Oral History – Ray Rothrock – Part 6: ‘Downtown Kure Beach’

by Ann Hertzler

There was also a Mrs. Davis‟ Restaurant in Kure Beach on U.S. 421, now S. Ft. Fisher Boulevard Avenue. It was across from the Lutheran Retreat. The building is no longer standing and is now an empty lot. That building was one of the old Army Barracks moved from Ft. Fisher Army Base. Her restaurant was in the front part and she lived in the back part of it. Mrs. Davis sold predominately local, fresh caught seafood and was only open for the evening meal. Her calling card was her Hush Puppies. She sold more Hush Puppies and Hush Puppy Mix than she probably did food. People would have fish fries at home and have someone go to Mrs. Davis restaurant to pick up Hush Puppies or get her Hush Puppy Mix, just add water (all the other secret ingredients were in the bag) and cook her Hush Puppies to enjoy with their fresh caught fish, oyster roast, or clam bake.

Canoutas Restaurant was at the southeast corner of the main intersection at Kure Beach. That corner is now Jack Mackerel‟s parking. Andy’s Dad, George, ran the restaurant and his wife, Lola had a Bingo Parlor and Beachwear Shop on the other side of it, toward the oceanfront. They later opened a Pool Hall in a building just south of the restaurant and they lived upstairs. Ray and friends enjoyed playing pool, especially in the winter time when it was too cold to be outside. Ray went to school with Andy, who was a couple of years older. Andy was Ray‟s Platoon Leader in Army ROTC in the 10th grade and Company Commander in the 11th grade at New Hanover High School.

The Kure Beach Post Office was next door to that. Just past the Post Office was Smitty‟s. Seems like Smitty put a little building in that was a tackle shop at one time and now is where Freddie‟s is located. Behind that building is where the Kure Beach Dance Hall was and everybody learned the jitter-bug and Shag while the Juke Box was blaring and blasting. Closer to the ocean was a restaurant and on the Oceanside of the crossover walkway, a large building sat on the oceanfront. The bottom floor was George Stathis Restaurant and rooms upstairs for rent. Hurricane Hazel just about took it away and it was moved over to the vacant land that is now where Kure Beach is building the oceanfront park.

In 1956, Ray’s Mother and Smitty’s brother (Ronald Smith) left Smitty’s and leased the building that had been moved from the oceanfront which was located between what is now Old Pier Restaurant and the ocean. They named it the R & S Restaurant (Rothrock and Smith). Ray’s mother was the cook and everything she cooked was delicious. She ran it until the early 60’s. It was a lot like Mr. & Mrs. Lewis Restaurant, opening at 4:30 in the morning, serving breakfast to the fishermen, specials for lunch and lots of different fresh, local caught seafood for dinner.

Kure_Beach_Bud_Joe In the early 50‟s, Mr. Fisher was the Chief of Police. Ray believes they had one other police officer, civilian clothes and only called upon when needed. Mr. Christmas was the Constable and back then with not so much crime, no more police were needed. Mr. Fisher was always walking around the main street of downtown Kure Beach, between where the traffic signal is now and the fishing pier. His black, private car with a red light set up with a siren was always parked just up from Bud and Joe’s [picture]. There was a sign, “Reserved for Chief of Police.” Ray does not remember Mr. Fisher having a radio to talk with Carolina Beach, the County nor the State. Later they did get a radio where he could talk to Carolina Beach Police and Emergency Ambulance Services.

Ray was a Kure Beach Volunteer Fireman when he was 16. On October 15, 1954, being young and perhaps foolish, when Hurricane Hazel made landfall, he and the other Volunteer Firemen watched all the piers and most oceanfront buildings destroyed or severely damaged. His family’s oceanfront apartment was one of those buildings that were severely damaged. It was rebuilt and ready for the tourist in the summer of 1955. They had a few Fire Hydrants, but not nearly enough, so the small water truck would have to be filled or run lots of hoses when they had a fire. Didn’t know about CPR but they did obtain a Breathing Machine.

