Hurricanes Diana, Bertha, Fran, Dennis, Floyd and even Florence!
We’ve been organizing and cataloging all the photos in our collection. We’ve got lots and lots of pictures from the days right after Hurricane Hazel and the damage caused by what’s called the Great Atlantic Hurricane of 1944, but we have almost no pictures from our “modern” storms.
If you have pictures please consider LOANING them to us to scan and add to our digital archives. We’ll give them back, and give you a digital copy as well. So dig out those scrapbooks or boxes of photos stashed in the closet and help us document an important historic aspect of life on our coast.
By Darlene Bright, History Center Director
- The History Center recorded 75 visitors in September. There were 41 people at the September meeting.
- The History Center was used by the Got-Em-On Live Bait Club, the UDC, the Walk of Fame Committee, and the Ryder Lewis Park Committee.
- Please note: Last month we welcomed Susan and John Gibbs, (not Swan Gibbs). Sorry about that! This month we welcome Dorothy and Philip Hendrick of Carolina Beach, Eric T. Howell of Carolina Beach and new Business Captain Charlie’s Adventures, owned by Charlie Schoonmaker.
- Thanks to Steve Arthur for helping with the September Newsletter.
- Thanks to Cheri McNeill for providing refreshments for the September meeting.
Our Plaque program is back on track and we’re receiving almost one application a month! We want to especially thank Ned Barnes and his staff for volunteering to do the title searches on the properties. This makes the approval of an application much easier on the property owner and on our review committee. Ned is a longtime business member and supporter of the Society. If you see Ned, be sure to give him a big thank you for all his support and we highly recommend him for any legal needs you may have. He’s right on the island at Pleasure Island Plaza, 1009 Lake Park Boulevard, North or call at 910-458-4466. Thanks again, Ned!