News Articles – 1907

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch, Wilmington Messenger

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

March 26, 1907
Members of the Board of County Commissioners went down into Federal Point and Masonboro Townships to confer with committees of citizens representing rival delegations urging the permanent improvement of one of the county roads leading into that section. The Commissioners are at sea as to which of two routes to adopt, the people of the townships differing upon which is best.

Messrs. Melvin Horne, Owen Martindale and Horton Freeman urged the adoption of the old Federal Point Road, and Messrs. G.W. Trask, George W. Rogers and D.J. Fergus urged the adoption of the ‘Masonboro route.’ A decision was postponed until the next meeting. WILM.STAR, 3-28-1907.

 

May 7, 1907
The application of Hans A. Kure to retail liquor at Carolina Beach was referred to the proper authority with power to act. WILM.STAR, 5-7-1907; WILM.MESSENGER, 5-7-1907.

 

May 10, 1907
The labor unions of Wilmington gave an excursion to Carolina Beach and it was a decided success in every way. Large crowds went to the beach on every boat and a delightful day was spent at that popular resort. There was dancing all day in the pavilion, music having been furnished by a fine orchestra of eight pieces. WILM.MESSENGER, 5-11-1907.

 

May 10, 1907
(advertisement) Go With The Trades Unionists Today On Their Excursion to Carolina Beach. Good Music for Dancing ALL Day Led by Mr. Sousa, Late of New York. Refreshments of All Kinds. Good Order All Day. WILMINGTON STAR, 5-10-1907.

Friday, the 10th of May, was observed by all organized bodies of laboring men in Wilmington with an all-day excursion and basket picnic at Carolina Beach. The committee of arrangements, operating under the auspices of the Central Labor Union of Wilmington, was composed of M. M. Parker, Jr., Lem King, W. G. Hatch, J.S. Bryan, J.H. Curtis, C.H. Huband, J.S. King, W.L. Riddle, J.J. Bell, B.J. Bryan, Jr., J. Ward, C.H. Bonham, Chas. Capps. Mr. C.G. Hatch acted as master of ceremonies, assisted by Mr. C.H. Huband. WILM.STAR, 5-11-1907.

 

May 16, 1907
It was announced that a citizen of Wilmington, aided by other citizens, had secured a cottage at Carolina Beach to be used during the summer season as a home for children of needy parents. It was to be different from the home that had been provided for sick children on Wrightsville Beach, in that it was to be used to furnish an outing for well children, who otherwise would be deprived of any recreation at the seashore. The cottage was to be opened about June 1st, and the children would be given a week‘s outing at a time. WILM.MESSENGER, 5-16-1907.

 

May 18, 1907
Mrs. J.W. Baskin was to conduct the restaurant at the large pavilion at Carolina Beach during the coming season. She promised the best of the ‘sea delicacies.’ Mrs. Baskin was also to have charge of the sleeping quarters of the pavilion. WILM.DISP, 5-18-1907; WILM.MESSENGER, 5-19-1907.

 

June 3, 1907
A license was granted to H.A. Kure, of Carolina Beach, to run a saloon in connection with his establishment. WILM.DISPATCH, 6-4-1907.

 

June 9, 1907
A sacred concert was held at Carolina Beach with Prof. J.J. Atkins, violinist and director, and Mr. E.H. Munson, pianist. A new concert piano from the house of Ludden & Bates, Wilmington, had just been installed in the large pavilion. It was of a fine tone and was manufactured for just such work as this concert. Professor Atkins‘ Orchestra was also to furnish the music for the mid-week dances every Wednesday night at the beach. WILM.DISP, 6-8-1907.

 

June 11, 1907
The ‘Rest Home’ on Carolina Beach, recently placed at the disposal of those persons who are needful of the ocean atmosphere and were not able to take an outing, was to be opened at Carolina Beach soon. It promised to result in much good and it was to be encouraged by the more fortunate in every way.
WILM.STAR, 6-11-1907; WILM.DISP, 6-10-1907.

 

June 14, 1907
The committee in charge of the ‘Rest Home’ at Carolina Beach decided on account of the cool weather to postpone the opening for a few days longer and in the meantime try to obtain 12 more cots with which to furnish the cottage. The plan is to accommodate ten boys one week and ten girls the next and so on through the summer. Mr. William Hall and family were to have charge of the cottage for the committee and the charity was to be dispensed interdenominationally. WILM.STAR, 6-14-1907.

 

June 16, 1907
The Adkins‘ Orchestra rendered the following programme at Carolina Beach today:

GLORY OF JAMESTOWN by the orchestra.
FAIRY TALE; overture, by Laurendeaun.
DEVOTION VALSE-LENTE, by Theo. Ward.
HERMIT MEDITATION (L‘Ermite) by Guenswold.
IF YOU LOVE BUT ME (From The Red Mill), by Victor Herbert.
STAR SPANGLED BANNER, by the orchestra.  WILM.STAR, 6-15-1907.

 

June 21, 1907
Mr. W. N. Harriss was placed in charge of the ‘Children‘s Rescue Home’ at Carolina Beach and he was accepting applications for admission to the home at his office and home in Wilmington. WILM.DISP, 6-21-1907.

 

June 27, 1907
The most successful Policeman‘s Excursion to Carolina Beach ever given was run yesterday. The steamer WILMINGTON made four trips to and from the beach. The excursion was free of charge, given by Capt. J.W. Harper and his steamer. The policemen and their special guests were guests of honor at one of the finest seashore dinners ever served. The menu included clam fritters, fried crabs, deviled crabs, oysters, clam chowder, fried trout, shrimp, black fish with green peas, cucumbers and tomatoes, coffee, cake and ice cream.

After dinner cigars were passed out and former Mayor Waddell expressed appreciation for everything on behalf of all present. There was dancing in the pavilion for several hours, and the last boat reached Wilmington at midnight.

During the day the committee of arrangements had prepared many contests with handsome prizes for the best and next best. The prizes included a pair of shoes, a rocking chair, a set of knives and forks, one dozen photographs, a layer cake, an umbrella, a safety razor, a handsome hat, a sweater, a gold scarf pin, and a box of cigars. The winners in the many contests included Sgt. C.W. Woolard, Policemen D.W. Colemen, Policeman Alex Wells, Sgt. C.S. Burnett, Policeman E.R. Chadwick, Policeman W.R. Smith, Policeman E. Piner, Police Chief N.J. Williams, Policeman M.P. Newton, Policeman Leon George, Pvt. Joseph Lane, Mr. J.H. Dew.
The judges were Alderman W.A. French, Jr., Capt. Thos. D. Meares and Col. C.H. White.

The Committee of Arrangements included Capt. Geo. W. Smith, Sgts. B.R. King and C.W. Woolard; Officers R.L. Truelove, J.J. Moore, D.W. Coleman, W.C. Moore, E.R. Chadwick, E.H. Dement and T.G. Evans. At the dance, the floor managers were Sgt. E.J. Grimsley and Pvt. W.R. Applebury. WILM.DISP, 5-23-1907, 6-24-1907; WILM.MESSENGER, 6-26-1907; 6-28-1907.

 

July 17, 1907
Messrs. W.E. Yopp and J.W. Fleet arrived back in Wilmington after two days of fishing on the wreck of the LYNX, at Carolina Beach. They caught a quantity of sheephead, pig fish and other varieties. In fact, they had the luck of their lives. The catch made an interesting exhibit for their friends in the city.
WILM.STAR, 7-19-1907.

 

August 24, 1907
Mr. Hans A. Kure, proprietor of the amusement pavilion at Carolina Beach, was offering cash prizes of $10 each in a bowling tournament and in a trap shoot on the traps at the beach, running for 10 days and beginning today. Parties could go down any day of the ten and take a trial for either or both of the prizes.
WILM.STAR, 8-24-1907.

 

September 1, 1907
The ‘Rest House’ at Carolina Beach closed for the season. The home was a success in every way, bringing sunshine and health to many boys and girls of Wilmington. It was well managed and the custodian, Mr. W.R. Hall, was kind and skillful in his duties. Capt. John W. Harper also greatly contributed as the boys and girls, stores and baggage, were transported to the beach free at all times.

The home opened on June 9th. During June, 55 boys and girls were entertained, being also furnished with bath suits. In July the number reached 96 and bath suits were furnished to 40, while in August the number was 81 boys and girls and 15 ladies, with forty more bathing suits furnished. WILM.DISP, 8-14-1907.

 

September 6, 1907
The fishing off Carolina Beach was reported to be exceptionally fine. Mr. Hans A. Kure and a party of ten persons went out in a steam yawl, about 2 1⁄2 miles off sore, and caught 300 of as fine sheephead, pig fish, trout and other varieties as were ever seen at the beach. They expected to return soon while the run was so good. WILM.STAR, 9-7-1907.

 

September 10, 1907
The season at Carolina Beach came to a close with the excursion of Bladen Street M.E. Church to that delightful resort. With the close of the season the steamer WILMINGTON changed her schedule to make trips to Southport only.

Capt. Harper reported that the season at Carolina Beach had been a very successful one from a financial pint of view. Large crowds had been handled and no accidents of a serious character had occurred. Capt. Harper had given his personal attention to the welfare and pleasure of all his guests.

For a short time longer the steamer WILMINGTON will make trips to Carolina Beach on Sundays, when oyster roasts will be served, but there will be no weekday schedule.

The excursion by Bladen Street Church was a very successful one. It was regretted that the exhibition of deep sea fishing by Capt. Burriss, off the pavilion, could not take place. Capt. Burriss was on hand, but for some reason, his crew failed to show up and the exhibition could not be given. WILMI.STAR, 9-11-1907.

 

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

News Articles – 1908

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch, Wilson Times

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

July 14, 1908
Twenty-two children of Grace M.E. Church Sunday School members of an excursion party at Carolina Beach for a day‘s outing, became violently ill, showing every symptom of ptomaine poisoning said to have been caused from ice cream served as refreshments, and causing much anxiety among the parents and friends of the little ones at the beach.

When the seriousness of the illness was noted, telephone messages were hurriedly sent to the city, a distance of 14 miles, for physicians to be sent down on the first boat. Capt. Harper placed the steamer SOUTHPORT at the disposal of the physicians, but Dr. J T. Schonwald was the only member of the profession to reach the boat before she left in a hurry for the beach.

Dr. Schonwald treated several of the patients and soon had them up an around and many returned on the evening trip aboard the steamer WILMINGTON. Dr. Schonwald stated upon his return that it was ptomaine poisoning but not of the most virulent form. All the children recovered without any further ill-effect from their rather dangerous experience. WILSON TIMES, 7-17-1908.

 

July 30, 1908
The CHARLOTTE OBSERVER wrote about “The Rocks” and in the article they mentioned that “The length of the dam from Federal Point to Zeke‘s Island is one mile, but the extension of Zeke‘s Island jetties to Smith‘s Island made the line much longer.

The rock foundation of this wall was from 90 feet to 120 feet wide at the base, and for three-fourths of the line the average depth of the stone wall is 30 feet from the top of the dam. In some places it is 36 feet deep. A better idea of the vastness of the undertaking may be gained from the fact that the rock used in this great structure would build a solid wall eight feet high, four feet thick, extending from Charlotte to Greensboro and one mile beyond. WILM.STAR, 7-30-1908.

