Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch, Wilmington Messenger
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994
May 17, 1900
All the county schools have closed for the summer. The last term to end was that of the Federal Point School taught by Miss Lucy Smith which closed today. (Star, 5-19-1990)
January 10, 1900
The government was to use the rock which was dug up in dredging the Wilmington shoal in making repairs to the “rock dam” (The Rocks) at the mouth of the river. (Dispatch, 1-10-1900)
January 15, 1900
Contractor Thad F. Tyler was rebuilding the cottage formerly owned by N.M. McEachern at Carolina beach. S.W. Sanders was the new owner. (Dispatch, 1-15-1900)
January 15, 1900
Contractor Thad F. Tyler began work with a force of carpenters and helpers at Carolina Beach today. His first contract was the rebuilding of the cottage formerly owned by Mr. N.M. McEachern. This work is to be done for Mr. S.W. Sanders who had acquired the cottage.
It was now known that eight of the other cottages which were damaged by the October storm will be rebuilt. They will be built further back from the ocean, most of them a distance of about 100 feet.
The work on the railroad had been completed and it was now just as it was before the storm, only further back from the ocean. The beach was left higher following the storm.
Repairs on the pavilion were to begin soon. It was to be just as it was before the storm. There was not too much to do except dig it out of the sand and fasten the boards which were shaken loose by the storm. Work was also to begin soon on the water works which had been disconnected. (Dispatch, 1-15-1900)
February 7, 1900
A meeting of Sedgeley Hall Club was held. Many members were present. Col. W.A. Johnson, president of the club, and Mr. W.A. Willson, Jr., the secretary, were both present. Plans for repairing the damage by the October, 1899 storm were discussed and action was taken to raise the necessary funds. (Messenger, 2-8-1900)
February 22, 1900
- Mr. Hans A. Kure visited Wilmington and reported on the activity on Carolina Beach recovering from the terrible storm of October, 1899.
- The building which Mr. S.W. Sanders bought from Mr. N.M. McEachern was now nearing completion.
- Major O’Connor was building three new cottages, one for himself and two others. His own cottage was nearly completed. Mr. C.D. Morrill was the contractor.
- The foundations were laid for Mr. D. McEachern’s new cottage. The work was being done by Mr. Vrans Swann.
- Mr. Walter Smallbones’ cottage was about completed.
- Mr. M.F. Coom was to soon have his cottage rebuilt, and it was learned that Mrs. L. Vollers was also going to build.
- The repairs to the pavilion had been completed.
- Work on the hotel was progressing favorably, also on the bar building close to the hotel. (Dispatch, 2-23-1900)
February 28, 1900
The steamer WILMINGTON made a trip to Carolina Beach, leaving the city at 10 a.m. and returning at 5 p.m. Capt. Harper was prepared for a large crowd. Quite a number of the members of the Hanover Seaside Club took the trip, as well as many cottage owners who wished to check out their property. The weather was not perfect but the club members and cottage owners were scattered from one end of the beach to the other. (Messenger, 2-28-1900; 3-1-1900)
March 9, 1900
Captain McGee, who was in charge of the property on Carolina Beach, reported to Captain Harper of the steamer WILMINGTON that he saw a monster whale playing along the beach. He watched it for several hours while it swam about the waterfront, most of the time between the old blockade runner wreck and the club houses.
Captain McGee estimated that the whale was fully 100 feet long. He added that sometimes it would be close in shore for several minutes at a time, its huge body resembling the hull of a ship. Time and again it would spout water high in the air.
The presence of a whale on this coast is a very unusual sight. (Messenger, 3-11-1900)
March 10, 1900
Oceanic Hotel, on Carolina Beach, was being thoroughly repaired and was to be in readiness for the entertainment of guests just as soon as the season opens.
Capt. J. W. Harper told a reported that extensive preparations were to be made to afford guests the very best accommodations. Four new cottages had just been completed and about eight more were to be finished before the season opened. Cottage owners were doing extensive repairs and adding improvements to their property, and it was not to be long before the beach would be in first class order. (Messenger, 3-11-1900)
April 25, 1900
Captain Thomas McKee was the conductor on the Carolina Beach railroad. (Star, 4-25-1900)
April 27, 1900
Capt. John W. Harper announced that the fare to Carolina Beach and return during the summer season will be reduced from 35 to 25 cents. This act by Capt. Harper will be much appreciated by the public. The steamer WILMINGTON was to make its inaugural trip to Carolina Beach for the season on Sunday, April 29th. (Messenger, 4-27-1900)
April 28, 1900
Captain Harper, the genial master of the steamer WILMINGTON and proprietor of the Oceanic Hotel at Carolina Beach, said that he had furnished the 20-odd rooms in the Oceanic Hotel and would have them to let this summer. The rooms would be in charge of Mr. Joe Yopp.
