Kure Memorial Lutheran Church, Part V
June 26, 1955, members of the Church Council are pictured in front of the cross in the new church: L-R Oscar Wren, Merritt Foushee, Jason Lentz, Rev. David Johnson, Bob Ford, Lawrence C. Kure, Bob Hooker, Fred Schenk and Bill Williford. (The photo was taken by Bill Robertson, son in law of Lawrence Kure and then owner of the Kure Pier). These men had not only planned and raised the funds for the new building, but were also literally the driving force behind the construction and must have felt a great sense of pride on that dedication Sunday.
The church already had a Luther League for the youth and they sponsored a Boy Scout Troop. They also had a weekday church school on Tuesday afternoons, a Women of the Church group with 34 members and basketball teams for boys and girls that played the other church teams on the island. Rev. David Johnson left in 1956 and was replaced by Rev. William Johnson, Jr. who served until 1957. Rev. Corley Lineberger came next serving from 1957 till 1960.
In the 60’s, Kure Lutheran started a kindergarten that met weekday mornings during the public school year. In 1962, they built a new Fellowship Hall and air conditioned the sanctuary. There was a fire in the nave in 1964 that burned the back set of arches and part of the roof that had to be repaired. Two years later they remodeled and air conditioned the parsonage. Pastors during the 60’s were Rev. Donald Loadholdt, 1961-62 and Rev. Ronald Weinelt, 1962-1970.
Next month: Kure Memorial Lutheran Church, Part VI