 

October 13, 1908
The colored school building at Carolina Beach was destroyed by fire. It was a frame structure situated about half a mile from the river pier. The fire originated in a defective flue. The destruction of the building was total, however, the pupils managed to save some of the desks and books. About 30 pupils were enrolled at the school. The building was valued at about $500 and was insured for $250. Temporary arrangements were made to hold school in the colored church at the beach, situated near the location of the burned building. WILM.STAR, 10-14-1908.

 

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

News Articles – 1909

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

March 3, 1909
Mr. Walter Sprunt made a trip to Carolina Beach in his Maxwell automobile and it was stated that this was the first touring car to reach that point. WILM.DISP, 3-4-1909.

 

June 20, 1909
(advertisement) VISIT FISHER‘S RESTAURANT at Carolina Beach.
Daily menu: Pig fish, boiled or broiled trout, clam fritters, clam chowder, also stewed oysters, steamed or half shelled. Shrimp in all styles. Eggs in every style. Spring chicken, ham, assorted pickles, hot coffee and tea. WILM.STAR, 7-17-1909.

 

June 20, 1909  
The Chocolate Band performed a sacred concert at the pavilion on West Easy Street, Carolina Beach. WILM.DISP, 6-19-1909.

 

July 21, 1909
A decree of the Superior Court required a partition sale of real estate in a proceeding entitled Joseph Hawes, alias Joseph Doane, versus Celia Herring. It was to be sold today at public auction. Both tracts of land were in Federal Point Township.
First tract – W. A. McNeill‘s corner – J.A. Sanders line, to a pine in Lord‘s Creek, down Lord‘s Creek to Sheep Swamp, including 320 acres.
Second tract – John A. Sanders line, McNeill‘s corner, northern line of Oak Island tract, to a cedar in the river thence up Cape Fear River to McNeill‘s corner, containing 44 acres. WILM.DISP, 7-22-1909.

 

July, 1909
Real Estate Transfers:

  • James H. Burriss and wife to T. F. Boyd, of Richmond County, for $100 and other considerations, lot on Carolina Beach, 100×100 feet in size. WILM.STAR.
  • T.F. Boyd and wife, of Hamlet, N.C. to R.T. Finger and T.S. Cooper, of Hamlet, N.C., for $350, a lot in the proposed village of St. Joseph, Federal Point Township, 100 x 100 feet in size. WILM.STAR, 8-19-1909.

 

August 14, 1909
The Columbia Orchestra gave a sacred concert at Carolina Beach. WILM.STAR, 8-14-1909.

 

August 26, 1909
A party composed of Mr. and Mrs. L.H. Skinner, Mrs. Cuthbert Martin, Capt. and Mrs. John W. Harper, Mr. Evander Toomer and his daughters, and about forty others who were visiting at Carolina Beach enjoyed a delightful pilgrimage to the ancient ruins of Sedgeley Abbey, an historic spot of the lower Cape Fear, about which people have learned about from Mr. James Sprunt, in his book entitled “Tales and Traditions of the Lower Cape Fear.”

Few people were aware of this old and lovely spot until Mr. Sprunt shared his correct historical data of the Abbey as well as many other places which had been obliterated by the passage of the ages. Several pieces of ancient crockery were found by the party and are now on exhibition at the steamer WILMINGTON‘s wharf. The day was one of rare interest and pleasure by all in the party. WILM.STAR, 8-27-1909.

 

September 7, 1909
Carolina Beach closed for the season. It had been a very successful season and the travel there by actual figures was 35 per cent more than the summer of 1908. It was planned that next year the hotel would be remodeled, a lighting system would be installed, and other innovations. WILM.STAR, 9-8-1909.

 

December 14, 1909
The Wilmington, Southport and Carolina Beach Line operated three steamboats, the WILMINGTON, the SOUTHPORT, and the MADELEINE. This line connected with the New Hanover Transit Company for Carolina Beach, which is one of the finest Summer resorts on the Atlantic Coast. The resort is at the head of the sound and bathing and fishing could be enjoyed under the most favorable circumstances.
WILM.STAR, 12-14-1909.

 

December 19, 1909
Major Charles Pattison Bolles, 87, died at his home in Wilmington. He constructed the first sand battery on Cape Fear River, at Federal Point, which was the beginning of the Civil War fortifications at Fort Fisher. The battery was named “Battery Bolles” by the Wilmington Light Infantry who occupied it.

Maj. Gen. W. H. C. Whiting, who later commanded Fort Fisher, was a brother-in-law of Major Bolles. Interment was in Oakdale Cemetery, Wilmington. WILM.STAR, 12-21-1909.

 

December 19, 1909
The man that constructed the first battery at Fort Fisher was dead. Charles Pattison Bolles, Jr., died. He was born in Charleston, S.C., May 13, 1823. About 1844 he entered the U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey and he made the first authentic survey of the Frying Pan Shoals, the Cape Fear River, Beaufort Harbor, and the coast of Maine.

When the civil war broke out he entered the service of the Confederacy. He served as major of engineers on the staff of Gen. W.H.C. Whiting, in command of the Cape Fear River defenses. He constructed the first battery at Fort Fisher. From 1862 to 1865 he was in command of the Fayetteville Arsenal, and it was there that he devised means to utilize the Whitworth guns presented to the Confederacy by the British government. After the war he returned to civil engineering. In December, 1907, in his 85th year, he resigned from active duty. He was the oldest employee in the Navy Department.

 

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

News Articles – 1910

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

February 21, 1910
A ‘Good Roads Rally’ was held at Carolina Beach by citizens of Federal Point Township, for the purpose of discussing the good roads question. It was attended by a number of enthusiastic persons. The meeting was presided over by Mr. J.H. Williams. One of the features of the session was a strong and forceful speech by Mr. J.D. Fergus. In his remarks he called attention to the great need in Federal Point Township for good roads.

He believed that the township had been discriminated against as not a mile of good road had yet been installed in the township. He called attention to the fact that the loop now being made with the Masonboro road would not come within a mile of Federal Point Township. A committee of five drafted strong resolutions calling upon the county commissioners for relief. The meeting was held at Kure‘s at Carolina Beach with a big free oyster roast and fish fry. WILM.DISP, 2-17-1910; 2-22-1910.

 

April 15, 1910  
James W. Hollis was the census enumerator for Federal Point Township, New Hanover County. WILM.DISP, 4-14-1910.

 

May 4, 1910
Work was progressing on the grading of the Federal Point road. The road force had graded the thoroughfare for a distance of between 4 and 5 miles beyond the city limits. There remained only about 3 miles to be graded before the road would connect with the loop to be formed with the Whiskey Creek road, extending southward from the Masonboro Sound roadway. When the grading is completed the placing of rock will be started. The rock quarry was being worked full time now, accumulating the rock which will be placed on the Federal Point road. WILM.DISP, 5-4-1910.

 

May 20, 1910
The Carolina Beach Restaurant had recently opened and fine fish dinners could be secured at this restaurant. WILM.DISP, 5-21-1910.

 

June 5, 1910
Ellis Freeman, the well known caterer, was prepared to furnish Myrtle Grove oysters at Carolina Beach. He was making a specialty of roasts. ‘Truelove‘s Sauce’, new, delicious and appetizing, was the latest attraction with oysters. WILM.DISP, 6-3-1910.

 

September 10, 1910
The hotel at Carolina Beach, managed by Mr. Hugh Pearsall, was proving a great success, although Mr. Pearsall did not take charge until late in the season. WILM.STAR, 9-10-1910.

 

December 8, 1910
A fire, of incendiary origin, shortly before day, destroyed the hotel and pavilions belonging to Captain John W. Harper, and the bath houses and ‘Smith’ cottage, belonging to Mr. Hans A. Kure, at Carolina Beach, the whole entailing a loss of upwards of $15,000.

During the winter the beach is uninhabited and as there had been no fire on the premises for several days, perhaps, Capt. Harper is certain that the buildings had been set on fire. Justice George Harriss and Constable W.B. Savage went down and made an investigation, and found unmistakable evidence of incendiarism in tracks leading from the buildings and other circumstances.

The loss hit Capt. Harper hard as only last season he made a number of improvements to the property and had furnished the hotel newly throughout with everything needful to first-class accommodations and service. He estimated his loss at $12,000 or $13,000 with only $3,900 insurance. WILM.STAR, 12-9-1910.

 

December 20, 1910
Real Estate Transfer:

  • W.F.F. Newton and wife, et al., transfer to Archibald J. Hanby, for $100 and other considerations, 103 acres of land in Federal Point Township, adjoining lands of W.A. Ainsworth and others. WILM.STAR, 12-21-1910.

 

December 24, 1910
John M. Mathers, an expert road building engineer, whose home was in Scotland, had been hired by the county commissioners to have charge of building the Federal Point roadway. He had had considerable experience in building roads. He was to assume his new duties at once. WILM.DISP, 12-24-1910.

 

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

News Articles – 1911

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

January 1, 1911
The roll of honor of Oak Hill School in Federal Point Township, Miss Aleph Cason, teacher, for the month of December, 1910, was announced and was as follows: Mariam Newton, Annie Newton, Wesley Newton, Lottie Burnett, Elizabeth Burnett, George Biddle, Jessie Bonham, Lela Russ, Nellie Russ, Loyd Sanders, Kate Williams, Henry Williams and Sallie Williams. WILM.STAR, 1-6-1911.

 

January 22, 1911
The contract was let and plans were drawn for the Carolina Beach pavilion. The ballroom, when completed, will be the largest south of Washington, D.C. WILM.NEWS, 1-22-1911.

 

January 22, 1911
Without a doubt the largest strictly pleasure pavilion on the South Atlantic coast will be erected within the next few weeks on Carolina Beach. The plans and specifications for the magnificent new summer retreat were recently drawn for Capt. John W. Harper, owner of the property and the splendid steamer WILMINGTON by which it is reached, by architect Henry E. Bonitz, of Wilmington.

It was architect Bonitz who designed and supervised the construction of Lumina pavilion at Wrightsville Beach, but in the structure at Carolina Beach he has gone a step further and provided the largest and most completely equipped pavilion on the South Atlantic coast. The contract for building the new pavilion has recently been let to Mr. W.B. Bevill. WILM.STAR, 1-22-1911.

 

January 23, 1911
It was learned the R.F. Lewis, a citizen of Federal Point Township, had lost his home and all his household effects by fire several days earlier. Lewis and his family saved only the clothes they wore. There was no insurance on the house or contents. Many of his friends in Wilmington, including Rev. J.S. Crowley, of the Immanuel Presbyterian Church, requested charity for the family. Clothing, furniture and money were badly needed for their relief. Lewis had charge of the Federal Point School for some time. About a year ago he had been confined to his home as the result of an accident. He had just gotten things in fair shape financially when the fire wiped out everything. WILM.DISP, 1-23-1911.