It had been decided not to have boarding accommodations in the hotel building, and dining arrangements could be made with Mr. H.A. Kure and Dr. J.D. Webster in their well arranged boarding houses nearby. The bath houses were to be in charge of Mr. Vrans Swann, as usual. The saloon and cafe were to be conducted by Mr. W.V. Hardin, of Wilmington. (Star, 4-29-1900)
May 6, 1900
Mr. H.A. Kure was thoroughly overhauling and putting in first class the Carolina Beach Hotel. The rooms in the hotel were to be well furnished and were to be rented by the day, week, or month. There were several first class dining halls accessible to the hotel. (Messenger, 5-5-1900)
May 7, 1900
Mr. H.A. Kure went to Carolina Beach with about 25 men to begin to set things to rights for the coming season. He reported that he would have about fifty rooms at his disposal and he was going to change the name of his place from the Kure House to the Carolina Beach Hotel. He also had purchased the cottage of Mr. W.L. Smith, next door to his own place, and he was to build a dining room 46 x 18 feet there. The hotel was to open on May 25th. (Dispatch, 5-5-1900; 5-24-1900)
May 15, 1900
The first moonlight excursion of the season to Carolina Beach was given by Colonel Walker Taylor’s Boys’ Brigade, for the benefit of the encampment fund. There were refreshments, music and dancing. The steamer WILMINGTON departed from the Wilmington wharf at 8 p.m. and returned to the city at 12 midnight. (Dispatch, 5-10-1900)
May 17, 1900
The public school in the Federal Point Township, District No. 8, closed today. It was the last school in the county to close. The school was taught most acceptably by Miss Lucy Smith, Capt. Manning, the county superintendent, said the school had a remarkably successful year in every respect. (Messenger, 5-19-1900)
May 21, 1900
The 20th of May, anniversary of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence, was celebrated in Wilmington and at Carolina Beach. It was also anniversary day for the Wilmington Light Infantry and they celebrated with an excursion to Carolina Beach. Aboard the steamer many of the ladies carried lunches. Mr. R.F. Warren was on board with a grand supply of sandwiches and other edibles and the Palace Bakery had a quantity of ice cream for sale.
The main feature at the beach was the annual target shoot. The company medal and two prizes were to be shot for. The judges of the contests were Col. W.A. Johnson, Adjutant Champ McD. Davis, and Capt. Donald MacRae. (Dispatch, 5-21-1900)
May 21, l900
The exodus to Carolina Beach had begun. The steamer WILMINGTON was loaded with beach furniture. Among those who sent down household effects preparatory to spending the summer on the beach were Mr. Walter Smallbones, Mr. M.L. Croom, Mr. D. McEachern, Mr. Hans A. Kure and Mr. Joe L. Yopp. (Dispatch, 5-21-1900)
May 25, 1900
Real Estate Transfer:
- Property on Carolina Beach, adjoining the east end of Hans A. Kure’s lot, from Winslow W. Smith, of Sanford, to Mrs. Ellen Kure; consideration $150. (Star, 5-26- 1900.
June 4, 1900
Mrs. J.D. Webster, proprietor of the Atlantic View House at Carolina Beach, opened her hotel. It was to be conducted on the European plan during this season. (Star, 6-3-1900)
June 5, 1900
Mr. G.W. Linder went down to Carolina Beach to arrange for his family to move down. His cottage was destroyed by the October storm and he was renting from Mr. Robert Smith. (Dispatch, 6-5-1900)
June 13, 1900
Col. Walker Taylor’s Boys’ Brigade gave an excursion to Carolina Beach. Their committee of arrangements included James A. Price, C.C. Loughlin, E.P. Dudley and Joseph Loughlin. The Sedgeley Hall Club was tendered for the use of the Brigade, and there was to be dancing and other features of entertainment. (Star, 5-31-1900)
August 6, 1900
The mullet season was to open soon. Fales & Nixon and Brooks & Taylor had ordered a quantity of new nets and several new sharpies for a new fishery to be opened at the Rocks. (Dispatch, 8-6-1900)
August 8, 1900
The Junior Order of American Mechanics gave its first family excursion to Carolina Beach on the steamer WILMINGTON.
