The Federal Point Historic Preservation Society will hold its monthly meeting on Monday, June 17, 6:30 pm at the Federal Point History Center, 1121-A North Lake Park Blvd., adjacent to Carolina Beach Town Hall.
In lieu of our usual program, we will enjoy our annual summer potluck. Please bring a favorite dish to share with the group. This is always a wonderful time to visit with old friends, but also a great time to introduce new people. PLEASE bring a friend or neighbor who might be interested in joining. Don’t forget we start one hour earlier, at 6:30 pm.
by Elaine Henson
Kure Memorial Evangelical Lutheran Church – Part II
Kure Memorial Chapel was “Serving the Savior by the Sea” and almost five years old when members and Kure Beach residents were invited to a meeting on August 21, 1951, to discuss its future. Those attending voted that the Chapel would become Kure Memorial Evangelical Lutheran Church and affiliated with North Carolina Synod of the United Lutheran Church of America. That organizational meeting marks the birthday of Kure Memorial Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Eighteen adults were present at that meeting including Mrs. Laura Kure Williford, Miss Anne Kure, Margaret and Robert Ford, Bessie and Fred Schenk, Lawrence C. Kure, Oscar and Anna Lee Wren, Isabell and Merritt Foushee, Betty Kure (Mrs. A. E. Sr.) and Jean Gore (later Jean Kure, Mrs. A. E. Jr.). The group adopted a constitution and elected the following church council members: Lawrence C. Kure, Vice Chairman, Margaret Ford, Secretary, Anne Kure, Treasurer and W. E. Williford, Sunday School Superintendent and Council Members Robert Ford, Oscar Wrenn, Merritt Foushee and Fred Schenk. The council decided to leave the charter membership open until one month after the arrival of a full time Pastor.
On Sunday evening, August 26, 1951, the new church held a special service to mark the organization of Kure Memorial Evangelical Lutheran in the barracks church building. Celebrants were Rev. K.Y. Huddle of St. Matthews Lutheran, Rev. J. Frank Davis of St. Paul’s Lutheran and seminarian, Jack Martin. The congregation applied for membership in the North Carolina Synod on October 7, 1951. Rev. Huddle and Rev. Davis continued with Sunday evening services throughout the winter months.
The first congregational meeting was held on January 9, 1952. There was $227.14 in the general fund and $86.10 in the building fund. 75 members were on the roll with an average Sunday School attendance of 64. The Council voted to budget $1,000 toward a pastor’s annual salary of $3,600.
In early 1952, men of the congregation began building a parsonage on the lot next door to the church. It was completed in time for their first pastor, the Rev. David Johnson and his family who arrived in June.
Attendance increased with Pastor Johnson’s ministry. In 1953, the church built its first educational building. It was brick with four classrooms and two bathrooms. Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Kure donated $1,300 for the building with matching funds coming from the N.C. Synod and labor from the men of the church. Dedication services were held for the classroom building on August 30, 1953.
Later that year plans for a new church building began with a fundraising campaign.
Next month: Kure Memorial Evangelical Lutheran Church, Part III
[TAKEN FROM: The War of the Rebellion: a Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies consists of 138,579 pages with 1,006 maps and diagrams assembled in 128 books, organized as 70 volumes grouped in four series, published between 1881 and 1901.]
District of Wilmington: March, 1865; Major-General Schofield directed the District of Wilmington to comprise all the territory under military control of the army operating from Cape Fear River as a base. Brig. Gen. J. E. Hawley, U. S.
Volunteers were assigned to the command and made responsible for the protection of the depot at Wilmington, Cape Fear Harbor, and the line of railroad in rear of the army and, also, appointed provost-marshal-general for the district. The Second Brigade, First Division, Twenty-fourth Corps was ordered to report to Brigadier-General Hawley for duty in the district. On the 1st of the month Major-General Schofield, with a portion of the Twenty-third Corps, and Major-General Terry, with the Provisional Corps, were in the district, but soon moved northward to combine with General Sherman at Goldsborough.
About 8,600 Union prisoners were released on parole, at Northeast Bridge, ten miles above Wilmington and cared for at Wilmington and, thence, transported north; several thousand of them were put into the hospital. This delivery was wholly unexpected, and the district was almost without proper material to care for them properly. They were in a frightful condition in all respects, and a camp or jail fever broke out among them. Besides, they were all sick of the commands of Major-Generals Schofield and Terry, and when Major General Sherman’s columns reached Fayetteville, he sent down 1,000 or 7,000 miserably destitute refugees, white and black, and 1,000 or 2,000 sick and wounded soldiers.
All the supplies that the rebels had left were seized; citizens and citizen physicians were set at work; a heavy force of contrabands were set at work cleaning the city (perhaps the dirtiest ever seen); requisitions were made for supplies, and the surgeons, Doctors Barnes and Buzzell, who died of fever contracted in the hospitals, and Doctor Jarvis, successively in charge, labored faithfully. A portion of the white refugees was sent to New York, as directed by General Sherman. A few blacks were sent to South Carolina, perhaps 500. A large colony of blacks was established at Fort Anderson and the usual efforts were made to get them food, clothing and work.
