From the President: February, 2015

by Elaine Henson

Elaine Henson

Elaine Henson

This card of the Confederate Monument at Fort Fisher is from a photo from the late Hugh Morton. He captured it against the backdrop of the ocean and the blue Carolina sky.

The monument was erected by the United Daughters of the Confederacy in memory of the brave soldiers and their battles defending the fort from 1861-1865.

The granite block in the foreground is inscribed “Our Unknown Confederate Soldier”

Battle Acre MonumentThe monument was dedicated on June 2, 1932 with ceremonies that included NC Governor O. Max Gardner, UDC President Mrs. Glenn Long and four veterans from the war.

The original dedication date of May 18th was moved to June 2nd to coincide with the completion and dedication of the Inland Waterway (now called the Intracoastal Waterway) at the urging of Louis T. Moore and the Wilmington Chamber of Commerce.

It was reported that there was also a number of cows in attendance who mooed during the ceremony reminding us that the land around the fort was still a rural area in 1932.