Darlene Bright, History Center Director
- ADDITION to last month’s Oral History.
Punky Kure came by with a list of the early postmasters at the Kure Beach post office – for the official record.
- The original post office was located on “K” Avenue where the T-shirt shop is now.
- The first post mistress was Mitsen Saunders helped by her niece Mildred Bartlett.
- Second was Mildred Bartlett with help from Clara Danner.
- Third was Clara Danner helped by Fay Teague.
- This month we recorded 39 members and guests at our September meeting. We had 54 visitors to the History Center throughout the month. The gift shop took in $163.75.
- Thanks to our History Center Volunteers; Lois Taylor, and Demetria Sapienza for helping get the newsletter into the mail, and to Cheri McNeill for her always thorough proofing of the newsletter. Thanks also to Pat Bolander, Demetria Sapienza and Sylvia Snook for covering the History Center desk so Rebecca could be off. Darlene and Leslie Bright have also spent a number of days DEEP CLEANING and laying down a good layer of insecticide in the exhibit cases.
- New Members: Welcome to new members Kelly and Shawn Kingry of Carolina Beach and Carol Thies, also of Carolina Beach.
- Donations: Thanks to Thomas Gray for his donation of the following original newspapers in honor of Chris Fonvielle.
- Harper’s Pictorial History of the Civil War by Alfred Guernsey and Henry Alden. Copyright 1866, Harper & Brothers.
- Harper’s Weekly NY: February 4, 1865
- Frank Leslie’s Illustrated Newspaper NY: November 4, 1865
- Color print. The Great Naval Expedition from: Harper’s Weekly no date
- The World December 24, 1864
- The World December 28, 1864
- New York Herald December 28, 1864
- New York Herald January 19, 1865
- New York Observer January 26, 1865
Thomas Gray has also brought us a number of promotional pamphlets including:
- “Official Guide of Wrightsville, Carolina, Wilmington, Kure and Fort Fisher Beaches: The Seashore Play Grounds of the South: 1932” Compiled and published by Seashore Directory Co.
- Welcome to Vacationland: Carolina Beach North Carolina Published by Carolina Beach Chamber of Commerce. No date.
- Meet Me at Carolina Beach, North Carolina: The Year Round Beach of the Carolinas Published by the Chamber of Commerce, Carolina Beach, North Carolina. No date
- Sunny Carolina Beach North Carolina Published by the Chamber of Commerce, Carolina Beach, North Carolina. No date (A.P. Peay is Mayor of CB, L.C. Kure is Mayor of KB)
Thanks also to Richard Faircloth for his donation of photocopies and transcription of three letters from Edom Smith and Josephus Smith from Fort Fisher (Zekes’s Island) February 1864 & November 1864.