On July 4th, 1955 Ray was a Mate on the boat Lewis Davis had bought. They headed out from The Basin Marina to bottom fish when, about 3 or 4 miles off the beach, a fisherman had an apparent heart attack. Thank goodness the ocean was flat, no wind, no waves and Lewis Davis beached the boat right next to Kure Beach Fishing Pier. They had no radio, no cell phone, no nothing. Ray was on the bow when the boat hit land, he was off and running to Canatouas’ Restaurant to get Andy, the lifeguard, and the keys to the Town Hall where the Breathing Machine was kept.

The Town Hall was the back of the existing ABC Store which is now the building where Bowman‟s Realty is. Andy came without the keys, so he rammed his fist through the glass to unlock the door and get the oxygen machine. In the meantime, the Rescue Squad from Carolina Beach came and took the man to the hospital. Thank goodness the fisherman recovered and continued to come to Kure Beach to fish, but not going out on a boat. They pushed the boat off the beach, turned it around and went deep-sea fishing as planned. In the summertime the only medical was an EMS, 2 Technicians stationed right behind Britt‟s, and an ambulance at Carolina Beach.

v18NO7 July FINAL PDF-003Ray and five others from Kure Beach and the Monkey Junction area went to the Navy Recruiter, then located in the Wilmington Post Office, to join the Navy on August 11, 1955. They had completed all their applications and that was the day they were scheduled to be processed.

Ray remembers the Navy Recruiter asking them, ‘What are you guys doing here today, don’t you know a Hurricane is coming?” One of them answered, “that’s the reason we want to get off the Island!” Ray was the youngest and said, he did not say that. All the others were older and subject to be drafted, so they were ready to go.

Little did Ray or the others know that the Hurricane Connie (August 12, 1955) would destroy most of the beach, Connie and Diane (August 17, 1955) took all of the oceanfront, two-story, four-apartment building Ray’s Mom and Dad had. It also did lots of wind damage to the cottages they had. They did not rebuild the oceanfront, because insurance did not cover the damages from the ocean. They sold the property in the late 60’s and that is where Admiral Quarter’s smaller building now stands.

Ray remembers Kure Beach being incorporated in 1947. Mr. Lawrence Kure was the first Mayor. Ray’s Dad ran for Mayor once but Ray does not recall who he ran against. Back then there may have been a big total of 175 – 185 voters.

Oral History – Ray Rothrock – Part 5: ‘Lewis Store’

by Ann Hertzler

Ray ate at home and at Andy Canouta’s father’s restaurant on the southeast corner where the parking lot for Jack Mackerel’s is – burgers, hotdogs, ham sandwiches or dinners with vegetables and they always had delicious homemade pies and cakes.

Ed and Gertie Lewis had a grocery store across the street on the southwest corner of the main intersection in Kure Beach, where the convenience store is now located. They had two gas pumps out front, regular and high test. They had a grocery store with a meat market and on the north end of the building they had a restaurant with about a dozen bar stools and 3 or 4 booths that each seated 4 to 6 customers. They opened at 5 am, cooked three meals a day and closed between 9 and 10, depending on the customers. The picture (left) shows Mrs. Lewis and her son in front of the store with kerosene pumps in the back on the left.

Mr. and Mrs. Lewis built the little building on the north side of the store and restaurant and leased it to Mr. Bob and Mrs. Margaret Ford to operate a Bait and Tackle Shop. Today it is where the Ice Cream Store is operated.

