Structures that are more than fifty years old are eligible for a plaque. To apply for your property see the Guidelines and Application link at the end.
[Tap/Click on any image.]
1001 Carolina Beach Ave. North, Carolina Beach
The house was probably built and occupied in 1935 by Walter H. Blair who was mayor of Wilmington for 5 terms 1926-1937. He was the first town clerk of Carolina Beach and also served Postmaster at Carolina Beach for a time.
The property was the home of a series of Blair family members until 1954 when it was sold to A.C. Green, Sr. and his wife Aileen. In July 1974 it was sold to Gladys and Edward Craft of Wrightsville Beach. In February 1973 Jocelyn and Harry Lockamy purchased the property.
The Lot was purchased (along with nine other lots) 1926 by John Henry Burnett. Ownership was from the right-of-way on Carolina Beach Avenue North to the high-water mark of the Atlantic Ocean.
The house was built in 1936. It was rebuilt in 1955 after Hurricane Hazel. Heating and air conditioning were added in 1966. The porch and roof were remodeled in 1987. There was an alteration of windows in 1997.
Carolina Beach Community Church (Now: New Hope Memorial Baptist Church)
Was at: 200 S. Lake Park Blvd. (Now at corner of Cape Fear Blvd. and 4th St.)
Called by many the “Mother Church” of Carolina Beach, Carolina Beach Community Church began in the private vacation home of Mrs. S. C. Ogburn of Winston-Salem, NC around 1930. One of the few residents of Carolina Beach, Mrs. S. C. Ogburn, described as a good woman, began opening her house on Sundays for Sunday school. First, friends and relatives attended Sunday school, and eventually, others of various denominations came together creating a need to expand. This cause interested people to immediately join her in a cooperative effort to build a building for a Community Sunday school in that no one denomination was sufficiently strong enough to do this alone.
Although the exact date was not recorded, a lot was acquired on 4th and Cape Fear Boulevard and a shelter was erected. Early growth here in Sunday school work was gradual, but consistent. The structure was enlarged several times within the next few years as the Town’s growing population forced it. By 1937 there was a feeling that a larger, more comprehensive, and adequate church program for the community was needed.
Around 1940 a church was built with ministers from many denominations holding services. With such a great influx of people at the onset of World War II, a number of various denominations splintered off to form their own church to accommodate them.
The Carolina Beach Community Church was formally organized as a Baptist Church in 1942. The church has continued to operate through the years and changed the name to Hope Memorial Church on September 5, 1990.
Carolina Beach Drug Store
140 Harper Ave., Carolina Beach (SE corner of N. Lake Park and Harper)
“Carolina Beach Drug Store was the central focal point in the community for citizens as well as tourists, with a soda fountain and snack bar to accompany the pharmacy and a rooming house upstairs. Informal meetings over a cup of coffee or sandwich allowed citizens to catch up on the news or air their opinions.
The bus stopped there, you could pay your light bill, and even receive advice from the resident pharmacist.” “…The two-story stucco building, with a distinctive, castle like parapet around its roof, was much more than a drug store…for years it doubled as Carolina Beach’s bus station.
During World War II, a bus stopped daily to ferry local workers to the shipyard in Wilmington…Besides soft drinks, the drug store boasted a “complete and modern restaurant” with seafood and other entrees according to a 1948 Star-News advertisement. Star News Article 2/24/04
Carolina Beach Elementary School
400 S. 4th St., Carolina Beach
The Carolina Beach School is a one story Spanish style, wood frame, brick veneer structure, originally constructed in 1938, containing four (4) classrooms and an auditorium, with additions in 1943, 1953, 1975, 1987, and 1989 to add more classrooms, a cafetorium, 1 office, media center, and covered canopy.
The building has a hip roof with asphalt shingles, and has a large playground area to the rear of the building. Double-loaded corridor on the interior and the cafetorium has a stage.
The school is located in a neighborhood setting.
Colonel Burnett House
7413 Carolina Beach Rd., Wilmington
The land was bought in April 1893 from the Southerland family by Thomas Burnett. At his death in 1935, the land was divided among his heirs.
In 1939 Colonel Charles Henry Burnett built the current structure as a family home. It remained in the family until 1978.
Immaculate Conception Chapel
806 St. Joseph St., Caroline Beach
The Immaculate Conception Chapel is owned by Michael and Kathie Winseck. The building, erected circa 1939, is significant for its social history as well as the structure.
Marion L. Winner of Carolina Beach donated the property to Bishop Eugene J. McGuinness in 1938 to build a chapel. The Winner family was the first Catholics to make their permanent residence in Carolina Beach.
The building still standing was a rectory and four room dwelling. Today the building was the Checkered Church gift shop until 2020.
Grover Lewis, a masonry construction worker, together with his family, moved to Carolina Beach from High Point, North Carolina in March, 1941. Mr. Lewis went to work for the North Carolina Shipbuilding Company and moved his family into the Marianette Cottage on Carolina Beach Avenue, North. When the lot next door was filled in by a storm in the fall of 1944, the Lewis’s decided to purchase it. Mr. Lewis immediately began designing the Joy Lee Apartment Building. Long shipyard hours made it necessary for Mr. Lewis to hire William Bordeaux to build the basic concrete block structure.
After purchasing a hand operated cement block press, the Lewis family turned out two blocks at a time, approximately fifty per evening. Named the Joy Lee Apartments after Mr. Lewis’s daughter, the completed duplex was rented to vacationers. Each apartment consisted of a living room, a dining room, a kitchen with an ice box, 2 bedrooms, and a central hall. Considered luxury units at the time, they came equipped with private porches and private baths with hot and cold running water.
