News Articles – 1947 – 1949

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington Star, Wilmington Post

Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994


January 6, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
Water meters were being installed at Carolina Beach. More than 200 of approximately 625 to 725 had already been installed. Mrs. Alice Strickland, town clerk, said that June 1st was the date for completion with work having started in November.

Heretofore, the beach has had a flat water rate but, in fairness to the 800 accounts as well as the town itself, it was decided to adopt the meter program. The meters were purchased from the Badger Meter Mfg. Company, of Milwaukee.

Each consumer was being charged for the greater part of the costs and the remainder was coming from the Water Dept.‘s surplus funds. It was all being carried out on a cash basis.  WILM.STAR, 1-7-1947.


January 8, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
Dr. A.H. Elliot, city-county health officer, said that in his opinion that the drainage ditch for which the residents of Carolina Beach were now raising funds would solve the sanitation problem of the resort town. Earlier Dr. Elliott had attributed the existence of improver conditions in certain areas of the town to improper drainage. Heavy rains caused sewerage overflows to mix with surface water, thereby setting up conditions ripe for disease epidemics. He explained that if the bad drainage situation was rectified then the sewerage system should not cause trouble.

Glenn Tucker, Carolina Beach real estate man, reported that over $1600 had already been raised for the construction of the ditch, and several hundred dollars more had been pledged. WILM.STAR, 1-9-1947.


January 23, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
Mayor W.G. Fountain, of Carolina Beach, resigned due to ill health. It was announced by A.D. Fountain. Mayor Fountain had held office since, July, 1945. He had been a member of the board of aldermen since 1937. He was now a patient in the Bullock Hospital, North Front Street Wilmington. Thomas Croom was named mayor pro-tem by the board of aldermen some time ago. Mayor Fountain was president of the Fountain Oil Company, and owner of the Royal Palm Hotel, Carolina Beach. WILM.POST, 1-23-1947.


January 23, 1947
W.G. Fountain resigned as mayor of Carolina Beach due to a serious illness. He had served as mayor since July, 1945, and previously on the Board of Aldermen since, May, 1937. He was succeeded by Tom A. Croom, mayor pro-tem. WILM.STAR, 1-24-1947.


January 27, 1947 …. Carolina Beach, Kure Beach, Wilmington Beach
A petition was signed by more than 500 residents of Carolina, Kure‘s and Wilmington beaches requesting the North Carolina Board of Medical Examiners to reconsider its action in refusing to license Dr. David B. Handelman to practice medicine in Federal Point township. More and more signatures continued to be affixed to the petition the next day.

The petition stated that “approximately 5,000 permanent residents of Federal Point township, and 50,000 summer residents are without the services of a doctor,” and it was felt that the board action should be reconsidered. For six weeks, Dr. Handelman and his wife, also a doctor, had been residing at the resort awaiting the final disposition of the case by the state board. Dr. Handelman and his wife had already become popular among the residents. The doctor was a native of Edinburgh in Scotland. He was refused because he did not attend an American college. WILM.POST 1-28-1947.


January 29, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
A total of $4,070 for the construction of a ditch and other drainage projects was raised by the residents of Carolina Beach. A non-profit organization, known  as the Carolina Beach Drainage Project corporation, was formed for the purpose of letting contracts for the drainage work. Glenn Tucker was chairman of the group. WILM.STAR, 1-30-1947. (see also WILM.STAR, 1-15-1947(adv.)


February 8, 1947
The pastors of Carolina Beach‘s Protestant churches today were members of a new Carolina Beach Ministerial Association organized last night. The Rev. Ben B. Ussery, pastor of the town‘s Baptist church, was elected president, and the Rev. John D. MacLeod, pastor of the Presbyterian Church, was named corresponding and recording secretary. The other constitutions belonging to the association and the beach‘s Methodist and Community churches. The Episcopal Church is expected to join also. At the organizational meeting, preliminary plans were laid for the resort‘s fifth annual Easter Sunrise service. WILM.POST, 2-8-1947.


February 15, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
A certificate of incorporation was filed with the Secretary of State by a Carolina Beach Drainage Group consisting of M.S. Faircloth, Ben B. Ussery and W.H. Alldred, off of the Beach. The purpose of the non-profit group was “the promotion of the general welfare of the community,” actually its primary, and perhaps only function will be to let the ditch digging contract.