Ray worked for Mr. and Mrs. Lewis for 50 cents an hour, but he could eat and drink all he wanted while working. Gaining weight at that young age was not a problem as Ray was only 5‟ 10” tall and weighed only 129 pounds when he went into the Navy at the age of 17 years and two weeks in August 1955. Ray did everything there was to do at the store and restaurant – pump gas – stock groceries – run the cash register – cut different cuts of meats – and grind up beef for hamburger meat. He learned a lot from Mr. and Mrs. Lewis and continues to talk about it today, being thankful for their training. Mr. Lewis taught him how to cut up a whole side of beef or pork, how to cook and not to hit his hot grill with a Spatula unless you wanted a swift pop behind the back of your head. Ray said, “I was a very fast learner from Mr. Lewis”, I never got popped!
Back then they did not have frozen French fries. They peeled as many as a hundred pounds of potatoes a day, sliced ’em up, and cut them for French Fries or mashed potatoes. No hash browns, but all the regular, not quick cook, grits you wanted. Cole slaw, tater salad were all made from “scratch;” no ready-made deliveries from food service trucks.

Ray went to work at 4:30 am in order to have the grits ready to open at 5 in the morning for a good breakfast crowd. Fishermen were always up before daylight going out on the boats, on the piers, or surf fishing. Back then they believed you had to get an early start to have the best catch of fish! After breakfast, they would prepare the lunch menu, two or three different meats with home cooked vegetables. Dinner was pretty much a-la-carte, mostly shrimp and other seafood. Fresh, locally caught shrimp were peeled, deveined and washed before covering them lightly with Mr. Ed‟s secret cornmeal and whatever else he put in it. He also had his secret Hush Puppy recipe and they would cook hundred‟s of them every day.

v18NO6 June FINAL PDF version-004The fishermen fished everywhere back then as they do today – on the boats, off the surf and all the piers – Ft. Fisher Pier – Kure Beach Pier – Center Pier – and the two piers at Carolina Beach. They also walked or drove to the North End to fish and some would take a boat over to Masonboro Island to fish. The picture (right) shows a tourist looking at the 40+ lb. Red Drum caught by Sleepy Ferguson on Bald Head Island. Sleepy worked for Ray’s Dad in the furniture business refinishing furniture. It is hanging in front of Smitty’s Restaurant in Kure Beach.”

During the fall and winter, Ray’s Dad would do commercial fishing, netting Popeye Mullet up and down the beach and off Bald Head Island. One time they had a very, very big catch over at Bald Head Island. They brought them back in several boat loads and filled two dump trucks full of Popeye Mullet at The Basin Marina. They took them to the market in Wilmington. Ray recalls his Dad and DP being very, very upset when they were paid 2 cents a pound for the small ones, 4 cents a pound for the medium and a big 6 cents a pound for the large ones, which were about a foot and a half long. They had that nice big catch and learned when the market is flooded, the price goes down.

There was more than one Fish Market downtown Wilmington off the foot of Market to the south. These markets would sell a lot of the local catches to locals. These markets also shipped seafood out of Wilmington via boats, trucks, and train. A lot of folks here and up state ate salted Popeye Mullet, especially for a fish and eggs breakfast. The bigger female Popeye Mullet provided a large market for fish roe that lots of folks coated with cornmeal and fried. Back then J. H. Lea and Sons had a very large fish market in Hampstead, but it was too far away to truck the catches from lower New Hanover County to be sold. J.H. Lea and Sons had lots of large trucks and provided many markets and restaurants up and down the east coast, fresh caught seafood.

Oral History – Ray Rothrock – Part 4: ‘Charter Fishing – Marina’

by Ann Hertzler

In about 1947, soon after Ray’s Dad built the 3 cottages, his Dad got into the Charter Fishing Business along with a Marina. Ray’s Dad and Mr. D.P. Lilly became very good friends and partners. They obtained a 99 year lease from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for the property at the very end of U. S. 421 to build the first marina and boat ramp at Ft. Fisher.

They got a black gentleman from Seabreeze to bring his horse and drag pan to start the digging. A drag pan is like a very large shovel (scoop) with two handles. The very strong operator would lift the handles as the horse pulled it, scooped it full of soil, then push down on the handle when the scoop was full, having the horse pull it to the area to be dumped. There, the strong man would lift the handles, flipping the pan over to dump the soil.