 

February 15, 1911
Work was begun at Carolina Beach on the large and handsome pavilion, which will take the place of the one burned earlier. It was to be ready for the summer season during May. Capt. John W. Harper awarded the contract for the work to contractor, W.B. Bevil. The work of placing the lumber on the site had been in progress for some time. WILM.STAR, 2-16-1911.

 

March 24, 1911
Henry A. Martindale died at his home in Federal Point Township from heart disease. He was 74 years old. He died in the house in which he was born. His wife had died several years earlier. He was survived by two children, Owen Martindale, and Mrs. R.M. Johnson who lived with her father. There were five grandchildren. He was a veteran of the Confederate army. Interment was on March 25th in the family burial ground. WILMI.DISP, 3-25-1911.

 

April 29, 1911
One of the largest and handsomest dancing pavilions in the South was nearing completion at Carolina Beach. It was the property of Capt. John W. Harper, owner of the steamer WILMINGTON and the promoter of Carolina Beach. The new pavilion was to have one of the finest floors for dancing to be found anywhere. The music and dancing at the resort will be made a feature of the life there. Beach season was to open about June 1st. WILM.DISP, 4-29-1911

 

May 8, 1911
While bound for Carolina Beach on the usual daily trip down the river the steamer WILMINGTON lost its wheel. Another wheel was sent down from the city and it was soon installed. WILM.DISP, 5-9-1911.

 

May 23, 1911
The Marine Engineers Beneficial Association held their outing at Carolina Beach. Their excursion was the first of the season. There was music and dancing and a general good time was had.  WILM.STAR, 5-29-1911.

 

May 23, 1911
There were persistent rumors that there was planned a big development for Carolina Beach. It was known that T.F. Boyd and several other citizens of Hamlet, N.C., as well as several gentlemen from Michigan, interested in such a project.

It had been learned that Roland Freeman, one of the heirs to the Freeman estate, colored, (which owns considerable quantities of land near Carolina Beach had practically closed negotiations for the sale of 250 acres of land owned by the estate and that he had also agreed to give options on a like amount of territory. The home of Roland Freeman was near the beach. From the rumors it seemed that an effort was being considered to promote the advantages of Carolina Beach. WILM.DISP, 5-23-1911.

 

May 23, 1911
Although there had not been any confirmation of the report, it was practically confirmed that Captain Harper had sold his holdings at Carolina Beach to a company of stockholders who were to develop the beach. The New Hanover Transit Company, of which Captain Harper was the principal owner, controlled about 200 acres of land at the beach, the railway from that resort to the Cape Fear River pier two miles across the peninsula, and the river connection of the steamer WILMINGTON. It was rumored that the consideration was between $20,000 and $25,000.

The gentlemen interested in the development of Carolina Beach had been patrons and owners of property at Southern Pines and Pinehurst. One of the first improvements to be considered by the developers was the establishment of an electric line between Wilmington and the beach, possibly all the way to the site of Fort Fisher. WILM.DISP, 5-24-1911.

 

May 25, 1911
The annual excursion of the Daughters of Liberty was held at Carolina Beach. Several hundred people attended. The events of the day were: Hobble skirt races, boys‘ race, barrel race and bicycle race. The judges of the races were Mrs. N. Lewis, Miss Pearl Bryant and Mr. D. B. Hamilton. Music was provided by the Independent Band, composed of 18 pieces. This was the first public appearance of the band, which was composed of some of the most talented musicians of Wilmington. WILM.STAR , 5-28-1911.

 

June 1, 1911
The Daughters of Liberty, a branch of the Junior Order United American Mechanics, with a large membership in Wilmington, held one of the first excursions of the beach season. The outing to Carolina Beach will be made a gala occasion. B.D. Hamilton was in charge of the excursion. WILM.DISP, 5-16-1911.

 

June 6, 1911
The Daughters of Rebekah, the women‘s branch of the Odd Fellowship, ran their first excursion of the season to Carolina Beach. The proceeds of the excursion were to go toward the school which the Odd Fellows were to establish at their home at Goldsboro, N. C. WILM.STAR, 5-28-1911.

 

June 29, 1911 …. Fort Fisher
Capt. J. W. Harper was displaying an unexploded bomb shot by the fighting Confederates during the battle of Fort Fisher. It was recovered by a suction dredge working in the river channel near Fort Fisher. It was about 18 inches long and weighed about 50 pounds. WILM.DISP, 6-29-1911.

 

July 4, 1911
Carolina Beach celebrated the Glorious Fourth in an appropriate manner. The Daughters of Liberty, an auxiliary of the Junior Order of United American Mechanics, operated an all-day excursion from Wilmington. Hundreds took advantage of the delightful trip down the river. Surf bathing was very popular. A band was on hand for the occasion and dancing was an attractive feature of the day.

Including an excursion run from Town Creek, in Brunswick County, which brought about 200 people, it was estimated that there were over 1,000 pleasure seekers taking part in the day‘s festivities. The steamer WILMINGTON was kept busy.  WILM.DISP, 7-5-1911.

 

August 3, 1911
The Cape Fear Independent Band of Wilmington had one of the most successful excursions to Carolina Beach of the season. The steamer made three trips and hauled a total of 616 passengers. The last boat returned to Wilmington at midnight. There was music by a brass band and a string band and dancing all day. Mr. B.D. Hamilton was the general manager of the band. WILM.STAR, 8-4-1911.

 

August 6, 1911
Two delightful concerts were given in the handsome new pavilion at Carolina Beach by Peiffer‘s Orchestra, of the Airdome Theatre, in Wilmington.

Afternoon concert:
UNDER THE BANNER OF VICTOR, by Von Blon.
SOFTLY UNAWARES, by Linke.
I LOVE IT; medley, by Von Tilzer.
HEARTS ON FIRE, by H. Bauer.
AUTUMN BREEZES; tone poem, by King.
STOP, STOP, STOP and SOME OF THESE DAYS, two popular numbers.
THE DOLLAR PRINCESS; selection, by Leon Fall.
THE WINNING FIGHT; march, by Abe Holzman.

Evening concert:
AGUDWUN; march, by Shipman.
STANDARD AMERICAN AIRS; patriotic overture, arranged by Geo. Rosey.
THE GLOW WORM, by Linke.
STEAMBOAT BILL and PUT YOUR ARMS AROUND ME HONEY, popular numbers.
SERENADE, by Moszkowski.
THE CHOCOLATE SOLDIER; selection, by Oscar Strauss. WILM.STAR, 8-4-1911.

 

August 14, 1911
An alligator‘s nest with 42 alligator eggs in the process of hatching was discovered by a group of visitors near what was known as the ‘Big Pond,’ in the Sound, above Mr. H.A. Kure‘s place. Some of the eggs were taken to Wilmington, where the eggs and the young alligators draw a lot of attention. It was explained to the uninformed that the alligator lays her eggs in the marshes and covers them with a formation of murk, mud and sticks where the sun is allowed to hatch the youngsters out. WILM.STAR, 8-15-1911; 8-16-1911.

 

August 27, 1911
The Airdome Orchestra performed for the second time at Carolina Beach. The program included:

Afternoon Concert:
THE INDIAN‘S BRIDE; march, by Dave Reed, Jr.
MY CAVALIER; Spanish waltz, by Jos. S. Nathan.
CARPET RAGS, by Ramond O‘Connor.
TIME PLACE AND THE GIRL, by S. R. Henry;
STOP YOUR QUITTIN‘, SPRING SONG, by Mendelssohn.
MEDLEY OF POPULAR SONGS, by Ted Snyder.
THE PEACOCK STRUT, by the Cascades.

Evening Concert:
UNSER HEINRICH MARCH, by Paris Chambers.
VENETIAN SERENADE, by Lerman
INDIAN MARCH; characteristic, by Hardy.
THAT DREAMY ITALIAN WALTZ, by Piandotsi.
THE LAST CALL, by Williams.
POPPYLAND; Caprice, by Tolhurst.
CAROLINA BEACH MARCH, by Pfeiffer.

 

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

News Articles – 1912

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

February 12, 1912
Estell Lewis, daughter of R. F. and H. L. Lewis, died. Born 9-27-1910. Interment in Federal Point Cemetery.

 

March 7, 1912
It was confirmed that the Southern Realty Company, of Wilmington, had closed a deal with Captain John W. Harper for his extensive holdings at Carolina Beach. The announcement was from the office of the A.W. Pate Company. The consideration was in the neighborhood of $30,000.

The Southern Realty and Development Company, of which Mr. A.W. Pate was president; Mr. D.N. Chadwick, Jr., vice president, and Mr. J.J. Loughlin, secretary and treasurer, had plans on foot which was to result in the development of a modern summer and winter resort at Carolina Beach.

The purchase included nearly 200 acres of land with a beach two miles long, a railroad, two pavilions, bath houses, etc. Capt. Harper of the Harper steam lines, made an exclusive contract with the new owners, to supply steamer service for two years. WILM.STAR, 3-8-1912; 3-19-1912.

 

May 11, 1912
Mr. M.S. Winner, the well known pianist now engaged at the Crystal Palace, and Miss Mary Russell, of Fayetteville, were married at the home of the groom‘s uncle on Market Street in Wilmington. They were to make their home in the city. WILM.STAR, 5-12 -1912.

 

June, 1912
Real Estate Transfers:

  • John W. Harper and wife to Hanover Transit Company, for $1 and other considerations, lot in Federal Point Township, on Carolina Beach. WILM.STAR, 6-6-1912.
  • S. T. Cooper and others to T. F. Boyd, for $200, lot on Carolina Beach, 100 x 100 feet in size. WILM.STAR, 6-21-1912.

 

June 12, 1912
Mrs. J. W. Cavanaugh, of Federal Point Township, died at her home. Survived by her husband and four children. Interment was in Bryant‘s graveyard.
WILM.STAR, 6-13-1912.

 

August 23, 1912
The regular Friday ‘Hoo-Doo’ Dance by Scelzi‘s Orchestra was given in the Carolina Beach pavilion. WILM.STAR, 8-21-1912.

 

August 30, 1912
The last ―’Hoo-Doo’ dance at Carolina Beach was held. A series of these dances were conducted by the popular Scelzi Orchestra, and they had been greatly enjoyed . A splendid prize was given to the best waltzing couple on the floor. WILM.DISP, 8-26-1912.

 

October, 1912
Infant daughter of J. W. & Rebecca Davis. Born and died October, 1912. Interment in Federal Point Cemetery.

 

October 7, 1912
An application was made to the New Hanover County Board of Commissioners for a franchise for street car, electric light, and gas privileges to Carolina Beach. WILMI.DISP, 10-8-1912.

 

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

News Articles – 1913 -1914

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

March 10, 1913
Mr. D. H. Winslow, the U. S. Superintendent of Road Construction, spent a few days in the southern part of the county, advising on the maintenance and construction of improved roads, discovered a stratum of shell rock reaching from a point near Carolina Beach to the end of Federal Point.

The discovery was important to the county for the rock was better adapted to road building than that mined for the purpose from the quarry east of Wilmington. It was declared harder than the rock from the quarries and had not reached the same stage of decomposition. By using this rock the proposed road to Federal Point could be built at very little cost. WILM.STAR, 3-11-1913.