To avoid a possible recurrence of the flooded conditions last fall, the town plans to drag a ditch along the southern section of the beach. This was to cut off the watershed that deluges beach property when high water prevails.
Carolina Beach had raised $3,620 from private contributions, and the town had donated $500 for the ditch digging project. WILM.STAR, 2-15-1947.


February 26, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
A contract calling for the moving of over 13,000 cubic yards of earth as part of the Carolina Beach drainage program was awarded to Columbus Contractors of Whiteville by the Carolina Beach and Drainage Corporation. The low bid submitted for the work was $2,818.86 and the work was to begin the next week. The project was to be completed by April 15th. M.S. Faircloth was president of the resort town corporation with the Rev. Ben B. Ussery as secretary-treasurer. WILM.STAR, 2-17-1947.


March 18, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
Rep. R.M. Kermon said he would introduce legislation in the N.C. General Assembly to define street lines at Carolina Beach for the purpose of clearing property titles to land there.   (Wilm Post, 3-18-1947)


March 27, 1947
Addison Hewlett, Sr., chairman of the county commissioners, said that the county board probably would call for bids at an early date on enlarging the Henniker drainage ditch at Carolina Beach.

The work, designed to make the Henniker Ditch large enough to drain the water from the new Carolina Beach flood control ditch, is expected to require about six weeks.   (Wilm Post, 3-27-1947; 3-24-1947;  4-16-1947)


March 31, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
Bruce Valentine was sworn in as Carolina Beach chief of police. He succeeded E.V. Leonard who resigned several days earlier and he planned to join the sheriff‘s force of Brunswick County soon.  WILM.NEWS, 4-1-1947


April 1, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
A plea was renewed to the Tide Water Power Company, in Wilmington, for a resident representative of the company be located at Carolina Beach. A.L. Mansfield appeared before the town aldermen at a mass meeting and suggested that petition be circulated to the town‘s business men for their endorsement and signature. It was ordered that Emmett Bellamy, city attorney, draw up such a petition. WILM.NEWS, 4-1-1947


April 1, 1947
Bruce Valentine was now serving as chief of police at Carolina Beach where he was filling the vacancy created by the resignation of E.V. Leonard. WILM.STAR, 4-1-1947


April 2, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
J .R. Bame, chairman of the Board of Elections, announced that fifteen candidates – five of them incumbents – filed for offices of aldermen. The election was on May 6th. The first five to file were Sam H. Blake, John Fergus, M.T. Ridaught, A.P. Peay and J. Lem King.

The five incumbents were Bert Jewel, E.A. Reynolds, W.H. Shinn and Glen M. Tucker. Others qualifying were Luther J. Coe, W.T. Little, D.L. White, W.L. Farmer and Ralph Rollins.  WILM.NEWS, 4-2-1947. WILM.NEWS, 4-1-1947.


April 4, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
A three-act dramatization of THE FIRST EASTER MORNING was presented by the Young Adult Class of St. Paul‘s Methodist Church. The public was invited to this part of Carolina Beach‘s pre-Easter observance program. Included in the cast were: Oneill Johnson, Homer Craver, Mike Bake, Jack White, Rhyder Lewis, Chevis Faircloth, Jimmy Busch, Ernest Bame, Bunny Hines, Glenn Eaker, Rachel Bame, Ellen White, William McDougald, Edwin Carter, Sallie Faircloth and Ruby Knox.

Serving on the committees for the presentation were: Virginia Beach, Mrs. Odell Oldham, Mrs. Woodrow Hewett, A.L. Mansfield, Mrs. George Russ, Francis Ludwig and sons, Mrs. Edwin Carter, Mrs. Bunny Hines and Mrs. Sam Frisbee. WILM.NEWS, 4-2-1947.


April 6, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
An Easter dance was held at the Ocean Plaza. The music was provided by Larry Taylor and his Orchestra. Admission was $1.25. Dancing from 9 P.M. until 1 A.M. WILM.NEWS, 4-4-1947.


April 5-6, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
Crowds estimated at over 7,000 thronged Carolina Beach during this weekend. Easter sunrise services at 5:30 a.m. drew one of the largest crowds ever for that occasion. Mrs. Strickland remarked that many “rugged characters,” braved the first chilly dip in the surf and fishermen and sunbathers were plentiful. Cottages darkened since residents vacated last September were bright with their first light this year, and some of the visitors stayed for their spring vacation. WILM.NEWS, 4-7-1947. Mrs. Strickland, the town clerk, ….