When the water level was reached, they had a Drag-Line to come in and continue digging to get the marina deep enough for the boats that would be using it. Once the boat ramp and docks were complete, they had the drag-line remove the berm left between the marina and the Basin.

To get to New Inlet, Corncake Inlet, or the Cape Fear River, you had to go toward Zeke’s Island, where they had broken the rock wall apart. They had built the rock wall from the end of U.S.421 to Zeke’s Island and then on over toward Bald Head Island between 1875 and 1881 to reduce the flow of water through New Inlet that caused severe shoaling in the Cape Fear River. read more

Oral History – Ray Rothrock – Part 3: ‘Fort Fisher’

by Ann Hertzler

The buildings at Ft. Fisher Army Base were not originally for families. It was an Army Base with barracks, a few office buildings and a very large Mess Hall. The buildings were pre-fabricated somewhere else, the 8 by 8 foot sections brought in by trucks and put together. Even the roof was in sections; they just had to put the tar paper and shingles on to complete the installation. After the War, the base closed.

Families bought the buildings and housing and had them moved all over the beaches, mostly on Kure Beach, then Hanby and Wilmington Beach. From 3 blocks south of the traffic light in Kure Beach, today you can see the buildings still standing that were moved from the Ft. Fisher Army Base. Some were primary homes and many were utilized as second homes or beach homes. They were inexpensive to buy and did not cost very much to move.

The airstrip is the section right past the Civil War Museum where it parallels the highway. Just before you turn into the Ft. Fisher Aquarium, you can see where the airstrip was. Ray remembers the Army being there but does not recall seeing any military airplanes. After the base closed, Punky Kure and others would use the short airstrip for their airplanes to spot Menhaden fish for the boats netting them along the coast.

The Ft. Fisher Army Base began where the concrete columns are today and went to the end of U.S. 421, just past where the Ft. Fisher/Southport Ferry is today. His Dad and fishing partner, D.P. Lilly eventually built the boat ramp and docks at the end of the road. Going down U.S. 421, on the left side or ocean side were several bunkers where the Army stored their ammunition. One of the bunkers was where the Hermit claimed his home to be. Ray went into the Navy in 1955 which was before the Hermit came to KB.

read more

Oral History – Ray Rothrock – Part 2: ‘Kure Beach Rentals’

by Ann Hertzler

Because Ray’s Dad quit the Shipyard when WW II was at its peak, he was called to be examined for the Army. He was 33 years old and had seven children. Ray very well remembers that day his Dad got on the Cattle-Car in Kure Beach to go to Ft. Bragg. His Mother and all the children were standing with his Dad, all crying because they thought they may never see their Dad again. He got back from Ft. Bragg about 2 a.m. the next morning, having walked and hitch-hiked back to Kure Beach after failing the physical.

Ray’s Dad was a workaholic. When he left the shipyard, he went into the reupholstering and refinishing business. After the War Ray’s Dad bought half the Army Mess Hall at Ft. Fisher, a huge building. They took it apart, moved it to Monkey Junction area, and put it back together for the back end of his furniture business. It was across the highway from the Army Surplus Store and sat right where Sanders Road is now.

Ray’s Grandfather and Grandmother on his Mother’s side of the family had built the building which is now the Army Surplus Store and also lived in that building where his Grandfather refinished furniture. With this furniture business on Carolina Beach, his Dad and Mom had a total of 4 business locations, with the others being in Wilmington, all on Castle Street. Ray’s Mother was the seamstress, doing all the sewing for the furniture to be reupholstered in addition to making drapes and slipcovers.