 

May 19, 1913
‘A Tent City’ at Carolina Beach during the summer was the latest scheme to aid in the development of the resort. The plan was to tent more than 100 people for a period of two weeks. The scheme was by Mr. James G. Bailey, of Southport, the manager, and it had the endorsement and approval of the New Hanover Transit Company, which now controlled Carolina Beach. This summer camp scheme was much in vogue along the Long Island and New Jersey coast.

The camp site was located on the mainland beach with 50 yards of the tide line. Surf bathing was immediately at hand, followed by fresh water shower baths furnished by the camp. The charge was 15 days at the low cost of $ 12.50 per person, which included board and fishing, excursions, etc., with extra charge.

It was suggested to dress simply and the camper had to bring his own sheets, pillowcases, blankets, towels and soap. The camp management did the rest. WILM.DISP , 5-19-1913.

 

July 12, 1913
Marx. S. Nathan, of Wilmington, a former theatrical business man, was hired by the New Hanover Transit Company as special advertising director. The company owned most of Carolina Beach and they wanted to carry on an extensive advertising campaign throughout southern United States. WILM.STAR, 7-12-1913.

 

August 23, 1913
Real Estate Transfer – One of the largest land deals in the county in point of acreage for several years past was closed today when Messrs. D.L. Gore, W.K. Allen, A.W. Pate and J.J. Loughlin purchased the old Sanders or Harriss place, midway between Wilmington and Carolina Beach. WILM.STAR, 8-24-1913.

 

August 23, 1913
One of the largest land deals in New Hanover County for many years was when Messrs. D.L. Gore, W.K. Allen, A.W. Pate and J.J. Loughlin became the owners of the old Sanders, or Harriss, estate half way between Wilmington and Carolina Beach. The tract of land included 1,800 acres. The deal indicated that the southern part of the county was now claiming the attention of expert real estate men. WILM.DISP, 8-23-1913.

 

December 16, 1913
One of the prettiest and most attractive advertising booklets in some time had been issued by the New Hanover Transit Company, advertising Carolina Beach. The map was done handsomely in colors. It showed first an aerial perspective of the entire southern section of the county and the beach, then the northern section of Carolina Beach from Second Avenue to Myrtle Grove Sound, and finally a comprehensive map of the entire beach on a scale of 300 feet to 1 inch. Mr. Sig. Zulawsky was the sales manager of the New Hanover Transit Company, Mr. A.W. Pate was president and Mr. J.J. Loughlin was secretary and treasurer. WILM.DISP, 12-16-1913.

 

March – November, 1913
Real Estate Transfers:

  • S. J. Ellis and wife to D. R. Foster, trustee, for $10 and other considerations, two lots at Carolina Beach. WILM.STAR, 3-12-1913.
  • New Hanover Transit Company to M. W. Johnson, for $350, Lot 9 in Block 1, northern section of Carolina Beach. WILM.STAR, 3-20-1913.
  • New Hanover Trust Co. sold to E. N. Walton, for $100 and other considerations, a lot at Carolina Beach. WILM.STAR, 6-9-1913.
  • The New Hanover Transit Company to J. R. Mercer, of Hallsville, N. C., for $100 and other considerations, Lot 2 in Block 12, Carolina Beach. WILM.STAR, 7-11-1913.
  • The New Hanover Transit Company to S. Abramowitz, for $100 and other considerations, Lot 4 in Block 29, Carolina Beach. WILM.STAR, 7-13-1913.
  • D.R. Foster, trustee, to B. May and wife, for $50 and other considerations, lot at Carolina Beach, ‘located between the original hotel and the ladies‘ cottage.’ WILM.STAR, 7-23-1913.
  • The New Hanover Transit Company to Laura A. Mercer, of Hallsville, N. C. , for $100 and other considerations, Lot 4 in Block 8, Carolina Beach. WILM.STAR, 9-11-1913.
  • New Hanover Transit Company to A. W. Middleton, for $100 and other considerations, a lot at Carolina Beach. WILM.DISP, 9-13-1913.
  • The New Hanover Transit Company to A. W. Middleton, for $100 and other considerations, Lot 9 in Block 4, Carolina Beach. WILM.STAR, 9-14-1913.
  • New Hanover Transit Company to Percy R. Smith, for $100 and other considerations, Lot 4 in Block 4, Carolina Beach. WILM.STAR, 9-30-1913.
  • The New Hanover Transit Company sold to J. L. Lewis, for $100 and other considerations, a lot at Carolina Beach. WILM.DISP, 11-24-1913.

 

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994


 

News Articles – 1914

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch, Wilmington Messenger

 

January 21, 1914
It was learned that the new Belfast Land company, recently chartered under the laws of North Carolina, planned to develop Myrtle Grove Beach, located 1 1⁄4 miles from Carolina Beach, as a resort for the colored people. [the future Seabreeze]  (Star, 1-22-1914)

 

January 22, 1914
The purpose of the Belfast Land company, recently chartered by the N. C. Secretary of State in Raleigh, was to develop 200 or more small vineyards in the vicinity of Carolina Beach pier. Each was to contain five acres. One hundred vines would be planted in each acre, and it was hoped that they would obtain their full growth within five years when the grapes could be gathered. Dr. S. R. Maxwell was president of the company and Mr. W. B. Herring was secretary and treasurer. (Dispatch, 1-22-1914)

 

February 28, 1914
In an effort to get the government to appropriate $5,000. in dredging the Cape Fear River in front of Carolina Beach pier, Brooke G. Empie, representing Capt. J.W. Harper, owner and master of the steamer WILMINGTON, and others, had been in Washington during the week discussing the matter with the North Carolina delegation in Congress. He talked with Senator Simmons and Congressman Godwin.

The government spent $1,000. on the work two years ago but the tides had operated to fill up the channel so that it was necessary to have it dredged again. It would require from 30 to 60 days to do the work. (Star, 2-29-1914)

 

February 28, 1914
An attorney was in Washington, D. C. representing Capt. John W. Harper and others, in an effort to get the government to appropriate $5,000 in dredging the Cape Fear River in front of the Carolina Beach pier. It was very desirable to have a wider and deeper channel at this point as this was the only landing on the east side of the river between Wilmington and Bald Head Island. There was considerable freight hauled to Carolina Beach during summer, making a landing place essential.

The government spent $1,000 on the work in 1912 but the tides have operated to fill up the channel so that dredging is needed again. It would require 30 to 60 days to do the work, and it was hoped that it would be done before the upcoming summer season. (Star, 2-28-1914)

 

April 1, 1914
Electricity was to be generated on Carolina Beach this coming season to furnish lights which would be used in illuminating the resort at night. The machinery was shipped down the river this morning to be installed. It was hoped to have the plant in operation within 30 days. (Dispatch, 4-1-1914)

 

May 1, 1914
Abe Ross, a black fisherman employed by W.H. Yopp, caught a 425-pound sturgeon in an ordinary river net at the Carolina Beach pier. The fish was 9 feet 4 inches long and the largest ever captured in the area, and so far as is known, the largest ever caught in North Carolina waters. (Dispatch, 5-2-1914)

 

May 2, 1914
THE VANISHED HOUSE – A two-room frame dwelling recently erected by Messrs. G.H. and M.A. Currie, of Clarkton, in Federal Point Township, to replace one that was burned by an incendiary three months earlier, was torn down and removed to some point not yet revealed to the owners.

The tenant, Taylor Clifton, an aged white man, was missing and there was a suspicion that he had met with foul play. Mr. Clifton had lived in the house for two weeks earlier, having moved there from Clarkton, and he had relatives living in Wilmington. The house was completely dismantled with every vestige of lumber removed, and with it all the furniture and effects in the dwelling. The site of the house was between the river and the ocean about 1 1⁄2 miles south of the Carolina Beach pier. It had been completed only two weeks before its disappearance on the site of the burned dwelling. (Dispatch, 5-11-1914)

 

May 12, 1914
THE VANISHED HOUSE – The vanished house on the Cape Fear River, near Carolina Beach pier, was found. Deputy Sheriff W.H. Kermon reported that he found the lumber of the dwelling that disappeared in the yard of Mr. T.H. Nelson.

Five men, Messrs. A.W. Pate, W.M. Pate, and T.H. Nelson, white, and Frank Murphy and Henry Farrow, colored, were arrested under a warrant charging that they had removed the house. Warrants were out for two other colored persons.

The old man who mysteriously disappeared about the time the house was torn to the ground was reported as having left Wilmington on a north-bound train. Why he left the house immediately preceding its demolition was still a question.

One of the owners admitted that there had been a controversy about the land upon which the dwelling was located between G.H. and M.A. Currie, of Clarkton and the Hanover Transit Company, of which Mr. A.W. Pate was president. (Dispatch, 5-12-1914)

 

May 13, 1914
THE VANISHED HOUSE – Complaint in the case of Alexander W. Pate and Joseph J. Loughlin against Geroge H. Currie and his wife, Nell A. Currie, W.H. Kermon and H. Mack Godwin, was instituted in Superior Court.

It was an action for $10,000 alleged damages to land in federal Point Township which the plaintiffs claim have been in their absolute possession for over 30 years.

The land in controversy, Mr. Currie claimed was inherited by him. It was now a part of a large tract which Messrs. Pate & Loughlin, under the name of New Hanover Transit Comnpany, were developing in Federal Point Township.

The bringing of the suit by Messrs. Pate & Loughlin follows closely the indictment of Mr. Pate and six others on a charge of demolishing and removing a small two-room frame dwelling which was located on the land in dispute and occupied the site of another small building which had been burned about three months earlier. The building had been erected by the defendant Currie.

The plaintiffs allege that the defendant in the action did, with force and arms, on December 22nd, 1913, enter upon a portion of this tract at the southwestern part and trespassed upon land which had been in the possession on the plaintiffs for a long time and was at that time posted.

It is further averred that a shack was built without the knowledge of the plaintiffs and that the defendants did wrongfully place some person in charge of the building for the purpose of wrongfully taking possession of the land in question. A few days later the shack was burned and the plaintiffs aver that they are informed and believe that the fire occurred through the negligence of the agent of the defendant. The defendants repeatedly trespassed and entered upon the land after having been warned not to do so.

The complaint further sets out that the defendants had greatly damaged the property and had cut down trees. On or about April 29th, the defendants with a large force of men did build a barbed-wire fence along a portion of the lands in spite of a protest entered by Thomas E. Nelson, an agent of the plaintiffs.

A small house was built on the lands and this act had brought a cloud on the title to the land which had caused the plaintiffs great damage. The plaintiffs contended that the defendants had wrongfully, maliciously and willfully, with force and arms, attempted to wrest the possession of a portion of the said lands from the plaintiffs.

It was also set forth in the complaint that G.H. Currie and two servants or employees, W.H. Kermon and H. Mack Godwin, both of whom were armed with pistols and one with a black-jack, trespassed upon the land and that the latter two did, over protest of the agent of the plaintiffs, spend the night of May 10th upon the lands. The plaintiffs alleged that H. Mack Godwin did use threatening language to some of the plaintiffs or their agents. (Dispatch, 5-15-1914)

 

THE VANISHED HOUSE – Justice Bornemann rendered judgment in the cases in which Messrs. A.W. Pate, W.M. Pate, J.J. Loughlin and T.H. Nelson, and four negroes, Roscoe and Ellis Freeman and Frank Murphy were charged with demolishing a house in the possession of Messrs. G.H. and M.A. Currie, near Carolina Beach.