August 21, 1900
During a thunder storm at Carolina Beach lightning struck a galvanized wire clothes line at Mr. J.L. Winner’s cottage and killed two of Mr. Winner’s calves. The current followed the wire to a cedar tree to which it was attached and also demolished the tree. Later a warning was given to all residents that wire clothes lines or wire fences should always be grounded as a means of safety. (Messenger, 8-28-1900)
September 11, 1900
The Carolina Beach saloon closed for the season, and Mr. W.G. Malpas, of Point Caswell, who had been conducting it for Mr. J.V. Hardin, departed for his home. (Messenger, 9-12-1900)
September, 13, 1900
The season closed at Carolina Beach. It was the most successful in the history of the popular resort.
Captain Harper, of the steamer WILMINGTON, closed the season with an act of benevolence. He gave a free excursion to the old colored people of the city. About 700 went down, and they enjoyed the day beyond words. Messs. Worth & Company, of Wilmington, furnished ice for the trip free of charge. Afterwards a message of thanks was given to Captain Harper by a committee of colored men, including John Harriss Howe, T.C. Hankins, J.O. Nixon, Allen E. Jackson, Thomas Rivers, Jr. and John Holloway. (Messenger, 9-14-1900)
September 19, 1900
Capt. Tom McGee, of Carolina Beach, was engaged as usual this winter keeping engines, cars and other railroad equipment in order. (Dispatch, 9-19-1900; 11-15-1900)
October 19, 1900
Sheriff MacRae will collect taxes at Biddle’s Store, Federal Point Township. (Star, 10-19-1900)
November 28, 1900
Captain Tom McGee, who had charge of Carolina Beach during the winter season, came to Wilmington to arrange for having three new railroad cars built for the next season. (Messenger, 11-28-1900)
Sedgeley Hall Club was no more at Carolina Beach. The property was sold at auction to Mr. Andrew Smith, who planned to make a hotel of it. The sale was made to satisfy the claim of several parties interested, the debts of the club being about $1,600.
The largest claimants were Messs. S. & W.H. Nortrop, who furnished lumber to build the club in 1898. The property was knocked down to Mr. Smith at his bid of $1,000. The property included a spacious beach lot, and a handsome two-story club house on one of the most elevated portions of Carolina Beach. Sedgeley Hall Club was chartered February 10, 1898. The original membership list was 136, but many of them failed to pay in their shares and the club started off under embarrassments.
By last summer the membership had dropped to about 50 or 60, many members having dropped out as they were apprehensive on account of the litigation in progress. The last officers of the club were: Col. W.A. Johnson, president; D.C. Love, vice president; W.A. Wilson, Jr. secretary and treasurer. The Governing Board included W.A. Johnson, D.C. Love, D. O’Connor, John J. Fowler and James F. Post. (Messenger, 12-30-1900)
December 29, 1900
By virtue of a decree of the January term of the New Hanover Superior Court, Herbert McClammy, Esq., receiver, sold at public auction the Sedgeley Hall Club property on Carolina Beach. The property was bid in by Mr. Andrew Smith for $1,000, the sale being, of course, subject to confirmation of the court. (Star, 12-30-1900)
December 29, 1900
The property of the Sedgeley Hall Club at Carolina Beach was to be sold at auction for cash at the New Hanover County court house door today. The property was bordered by property of the New Hanover Transit Company’s railroad track, at its end as now located between the hotel building and ladies’ cottage or nursery, and another corner touching on land conveyed by the Carolina Beach Company to Rev. T. Fred. Price, by deed dated July 21st, 1892, registered in Book II, page 187; and then at a stake marked No. 42, being the same property described in a deed from the New Hanover Transit Company to Sedgeley Hall Club, dated February 10, 1898, and recorded in Book 21, folio 448. H. McClammy was the receiver for the Sedgeley Hall Club. (Messenger, 12-21-1900)
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994