His Dad, Ray, and his older brother Corkey looked after the cottages, staying at the beach all the time. His Mother and other brothers and sisters would come down and spend some time. Ray’s Dad bought an Army Surplus Jeep to drive around the beach which the children really enjoyed. There was no Buffer Zone while Ray was growing up, so the woods all the way to the Cape Fear River was a great place to play and hunt. Sunny Point wasn’t commissioned until sometime in ’55 or ’56.

read more

Oral History – Ray Rothrock – Part 1: ‘Kure Beach’

by Ann Hertzer

Ray Rothrock

Ray Rothrock

Ray Phillip Rothrock was born in Thomasville, North Carolina, July 26, 1938. His parents were Henry T. and Mattie (Billie) Rothrock. World War II was at the peak in 1943 when his Dad had to either get a government job or be drafted. So he left Thomasville Chair Company, moved to Kure Beach and went to work at the Wilmington Shipyard as a welder. Ray was 5 years old. His parents had 6 children and were expecting a 7th one. Of the 7, Ray was right in the middle. Kure Beach probably had more than 400 year-round residents.

The Rothrock family first lived on S. 3rd Street in one of the little cottages that still stands behind Moran’s Motel (118 Ft. Fisher Blvd. S. on the right). They lived in the small cottage closest to Moran’s Motel. The cottage had only two very small bedrooms, a little kitchen and a sitting room. The very small front porch is now closed in. Mom, Dad and seven children lived in this tiny cottage for a year before moving South of Monkey Junction.

His Mom and Dad bought the property from Sanders Road down to the south entrance to where Harris Teeter is now located. It had three small houses on it, but certainly larger than the very small cottage at Kure Beach. Back then they did not have running water, but a hand operated pump close to the house and an Out House way back in the back yard. They raised chickens and hogs and had a small backyard garden. read more

Oral History – Dub and Hazel Heglar – Part 4: ‘Police – Fire Department – Town Hall’

by Ann Hertzer

Dub was the only man that did every job in Kure Beach except the office work. Dub worked for a construction company until a replacement was needed at Kure Beach. When Dub first went to work, there were 2 others –Ed Smith and a man named Fisher who had been a policeman. One day a week trash was collected on a flat bed truck from residents and the few businesses that were here. Summertime pickup was 4 or 5 times a week for restaurants who paid extra. All trash went to the private trash landfill near the end of H St.. They kept that flatbed truck until the latter part of the ’60s when they hauled trash to the landfill on the other side of Wilmington.

Dub joined the fire department to help fight fires when he first went to work for the town. They already had the fire truck – old, but it was a fire truck. A lieutenant from the Wilmington fire department came about every year to hold up-date classes on how to fight fires and how to take care of the equipment. They still do that. The fire department was in the community building on third street – the kitchen was the town hall; the big area was the fire department where the truck was housed, and the police department was behind it all.

After a while KB got 2 trucks. If a fire was happening, they’d blow the siren and use telephones. They didn‟t have radios. Most of the volunteers worked or lived on the beach – a lot of them worked and couldn’t come. They wanted as many as they could get that lived at Kure Beach to back it up.

Dub has been chief of police in Kure Beach 5 times! All the town was required to do was have a Chief of Police- no training required. Dub’s longest stint was 6 months. Every time a policeman quit or was fired, they’d swear Dub in until one was hired. The only thing furnished Dub was the little police station back of the fire truck in the Community Building. For a serious crime Dub would have called the County Sheriff’s Department for qualified people.
read more

Oral History – Dub and Hazel Heglar – Part 3: ‘Ocean View Restaurant’

by Ann Hertzer

Dub and Hazel Heglar

Dub and Hazel Heglar

Hazel Heglar owned and ran the Ocean View Restaurant, a favorite Kure Beach restaurant from 1979 to 1989. It’s the old Pier House in 2010. Heglars didn’t own the building. The restaurant was opened in the summer. Business slowed down after Labor Day so was closed Thanksgiving through March. Local families did not eat out often. It was mostly tourists and fishermen. Hazel was a very good cook.

The menu had sandwiches – hamburger, hot dogs, and French fries – and home cooked meals such as fish, shrimp, steak, and fried chicken. Everybody wanted chicken. Hushpuppies were served with every meal. Beverages were mostly sweet tea and coffee. Banana and vanilla pudding were popular desserts. Vegetables were her most important item – all kinds – green beans, peas, blackeye peas, creamed potatoes, corn, squash, okra, collards, mustard and turnip greens.