All the cases were dismissed with the exception of those against Messrs. Loughlin and Nelson, probable cause against whom was found. Three witnesses were examined, these being Mr. G.H. Currie, Deputy Sheriff Reynolds and William Highsmith, colored.  Henry Farrow, colored, in whose case the State took a nol pros in order to use him as a witness, furnished the most important evidence. He described the tearing away of the house and its being carted away.

Mr. Currie placed in evidence a deed to prove this title to the land upon which the house was built. Three hundred acres were involved. Deputy Sheriff Reynolds testified as to finding some articles identified as having been taken from the house in question in the possession of Mr. Nelson. (Dispatch, 5-20-1914)

 

May 20, 1914
On the anniversary of the signing of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence at Charlotte, the annual excursion of the Junior Order to Carolina Beach was held. The Junior Order started their day with patriotic services at St. James’ Episcopal Church, and they went to the church yard and decorated the grave of Cornelius Harnett, the Revolutionary War patriot, and there they read the Declaration of Independence. Following the exercises they boarded the steamer WILMINGTON for a cruise down the river to Carolina Beach. Music was provided by West’s Orchestra and many enjoyed dancing to the fine music. A short address was made to the group by Mr. John J. Blair. (Dispatch, 5-19-1914)

 

May 29, 1914
THE VANISHED HOUSE – The charge of conspiracy against Taylor Clifton, the old white man who left the Currie house near Carolina Beach, and was accused of conspiring with the Hanover Transit Company to break the law, was arraigned before Magistrate Harriss. The case was continued when Messrs. J.J. Loughlin and T.H. Nelson will be tried on a like charge. (Dispatch, 5-29-1914)

 

June 2, 1914
THE VANISHED HOUSE – Two hundred dollars was Taylor Clifton’s price for decamping, according to evidence before the Recorder Judge in the case of J.J. Loughlin, Esq., and T.H. Nelson who were being tried for destroying a house near Carolina Beach. Clifton was now appearing against Nelson and Loughlin and his story served to clear some foggy points in the case.

He said that he was taken to the house by Mr. Currie, and instructed to stay there. On the following day, Mr. Loughlin came to him and asked him who he was and what he was doing there. Clifton said he told him that he was there for Mr. Currie and had instructions to keep trespassers off the property. Mr. Loughlin then told him that the property did not belong to Mr. Currie, and that he had best get off. Clifton then said that he did not see Mr. Loughlin again until several days later at Carolina Beach, when he informed Loughlin that he would not get off the land until he had heard from Mr. Currie. Nothing then occurred for several days. Clifton said he could not sleep at night, because of unusual noises around the house – men talking in low tones of voice, etc. He said he was frightened.

Ten days after he had arrived at the house he was approached by a man named Bryan, whom he said was employed by the Hanover Transit Company, of which Mr. Loughlin was an officer. Bryan asked him how much he wanted to get out. Clifton said that he replied that he would not leave for less than $200.

Bryan then replied that he would see what he could do, and left. He returned the next night and said that Clifton had a chance to get the $200 if he wanted it, whereupon the old man told him to bring it along.

Bryan arrived about daylight next morning, brought the $200, delivered it to Clifton, and received from Clifton $25 for his services. Clifton then left in an automobile that had been provided, came to Wilmington and then went to Virginia, where he spent a week and then returned to North Carolina, where he was arrested. The case was continue. (Dispatch, 6-2-1914)

 

June 8, 1914
A special trip will be made by the steamer WILMINGTON at a small rate of 10 cents for a round trip, in order that the people of Wilmington can get a first glimpse of a remodeled, made-over, renovated, beautified , extended, and greatly bettered Carolina Beach. A large number of improvements had been made at the beach and quite a few cottages were being built. (Dispatch, 5-28-1914)

 

June 13, 1914
Carolina Beach Notes:

  • A concert will be given in the pavilion at Carolina Beach on June 14th by Prof. Brown and his Victoria Orchestra. Popular medleys and selections from latest music will be rendered.
  • Mr. J.W. Blake had closed a $1,000 contract to install an up-to-date electric light plant and wire all buildings including the pavilion, which will be lit with decorative lights. He had already begun his work.
  • Mr. A.W. Pate had moved into his new cottage, which had just been completed by Mr. H.L. Smith, contractor, who was building four additional new cottages for the company and two new cottages for private individuals.
  • Mr. B. May had completed his cottage, and was to establish a branch store of his delicatessen business which had grown so popular with the Wilmington public. The tents used last year by Bailey’s camp were still at the beach and will be used this season. (Dispatch, 6-13-1914)

 

June 16, 1914
Mr. B. May, of the well known Wilmington delicatessen, stated that he would not open a branch of his store at Carolina Beach this season, but he probably would next summer. He had built a cottage at the resort, which was occupied this season by his family. (Dispatch, 6-16-1914)

 

June 21, 1914
A concert was given at Carolina Beach by Prof. W. R. H. Brown’s orchestra.
The program included:

ALL ABOARD FOR DIXIE; march, by Cobb & Gumble.
BLUE DANUBE; waltz, by Ivanovici.
OH YOU DRUMMER; a drum solo, by Hill.
NEW YORK, LONDON AND PARIS; selection, by Stern.
MUSIC MUSIC; march, by Kmoch.

Intermission

I AM CRYING JUST FOR YOU ; march, by Monaco.
THE FUTHRIST; waltz, by Burch.
TOO MUCH GINGER; one-step, by Daly.
TELL TATTLER’S TUNES; selection, by Toll Taylor.
FLOATING DOWN THE RIVER; march, by White & Loyd. (Dispatch, 6-20-1914)

 

June 25, 1914
The annual Police Excursion was underway. Mayor Parker Quince Moore and Councilman W. F. Jones were the speakers of the day. (Dispatch, 6-25-1914)

More than 1,000 visitors journeyed to Carolina Beach on the annual police excursion. There was a tug-of-war contest, with 15 men on either side, and it was won by Sgt. Grimsley’s team, which defeated Capt. Woolard’s aggregation. The lightweight 100-yard dash was won by J. O. Bullard; middleweight by M. C. Huggins, and heavyweight by S H. Fulford. A. D. Smith was the winner of the annual target short. (Dispatch, 6-26-1914)

 

July 5, 1914
Three concerts were given at the Carolina Beach pavilion. They were at 11 a.m., 4 p.m., and at 7 p.m. The music was provided by Prof. W.R.H. Brown’s Orchestra. The evening concert was made more enjoyable by the rendition of a vocal solo by Mr. Harold Pate at 7:30 p. m. (Dispatch, 7-4-1914)

 

July 17, 1914
Road superintendent Burnett reported that good progress was being made on grading the highway to Carolina Beach. The “big hill” which involved a large amount of excavating, had been graded and when the road is strawed for its remaining length, there will be a “straight line” for automobiles to the beach.  (Star, 7-17-1914)

 

August 5, 1914
The Street Department workers of Wilmington held their first annual outing to Carolina Beach. One of the main events at the beach will be a chase after a lean and lanky greased razorback hog. The first man to land safely on the hog and holds it will be awarded a prize. The Committee of Arrangements was composed of Messrs. J. W. Smith, chairman; Miles Carter, Oscar Croom, J. H. Williams, O. F. Boyette and J. H. Jones. (Star, 7-25-1914)

 

April – August, 1914
Real Estate Transfers

  • The New Hanover Transit Company to J.F. Somers, of Salisbury, N. C., for $100 and other considerations, Lot 13 in Block 47 Carolina Beach. (Dispatch, 4-29-1914)
  • New Hanover Transit Company to Carolina State Council of the Knights of Columbus, for $10 and other considerations, Lot 5, Carolina Beach. (Dispatch, 6-29-1914)
  • New Hanover Transit Company to Alice Wells, for $100 and other considerations, Lot No 2, Block 3, Carolina Beach. (Star, 7-19-1914)
  •  A.W. Pate and others to A.W. Pate, trustee, for $1 and other considerations, 100-foot right-of-way through Carolina Beach property. (Star, 8-12-1914)
  • New Hanover Transit Company to J. W. Blake and wife, for $100 and other considerations, Lot No. 1 in Block 46, Carolina Beach. (Star, 8-12-1914)
  • Right-of-way transfers to the Tidewater Power Company, and to Mr. A.W. Pate, trustee, for the Wilmington & Carolina Beach Railway Company. (Star, 8-12-1914)
  • Right-of-way deeds were also filed from Louis Goodman, T. H. Hall and wife, Joseph Harriss and wife and Wm. H. Batson to A.W. Pate, trustee, for the Wilmington & Carolina Beach Railway Company. (Star, 8-14-1914)
  • Edelweiss French Richards, and Elias Richards, of Virginia, to Irene McCall, of Florence, S. C., for $2,000, lot at Carolina Beach, known as the “French Cottage” lot. (Star, 8-15-1914)
  • Right-of-way deeds were filed conveying right of way from George Honnett and others, and A. M. McKoy and others, to A. W. Pate, trustee, for the Wilmington & Carolina Beach Railway Company. (Star, 8-18-1914)
  • J.N. Freeman and wife transfer to A.W. Pate, trustee, for the Wilmington & Carolina Beach Railway, for $1 and other considerations, a 100-foot right–of-way through their lands in Federal Point Township. (Star, 8-19-1914)
  • M.W. Johnson and wife to New Hanover Transit Company, for $385, Lot No. 9 in Block 1, Carolina Beach. (Star, 8-21-1914)
  • J.M. Newton and wife to J.C. Newton and G.F. Newton, for $10 and other considerations, tract in Federal Point township, on east side of Cape Fear River and Atlantic Ocean, containing about 500 acres. (Star, 8-25-1914)

 

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

News Articles – 1915

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

March 8, 1915
Real Estate Transfer:
Marion L. Winner and wife to A.W. Pate and J.J. Loughlin, for $100 and other considerations, 21 3⁄4 acres of land at Carolina Beach. WILM.DISPATCH, 3-8-1915.

 

March 16, 1915
The contractor had his convicts at work on the new road at Carolina Beach, the 7 1⁄2 miles between the ‘Loop’ road and the beach.

From a historical standpoint this stretch of road south of the ‘Loop’ was one of the most interesting in the county. By the roadside could be seen the famous double breastworks used by the Confederates to defend this section from invasion, while at intervals could be seen long avenues, leading to the sound from the river. These roads were hundreds of years old and were used until later years in the salt making industry, which was of quite large proportions here at one time.

A short distance further to the right going down to the beach, was Sedgely Abbey, the historical old ruins spoken of in Mr. James Sprunt‘s new book, ‘Chronicles of the Cape Fear.’ This old mansion was connected with the sound by means of a perfectly straight avenue which could still be dimly seen.

