By Elaine Henson
Last month we featured the 1942 Municipal Building or Town Hall on Canal Drive. It included offices for the town staff, police and fire departments plus a large auditorium, jails and other spaces.
A new garage for the fire trucks was attached next to it as seen in this 1985 photo.
Compare it with the vintage post card from the 1940s.
The gym got lots of use with church league basketball and other activities for youth and adults until flooding over the years rendered the building unusable. It was torn down in April of 1999.
Below is an image from the Island Gazette showing the demolition which was halted due to asbestos in the floor tiles used in the second floor addition.