Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994
January 5, 1930
John Stanley, a Wilmington youth who returned today from Memphis, Tenn., emptied a bottle filled there with water from the Mississippi River, and mixed it with the water of the Atlantic Ocean along the strand at Kure‘s Beach. Stanley attended a B.Y.P.U conference in Memphis, and he had carried with him a bottle of water taken from the surf at Kure‘s Beach and mixed with the waters of the ‘Father of Waters’, the Mississippi River.
This incident recalled that the sands of Calais, Maine, and Key West, Florida, were mingled in the center of the new twin bridge across the Cape Fear River at Wilmington on the day of its opening. WILM.NEWS, 1-6-1930.
January 20, 1930
Construction of the temporary wooden bridge at the intersection of the Carolina Beach road with section five of the Beaufort-Cape Fear five inland waterway system was scheduled to begin in the near future. Detour approaches and embankments had already been constructed. The temporary span was to be used for 11 months or so. The wooden bridge was to be built on the river side of the beach highway. WILM.NEWS, 1-20-1930
March 7, 1930
The Carolina Beach pavilion had been leased to Dell Wilkins and his Floridians for the 1930 season. W.H. West was to again operate the bath house at the pavilion. A number of new cottages had recently been completed at the resort and several more were under construction. WILM.STAR, 3-8-1930; WILM.NEWS 3-7-1930
March 8, 1930
It was announced that a new hotel was to be erected at Carolina Beach. It was to be a 3-story building, modern in every respect, and it was to be built by J.R. Bame. Construction was to begin at once and to be completed by June 1st. There were to be 36 rooms. J.N. Bryant was awarded the contract for the erection of the building. The location of the new hotel was to be west of Cape Fear Boulevard, located between the Colonial Inn and the ocean. Woodus Kellum, attorney, of Wilmington, handled all the legal details in connection with the project. WILM.STAR, 3-9-1930; WILM.NEW, 3-7-1930
March 9, 1930
Rapid progress on the dredging of Section Five of the Intracoastal Waterway canal had brought earlier use than expected for the temporary wooden bridge across the waterway on the Carolina Beach Road. The temporary bridge was not entirely completed but the structure was deemed safe for traffic.
The early traffic was due to crowds of people wanting to view the progress of the dredging, and they crossed and re-crossed the bridge. The temporary bridge was built about 200 yards north of the main highway bridge. The highway was severed by the dredge before the wooden bridge was completed and forces had to speed up for the opening. So many spectators came by automobile to see the progress of the dredge that traffic at one time was almost an unbroken line of cars from the city to the beach. WILM.STAR, 3-10-1930
The bid of the Roanoke Bridge and Iron Works, of Roanoke, Va., was approved for the construction of a permanent bridge across the Inland Waterway on Highway No. 40, Carolina Beach Road, on February 4, 1930. Cost $87,500. J.D. Orrell, of Wilmington, has the contract for construction of a temporary bridge to be used while the permanent bridge work is underway. Construction is to begin in about 60 days. WIL.STAR, 2-5-1930
1930-1931 …. Federal Point
Approval of the supplementary contract of the Roanoke Iron and Bridge Works, Roanoke, Va., for the construction of a steel bridge over the inland waterway on the Carolina Beach highway was given this afternoon by the chief of Army Engineers. Approximately 50 local men will be employed in the construction of the bridge. WILM.NEWS, 10-2-1930; 11-12-1930; WIL.STAR, 8-10-1931.
March 27, 1930
Secretary of War in Washington allotted $135,000 for construction work on the Inland Waterway from Beaufort to Cape Fear River. According to the Wilmington office of the U.S. Army engineer, this money was to be used in the construction of a permanent bridge across the waterway on the Wilmington-Carolina Beach highway, as there was only a temporary structure at the crossing point on the highway at present.
Bids for work on the bridge were opened some time ago, but the award of the contract was never made by the engineering department. In the meantime, money for the bridge had been spent on dredging work, on section 4 of the waterway. This allotment was thus made by the Secretary of War for the erection of the bridge. WILM.STAR, 3-28-1930.
