“Back to School”
From the Bill Reaves Files: Notes on Early Schools at Federal Point
1870 – Anthony A. Hawes offered his resignation as a member of the School Committee for Federal Point Township, which was accepted, and R. B. Freeman was appointed in his place. WILM.STAR. 12-7-1870.
September 4, 1875 – The Board of Trustees of Federal Point Township met and organized by electing T.M. Gardner, Esq., as chairman. The school committee for the township were (sic) duly qualified as was also the Constable, Balaam Wade, who gave a bond of $500 as a renewal of his former bond, he having been re- elected. The Clerk was granted further time in which to prepare his bond. WILM.WEEKLY STAR, 9-10- 1875
March 9, 1877 – The school house for white pupils was destroyed during a terrible storm. An application made by Stephen Keyes of Federal Point township for $50 from the general school fund to rebuild the schoolhouse in Federal Point Township was granted by the County Commissioners. WILM.STAR, 6-6-1877
April 21, 1877 – Charles M. Epps was the teacher in the public school for colored children in Federal Point Township. His records showed that he had 34 “scholars of African race,” 24 boys and 10 girls. The average attendance was 24. There was only one teacher.
January, 1878 – The Board of Education of New Hanover County ordered that an apportionment of two dollars be made from the school fund per capita to the public schools of the various districts. The apportionment for Federal Point-District No. 3 – 82 white children; amount $164; 84 colored children; amount, $168. WILM.STAR 1-16-1878.
October 17, 1905 – Prof. Washington Catlett, Supt. of county schools, and a number of interested persons held a conference and it was decided to establish a white school in Federal Point Township, it being shown that there were 14 white families and 38 white children of a school age within a radius of attendance. WILMINGTON STAR, 10-18-1905.
November 27, 1905 – The new school house on the boundary line between Federal point and Masonboro Townships opened. Miss Mary Moore of Burgaw, was to be the teacher assigned to that school. A good attendance was expected and those living in the vicinity of the school were greatly pleased at the action of the board of education in cooperating with them so readily. WILMINGTON MESSENGER, 11-25-1905.
October 13, 1908 – The colored school building at Carolina Beach was destroyed by fire. It was a frame structure situated about half a mile from the river pier. The fire originated in a defective flue. The destruction of the building was total; however, the pupils managed to save some of the desks and books. About 30 pupils were enrolled at the school. The building was valued at about $500 and was insured for $250. Temporary arrangements were made to hold school in the colored church at the beach situated near the location of the burned building. WILMINGTON STAR, 10-14-1908.
January 1, 1911 – The roll of honor of Oak Hill School in Federal Point Township, Miss Aleph Cason, teacher, for the month of December, 1910, was announced and was as follows: Mariam Newton, Annie Newton, Wesley Newton, Lottie Burnett, Elizabeth Burnett, George Biddle, Jessie Bonham, Lela Russ, Nellie Russ, Loyd Sanders, Kate Williams, Henry Williams and Sallie Williams. WILMINGTON STAR, 1-6-1911.
October 17, 1916 – Members of the Board of Education held a conference at Carolina Beach at which the subject of providing a school for the children in the lower part of the district was discussed. The removal of the school to a better location was also discussed. As there were only five children of school age in the lower part of the county, it was suggested that it might be possible to transfer them to the Carolina Beach school. Mr. J.J. Loughlin in behalf of the people of the community asked that a new building be erected, on the grounds that the building now in use is badly located and not suited to school purposes. WILM.STAR,10-16-1916
September 26, 1919 – For the second time within a year, the Carolina Beach school house was destroyed by fire. The last building burned was formerly used as a residence and was owned by the Wilmington Beach Corporation. This building was being furnished the county until a school building could be built. The cause of the fire was unknown.
The burning now leaves that section without any place for a school, and it is expected that the Board of Education will immediately take steps to provide them with school facilities. WILM.STAR.9-29-1916. WILM.DISPATCH, 9-29-1916.
March 31, 1925 – Two tracks of land in Federal Point Township, formerly occupied by white and colored schools and no longer in use to the board of education, were offered for sale. The first site, formerly the white school, contained three acres and is located on the bank of the Cape Fear River at Nancy Grissom’s corner. The other, used for a negro school, was a tract of one and a half acres on the Federal Point Road. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 3-31-1925.