April 7, 1946 …. Carolina Beach
The New Hanover County Commissioners announced that M. H. Lander, civil engineer, was to supervise plans for the drainage work at Carolina Beach. At the completion of the survey, contracts were to be let for the actual work.


April 7, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
A forest fire raged through a large wooded area, starting at Carolina Lake and sweeping south to Spartanburg Avenue. For a time several houses were threatened. The town fire department and several bucket brigades were mustered into fighting the blasé. WILM.NEWS, 4-8-1947


April 10, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
The Board of Aldermen voted to purchase a modern, ―up-to-the-last-minute garbage collection truck. Bids were to be advertised for a vehicle. At the same meeting, the city officials voted to grant renewals to 23 beer and wine dealers in the town. The new permits became effective May 1st. WILM.NEWS, 4-10-1947.


April 10, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
Building Inspector Sam Long resigned, effective immediately. Long served both the building inspector and electrical inspector departments. He was to be succeeded by Sam D. Wright as building inspector and Irvene F. Williams as electrical inspector. WILM.NEWS, 4-10-1947


April 14, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
Sam H. Blake and W.T.Little withdrew from the race for town aldermen. This left thirteen still running for offices. WILM.NEWS, 4-14-1947.


April 22, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
The Snow‘s Cut bridge was thrown out of business by a broken shaft, which jammed a gear. D . W. Stewart, operator of the bridge, said that the damages would not interfere with inland waterway traffic, and a new bridge shaft would soon be installed. WILM.NEWS, 4-23-1947.


April 25, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
Plans were underway for the construction of an educational and recreational building for the young people of Carolina Beach. The program was being handled by the Methodist Youth Fellowship committee, and all members were joining the campaign to raise funds. A seafood supper on April 26th was the initial step in the fund raising. The supper was to be held at Mrs. Reynolds Boarding House, operated by Mrs. R.W. Reynolds. The building and facilities in the playground were to be located on the property of the Methodist Church. WILM.NEWS, 4-25-1947.


April 28, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
A contract for the digging of the Henniker ditch at Carolina Beach was awarded to the Talman Transfer Company by the New Hanover County Board of Commissioners. Talman‘s bid was the lowest of four sealed bids submitted. Their bid was for 27 cents a cubic yard, a total cost of $8,100. The winning bidder, George Talman, agreed to work a minimum of 12 hours a day on the job and work was to begin immediately. The digging of Henniker ditch was to complete the flood control plan at Carolina Beach. Several weeks earlier the Carolina Beach Drainage canal was dug at the expense of town funds and public donations. WILM.NEWS, 4-28-1947.


April 28, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
A “Bingo” ordinance with 11 sections, governing the playing of the game at Carolina Beach, was voted. Enactment of the ordinance, prepared by order of the aldermen following passage of a bill introduced by Rep. R. M. Kermon, legalizing the game, was not expected to detract materially from the fun of the game. One featured phase of the ordinance was all such places of business be closed after 1 a.m. There were four “Bingo” houses at the resort. 4-16-1947; WILM.NEWS, 4-29-1947.


April 28, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
A contract for enlarging Henniker Ditch at Carolina Beach was awarded to George W. Talman, of Talman Transfer Company, who offered a bid of $8,100 on the project. Talman told the commissioners he could begin work immediately.

The Ditch, which has served as a drainage from Carolina Beach to the Cape Fear River, will be widened and deepened.  A new ditch was recently dug by the town of Carolina Beach, with the ditch adjoining the county‘s Henniker Ditch.

However, the Carolina Beach ditch became full of water and would not drain off because it was at a lower depth than the Henniker Ditch. WILM.POST, 4-28-1947.


April 28, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
The New Hanover County Board of Commissioners advertised for bids for the deepening and widening of the Henniker Ditch at Carolina Beach, N.C.  The work was to be done on a unit price basis in accordance with the plans drawn by William F. Freeman, Civil Engineer, Wilmington, N.C.  The work consisted of the removal of approx. 30,000 cubic yards of material. All the necessary clearing of the right of way was to be included in the unit price of the excavation. WILM.STAR, 4-17-1947.


May 1, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
Carolina Beach officials held a board meeting to discuss and possibly take action on a complaint by residents that “music boxes” on the beach were causing disturbances. WILM.NEWS, 4-29-1947.


