In this Breakers Hotel ad from the Sunday Star News, June 13, 1948 edition, one can see that the building has been stuccoed and painted white giving it a whole new look. The ad’s photo shows the side of the Breakers that faced the street. It also shows a north wing and south wing with a recessed porch in between. The lobby and dining room faced the ocean on the other side along with the long porch running the building’s length. The original 50 bedrooms have been converted to 73 and the manager that year was George Earl Russ.
In late 1951, the Breakers was purchased by Earl Russ and John Crews. They spent $5,000 in repairs and new furnishings before a fire broke out in the southern wing apartment on January 10, 1952. The fire mainly affected the southern wing with the main part and northern wing unscathed.
Two years after the fire, Russ and Crews sold the hotel to Lawrence C. Kure and Glenn Tucker. They had bought the Wilmington Beach Corporation which included the remaining unsold land.
Tucker planned to market the remaining building lots and Kure planned to build a 1,000 foot pier in front of the Breakers to be named the Wilmington Beach Pier.
It was begun in December of 1953 and completed in time for the 1954 summer season. That was the pier’s only summer. On October 15, 1954, mighty Hurricane Hazel destroyed the pier and most of the hotel.
What remained was later torn down bringing an end to the Breakers Hotel.
On its footprint today is Sea Colony Condominiums, between the Golden Sands and Pelican Watch.
The pier ruins stayed on for many years and was nicknamed “Stub Pier” by locals. It was just south of Center Pier which also opened that summer of 1954, and suffered damage in the only Category 4 hurricane to hit our area in all of the Twentieth Century to present.