Further down on the river side half miles from the road, was the site of the famous old Gander Hall, whose colonial owner made himself a joke forever in this community by going into the business of raising geese. Preferring to raise the large white ones exclusively, he purchased scores of that kind, with the result that he had a farm full of ganders and not a lady goose in the bunch.

It was also interesting to notice the red cedar telephone poles which line the roadside. These were used by the government during the Spanish-American War to connect Wilmington by telegraph with a signal station shortly this side of the beach in order that Wilmington might be warned of the approach of the anticipated Spanish fleet. Later the poles were sold to a telephone company when all danger was past. WILM.DISPATCH, 3-15-1915.

 

March 28, 1915
Work was started on a fine bungalow to be erected for General Frank A. Bond, of Buies, NC, on his property at Fort Fisher Sea Beach. Mr. J.F.Leitner was the architect and Mr. J.J, Crews was the builder, both of Wilm. WILM.STAR, 3-28-1915.

 

June 6, 1915
The preliminary work was underway for a 600-foot fishing pier extending out from a 30-room club house to and beyond the famous old blockade runner BEAUREGARD wreck 500 yards south of the Carolina Beach pavilion. A company had been formed and a charter applied for. The steel piling for the pier had been cast and was ready to be shipped. The project was to cost about $5,000, to be divided evenly between the pier and the club house. The incorporators were Messrs. W.E. Yopp, J.C.Herring, W.W Pate and J.J. Loughlin. WILM.DISPATCH, 6-8-1915.

 

June 8, 1915
A fishing pier was to be built and located over one of the old wrecks at Carolina Beach, where the fishing has always been exceptionally good. WILM.STAR, 6-8-1915.

 

June 24, 1915
Material for the construction of the fishing pier at Carolina Beach was being assembled on the ground and work was to begin at once. WILM.STAR, 6-24-1915.

 

June 27, 1915
Two automobiles made the trip from Carolina Beach to Wrightsville Beach and return. Their route was along the sand banks between the two beaches. The new inlet just north of Carolina Beach had entirely filled in and there was now an unbroken beach all the way from the pavilion at Carolina Beach to Masonboro Inlet, which is at the lower end of Wrightsville Beach. That inlet was also filling in and was now very shallow at low tide and it could be waded and was not very wide.

The distance between the two beaches was 12 miles and the two automobiles made it in 28 minutes. They left Carolina Beach at 12:30 and arrived on return at 3 p.m. In one car was Mr. Joseph J. Loughlin, one of the owners of Carolina Beach; Woodus Kellam, Esq., and Mr. D.L.T. Capps. In the other car were Mr. J.W. Blake and family and his father-in-law, Mr. George Barnes.

The party started out primarily for the purpose of hunting for turtles and did find a turtle nest. A turtle weighing 200 pounds was captured at the beach and it was later liberated at the urgent request of a large number of visitors, who were moved to sympathy by the turtle‘s tears. WILM.DUSPATCH, 6-28-1915.

 

June 27, 1915
There was a lot of activity at Carolina Beach now.

  • Actual work had started on the fishing pier and club house.
  • The restaurant, formerly the old pavilion, was conducted by Biddle Brothers. The restaurant formerly conducted by a colored man had been discontinued.
  • Mr. R. A. Burnett and family had moved down to the beach for the summer.
  • Capt. John W. Harper and family were spending the summer at the beach. He was making arrangements for enlarging his cottage.
  • Dr. S. E. Koonce and Mr. R.A. Montgomery were building cottages on the beach which were to be ready soon.
  • Mr. J. Davis was building two concrete houses, one for himself and the other for Mr A.W. Pate, who owns half interest in the resort.
  • Mr. Joseph J. Loughlin was having an 8-room bungalow which would be ready for occupancy before the end of the season.
  • Dr. Chas. P. Bolles and family had moved down for the summer.
  • Mr. Thomas E. Cooper and family expected to move to their cottage for the summer soon. WILM.dispatch, 6-28-1915.

 

July 7, 1915
Mr. J.C. Herring was building a fishing pier at Carolina Beach and it had already been completed for 100 feet in the ocean. He had already caught a fine large drum from his pier. WILM.DISPATCH, 7-7-1915.

 

July 12, 1915
A charter was granted by the Secretary of State to the Carolina Beach Pier Company, with a capital stock of $25,000, to begin business when $400 is paid in. The incorporators were W.A. McGowan, Wilmington; J.W. Blake, Wilmington; J.C. Herring, Wilmington. WILM.DISPATCH, 7-12-1915.

 

July 14, 1915
The 17th annual outing of the Wilmington Police Department at Carolina Beach was held. A special program had been arranged which included a tug of war, target shooting, foot racing, chicken striking contest and a dressing race. There were addresses by Mayor Moore and Councilman Hall. The music and dancing was in charge of Mr. Rivenbark, the sports by Mr. Huggins, and the refreshments by Messrs. Moore, Thompson and Bullard. The Committee of Arrangements included Messrs. W.R. Applebury, J.S. Lane, W.C. Moore, M.C. Huggins, R.J. Thompson, W.H.  Rivenbark and H.G. Bullard. WILM.DISPATCH, 7-12-1915.

 

August 2, 1915
Carolina Beach Notes:

  • Mr. R.A. Montgomery and family are now occupying their new cottage.
  • Mr. B.T. Hopkins has just completed a cottage on the Sound side of the Beach and has moved his family down for the summer.
  • Mr. H.L. Vollers is having his cottage repaired and remodeled.
  • Repairs are also being made to Mr. J. LeRoy Croom‘s cottage.
  • Dr. S.E. Koonce and family moved down last week to spend the remaining weeks of the season. Dr. Koonce has just completed a very attractive cottage.

A turtle weighing about 200 pounds was captured at Carolina Beach Saturday night at 11 p.m. in front of Mr. Thomas E. Cooper‘s cottage. The turtle had come ashore to build a nest. An examination of the nest a few minutes later revealed 98 eggs. Mr. Joseph J. Loughlin summoned because of his experience with turtles. The turtle did not give much resistance and was turned over on his back. Biddle Brothers, who conducted a restaurant, was to use the turtle in making soup. WILM.DISPATCH, 8-2-1915.

 

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

News Articles – 1916

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

January 17, 1916
The Kure Land & Development Co., Wilmington Beach Corporation, and the New Hanover Transit Company deposited $9,300, being the balance of their one-half of the money to build the automobile highway to Carolina Beach. This made a total of $16,800 paid by the beach interests. The work on the Carolina Beach road was being done by private contractors, at a cost of $4,500 a mile. C.R.Humphreys & Co. had the contract which had been sub-let to Austin & Bennett, of Baltimore.
This road had the unique distinction of being the only automobile highway in North Carolina leading directly to the ocean. WILM.DISPATCH, 1-18-1916.

 

January 28, 1916
The Carolina Beach Public School, which was opened this week by Miss Annie W. Herring of Pender County, was progressing nicely. Twelve students were enrolled in the temporary cottage that was being used until a building was erected to take the place of the burned structure. WILM.DISPATCH, 1-28-1916.

 

February 8, 1916
A $10,000 cement block hotel within 300 feet of the surf was one of the improvements at Carolina Beach to be noted by visitors to that resort this summer. (Later to be called the Greystone Inn.)

Mr. A.W. Pate, a member of the Hanover Transit Company, was to own the hotel privately. The hotel is to have about 30 rooms, with a provision to make extensions necessary for the future.

The hotel was to be located on the main boulevard, just west of the pavilion. A wide veranda, with an entrance to a lobby of 30 X 30 feet, adjoing a dining room of the same size will compose the front of the hotel. To the rear will be the two-story bedroom division, with a 10 foot hall running back the entire distance.

In the lobby will be a large old-fashioned fireplace. The interior will be plastered. It will be so constructed that in summer all the breeze of the ocean can enter, while in the winter the rooms will be as close and convenient as necessary. The blocks used in the construction will be composed of Carolina Beach sand, which will make a block almost like white stone. WILM.DISPATCH, 2-9-1916.

 

February 16, 1916
Papers of application for a second drainage district in New Hanover County were filed. The district was to be located in the vicinity of Carolina and Wilmington beaches. Those behind the movement were the Wilmington Beach Corporation and the New Hanover Transit Company.

By the many miles of drainage canals to be dug, it was proposed to eliminate all swampy conditions in that section, making all land between the river and the ocean on Federal Point available for any purpose desired, and incidentally removing all breeding places for mosquitoes. WILM.DISPATCH, 2-16-1916.

 

April 9, 1916
When the steamer WLMINGTON comes off the ways with a new coat of paint and minor repairs completed and looking prettier than ever, this is the forerunner of the approaching summer at Carolina Beach.

Announcement has already been made that there will be many improvements at Carolina beach this season. The chief of these is a 30-room hotel for which material is being taken almost daily to be used in its construction, which is now in progress.

The hotel will greatly increase the popularity of the beach as it will meet a demand from many who have wanted accommodations at this resort that would enable them to remain as long as they wish. WILM.STAR, 4-9-1916.

 

April 11, 1916
Carolina Beach was now the scene of much building activity preparatory to the opening. A hotel was now under construction and several cottages had recently been completed and more were to be started in the near future. The foundation for a new concrete block hotel which was being built by Mr. A.W. Pate, president of the New Hanover Transit Company, was being laid.

A pretty all-the-year-around bungalow was being built for Mr. J.J, Loughlin, secretary and treasurer of the New Hanover Transit Company, who expected to live at the resort the year around after the completion of the Carolina Beach road.

Work on improving the Carolina Beach pier (on the Cape Fear River) had started by the Diamond Steamboat & Wrecking Company and was to be ready for the summer months. It was being greatly strengthened by additional timers and new piling. Mr. W.L.Kure had been awarded the contract to complete the fishing pier at Carolina which was only partly finished. WILM.DISPATCH, 4-11-1916.

 

June 1, 1916
Many new cottages had been erected at Carolina Beach. The residents down there expressed themselves as being confident that it was becoming more popular each season. The newly completed hard surfaced road to the beach made a trip by automobile a very pleasant jaunt. WILM.STAR, 6-1-1916.

 

June 1, 1916
The county commissioners in special session accepted from the contractor, Mr. Raymond Humphrey, the Carolina Beach road, which extended for nearly 7 miles from the ‘loop’ road, south, and it thus because a part of the county‘s fine system of highways.

The road was constructed for a part of the way of Lillington gravel, and the remainder of New Hanover shell rock. It was to be given a top dressing of oil and it would then be one of the most permanent and handsome stretches of road in the county.

Accepting the road for the beach development interests, who bore a part of the expense, were Messrs. C.C.Chadbourn, L.W. Davis, J.H. Hinton, A.W. Pate and L.C. Kure.

The permanent road committee was empowered to investigate the best oils which could be used on the road as a binder. WILM.DISPATCH, 6-1-1916.

 

June 4, 1916
Carolina Beach had been experiencing a building boom during the past several months. At least $20,000 worth of new buildings are under construction, a part of which are handsome summer cottages added o the colony. The auto road had been completed. WILM.DISPATCH, 6-4-1916.