May 6, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
An election was held at Carolina Beach for mayor and four aldermen.
Mr. J. D. Sanderson was named as Registrar and Rev. Ben Ussery and Mr. R.R. Lamb as Judges of Election. WILM.NEWS, 4-3-1947


May 12, 1947
The U.S. Navy department was offered the use of a model submarine constructed by William R. Mouring of Carolina Beach, and it was to be used as a Wilmington display for “Operations Naval Reserve.” Mouring offered the Navy the use of his model in their testing laboratories if it was so desired.

The model, operates in the same manner as a full-sized undersea war submarine, was six feet long with an 8 inch beam. It was capable of a speed of 200 feet per minute on the surface, and about 60 feet per minute while submerged.

Mouring, an ex-electrician at the Wilmington shipyards during the war, had worked on the submarine for the past four years. The replica of one of Uncle Sam‘s submarines operates by high-pressure air and electricity. It was powered by six dry cell batteries which run two motors in the model craft. WILM.NEWS, 5-12-1947.


May 19, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
T.A. Croom, Carolina Beach mayor, appeared before the county commissioners requesting assistance with the threat of criminals of all types moving into Carolina Beach and Kure Beach during the forthcoming American Legion State Convention at those places. To cope with the threat and the expected pick-pocket activity, the board agreed to hire as many special deputies as the county sheriff Porter Davis deemed necessary, as long as the cost did not exceed $200.

Representing the American Legion, W.L. Farmer, informed the board that Camp Lejeune would send 100 military police for additional protection during the June 14-18 convention.The State Highway Patrol promised 25 additional patrolmen on duty. Mayor Croom declared that most of the businessmen at the two beaches were adding private protective strength at each business establishment. Croom termed these men as “bouncers.” The greatest amount of protection needed was the opening day of the convention, when a gigantic mock invasion was planned, which was to include strafing planes and landing craft. WILM.NEWS, 5-19-1947.


May 14, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
A parade of beach beauties was held at Carolina Beach Beacon Grill. A local beach girl was to win a bathing suit and an evening gown when she won the right to represent Carolina Beach American Legion Post No.272 in the State Legion beauty contest at the resort on June 15th. During their appearance in the Carolina Beach contest they were to walk on the stage twice, first in a bathing suit again in evening dress or street clothes.

The Beacon Grill was located just south of the Inland Waterway Bridge where the highway divides to Carolina Beach and to Fort Fisher. WILM.NEWS, 5-13-1947.


May 19, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
The re-digging and grading of the old Henniker Ditch to provide adequate drainage facilities for Carolina Lake and other sections of Carolina Beach was nearing the half-way mark.

It was started two weeks ago by the George W. Talman Company at the direction of the New Hanover County commissioners.

The ditch, long the only draining channel for the area, threatened to disrupt water passage in a new ditch dug by the town two months earlier. Beach officials asked the county commissioners to relieve the situation by grading Henniker Ditch to allow water from the new ditch to flow into the Cape Fear River. WILM.NEWS, 5-19-1947.


May 14, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
Hal J. Love, the Wilmington manager of the Queen City Coach Company, announced that Carolina Beach‘s long proposed, and hard fought for bus terminal was to be built immediately. The bus terminal was to cost about $50,000 and was to be built on a piece of property in the possession of the company several years. The new terminal was to be across State Highway 421, opposite the site of present bus loading and unloading operations. It was to be of masonry construction, modern and fireproof throughout. Permission, sought from the Civilian Production Administration for the past three years, had been granted. WILM.NEWS, 5-14-1947.


May 30, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
Contracts totaling $11,000 were awarded Towles-Cline Construction Co., of Wilmington, for improvements and paving Canal Drive which is to be completed in ten days, according to Alice Strickland, town clerk. The project is for construction a sand-asphalt surface on 1 1⁄2 mile road. WILM.NEWS, 5-30-1947


June 6, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
Mike George, the Band Sensation, was appearing nightly at the Ocean Plaza at Carolina Beach. Admission was 75 cents plus tax. WILM.NEWS, 6-6-1947.


June 26, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
All Carolina Beach business establishments and town offices were closed during this afternoon in honor of the memory of Roy C. Fergus for whom funeral services were held at 4 p.m. The memory of Mr. Fergus who served the resort for 10 years (1934-1944) was further honored by the playing of chimes and hymns over various public address systems throughout the resort area.

It was during Mayor Fergus‘ administration, 1933-43, that the water system and the sewerage systems were put into operation, town hall was built, and through his efforts the town secured the aid of the state highway commission in constructing streets.