After the war, Mr. Lewis returned to masonry construction work. Mrs. Lewis ran a large rooming house as well as the Joy Lee Apartment Complex. Due to popularity of the Apartments, the Annex was constructed in 1948.
The Joy Lee Apartment building and Annex are a unique combination of several popular architectural styles, including Mission Style, Art Deco, Art Moderne, as well as Prairie Style. Over the years the family has modified the Apartment Building several times, including a major renovation in 1976 when spiral cement stairs to the upper sundeck, and an in-ground pool were added.
301 Atlantic Ave., Kure Beach
The Kure Cottage, located at 301 Atlantic Street, Kure Beach, is owned by Mr. Terrell Webster. The building circa 1916, is significant for the social history of its owners as well as the structure.
The cottage was built by Lawrence C. Kure and was one of the first cottages to be built in the Kure Beach area. Mr. Kure also built the first fishing pier in Kure Beach. Lawrence Kure was the founder of Kure Beach.
This bungalow style residence was built by A. W. Pate, president of the New Hanover Transit Company.
In addition to being president of the New Hanover Transit Company, Mr. Alexander W. Pate was also in the hotel business. He owned a hotel in Florence, SC, two in Augusta, Georgia, and decided to build one in Carolina Beach – the Greystone Inn.
A. W. Pate and his wife, Eleanor, owned the property from June 1916 until November 6, 1925.
208 S. 4th St., Carolina Beach
Cinderblock with stucco, single family dwelling built in 1945.
Similar to other structures built in this period, though very few remain.
McCabe – Lancaster Cottage
815 Carolina Beach Ave. N.
On June 20, 1935, Vista and Harry Lee McCabe purchased lots 8 and 18 in block 14 of Federal Point Township. According to tax records, they built a home on lot 8 in 1940. The next year they sold the property to William and Estelle Upchurch.
Over the next 14 years, the property changed hands seven times. Luke and Jessie Lancaster bought it on April 2, 1955, and kept the property until their deaths in 1991 and 1992. In January of 2003, the Lancaster heirs sold the property to Charles and Elaine Henson.
The Ocean Plaza
Was at 200 Carolina Beach Avenue N., Carolina Beach. (Now Hampton Inn & Suites Oceanfront)
The Ocean Plaza building, erected circa 1946, is significant for its Art Moderne style and dominant location in the center of the Carolina Beach Business District. Two stories covered approximately 5,000 square feet with a third story covering approximately 1,000 square feet. One front corner was rounded. It was constructed with stucco over a double course of cement block.
Located at the north end of the Carolina Beach boardwalk, it served as an entertainment center for people living in the area, as well as tourists who came to the beach in the 1940’s. Big bands played in the building when that form of entertainment was popular. Celebrities such as Bill Grassick, Bo Diddly, Chubby Checker and others played there. Known to the community as the birth place of the Shag dance and Beach Music.
212 Atlanta Ave., Carolina Beach
In the 1920s, when Claude Pfaff was working for the Realty Bond Real Estate Company, the firm often sent its salesmen on vacation to Carolina Beach so that they would come back and tell their customers how wonderful the beach was – and, hopefully, sell more lots at Carolina Beach.
In the early 1930s, Claude built a cottage near Carolina Beach Lake as a birthday present for Atha, who named it “The Lullaby” for the choruses of frogs that sang around it at night.
Often during WWII, the Pfaff family ended up sharing the small cottage with a family of strangers. Because of the shortage of housing in the Wilmington area, property owners were required to rent out their houses in order to provide the families of the enlisted men due to ship out soon a week at the beach before they were separated. Only office space was exempt, so Atha designated one room an office.
405 N. Carolina Beach Ave.
The cottage was built in 1939 by a local contractor of Wilmington, Mr. Hines (he also built a dining room table that remains in the cottage today.) It was built for Grover Cleveland Price and his wife Tessie Sutton Price for recreational purposes for fishing and family gatherings. Materials were shipped in by rail; the structure is totally wooden.
When the cottage was built, all the area was marshland. During the Civil War, there was a confederate gun battery, the Half Moon Battery, across the canal. During the dredging of the canal, lots of cannon balls were unearthed.
During World War II, the cottage was rented for a couple of years by Hazel King who fed and housed workers from the shipyard in Wilmington. There were 23,000 shipyard workers, so they had to stay where they could. The apartment slept three shifts of ship builders at eight hour intervals. Therefore there was always someone sleeping there sharing the cost. The children of the house spent their time looking for German spies on the beach. There was a blackout with black shades on the windows because of German U-boats offshore.
After the war and the death of her husband Tessie ran the Arlington Inn (named after the name of the street she lived on in Rocky Mount, NC as a rooming house for income to raise her family.
The cottage has weathered all hurricanes including Hazel, which after Hazel the asbestos shingles were overlaid on top of the wood. Hurricane Diana did some damage that required repairs as well as Fran, but structurally it survived with roof repairs, porch and awning repairs. Hurricane Fran came over the berm and up three feet inside the apartment.
500 Cape Fear Blvd. Carolina Beach
Monty A. Sly built this house for his family in 1938. Monty, his wife and his two daughters lived in the downstairs area of the house and he rented out the upstairs rooms during World War II to young wives whose husbands were in the service overseas. Said to be the first brick house on Carolina Beach, the Dutch colonial style has a gambrel roof with flaring eaves.
At the death of Mr. Sly’s wife, Edith, he sold the house to his daughter Lois Walton. Mr. Sly lived in the upstairs until his death in 1957. It remained the home of Lois Walton until her death in 2013.
(Updated on 11/14/2020)