Since Governor Cooper has allowed museums in the state to open, we have decided to re-open on Fridays and Saturdays from 10 am to 4 pm. For the time being we will not be opening on Tuesdays.
We are currently looking at a significant budget shortfall this coming year, due to being closed for six months, which cost us a good deal in donations and gift shop sales. We also did not receive as much from the Town of Carolina Beach as we have in the past, which affected our staffing budget. The Board will be looking at ways to make up the shortfall, including possible fund raisers and we hope to restore our staffing level at some point in the future.
Unfortunately, monthly programs are still on hold. The space is just too small for gatherings of the kind we have had in the past.
We are looking into using Zoom at some point. If there is anyone with experience in producing video programs, and making them available on Zoom or YouTube, please let us know!
Alexander W. Pate was born in Cumberland County in September of 1875. He would grow up to become one of the principal developers of Carolina Beach. In 1912, he and partners bought the holdings of the New Hanover Transit Company from Captain John W. Harper, who developed Carolina Beach as a resort in 1887.
Mr. Pate was the president of Southern Realty Company along with D. N. Chadwick as Vice President and J. J. Loughlin, Secretary-Treasurer. The purchase included a steam train, dock on the Cape Fear River, a railroad to the beach, two pavilions, bath houses and 200 acres of land along the beach for two miles all for $30,000. Later they bought an additional 772 acres from Robert Bruce Freeman to own controlling interest in Carolina Beach. They had a long list of plans and improvements to make it one of the finest resorts on the east coast along with selling lots from their extensive acreage.
By 1914, Mr. Pate and partners had completed an electric light plant to provide lights to all the businesses, cottages and future cottages. They installed a pumping station for two new artesian wells. To encourage people to come on the weekends and look at lots, Captain Harper lowered the price for a trip down on the Steamer Wilmington as did the Atlantic Coast Line and Seaboard Air Line Railroads during the summer months.
A.W. Pate was a tireless supporter of Carolina Beach and had no end of ideas to promote the beach as evidenced by an article in the Sunday Star News of June 18, 1939, by none other than native son, David Brinkley, a writer for the newspaper at that time. Among other projects Mr. Pate describes is one to reroute Highway 17 from going through Wilmington to going by Carolina Beach which never materialized. Here are some excerpts from that article including his comments on dredging Myrtle Grove Sound to make the yacht basin:
Another ambitious project was to provide a trolley line from Wilmington to Carolina Beach. He planned for it to begin at Greenfield Lake near Sunset Park and run parallel with the new hard surface road from the Masonboro Loop Road to Carolina Beach. The Wilmington City Commissioners required a vote of the people in order to issue the franchise for the trolley. On October 11, 1914, the Wilmington & Carolina Beach Railway Company franchise passed by a margin of 473 votes despite opposition from some factions. One caveat was that three miles of the railway must be completed by August 1, 1916.
Mr. Pate had a tentative agreement with the Seaboard Air Line Railroad Company to build the railway and scheduled an in-person meeting with them in Norfolk, Virginia, soon after the franchise was granted. On the morning he was to leave for Norfolk by train, he received a call from them asking to postpone the meeting until the impact of the recent outbreak of WWI could be assessed. As it turned out, the meeting was never held and he failed to build the required three miles by the deadline in 1916, so the project failed.
Not to be completely outdone, in 1939, he did buy a beach car from the Tidewater Power Company who was discontinuing their trolley line to Wrightsville Beach.
He placed it next to his Greystone Inn on Cape Fear Boulevard to use as a diner selling hot dogs. That diner was soon taken over by Mrs. Lille Mae High and became Mrs. High’s Diner.
Next month: Mr. A.W. Pate and the Greystone Inn, Part II
There’s not much left to see in the old Seabreeze community. To view the few bits remaining, turn down S. Seabreeze Rd. at Pelican’s Snowballs. Scattered among the large newer contemporary homes, you will pass several small buildings that have survived the many hurricanes and modern development that have decimated most of the rest of the community’s once significant infrastructure.
If you drive all the way to the Intracoastal Waterway, there’s a gravel parking lot at Carolina Beach Jet-Ski Rentals that affords you a view of the old pilings from one of the restaurants built over the water.
If you are lucky, you just might find one of the last Seabreeze fishermen casting his line.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Paul Laird, age 65, of Leland, NC, who passed away suddenly on Saturday, September 12, 2020. Paul graduated from UNCW with a degree in history.
He was passionate about local history and had a special interest in the Civil War and Revolutionary War periods. Paul was a member of our Society since 2000 and was currently serving on our Board of Directors. He was instrumental in raising funds needed for the interpretive signs for the Joseph Ryder Lewis, Jr. Civil War Park at Carolina Beach. Paul will surely be missed by all who knew him.
Featured Business Member
Hurricane Alley’s, located on the historic Carolina Beach Boardwalk next to the Marriott, is a bar/restaurant founded in May of 2012. At the time the current owner took it over, it was a dilapidated shell of a building that over the years housed a bar named Shipwreck among other businesses. In 2020 the building underwent another major renovation which added 1,500 square feet of rooftop deck with amazing oceanfront views. They added a walk-in cooler, an upgraded kitchen and a full interior update.
The upstairs interior is paneled using wood from the old Kure Beach pier, the bar top was made from a tree that had fallen during one of the recent hurricanes and shelves were made from drift-wood that had washed up on the beach. Hurricane Alley’s serves American food favorites, is open year-round with seasonal hours and welcomes customers of all ages.
Society Notes – Oct. 2020
By Darlene Bright, History Center Director
The History Center reopened for visitation on Friday, September 25
— 5 Visitors. No meeting or program was held.