By Elaine Henson
Boardwalk, Part V
After WW II, life on the Boardwalk got back to normal. Beachgoers were walking the wooden boards enjoying the arcades, bingo parlors, miniature golf, amusements and rides along with salt water taffy, snow balls, donuts and great short order food. There were still soldiers, most from nearby Camp Lejeune, who came for some rest and recreation. For soldiers that might have a little too much R & R, there was the steady presence of Military Police on the boardwalk that continued for many years.
Dancing was still an important part of boardwalk life with many establishments having juke boxes providing music to dance by. There was also the Ocean Plaza, built in 1946, with a ballroom on the second floor to replace the pavilion and its dance floor that burned in 1940.
Hurricanes always brought damage that had to be repaired time and time again. Hazel was the worst being the only Category Four hurricane to hit our area in all of the 20th Century to the present day. It destroyed over 300 homes at Carolina Beach along with most of the boardwalk businesses. But changes were coming.
The 1960s and 70s brought beach erosion concerns. They were addressed with berms of sand planted with sea oats that made the beach wider. As a result you couldn’t see the ocean from the boardwalk which was now made of concrete. Beach goers had to walk on ramps over the berm to get to the sand and surf. Some of the boardwalk charm was gone.
In 1972, Mayor Richard Kepley proposed tearing down the boardwalk and replacing it with a three story complex. There would be parking on the bottom, an entertainment mall on the second floor with a hotel on the top. The proposal was not well received by boardwalk owners and town officials and soon faded away.
But, in 1977, another proposal became reality. Seashore Amusement Park announced that they would reopen in 1978 on Lake Park Boulevard as Jubilee Park leaving the boardwalk with no rides.
Next month Boardwalk, Part VI