Mr. Fergus died Sunday night in James Walker Memorial Hospital after a short illness and funeral services were held in the Fifth Avenue Methodist Church. WILM.NEWS, 6-27-1947.


July 2, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
Mayor A.P. Peay and four town aldermen had been installed as Carolina Beach‘s new official body.
The councilmen sworn in were Glenn M. Tucker, who will have charge of the water dept: W.H. Shinn, finance officer; Thomas A. Croom and William L. Farmer, will have charge of the Streets and sanitation dept. WILM.STAR, 7-3-1947.


July 3, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
Carolina Beach has started a general cleanup of games played at various concessions along the boardwalk. One concessioner was charged with operating a gambling game and in the Recorder‘s Court he was fined $10 by Judge Winfield Smith, but the judge declined to rule as to what actually is gambling and suggested that the matter should be taken to the Superior Court. The hearing lasting nearly two hours, revolved around the question of what is a bingo game. That game is legalized at Carolina Beach. WILM.STAR, 7-4-1947.


July 8, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
H.M. VonOesen, of Wilmington, was appointed as consulting engineer for the Town of Carolina Beach, at the initial regular meeting of the new board of aldermen, with Mayor A.P. Peay presiding.
VonOesen, a member of the Wilmington engineering department, who at present is taking over many of the duties of J.A. Loughlin, city engineer, during the latter‘s prolonged illness. WILM.STAR, 7-10-1947.


July 26, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
Memories of battle fatigue and Jap sniping were recalled by 60 men, members of the Depot Company, 439th Engineers, and their wives in the first annual reunion of the outfit at Carolina Beach.
The unit, comprised entirely of North Carolinians, was activated at Camp Swift, Texas, and after nine months of training, it was sent to the Pacific theater for combat duty.
Officers of the reunion were James B. Ratcliffe, of Durham, president, and Donald Norman, also of Durham, vice president. WILM.STAR, 7-27-1947.


August 15, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
Reports that a plane crashed into the ocean off Carolina Beach shortly after 9 p.m. last night could not be verified early today although rumors reached local airports and authorities in large numbers throughout the evening.
One report was that a small plane, like a cub trainer, developed motor trouble over the ocean and plunged into the sea carrying one or possibly two persons.


August 28, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
Members of the life saving corps at Carolina Beach have set a record unique on the Atlantic Coast in not having had a drowning in the patrolled area of the strand since the squad was organized back in 1932.


October 23, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
It was announced that an estimated $5,000 was to be spent in building a new boardwalk at Carolina Beach. Also bids were to be opened on Oct.29th on road repair work to be done at the beach. About $185,000 was set aside for street repairing at the resort this winter. It was added that cresosoted pilings would be placed directly in front of the boardwalk to break the force of the waves at excessive high tide. The pilings were to be placed 20 inches apart. New decking on the boardwalk was also planned. WILM.POST, 10-23-1947.


November 12, 1947
Members of the Federal Point Methodist Church, Carolina Beach, elected their officers for the new year.
The officers of the church were J. Otis Davis, Charge Lay Leader; the board of trustees included Dave Lewis, O.W. Davis and Mrs. J.N. Todd. The communion steward was Mrs. J.N. Todd; membership committee, Mrs. Dave Lewis; pastoral relations committee, Mrs. G.C. Henniker; nominations committee, W.T. Lewis and Miss Beatrice Davis.
Audit Committee, J. Otis Davis; golden cross, Mrs. O.W. Davis, board of missions and church extension, Mrs. J.O. Davis; committee on evangelism, Mrs. W.T. Lewis; parsonage committee, Miss Beatrice Davis. Stewards included J.O. Davis, W.T. Lewis, George H. Henniker, and Dave Lewis; parsonage trustees, Lee O. Davis. Officers of the Sunday School included Mrs. Ray Peterson, Dave Lewis, Mrs. J.O. Davis, Miss Beatrice Davis, W.T. Lewis, WILM.STAR, 11-16-1947


November 15, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
A $200,000 real estate deal involving transfer of the $100,000 Ocean Plaza at Carolina Beach from E.A. Reynolds to J. Frank Collier in exchange for Carolina Beach, Silver Lake and Wilmington property was consummated. It was learned from Collier, who was moving to Carolina Beach that he had plans to convert the Ocean Plaza ballroom and third floor apartments into a modern first class hotel.

Collier also had plans for a T-shaped pier extending 600 feet out into the ocean with a 200-foot head across the end and was to cost about $75,000.