April 4, 1930
The connection of the Cape Fear River with Myrtle Grove Sound, by way of the Inland Waterway, was completed when the dredge of the Atlantic, Gulf and Pacific Company, working on Section Five of the Waterway, cut through to the sound.
Reaching the sound brings near completion of the work on Section Five, which was halted for some time by the failure of the company to which the contract was originally awarded. WILM.STAR, 4-5-1930.
April 16, 1930
E.M. Covell, former army aviator and globe trotter, purchased a lot at Carolina Beach and will build a home. He is in the advertising business covering several southern states. WILM.STAR, 4-16-1930.
April 29, 1930
The Ocean View Hotel, at Carolina Beach, was leased for the coming season to B.D. Bunn, of Lillington, and G.G. Edwards, of Buie‘s Creek, N.C. The hotel was owned by M.C. McIver, of Wilmington. Mr. Edwards last year was assistant manager of the Ocean View. The lease became effective May 1st. WILM.STAR, 4-30-1930; WILM.NEWS, 4-30-1930.
May 16, 1930
Construction of a new hotel, which was to double the guest capacity of Carolina Beach, was underway. It was to be a 60-room building. The structure was being built by J.R. Bames, of Barber, N.C. and it was planned to open it to the public around May 25th. The name of the hotel has not yet been announced. WILM.NEWS, 5-16-1930.
May 30, 1930
The Ocean View Hotel, Carolina Beach, opened for the new beach season. The Greystone Inn and the new Bames Hotel were preparing for their opening. There were several apartments and about 30 cottages available for the tourists. Many new features of entertainment were to be offered this year. A bigger and better Bingo, a new Tom Thumb golf, indoor golf, and Ocean View Hotel fishing from the pier and deep water fishing was offered. The hotels and apartments could take care of 300 roomers and bathing facilities could easily take care of 1,000. WILM.NEWS, 5-28-1930.
June 5, 1930
Dell Willis, of Harlem, Ky., arrived at Carolina Beach to manage the Carolina Moon pavilion. He and his orchestra, which had been touring the middle-western states during the past winter, was slated to open the dance season at the beach tonight. The band was under the management of Willis Boggess who expected a record-breaking season. The personnel of the 10-piece orchestra included Bob Williams and Dodge Cecil, trumpets; Jack Evan, trombone; Bill Arnold, Ned Guthrie and Bud Fisher, reeds; Glenn Baker, banjo; Cal Martin, bass; Woody Woodruff, drums, and Dell Willis, piano. WILM.NEWS, 6-2-1930.
June 23, 1930
The new Bame‘s Hotel and Café at Carolina Beach was now open. American Plan – $3.00 per day; European Plan – $1.50 per day.
Café prices same as last year. Open all hours. WILM.NEWS, 6-23-1930.
June 27, 1930
Lieut. E. B. Newkirk, a well known airman in the area, was to begin giving a series of stunt flights at Carolina Beach, dropping a fully unflated automobile tire mounted on a genuine wheel from a distance of 2,000 feet in the air, weather permitting. The pilot was also scheduled to take up passengers for a flight over the city, and give them the thrill of stunt flying if they so desire. It was noted that when the tire hits the ground, it would be traveling at the rate of approx. 300 miles an hour, and will have total pressure at impact of 75,000 pounds. WILM.NEWS, 6-27-1930.
July 1, 1930
Plans for a gala 4th of July were going forward rapidly at Carolina Beach, according to T. A. Shepard, chairman of the 4th of July celebration committee. A large number of entertainment features had been arranged, including dancing from 10 a.m. until midnight, a fireworks display on the beach, boat races, swimming races, and numerous other events. The program will include a performance by Chief White Eagle, an Osage Indian, who was to do a snake dance, etc., and a boxing match between Burriss and Eddleman. WILM.NEWS, 7-1-1930; STAR, 7-2-1930.
July 3, 1930
Six local fishermen fishing off Carolina Beach reported a catch of 80 sheephead in 2 1⁄2 hours. The haul was said to be the largest of its kind ever landed at Carolina Beach. The party of anglers consisted of E.H. Tolar, Harry DeCover, Horace Pearsall, T.E. Loftin, Bill Watson and Ellis Freeman. The fish weighed from 1 to 10 pounds each. WILM.STAR, 7-4-1930.
