Monthly Meeting Report – October, 2012

The Swing Bridge at Snow’s Cut 1931-1962

The Swing Bridge at Snow’s Cut 1931-1962

Monthly Meeting – October, 2012

Elaine Henson, related the history of the Inland Waterway, especially the section from Beaufort, NC to the mouth of the Cape Fear River. This covered 93 miles and was 90 feet wide to a depth of 12 feet. A very popular Major Snow was sent to Wilmington in 1926 to oversee this cut which made us an island. A wooden highway bridge over the cut was built in 1930 to be replaced by a more permanent one in 1944. Local residents had to pay for this bridge. The total project cost $3 million and was completed in 3 1/2 years.

For the Record:
The summary as described above( in last month’s newsletter) of Elaine’s program in October was a bit confused. It should have read: “Major Snow was sent to Wilmington in 1926 to oversee the 93 miles of inland waterway from Beaufort to the Cape Fear River, part of which was the land cut that made Federal Point an island.

The temporary wooden bridge over Snow’s Cut was opened in March, 1930 and replaced with a steel swing bridge in September of 1931. The residents did not pay for it. (The Federal government required the Tidewater Power Company and the Wrightsville Causeway company to pay for the 1931 Wrightsville Beach draw bridge because they operated a railroad over the inland waterway).

In 1944 the Department of Interior Board of Geographic Names officially named the cut Snow’s Cut. Locals had called it that since it was made.”

Later, at the November, 2013 Monthly Meeting, more information on the Inland Waterway and Snow’s Cut Bridge was presented by Elaine Henson.