The Ocean Plaza was constructed in the Spring of 1946. Its cost, including the land, was set at $100,000 by Reynolds. In addition to the second floor ball room and third floor apartments, the first floor had a restaurant, bath house, dress shop and beer parlor. The owner, Reynolds, had been living atop the Ocean Plaza. Collier, the new owner, had purchased the old Ogburn home on the northwest corner of Lake Park Blvd and Cape Fear Blvd for his private residence. WILM.STAR, 11-16-1947.


November 25, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
Mr. and Mrs. Alexander O. McEachern celebrated their golden wedding anniversary with an open house at their home on Carolina Avenue, Carolina Beach. WILM.STAR, 11-25-1947.


November 25, 1947 …. Carolina Beach
The city of Carolina Beach secured funds to proceed with their municipal improvement program of street construction, water and sewer improvements, through the sale of $84,000 worth of bonds by the government commission at Raleigh.

In addition to laying extensive water mains and sewers, the beach program also embraced paving the principal thoroughfares not already paved. WILM.STAR, 11-16-1947.


January 15, 1948 …. Carolina Beach, Kure Beach, Fort Fisher
The winter bus schedule of the Queen City Coach Company for Wilmington, Carolina Beach and Fort Fisher went into effect today. Communities served by the Wilmington-Fort Fisher route were Masonboro Junction, Seagate, Myrtle Grove, Seabreeze Junction, Carolina Beach and Kure‘s Beach. The first bus left Fort Fisher at 5:45 a.m. and reached Wilmington 6:30 a.m. The last bus to leave Fort Fisher was at 12:15 a.m. and arrived in Wilmington at 1 a.m. WILM.POST, 1-12-1948.


January 19, 1948 …. Carolina Beach
The State Highway Commission notified New Hanover County that the Request from Carolina Beach residents for improvements to several streets at the resort had been rejected. WILM.POST, 1-19-1948.


February 6, 1948
Mayor A.P. Peay, of Carolina, proclaimed today as a “Day of Prayer” at the resort. This special day corresponded to a worldwide observance of a “world Day of Prayer.”
Special prayer services were conducted at St. Paul‘s Methodist Church with a picnic lunch of the church grounds. WILM.POST, 2-5-1948.


February 20, 1948 …. Carolina Beach
Mrs. Ida Belle Abernethy, a native of Wilmington, will manage the Carolina Realty Company, a new real estate firm set up at Carolina Beach by F.E. Livingston & Company. Mrs. Abernethy was the daughter of the late
Captain Dick Burnett and a sister of Councilman R.L. Burnett. WILM.POST, 2-21-1948.


March 3, 1948 …. Carolina Beach
A charter was issued by Secretary of State Thad Eure in Raleigh to Palais Royal, Inc., of Carolina Beach, which will operate as a hotel firm. Listed as stockholders were Aaron Goldberg, Abe Rubin and Henry Omirly. WILM.POST, 3-3-1948.


March 11, 1948 …. Carolina Beach
Carolina Beach was experiencing a building boom which sent construction costs there to more than $250,000 by June 1. The construction projects included business structures, residences, apartments, and municipal buildings. The business construction included a new bus terminal valued at $30,000 and $50,000 worth of private commercial building by A.L. Mansfield, E.C. Register, Roscoe T. Griffin, James Cotroukis and William Hodges. Most of the business structures were located on the ocean front. Apartments and private residences were being built by A.L. Mansfield, J.R. Bame, Mrs. R.E. Bracken, E.W. Sessoms, Mrs. Doris Clardy, Sam Frisbee, Raymond Starr, J.R. Dodson, J.E. Wilson, Glenn Tucker and W.E. Tucker.

Carolina Beach planned to construct a pump-house to increase the resort water supply at a cost of $5,000 and a $5,000 equipment shed at Third and Raleigh streets, was recently completed.
Building improvements included expansion of the Southern Bell Offices and brick-veneering of the Bame Hotel, as well as erection of an American Legion home at Third and Raleigh streets. In addition to all there was a $182,000 street program underway. WILM.POST, 3-11-1948.


