Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994
March 17, 1934
Norman Mintz, commissioner of finance, announced that ten cottages, ranging from five to ten rooms, had been built at Carolina Beach since January 1st. Contractors were working on plans for about sixteen more. He added that it was possible that a large garage would be constructed at the resort soon. WILM.STAR, 3-18-1934.
March 17, 1934
C.B.Parmele & Company, Inc. announced the opening of a new beach residential development north of Carolina Beach. The development, located from 5th to 17th avenues, was owned jointly by the Parmele company and the Home Real Estate Loan & Insurance Company of Winston-Salem. It was composed of about 200 lots, half of which were on the ocean front, and the remainder on the sound. About 5 lots had been sold and construction of several homes was to be started soon. Both water and electric power were available. Construction of a hard surface roadway, known as Carolina Beach Avenue, has been completed to 7th Street and was to be carried out as the area was developed. The development was to be known as the northern section of Carolina Beach. WILM.STAR, 3-18-1934.
April 10, 1934
A man from Atkinson, N.C. was arrested for speeding across the Carolina Beach highway inland canal bridge as the span was being opened. He was badly cut and bruised when his automobile jumped the widening space between the bridge and crashed into a guard rail. The man later pleaded guilty in Wilmington‘s Recorder‘s Court, and Judge George Harriss ordered restitution to the State Highway Commission. WILM.NEWS, 5-17-1934.
April 19, 1934
The Wilmington Chamber of Commerce urged Mrs. Thomas O‘Berry, state FERA administrator, and Luther T. Rogers, district engineer, to approve the Carolina Beach public pavilion project. The pavilion would be operated by the Town of Carolina Beach, and the resort government agreed to bear a portion of the material costs. WILM.STAR, 4-20-1934; WILM.NEWS, 4-19-1934.
May 16, 1934
The purported continuation of the use of the name Carolina Beach for a resort at Kitty Hawk, N.C., despite a permanent injunction forbidding the use of the name, was called to the attention of Mayor M.C. McIver, of Carolina Beach, by Louis T. Moore, of the Wilmington Chamber of Commerce. The court order was obtained in 1933. WILM.NEWS, 5-16-1934.
May 17, 1934
Billy Kornegay & His Rhythm Kings Orchestra will begin the first of the dances at the Carolina Beach pavilion to open the 1934 season at the popular resort. Something new in the entertainment will be The Rhythm Trio who have been a hit at all their engagements. Dancing will be from 9 pm to 1 am. WILM.NEWS, 5-16-1934.
May 19, 1934
A pre-season dance was held at the Carolina Beach pavilion, with Johnnie Winks and his Jazz Orchestra providing the music. Mitzi Miller, ‘the little girl with the big voice’ was soloist. WILM.NEWS, 5-18-1934
June 4, 1934
Construction of a 400-foot fishing and amusement pier at Carolina Beach was scheduled to be started by the Kure Land and Development Company, Inc., within the next few weeks. Application for permission to build the structure was this morning with the Wilmington District Army Engineer, Col. Eugene Reybold. Permission was usually granted in two weeks.
The new pier was to be located about 300 feet north of the pavilion at the beach. It was to extend 400 feet into the ocean and would be 18 feet wide. It was to be of the ‘T’ type with the end, 98 by 18 feet. The structure would be 16 feet about mean high water, the dept of which at this point ranges from 10 to 15 feet.
W.L. Kure, corporation president, said it would be the second largest pier in the county. L.C. Kure, secretary and treasurer, filed the application. This concern also owns and operates a 700-foot pier at Kure‘s Beach, south of Carolina Beach. It is considered one of the outstanding attractions of the southern New Hanover strands. WILM.NEWS, 6-4-1934; WILM.STAR, 6-5-1934.
June 7, 1934
(adv.) Mack‘s Café, formerly on the ocean front at Carolina Beach had moved to a new location, just south of ‘Canal Bridge’ at the Forks of the Road. Seafood was a specialty. ‘Best Foods, Properly Cooked and Where Service is the Best.’ WILM.STAR, 6-7-1934; WILM.NEWS, 5-11-1934
June 10, 1934
The Atlantic Cottage on the Northern Extension of Carolina Beach announced their opening for the season. The Tea Garden and Dance Floor were also open, and Johnnie Winks and his Orchestra were featured. Surf Bathing was available. A delicious dinner and concert was offered in the evenings for 75 cents. WILM.STAR, 6-10-1934.