July 4, 1930
The first flight card ever presented at Carolina Beach was offered at the Pavilion, under the promotership of T.A. Shepard and T.H. Skipper. The welterweight boxing bout was between Ken Burris, of Fort Bragg and Wilmington, and Dave Eddleman, of Charlotte. There was also a middleweight bout between Al Massey of Goldsboro, and Red Collins, of Charlotte, and a lightweight bout between Carter Casteen, of Wilmington, and Hugh Penny. WILM.STAR, 7-2-1930.
July 7, 1930
Parking on the east side of the county highway from Carolina Beach to Wilmington Beach was made illegal by the New Hanover County Board of Commissioners. The board adopted an ordinance prohibiting parking on the east side at any time. The action was taken on account of the narrowness of the road and the danger attending the parking of cars on both side of the highway. WILM.STAR, 7-8-1930.
July 9, 1930
A special attraction was offered at the Carolina Moon pavilion at Carolina Beach. Miss Dorothy Mallard was offering her new solo dance – a Broadway attraction that is out of the ordinary. This was her first appearance at popular prices. WILM.STAR, 7-9-1930.
July 23, 1930
A young man, in his 20‘s, after firing a bullet into his side on the steps of the Carolina Beach pavilion after an argument with a girl, stated that “All the women in the world couldn‘t make me shoot myself.” Rumors were circulated that he made a suicide effort. He said he found the gun in his pocket too heavy while dancing, and he tried to give it to a friend when it discharged. The bullet entered his left hand and then entered his left side to lodge near the spinal column. The young man was confined to his bed in James Walker Memorial Hospital, Wilmington, with the bullet remaining where it lodged. WILM.NEWS, 8-4-1930.
August 6, 1930
It was announced in an advertisement that visitors could dance every night between 8:30 and 12 p.m. at the Carolina Moon pavilion at Carolina Beach. Admission 25 cents. No additional charge for dancing. Music by El Barbayand his Southerners, featuring Red Hodges and his Trombone. Drive down and enjoy the evening. Dance and hear the hottest orchestra on the Atlantic coast. W.H. West, Manager. WILM.NEWS, 8-6-1930.
August 7, 1930
B.D. Bunn and G.L. Edwards, proprietors of the Ocean View Hotel at Carolina Beach offered a special sea food dinner from 6 to 8:30 p.m. The menu included Fried Pan Fish, Soft Shell Crabs, Clam Fritters, Shrimp Salad, Fried Spring Chicken, Budded Okra, Rice and Gravy, plus bread, beverages and dessert, all for the price of one dollar. WILM.NEWS, 8-6-1930.
September 16, 1930
W.H. West, of Wilmington, was to operate Bame‘s Hotel at Carolina Beach during the coming winter. The dining room of the hotel would not be open. J. R. Bame, owner and manager of the hotel during the past summer, had returned to his home at Barber, N.C., located in Rowan County. WILM.STAR, 9-17-1930.
October 2, 1930
H.P. Grimm, of the Roanoke Bridge & Iron Works of Virginia, announced that a revised plan for the construction of the government bridge over the inland waterway near Carolina Beach had been placed in the officer of the chief of engineers at Washington, D.C. The plans for the span call for an expenditure of approx. $105,000. The first contract called for costs to total slightly more than $80,000. The additional money was needed on account of the erosion of the Banks of the Waterway. WILM.STAR, 10-3-1930.
November 25, 1930
Construction of the $110,000 draw-bridge over the Inland Waterway near Carolina Beach on Route No. 40, was begun by the Roanoke Iron and Bridge Works, of Roanoke, Va. A small group of workmen began the building operations.
A center pier was to be set in place within the next few days. The span was to be completed before the 1931 season at the beach. The contract was let over a year earlier by government officials but on account of various changes in the plans work had been delayed until today. Local labor was to be used where possible. (Wilm Star, 11-26-1930; Wilm News, 11-13-1930; 11-20-1930; 11-25-1930) See also (Wilm News, 6-5-1930; 11-13-1930; 1-20-1931; 3-12-1931)
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994