March 13, 1948
It was announced that Bishop W. Walter Peele, of Richmond, Va., would be the principal speaker at the 6th annual Easter Sunrise Service at Carolina Beach. The service was to be held Easter Sunday morning at 6 o‘clock on the Boardwalk at the end of Harper Avenue. A choir of 75 mixed voices from the churches of Carolina Beach, would perform under the direction of Mrs. J. Myatt. Bishop Peele served as pastor of the Methodist churches in Raleigh and Charlotte, before being elected bishop.
The arrangements committee included Jim Laney, R.R. Russell, Dan Grady, C.F. Lewis, Jr., and Mrs. David Blackman. WILM.POST, 3-13-1948.


March 24, 1948
The City of Wilmington withdrew its opposition to cutting an inlet at Carolina Beach, which would herald the return of shell fishing industry there. An injunction against the proposal was brought by the city in 1941.
The injunction was vacated when it was found that the city‘s water supply would no longer be endangered by cutting of the inlet. WILM.POST, 3-24-1948.


April 1, 1948 …. Carolina Beach
Carolina Beach Growing. – Upwards of a quarter million dollars of new construction authorized by the city building inspector was underway at Carolina Beach, as the beach prepared for the 1948 season. Largest of the new buildings going up was the bus terminal of the Queen City Coach Company. The new terminal was to cost $30,000.

Among other large structures was to be a $20,000 drug store with apartments above in the rear of the new post office and a $10,000 concession pavilion on the boardwalk. Also the completion of the new boardwalk.
The town of Carolina Beach was also pushing the completion of its $200,000 sewer and water line extension program.


April 9-11, 1948
Carolina Beach was conducting a “Clean-Up Week” in preparation for the Wilmington Azalea Festival. Mayor A.P. Peay of Carolina Beach issued a proclamation in connection with the Sorosis Clean-up Campaign for Wilmington and New Hanover County. WILM.POST, 3-18-1948.


May 2, 1948 …. Fort Fisher
Flames threatened to destroy the administration building, assembly hall and all cottages and dormitories of the Baptist Seaside Assembly at Fort Fisher, but the combined efforts of the Carolina Beach and Kure‘s Beach fire department prevented serious damage.
Several Small buildings were destroyed as the flames, fanned by a stiff west wind swept in from the Cape Fear River, raced across the underbrush. Fortunately the fire hydrants were still usable which were left over at the gigantic Camp Davis anti-aircraft artillery range from World War II. The fire departments and the available hydrants saved the main buildings which were the summer headquarters for the North Carolina State Baptist Convention. WILM.STAR, 5-3-1948.


May 12, 1948 …. Carolina Beach
Isabel Lewis from Kure Beach was made queen of the day at the formal opening of Carolina Beach for the 1948 season. Upwards of 10,000 visitors poured into the resort which was described as the largest opening day crowd in the history of the resort.


May 15, 1948 …. Carolina Beach
More than 15,000 persons crowded into Carolina Beach on May 15th and 16th. It was the largest crowd so far this season. The crowd was estimated at 50 per cent greater than the 10,078 who visited the previous weekend. The bright sunny weather saw the surf crowded with bathers and the beach covered with persons seeking sun tans. Thousands were on the boardwalks caused by an unusual boom in business establishments. For the first time this season all hotels were filled to capacity. WILM.STAR, 5-17-1948.


May 25, 1948 …. Carolina Beach
Built of the stuff of which heroes are made, 12-year-old Douglas Batson, son of Mr. and Mrs. W.H. (Bill) Batson, of Carolina Beach yesterday afternoon saved Peggy Brown, 10, from drowning at imminent risk of his own life. She was swept by the swells 100 yards across the slue and Douglas went immediately to her aid and finally succeeded in bringing her back safely to shallow water, a distance of 100 yards.


July 5, 1948
The 4th annual home-coming day of the Carolina Beach Community Church will be held on July 11th. The modest structure which houses the worshippers of the Community Church was the first church building to be erected at Carolina Beach proper, built in 1932.


July 8, 1948
Police Chief Bruce Valentine announced that one new officer had assumed duties and two additional men will be hired immediately to patrol Carolina Beach throughout the remainder of the 1948 beach season, which ended officially September 15th. George R. Richardson, of Maffitt Village, was the latest addition to the police force. Presently ten men compose the resort‘s law enforcement department. WILM.STAR, 7-9-1948.


July 11, 1948
The fourth annual home-coming day at the Carolina Beach Community Church was held. The modest structure which houses this church was the first church building erected at Carolina Beach proper. A large out-of-town attendance had been expected and it happened. Special music was provided with Mrs. S.D. Kelly as soloist and Mrs. B.F. Mallard and Mrs. Joseph V. Marley rendering a duet. Dinner was served outside on the grounds, and there was a special morning and afternoon service. The pastor of the church was Rev. J.B. McQuere, who was the church‘s first full-time pastor who was called in January, 1944. WILM.STAR, 7-4-1948.