June 17, 1934
The largest June crowd in the history of Carolina Beach visited the resort today. It was estimated that from 10,000 to 12,000 automobiles visited the resort. A count on the preceding Sunday showed more than 5,000 cars visited the town. This count was reported by the Carolina Beach Boosters‘ Club. WILM.STAR, 6-20-1934.
June 18, 1934
An unidentified two-masted sloop was reported to have disappeared at sea off Carolina Beach. It was believed to have sunk. A large crowd of people saw the vessel, some three miles out and apparently three men on board. Some reported that the vessel was flying a distress signal. The sloop appeared to be anchored, but it broke loose and began drifting in an E-NE direction, and suddenly vanished from sight. The sea was running high at the time. The Coast Guard was notified. WILM.STAR, 6-19-1934.
June 20, 1934
The Greystone Roof Garden, at Carolina Beach, was opened with a brilliant dance. The music for the season was to be furnished by Cliff Smith and his 12-piece orchestra who was engaged again by popular demand. It was announced that a portable awning would be used to cover the roof garden on rainy nights. The dance floor had been enlarged to take care of the larger crowds. Small tables were arranged around the floor. WILM.STAR, 6-17-1934.
June 21, 1934
An opening dance was held at the Atlantic Cottage Tea Garden on the northern extension of Carolina Beach. ‘Dance by the side of the sea to the rhythm of Snappy Music.’ 60 cents per couple. Sandwiches, Salads, Beer, Cold Drinks. WILM.STAR, 6-21-1934.
June 23, 1934
Milton Pittman, Carolina Beach commissioner of public works, reported that approximately 45 summer residence had been constructed at the resort since the close of last season. The total amount of new construction was estimated at $90,000. The buildings erected recently were of a better type than the ones previously built. Ordinances required all to be placed in line with others on the streets and certain distances between the structures must be observed. A law had been recently passed by the board providing for a fire zone in the heart of the town.
In addition to residential construction, the firm of MacMillan & Cameron had built an attractive service station at the town‘s main entrance. The community had been enlarged and several new attractions had been provided. WILM.STAR, 6-24-1934.
June 24, 1934
Approximately 45 summer residences had been constructed at Carolina Beach since the close of the last season. The total amount of new construction is estimated at $90,000. WILM.STAR, 6-24-1934.
June 28, 1934
The State Highway and Public Works Commission received a request of a New Hanover delegation for a riverside drive along the eastern bank of the Cape Fear River, from Wilmington to Fort Fisher.
The congested state of traffic on Carolina Beach Road (Route 40) especially during the beach season, was to be checked by the Commission and this would determine future action. WILM.NEWS, 6-29-1934.
July 4, 1934 …. Federal Point
It was estimated that between 12,000 and 15,000 persons visited Carolina Beach alone during the holiday, while Walter Winner of Fort Fisher Beach reported the largest crowd of bathers and fishermen at that resort in the past four year.
Kure‘s Beach also reported a large attendance. Thousands of blacks, traveling by automobile, by truck and on foot visited Seabreeze Beach during the day. Dances were held at the Carolina Beach pavilion and the Greystone roof garden. Each place reported a capacity crowd. Only one fatality was reported at any of the reports, a black man, Robert Harper, was drowned at Seabreeze when he ventured out over his depth in the Inland Waterway. His body was not recovered.
Jimmy Tolbert and his Royal Melodians played at the Carolina Beach pavilion and Cliff Smith and his Orchestra furnished music at the Greystone with Miss Julia Ellington as soloist. WILM.NEWS, 7-5-1934;
July 11, 1934
The North Carolina Supreme Court found that Carolina Beach, in New Hanover County, has ‘de facto’ officers as its charter provision that electors must own real estate was void, but held that the officers had governed the city in the public view and that a $50,000 issue of water bonds they had authorized was a legal and valid obligation of the town. WILM.NEWS, 7-11-1934.
July 11, 1934
A budget of $13,550 for the 1934-35 fiscal year, based on taxable valuation of $436,000 and a tax rate of $3, including a $2 assessment ordered by the court, was adopted by the Carolina Beach board of commissioners. N.L. Mintz, commissioner of finance, reported that an audit for the past fiscal year would be made shortly. WILM.NEWS, 7-12-1934.