 

June 4, 1916
The New Hanover Transit Company, Developers, 200 Princess Street, ran a full-page advertisement promoting Carolina Beach:
 
‘The Safest Summer Resort On the Coast – Come Here and Be Contented’ and ‘Only Beach on the Coast Insured Against Loss from Storms and Tornadoes.’ ‘Carolina Beach has $20,000 worth of new buildings under actual construction.’ ‘Our  Railroad Pier at River terminal has just been rebuilt by the Diamond Steamboat & Wrecking Company.’

We are pleased to announce through the enterprising efforts of Messrs. James & James, that all buildings at Carolina Beach may now be insured against loss from Tornado or wind storm. Carolina Beach is the only Ocean Resort on the Coast entitled to this protection.

We still have some choice building lots for sale at prices fair and terms you own. Remember – We have Pure Water, Electric Lights and Sanitary Sewage conveniences at Carolina Beach. A goodly number of Wilmington‘s most prominent professional and business men now live at Carolina Beach. 30 minutes from Wilmington by auto. THE SUNDAY DISPATCH, 6-4-1916.

 

June 7, 1916
Mr. and Mrs. B.T.Hopkins and family have moved to their cottage for the summer season. Mr. and Mrs. J.J. Loughlin and family were now occupying their cottage on the Beach. Mr A.W. Pate and family moved to their cottage on the Beach.

Last Sunday there were about 50 machines (automobiles) visiting the Beach, coming down the excellent new Carolina Beach road. When the Boulevard at Carolina Beach is completed in the near future this will be one of the prettiest drives in the county.

The construction of the hew hotel was progressing rapidly. There are a number of new bungalows nearing completion at Carolina Beach, including this of Mr. W. Yopp, F.B. LeGwin, Charles.E. Bethea, J.J. Loughlin and Mr. H.A. Lewis of Marion, S.C.

The veteran fisherman, Mr. J.C. Herring, who is an original booster of Carolina Beach, caught a 6-foot shark. The deliciousness of shark was discovered by last year‘s beach residents. Many were under the impression they were eating drum steak. WILM.DISPATCH, 6-7-1916.

 

June 8, 1916
The new pier at the river that was partially destroyed by fire last Wednesday will be rebuilt at once. It has been temporarily repaired and is now perfectly safe. Mr. and Mrs. Loughlin have moved into their new bungalow on the corner of Cape Fear and Lake Park Boulevards.

The New Hanover Transit Company is now opening Lake Park Boulevard to the south, which will take care of the increasing traffic. Last Sunday 67 automobiles visited the beach during the day. WILM.DISPATCH, 6-8-1916.

 

June 14, 1916
Fire partially destroyed the Carolina Beach pier, that had recently been repaired at a cost of several thousand dollars about 4 o‘clock. The blaze was extinguished by the crew of the steamer WILMINGTON that put in en-route to the city from Southport.

It was stated that the regular trips of the steamer to the pier would not be interfered with and the New Hanover Transit Company, owners of the pier, would soon have the damage repaired. WILM.DISPATCH, 6-15-1916; WILM.STAR, 6-15-1916.

 

June 26, 1916
A 16 passenger motor bus, one of the latest enclosed types of construction, made by the Studebaker manufacturers, was received at the garage of the Lassiter-McDuffie Company, on Second Street, Wilmington. It was to be delivered today to Mr. J.G. Ittner, the owner, who was to put it in commission at once in carrying passengers to and from Carolina Beach.

It was to be operated on a regular schedule over the new Federal Point Road and a fare of 25 cents each way would be charged. The residents were to get their mail more promptly by this motor line. The bus was fitted with a pay-as-you-enter deposit box and was fitted with 35×5 air cushion tires with a heavy spring suspension and comfortable seats for passengers. Others were to be added to the line if the patronage justified it. WILM.STAR, 6-27-1916.

 

July 2, 1916
An up-to-date bus service between Wilmington and the Beach was now in operation. The line is operated by Mr. J.G. Ittner and he was making four round trips a day.

  • Mrs. T.E. Cooper had as house guests during the week, Miss Sue Brinkley, Rosa Bell Kirkham, Mary Arch Toomer, Marie Morrison, Katie Foard and Agnes Hayden.
  • Miss Eleanor Robinson was a guest of Dr. C,P.Bolles, at his cottage on the Beach.
  • Last Sunday an inter-denomination Sunday School was organized at the Pavilion by many Beach residents. Mr. B.T. Hopkins was elected superintendent. Mr. Henry Burnett, asst., superintendent, and Mrs. S.E.Koonce, secretary and treasurer. There were 38 present at the meeting. The hour for services was 9:15 a.m.
  • Mr. and Mrs. C.E. Bethen moved into the Rourk cottage for the month of.July. They will occupy their cottage as soon as it is completed.
  • Mr. John P. Cooper, of Mullins, S.C., spent a few days with his brother, Mr. T.E. Cooper.
  • Two of Wilmington‘s ‘finest,’ Sgts. Lane and Gray, spent a week‘s vacation at the Biddle Annex recently. They had good luck when they discovered 116 eggs in a turtle‘s nest on the beach.
  • Commissioner and Mrs. W.E. Yopp and family moved into their new bungalow this week.
  • Mrs. D. McEachern and daughter, Mrs. Frank Bagg, were occupying the Vollers cottage.
  • Mrs. John French and Mr. and Mrs. Marshall French had moved into their cottage on the ocean front.
  • Mrs. Hans Kure, Sr., was spending the summer at their cottage.
  • Mrs. W.W. Koch‘s new bungalow was to be occupied shortly as it was nearing completion.
  • The New Hanover Transit Company had a force of hands laying boardwalks on several streets. This added a great deal to the comfort of motorists who now can park their machines further back on the Boulevard. The company had also laid over a mile of water mains this summer. WILM.DISPATCH, 7-2-1916.

 

July 18, 1916
The Carolina Beach Gun Club held its initial shoot and had as its guests about 30 members of the Southport and New Hanover Gun Clubs. The club had only been recently formed but already had 15 members. A fine log cabin club house is already in the process of construction, just south of the hotel. The visitors were very impressed with the fine grounds which had been laid out. The high man of the day‘s shoot was Mr. George S. Boylan, followed by Dr. J.H. Dreher and Mr. L.B. Pearce of Southport, and Col. Walker Taylor and Messrs. Lawrence Sprunt, F.W. Dick and L. Clayton Grant , all of Wilmington. WILM.STAR, 7-29-1916.

 

July 21, 1916
The Greystone Inn is the name of the new first class Hotel just completed at Carolina Beach which was thrown open to the public today. The Owner, Mr. A.W. Pate, had spared no expense in the construction, and all modern conveniences have been installed including phones to each room, electric lights, steam heat, etc. The hotel was to be operated both winter and summer. For winter visitors there was an open fireplace in the lobby where at all time a fire of oak logs would be burning. WILM.DISPATCH, 7-21-1916

 

July 23, 1916

  • The Onotola group of Camp Fire Girls finished a two weeks stay at Carolina Beach, much to the regret of the beach residents.
  • Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Stallings and Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Daniels and families were spending the remainder of the season in the Blake cottage.
  • Mr. and Mrs. HA. Lewis and children of Marion, S.C., have moved into their new bungalow on the southern end of the beach. Mr. Lewis was the cashier of the Palmetto Bank of Marion.
  • Mr. A.O. McEachern‘s new home is about completed at Carolina Beach and he will move into it soon.
  • Mr. and Mrs. Frank Brittain have bought Mr. C.E. Bertha‘s new cottage and moved into it for the season.
  • Mr. and Mrs. E.P. Dudley and children have moved to the beach for the remainder of the summer.
  • The Greystone Inn, the first real hotel on Carolina Beach, opened this week. Mr. Frank Montgomery was the clerk and the ‘Inner Man dept.’ was in the hands of Mr. R.C. Norman.
  • Mr. Henderson Cole and family were occupying the Pate cottage for the season.
  • Mr. W.W. Koch has just completed a pretty new bungalow on Harper Avenue and will soon move into it.
  • Work was started this week on a new bungalow for Mr. I.W. Cooper which when completed will make the twelfth one finished at the Beach this season. WILM.DISPATCH, 7-23-1916.

 

July 23, 1916
The Whitlock-West Band and Orchestra gave two concerts at Carolina Beach, one at 4 p.m. and another at 8 p.m. WILM.STAR, 7-23-1916.

 

July 27, 1916
Messrs. J.W. Blake, W.E. Yopp, R.L. Judson and Jack Hart, of Wilmington, had some very fine sport fishing from the old wreck of the VENUS at Carolina Beach. The party landed 35 fine sheephead, 40 or more pig fish and a number of black drum. “They were much pleased with the day‘s sport and will go again.” WILM.STAR, 7-29-1916.

 

July 23, 1916
Mr. A.G. McEachern‘s new home at Carolina Beach is about completed and his family will move into it in the near future. WILM.DISPATCH, 7-23-1916.

 

August 2, 1916
County Commissioner Walter E. Yopp witnessed the grandest and most spectacular sight in the form of a great waterspout two miles north of Carolina Beach, as it swept westward from across the Atlantic Ocean towards land, raising a tall swirling, towering, funnel-shaped mass of water from the sea 300 feet or more to a cloud.

The waterspout was viewed from Carolina Beach by several hundred people who had gone to the beach to attend a truckers‘ picnic. Waterspouts in this area were not uncommon and, in fact, several had been seen during this summer, but they were not usually so large as this one. WILM.STAR, 8-4-1916.

 

August 20, 1916
Carolina Beach was now boasting 60 houses, all of which were occupied. A well-known resident attributed the growth of the beach to the fact that it was now easily accessible by automobiles at all times, while it was also reached regularly by boat, making it an ideal summer resort.

In addition to the fine new club house for the Beach Gun Club, another improvement was the extension of the pier to the wreck of the old blockade runner BEAUREGARD. Piling was being hauled for a 150 foot extension of the pier. The extension will be tied into the wreck, which will give the pier great stability against the wash of waves. As the wreck was also a great loafing place for sheephead and other members of the finny tribe, the completion of the pier will be a great boon to local fishermen. WILM.STAR. 8-20-1916.

 

August 25, 1916
A hearing, conducted by Capt. C.S. Ridley, U.S. Engineer in charge of the Wilmington District office, was held in the Chamber of Commerce building in regard to the proposed deepening of the channel leading into Carolina Beach pier. The channel leading to the pier was barely deep enough to admit excursion steamers to navigate it in extremely low water. Groundings were not unusual. WILM.DISPATCH, 8-24-1916.

 

August 25, 1916
Mr. J.J. Loughlin, of the New Hanover Transit Company, which is concerned with developing Carolina Beach, appeared at a hearing held by Capt. C.S, Ridley, engineer in charge of the local district office of the U.S. Corps of Engineers.

He was requesting the cutting of an adequate channel to the Carolina Beach Pier on the Cape Fear River so as to admit the safe navigation of freight and passenger steamers. He was told by Captain Ridley to submit a map showing exactly what size and depth channel he thought was needed. This would be forwarded to the War Department with recommendations. WILM.DISPATCH, 8-2-1916.

