By Darlene Bright, History Center Director
We need your Pictures!
Hurricanes Diana, Bertha, Fran, Dennis, Floyd and even Florence!
We’ve been organizing and cataloging all the photos in our collection. We’ve got lots and lots of pictures from the days right after Hurricane Hazel and the damage caused by what’s called the Great Atlantic Hurricane of 1944, but we have almost no pictures from our “modern” storms.
If you have pictures please consider LOANING them to us to scan and add to our digital archives. We’ll give them back, and give you a digitial copy as well. So dig out those scrapbooks or boxes of photos stashed in the closet and help us document an important historic aspect of life on our coast.
- The History Center recorded 78 visitors in August. There were 52 people at the August meeting.
- The History Center was used by the Got-Em-On Live Bait Club and the UDC.
- Welcome to new members Swan and John Gibbs of Rocky Mount and Katherine Schultz of Carolina Beach.
- Thanks to Steve Arthur for helping with the August Newsletter.Thanks to Anne Hood and Doris Bame providing refreshments for the August meeting.
- Thanks to everybody who helped with the Boardwalk walking tour: Elaine Henson, Darlene Bright, Leslie Bright, Jim Kohler, Steve Arthur, Doris Bame, Jim Dugan, Fred Fisher.
- Thanks to Jay Winner for pressure washing the handicapped ramp and the front of the building.
Our Plaque program is back on track and we’re receiving almost one application a month!
We want to especially thank Ned Barnes and his staff for volunteering to do the title searches on the properties. This makes the approval of an application much easier on the property owner and on our review committee.
Ned is a longtime business member and supporter of the Society. If you see Ned, be sure to give him a big thank you for all his support and we highly recommend him for any legal needs you may have. He’s right on the island at Pleasure Island Plaza, 1009 Lake Park Boulevard, North or call at 910-458-4466. Thanks again, Ned!