By Elaine Henson
Kure Memorial Lutheran Church Part VI
Kure Memorial continued to grow during the 1970s, 80s and into the 90s.
Pastors during those years were: Rev. John B. Barringer 1970-1973; Rev. Everette E. Horne 1974-1975 and Rev. Jacob H. Young 1975-1990.
A highlight of the 70s was the church’s Twenty-Fifth Anniversary celebrated in August, 1976. Rev. Jacob Young suggested that they invite Rev. David F. Johnson to deliver the sermon since he was the first full time pastor. Also invited was Dr. F. L. Conrad, who was still president of the Synod and also conducted the first service in the 1955 building. The Lutheran Church Women provided lunch in the Fellowship Hall after the service.
The archive does not include any photos from the Twenty Fifth Anniversary.. If anyone has photos, please contact FPHPS.
Pastors from 1952 – 1990
In the years before the Kure Beach Community Building was built, several organizations utilized the church’s Fellowship Hall. The Town of Kure Beach used it along with the Kure Beach Fire Department and the Carolina Beach Recreation Department also used it for exercise classes. Later it was used by AA and Girl Scouts. Kure Lutheran was truly an integral part of the Federal Point beach communities.
Next month: Kure Memorial Lutheran Church, Part VII