 

August 25, 1916
Dr. J. H. Dreher, of Wilmington, won the shoot held under the auspices of the Carolina Beach Gun Club at Carolina Beach. He was awarded a handsome silver watch charm. Other top scorers were Messrs. A.W. Pate, of Carolina Beach, and Lawrence Childs, of Wilmington. About 30 shooters were in attendance, including members of the New Hanover and Southport Gun Clubs. On behalf of the Southport Gun Club, Col Robert Stride presented the Carolina Beach club with a number of handsome shooting scenes which were to be hung on the walls of the new log club house which had been built near the beach hotel. WILM.STAR, 8-26-1916.

 

September 26, 1916
For the second time within a year, the Carolina Beach school house was destroyed by fire. The last building burned was formerly used as a residence and was owned by the Wilmington Beach Corporation.

This burning was being furnished the county until a school building could be built. The cause of the fire was unknown. The burning now leaves that section without any place for a school, and it is expected that the Board of Education will immediately take steps to provide them with school facilities. WILM.STAR.9-29-1916; WILM.DISPATCH, 9-29-1916.

 

October 17, 1916
Members of the Board of Education held a conference at Carolina Beach at which the subject of providing a school for the children in the lower part of the district was discussed. The removal of the school to a better location was also discussed.

As there were only five children of school age in the lower part of the county (Fort Fisher), it was suggested that it might be possible to transfer them to the Carolina Beach school. Mr. J.J. Loughlin in behalf of the people of the community asked that a new building be erected, on the grounds that the building now in use is badly located and not suited to school purposes. WILM.STAR,10-16-1916

 

October 24, 1916
The County Board of Education decided to improve a building at Carolina Beach as a school for that district. The six children at Fort Fisher will be transported to the school in a cart, but will have to walk the three miles home in the afternoon. WILM.DISPATCH, 10-25-1916

 

January – December, 1916
Real Estate Transfers:

  • The Wilmington Beach Corporation to D.A. Cameron, Lot No. 1 in Block 8 and Lot No. 1 in Block 24, Wilmington Beach. WILM.DISPATCH, 2-10-1916.
  • New Hanover Transit Company to B.S.Reynolds and G.M.Willette of Selma, N.C., Lots 2 and 3, Block 30, and Lots 1 and 2, Block 44, Carolina Beach. WILM.DISPATCH, 2-7-1916.
  • Kure Land and Development Company to Dallas Walton Newsom of Durham, N.C., Lot 2 in Block 10, Fort Fisher Sea Beach. WILM.DISPATCH, 2-7-1916.
  • A.W. Pate to J.F. Rulfs, for $10 and other considerations, lot at Carolina Beach. WILM.STAR, 6-6-1916.
  • New Hanover Transit Company to J.F. Somers, of Salisbury, N.C., for $100 and other considerations, lot at Carolina Beach. WILM.STAR, 7-2-1916.July 2, 1916.
  • New Hanover Transit Company to Minnie F McEachern, for $1 and other considerations, lot at Carolina Beach. WILM.STAR, 7-9-1916.
  • New Hanover Transit Company to G. L. Richardson, for $10 and other considerations, lot at Carolina Beach. WILM.STAR, 7-11-1916.
  • The New Hanover Transit Company sold a lot at Carolina Beach to Minnie F. McEachern, for $1 and other considerations. WILM.STAR, 7-19-1916.
  • F.W. Pierce and wife to R.P. McClammy, for $10 and other considerations, lot at Carolina Beach. WILM.STAR, 7-21-1916.
  • Ellen A. Kure to Rebecca A. Heide, for $1 and other consideration, five lots in the village of St. Joseph, near Carolina Beach. WILM.STAR, 9-19-1916.
  • New Hanover Transit Company to John W. Harper, for $10 and other considerations, a lot at Carolina Beach. WLM.STAR, 9-19-1916.
  • William Otersen to Ellen Kure, for $10 and other considerations, lot at Carolina Beach. WILM.STAR, 9-29-1916.
  • New Hanover Transit Company to John H. Berry and wife, for $10 and other considerations, lot at Carolina Beach. WILM.STAR. 10-12-1916.
  • New Hanover Transit Company to Mr. B.T. Hopkins and wife, $10.00 and other considerations, property at Carolina Beach.WILM.STAR, 11-3-1916
  • Ellen Kure to Betha (note: this was the spelling –not Bertha J. Winner) McCoy, for $10.00 and other considerations, property at Carolina Beach. WILM.STAR, 12-2-1916
  • New Hanover Transit Company to Carlotta M. Lynch, et al, for $100.00 and other considerations, lands at Carolina Beach. WILMSTAR, 12-10-1916

 

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

News Articles – 1917

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

January 25, 1917
Captain C.S. Ridley, U.S. Chief of Engineers, disapproved the deepening and widening of the channel at Carolina Beach Pier (on the Cape Fear River). It was not approved on the ground that only 1,435 tons of freight and 33,500 passengers were handled to Carolina Beach during 1915, and only private corporations would be the chief beneficiaries of government expenditure of money. The government had been asked to dredge through the sand bar near the landing at Carolina Beach so that boats of the larger type would be able to land at that point. (Star, 1-27-1917)

 

February 22, 1917
The honor roll for the past school month of Carolina Beach School included:

  • First grade – Bernard Winner;
  • Second grade –  Elliott Laughlin, Frances Fisher, Catherine Fisher, Fred Winner, Hudson Winner;
  • Third grade – Margaret Pate, John Thomas Nelson;
  • Fourth grade – Waddell Pate, Joseph Laughlin, Edith Ludwick;
  • Fifth grade – Ola Nelson, Ione Winner;
  • Sixth grade – John Lewis, William Lewis, Foard Lewis;
  • Eighth and ninth grade – Elsie Henneker.   (Star, 2-22-1917)

 

May 11, 1917
Mr. W.E. Price, general manager of the Wilmington Beach Corporation, announced that work was to be started immediately upon a pavilion and bath house at Wilmington Beach, in the southern section of the county, which, when the road leading from Fort Fisher Highway is complete, will formally be opened.

The following officers and directors of the Wilmington Beach Corporation were elected: President, C.C. Chadbourn; vice president, Dr. E. Cooper Pearson, of Goldsboro; secretary-treasurer, D.N. Chadwick, Jr., general manager, W.E. Price; directors, C.C. Chadbourn, L.W. Davis, D.N. Chadwick, Jr , Col.B.H. Tyson, W.E. Price, Dr. E. Cooper Pearson.   (Dispatch, 5-14-1917)

 

June 3, 1917
The 1917 season at Carolina Beach officially opened today. Several new cottages had been built. New public bath houses have been built. The large pavilion had been improved for modern dancing now in vogue. The old pavilion had been renovated to be used only for square dances.

The steamer WILMINGTON was making two trips daily. The bus line was making two trips every afternoon. The river pier had been completely rebuilt and the railroad was in good condition. Graystone Inn was now open under the old management and was specializing on Sunday dinners for parties.   (Dispatch, 6-3-1917)

 

June 17, 1917
The new Methodist Church at Federal Point, which had just been completed, was dedicated at 3:30 in the afternoon. Rev. J.H. Shore, presiding elder of the Wilmington District of the N.C. Conference, delivered the sermon. It was said at the time “This church will stand as a fitting tribute to the memory of the handful of loyal Methodists who live in this section of the county. Although the country in this vicinity is very sparsely settled, the people have erected a church that is a distinct credit to their community.”  (Star, 6-19-1917)

 

June 27, 1917
Councilman James M. Hall and his little son, Thomas Gray Hall, were attached by an enraged bull as they made their way to ‘The Rocks at the lower end of Federal Point. The Wilmington Councilman was on his way to visit a party of campers at ‘The Rocks,’ when at a point below Carolina Beach a herd of cattle was encountered and a bull was enraged by the sight of the automobile. Councilman Hall opened the Throttle and soon left the mad animal behind.   (Dispatch, 6-28-1917)

 

July 17, 1917
The North Carolina State Gun Tournament was held at Carolina Beach. The visitors, who not only included the expert shots from North Carolina towns, but from a number of other southern states. Their headquarters was at the Greystone Inn and in the evening a dance was given in their honor, the music being furnished by the West-Whitlock Band. The Wilmington Chamber of Commerce made an appropriation to help defray the expenses of entertainment and the New Hanover Gun club played the role of host.   (Dispatch, 7-17-1917)

 

September 5, 1917
‘Drum Night’ was observed at Carolina Beach. The only music heard was the pounding of the hearts of the fortunate fishermen and fisherwomen.

 

September 18, 1917
Captain John W. Harper, of the steamer Wilmington, as thousands knew him, passed away yesterday morning at the James Walker Memorial Hospital, where he had gone for treatment. It is hard to realize that the big-hearted, generous, jovial and popular Captain John Harper is dead and that death has closed a warm personal friendship that has never been varied for nearly thirty years. Yet it is even longer than that since he has been the friend of people in Wilmington from his boyhood days up to now. He counted his warm friends by the thousands, and they are to be found all over North Carolina and far beyond the confines of his own State.  (Wilmington Star, Sept. 19, 1917)   [Added to the Bill Reaves Files content by FPHPS Editor]

 

January – June, 1917
Real Estate Transfers:

  • Edwin W. Fuller, of Mecklenburg County, to Emma T. Fuller, two lots at Carolina Beach.  (Dispatch, 1-3-1917)
  • J. F. Somers and wife to G. G. Meyers and B. J. Weisner, for $250.00 and other considerations, at Carolina Beach.   (Star, 1-10-1917)
  • Hanover Transit Company to D.C. Fussell, two lots at Carolina Beach   (Dispatch, 1-15-1917)
  • New Hanover Transit Company to Marvin Wade, lot at Carolina Beach   (Dispatch, 1-15-1917)
  • Ellen Kure to Charles Batson, lot at Carolina beach, $600   (Dispatch, 1-26-1917)
  • New Hanover Transit Company to S.B. Hunter, lot at Carolina Beach.   (Dispatch, 2-7-1917)
  • C.C. Laughlin to New Hanover Transit Company, lot at Carolina Beach, $100 and other considerations.   (Dispatch, 2-26-1917)
  • New Hanover Transit Company to Mrs. Tabitha C. Hutaff, for $1 and other considerations, lot at Carolina Beach.   (Star, 3-14-1917)
  • New Hanover Transit Company to Mrs. Lettie T. Koonce, lot at Carolina Beach.   (Dispatch, 4-16-1917)
  • New Hanover Transit Company to Mrs. Lettie T. Koonce, for $10 and other considerations, lot at Carolina Beach.   (Star, 4-17-1917)
  • New Hanover Transit Company to J.M. Conelly, of Marlett, for $1 and other considerations, lot at Carolina Beach.   (Star, 5-4-1917)
  • New Hanover Transit Company to J.H. Harriss, for $100 and other considerations, lot on east side of Carolina Beach Avenue, 53 feet north of Sixth Avenue, 50 X 125 feet in size, at Carolina Beach.   (Star, 6-20-1917)
  • New Hanover Transit Company to J.W. Lewis and wife, for $100 and other considerations, lands at Carolina Beach.   (Star, 6-27-1917)

 

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994