Brevet Brigadier-General Abbott (with four regiments) was assigned to the command of Wilmington; the battalion of the Sixteenth New York Heavy Artillery was sent down the river; Major Prince to command at Fort Fisher; Captain Beach at Fort Caswell, and Captain Sheppard at Smithville. A company of engineers, under Captain McClure, assisted by a force of contrabands, was set at work on the railroad bridge over Smith’s Creek (Wilmington and Weldon Railroad), 280 feet long, and it was rebuilt substantially before the regular construction train could get around from Goldsborough to finish the Northeast Bridge.
Captured cotton and tobacco were collected and turned over to the treasury agent and afterward to the quartermaster. During the month about 7,000 men in detachments and provisional organizations reported here and were sent forward to Goldsborough and the front. A large amount of stores accumulated here, and the commands of Generals Terry and Kilpatrick were chiefly supplied, hence, before they started for Raleigh.
No important events occurred during the month. The organization of a company of police guard in each county was completed. A great many refugees (white and black) and paroled and released rebels were sent off toward their homes, public property gathered in, soldiers mustered out from their hospitals. The duties incident to such a district kept the forces busy. Major-General Sherman and Chief Justice Chase visited the district during the month.
From Chris Say
(this was served at the May meeting and everybody loved it)
Adapted from Chris’s Grandmother’s recipe
½ cup buttermilk
2 tsp. soda
2 sticks unsalted butter (1 C)
2 cups sugar
6 large eggs
2 cups good quality jam or preserves
4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 tsp. allspice
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. nutmeg
Combine buttermilk and soda. Set aside. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, beating well after adding them. Add jam or preserves, flour, and spices. Add buttermilk and soda mixture to the batter. Blend well. Bake at 350 degrees 1-1/2 hours in greased bundt pan or tube pan. Or, bake in greased layer pans or cupcake pans until done (about 25-30 mins) It will make 3 dozen cupcakes.
Caramel Frosting and Chocolate-Caramel filling (adapted from BBC Good Food, August 2012)
225 grams (1cup/2 sticks) unsalted butter softened
450 grams light brown sugar (2 ¼ cups) firmly packed
175 ml. heavy cream (3/4 cup)
300 grams icing 10X confectioners sugar (2 ¾ cups approx.) sifted when added to mixture
¼ tsp. sea salt or to taste
1 tsp. pure vanilla
100 grams chocolate (dark or semisweet according to preference) 3/4 cup in broken pieces or chips with ¼ cup reserved to make chocolate shavings as decoration
Put 1½ sticks of butter, the light brown sugar, and the heavy cream in a mediun pan. Heat gently until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and simmer the mixture for 5 minutes. Remove from heat . Add vanilla. Pour into a heatproof bowl. With an eletric mixer gradually beat in the 10X sugar as you sift it into the mixture. (This will prevent lumps) Beat the mixture until fluffy. Add the rest of the butter – ½ stick and sea salt to taste. If the frosting is too firm to spread, add a bit more heavy cream. If it is too thick to spread, add a bit more 10X sugar. Put aside ¼ of the mixture to make the chocolate-caramel filling. Frost the cake with the remaining ¾ of the mixture.
Chocolate Caramel Filling
Melt the chocolate and mix it into slightly less than ¼ of the caramel mixture.
Use the chocolate-caramel filling between the layers or slice the cake horizontally and fill with the chocolate-caramel filling. Frost the top and sides (if desired) with the caramel frosting.
KURE BEACH—With a unique nod to Father’s Day weekend, history will come alive June 15-16, 2019, when Fort Fisher State Historic Site hosts a Confederate Navy and Marine Corp living history program 10 am – 4 pm Saturday and 12 noon – 4 pm Sunday.
The event will feature costumed interpreters, small arms demonstrations, special tours, and periodic firings of the site’s 12-pound bronze Napoleon cannon.
As a special bonus, the program will also include the ‘Toy Soldier Workshop,’ a Junior Reserves family activity, in which kids and parents get to paint toy soldiers while learning about military uniforms, colors, and equipment. Participating artists even get to take their work home.
All Fort Fisher programming is made possible through the generous support of the Friends of Fort Fisher and its sustaining members, the Town of Carolina Beach, and the Town of Kure Beach.
Guided Tour Historic Carolina Beach Boardwalk
10 am every Tuesday!
June 18, 2019 – September 3, 2019
50 minutes walking tour
Meet on the Boardwalk at the southeast corner of the new Hampton Inn, near the Visitor’s Bureau Kiosk.
Park at: the Municipal Parking lot across from the Town Marina, as close as you can get to the Hampton Inn. Donation requested: $10.00 per person.
By Darlene Bright, History Center Director
- The History Center recorded 56 visitors in March. There were 50 people in attendance at the May meeting. The History Center was used by the Got-Em-On Live Bait Club and the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC).
- Welcome to new members Dale and Sue Walters of Carolina Beach.
- Thanks to Elaine Henson and Chris Say (see recipe on previous page) for the May refreshments.
- Thanks to Linda Kuharcik for beginning the painting of the sign and door.
- Thanks to John Gregory for taking pictures of the re-plaquing of the Kure Cottage.
- WE STILL NEED PEOPLE TO LEAD (and help lead) THE BOARDWALK TOURS. Call Cheri if you can take a Tuesday.