August 2, 1934
The U.S. Coast Guard cutter NAUGATUCK anchored off Carolina Beach while participating in the Pirates‘ Second Annual Carnival that opened today. The vessel was commanded by Cmdr. Christianson. The NAUGATUCK drew eight feet of water so it was able to come in close to the beach. She was 100 feet long and carried a crew of sixteen. She had passenger capacity of 200 on deck. She carried a 3-inch gun forward, machine guns, flare guns, army rifles and .45 caliber automatics, the latter for every man on ship. WILM.NEWS, 8-1-1934.
August 2, 1934
THE MORNING STAR, of Wilmington, included a page of Carolina Beach advertisers, in their August 2nd issue.
Those advertising were:
- Batson Bath House and Batson Apartments.
- Webb‘s Café, Sea Foods or a la carte.
- W.H. West, Groceries and Pavilion Bath House.
- Faison Amusement Company, Merry-Go-Round and Ferris Wheel.
- Watson Apartments and Rooms, End of Boardwalk, Northern Extension.
- The Greystone Inn and Roof Garden, with Cliff Smith and His Orchestra.
- Mrs. L. L. King, Sea Food Café – Only Dining Room on Ocean Front.
- Atlantic Cottage, with Open Air Tea Garden.
- Register Bath House – Souvenirs and Bathing Suits
August 2-4, 1934
The Pirates‘ Second Annual Carnival was held at Carolina Beach. ‘Captain Kidd’ was to take charge of the resort today, formally opening the three-day feast of fun and frolic. Today and tonight there was a beauty pageant and pirate pageant, free street dance and concert by the 252nd Coast Artillery Band.
Other events during the festival were life saving drills by coast guardsmen, with the Cutter NAUGATUCK standing by; aquatic and swimming contests, baby and children pirate pageants and a Spanish Fiesta, the latter staged by Allie Morris Whitfield Studio of Dancing. The grand finale on Saturday would include the coronation of a queen and pyrotechnic display. WILM. NEWS, 8-2-1934; 8-1-1934; 8-6-1934; 7-3-1934; 7-10-1934; WILM.STAR, 8-2-1934; 8-3-1934; 8-5-1934.
August 4, 1934
Miss Lena McCay, of Atlanta, Ga., was crowned Queen of the Second Annual Pirates‘ Carnival at Carolina Beach by Captain William Kidd (W.H.Batson). More than 15,000 people were on hand for the final night‘s program. The day‘s activities included a bathing beauty parade and a pirate parade. And in the evening there were a series of boxing matches. WILM.STAR, 8-5-1934.
September 2, 1934
The War Department declined the request of L.C. Kure to construct a large fishing and amusement pier at Carolina Beach, made some time ago to the Wilmington District Army Engineer, on the grounds the Town of Carolina Beach had not given its permission.
There were no objections to the pier from a standpoint of navigation and permission would have been granted had the town officials given their permission.
Official notice of Mr. Kure‘s application for permission to build the pier was made by the district office on June 5th. WILM.STAR, 9-2-1934; WILM.NEWS, 8-31-1934.
September 4, 1934
The last dance of the current season was held at the Greystone Roof Garden, Carolina Beach, with music by the popular Cliff Smith Band. The band was the only musical organization still playing in the county after Labor Day. WILM.NEWS, 9-4-1934.
September 11, 1934
An all-day picnic for about 500 Wilmington boys and girls was arranged by many persons and agencies cooperating in the undertaking. City Commissioner J.E.L. Wade was in charge of the outing, and the transportation was provided by Al‘s Taxi Company, A.A. Brandon, owner and operator, and the Wilmington Bus Company. The following organizations and agencies participated: Salvation Army, Wilmington Police Department, Brigade Boys‘ Club, Y.M.C.A., and the ladies of the Goldenrod Chapter, No. 142, Order of the Eastern Star. WILM.NEWS, 9-10-1934.
October 2, 1934
A $39,000 issue of waterworks bonds of the town of Carolina Beach were sold to the Public Works Administration (PWA) by the local government commission in Raleigh. Advertisements for bids for materials to be used in construction of the plant were released September 20th by the town‘s board of commissioners.
A $50,000 loan from the PWA was approved by that body some time ago. Present plans called for the construction of a deep well, deep well pump, pump house, 100,000 gallon tank, erected on a 100 foot tower and proper foundations and a distribution system. WILM.NEWS, 10-3-1934. See also WILM.NEWS, 8-30-1934; 9-21-1934; 11-25-1934; 12-6-1934; 12-21-1934; 2-12-1935.