July 16, 1948 …. Carolina Beach
The Carolina Beach town board formally adopted a budget of $109,425,500 for the 1948-49 fiscal year, and reduced its tax rate by 10 cents to $1.50 on the $100 property valuation. WILM.STAR, 7-17-1948.


August 1, 1948 …. Carolina Beach
A $100,000 street improvement and a half-million gallon water storage facility will be started at Carolina Beach this coming fall, according to Mayor A.P. Peay. The mayor also reported that the sewerage disposal system would also be enlarged.


August 4, 1948 …. Carolina Beach
J. Frank Collier, president of the Carolina Beach Fishing Pier Corp., announced that construction will begin immediately on a modern fishing pier at Carolina Beach. It will be between 800 and 900 feet long. The pier will be built on Carolina Beach Avenue, North, and 16th Avenue. WILM.STAR, 8-4-1948.


September 11, 1948 …. Carolina Beach
A special meeting was held at the City Hall by the Lions Club of Carolina Beach. They were there to celebrate their charter which had been recently granted to them. It was officially presented by H.W. Hood, district governor of Lions International. Eugene Ballard of Wilmington served as master of ceremonies, and Ed McMahon, of Brevard, N.C., a member of the board of directors of Lions International, was the main speaker. Following the charter presentation, a dance was held, with Bob Berman and his Orchestra providing the music. The organization of the Carolina Beach Lions Club was sponsored by the Leland Club, under the direction of Mac F. Jones, president. The new club had a charter membership of 24, which had been meeting bi-monthly for three months. Glenn M. Tucker, a former member of the Leland Club had been elected president of the new club. Other officers included Guy O. Tripp, Albert Harris, Louis Leiner, J.C. Bame, James A. Knox, Cliff Smith, Jr.. The board of directors included Frank Collier, W.H. Shinn, W.L. Farmer and J.B. McQuere. The other members of the club were: Paul E. Bannerman, R.G. Barr, Fred E. Bost, E.F. Courie, Bert Jewell, Adolph Kaus, F.L. Ludwig, D.B. Mixon, M.T. Ridaught, Edgar Sessoms, Bruce Valentine and George Wood. (STAR, 9-10-1948)


September 20, 1948
Alvin (Red) Willetts was elected post commander of the Carolina Beach American Legion Post held in the Legion Hut. The meeting was presided over by retiring Post Commander Earl Kluttz and was attended by 28 of the 39 members. The other officers chosen were: Robert (Bb) Lamb former principal of the Carolina Beach school, first vice commander; Edward Sears, Kure Beach service station operator, second vice commander; Jason S. Brown, third vide commander; Ernest Bame, of Bame Hotel, finance officer; and Jerry J. Krinuk, sergeant at arms. WILM.STAR, 9-21-1948.


September 23, 1948 …. Carolina Beach
The 1948 summer season at Carolina Beach was successful in nearly every respect despite the polio ban. This was the opinion of Mayor A.P. Peay. Also of an optimistic view, two buildings with masonry walls were to be erected in the business district in the near future.

George B. Applewhite, Carolina Beach realtor, also was of the opinion that the past season was very successful from a business viewpoint. WILM.STAR, 9-24-1948.


October 4, 1948 …. Carolina Beach
The first polio cast to occur at Carolina Beach this year was Benjamin Clifton, age 5, who was admitted to the contagion ward at the James Walker Memorial Hospital. His case was the 54th for New Hanover County this year. WILM.STAR, 10-5-1948.


December, 1948 …. Carolina Beach
Albert Benway, 76, formerly of Wilmington, died at West Peabody, Mass. He moved from Wilmington in 1918, was the father of W.A. Benway, operator of Benway Concessions, at Carolina Beach. WILM.STAR, 12-24-1948.


July 1949 …. Carolina Beach
Randy H. Hamilton, 28, professor of political science at U.N.C., was hired as city manager. His salary was set at $4,500. STAR, 7-15-1949.


August 7, 1949 …. Carolina Beach
Lloyd V. Kirby, 26 year old former resident of Lexington, N.C., purchased “Bob City” at Carolina Beach from A.W. Dugan, Jr., and he planned to operate it as a “juke box dance hall.”


Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994