October 12, 1934
The Carolina Beach board of commissioners opened bids for contract to construct a modern water works system, made possible through a PWA loan. The opening of the bids was held in the dining room of Bames‘ Hotel. WILM.NEWS, 10-11-1934; 10-15-1934.
Local labor, employed through the National Re-employment office, was to be used on the Carolina Beach water system job. WILM.NEWS, 10-12-1934.
October 29, 1934
The winners in a contest to select names for eight cottages under construction at Carolina Beach were announced by George B. Applewhite, realtor. The winners and the name chosen: CHATTER BOX, Mrs. Chas. A. Lutz, 806 Market St; THE SPRAY, Mrs. F.S. Burr, 315 S.2ndSt.; DIP-A-DAY, Mrs. E. G. Wilson, Chadbourn; TWILDO, Mrs. Porter Wagstaff, 513 S. 5th Ave.; C-SIDE, Mrs. W.J. Marshall, RFD 3; THE BILLOWS, Mrs. Albert Harriss, 308 N.2nd St.; LAZY-DAY, Mrs. Grace Canady, P.O. Box 723; SAND PIPER, Mrs. F.G. Fowler, Carolina Beach. WILM.NEWS, 10-29-1934.
November 23, 1934
A new mayor was to be picked by the Carolina Beach board of commissioners to replace M. C. McIver, retired lumberman, who had resigned two months earlier because of ill health. Commissioner Norman Mintz, commissioner of finance, had been serving as acting mayor. The task of obtaining a mayor was proving a difficult one. Two men, J.R. Bame, hotel operator, and George B. Applewhite, realtor, had already refused the post. McIver had been mayor since 1931. He was re-elected for a second 2-year term in May, 1933. WILM.STAR, 11-12-1934; 11-17-1934.
December 6, 1934
Norman Mintz, commissioner of finance of the Town of Carolina Beach, reported that the bid of W.A. Simon, Wilmington contractor, to dig the well for the Carolina Beach waterworks system had been rejected and that of the Sidney Pump and Well company of Richard, Va., accepted. WILMINGTON STAR, 12-7-1934.
November 23, 1934
About 25 men were now employed on the construction of 10 houses at Carolina Beach. Eight of the structures, located on the northern extension, were being built by W. W. Scott, of Rocky Point, for Boney Wilson, also of Rocky Point, and the remaining two were in the southern section of the resort. They were being erected by A.B. Yopp, of Wilmington, for W.M. Edwards, also of Wilmington. They were the first to be erected at the beach this fall, and the average cost was about $1,500 each. The plumbing in the dwellings was under contract with W.W. Way & Sons, of Wilmington. WILM.STAR, 11-23-1934.
December 11, 1934
R.C. Dellinger, manager of the federal re-employment bureau here, reported that about 50 persons have been placed on the Carolina Beach PWA waterworks project.
The majority of the men were classed as unskilled labor. WILM.STAR, 12-12-1934.
December 11, 1934
A committee to work out revisions in the charter of the town of Carolina Beach was appointed after Emmett Bellamy, local attorney, had pointed out defects in the present charter of the resort at a meeting of property holders at the New Hanover County Courthouse.
The charter now provided that only lot owners at the resort may vote in municipal elections. This was pointed out to be unconstitutional under the constitution of North Carolina, which provided that any person over 21 years of age is eligible to vote provided he has complied with the necessary residential requirements.
The only alternative, as pointed out by Mr. Bellamy, would be for the town to abide by the constitutional requirements for voting, which would give the franchise only to year round residents, or to allow the governor to appoint the officers. The consensus of the meeting was that the latter two methods would be unfair to the majority. WILM.STAR, 12-11-1934; 12-12-1934.
December 23, 1934
J.L. Becton, supervising engineer for Carolina Beach, announced that the erection of the large tank for the Carolina Beach waterworks, system, a PWA project, would be started around February 1st.
R.R. Eagle, general contractor of New Bern, started work on November 27th and to date about half of the distribution system had been placed. In addition, 30 of 53 piles had been driven in constructing the foundation for the tank.
The 1,400 feet of 10-inch piping had been placed, 3,600 of the 6,900 feet of 6-inch piping had been installed and 2,000 of the 12,000 feet of 2-inch piping was underground. About half of the 24 hydrants had also bee installed.
The system was made possible for the town through a $50,000 loan and grant from the Public Works Administration. WILM.STAR, 12-22-1934
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994