Hazel served breakfast at the Ocean View Restaurant at 7:00 a.m. read more

Oral History – Dub and Hazel Heglar – Part 2: ‘Kure Beach Public Works’

by Ann Hertzer

Dub Heglar was Superintendent of Public Works for Kure Beach from 1961 to 1986 in charge of water, sewer, streets, and sanitation (trash). The town switched from septic systems to the sewer system when Kure Beach incorporated. They had permission to pump raw sewerage to the river. Henicker Ditch drained all of Wilmington Beach and the overflow from the Carolina Beach Lake. EPA stopped that.

Kure_Beach_WatertowerDub put in water and sewer lines as Kure Beach added on. A lagoon treatment plant was built right after Dub went to work for the town about ’64 or ’65. Kure Beach still has one down there. Everything from Kure Beach Village and Hanby goes into that modern one and is much cheaper.

Ft. Fisher Blvd., Atlantic Ave, 3rd Street, 4th Street, 5th Street, over to 7th had water and sewer put in about 1953. These 3 and 4-inch foot pieces of old terra cotta pipe are the lines that they’re updating. Joints have come loose, draining water. Hopefully, water bills will come down when all the work is done in Kure Beach because so much surface water collecting in the old sewer lines has been pumped to Carolina Beach. Kure Beach pays for Carolina Beach treatment. read more

Oral History – Dub and Hazel Heglar – Part 1: ‘Moving Houses’

by Ann Hertzler

Dub HeglerThe moving cost to a family was $50. The barracks cost $250, the lot $200. Thus, for $500 total, many early KB families started their first home.

Dub and Hazel Heglar were married in 1942 before Dub went off to war (WWII). Dub’s nickname resulted from his sister not being able to pronounce his initials – J. W. It’s been Dub ever since. Dub spent almost 3 years in the Navy in World War II in the Pacific. The Heglars came to Kure Beach on vacation in 1946 after Dub came out of the service.

Moving Houses-  In September ’48, after meeting Walter Winner at Ft. Fisher, they stayed permanently and Dub went into partnership with Winner doing commercial fishing, construction work, and moving houses.

They bought two Army 4-wheel drive vehicles, weapons carriers from the Army, and built a trailer to move the tiny match box houses. The moving cost to a family was $50. The barracks cost $250, the lot $200. Thus, for $500 total, many early KB families started their first home.

When the Heglars moved to Kure Beach in 1948, son Harold was almost a year old. Harold went to New Hanover and is now fire chief of Kure Beach. Son Jerry, born in New Hanover County at James Walker Hospital in 1951, was in the first Hoggard graduating class. Heber Johnston was a doctor at Carolina Beach in the 50s. Dr. Sharon, a Carolina Beach doctor before moving to Wilmington, was around the yacht basin all the time. When someone got hurt around the boats, he had needles and thread in his pocket to sew them up right there.

Fort Fisher Blvd was called Second Street when the Heglars moved here in the 40s. Most buildings in the old part of Kure Beach from N Street to Hanby Beach were owned by International Nickel. It was first owned by Ethel Dow Chemical Company with a big plant over on the river shore on the back road with test stations at LaQue. Ocean water was pumped from the Atlantic Ocean to the plant for bromide. Jack Lewis worked and retired from there. Dub remembers when that area was all trees and very beautiful.

The Hanby area and much of Wilmington Beach were owned by Lawrence Kure and Glenn Tucker.

When the Heglars came here, they lived in Wilmington Beach for about two months; then moved to Spartanburg Avenue; and later across the street from the Lutheran Outdoor Ministry. The building just north of it is where army buildings were moved from Battle Acre at Ft. Fisher. They lived in one of the inner’s frame houses until ’49 and sold the business across the street from the Lutheran Church in 1964 where the Outdoor Ministry is now. They then built rooms to rent and a 5-room house on the ocean.

One of their 12 or 13 year old sons got caught in the ocean rip current. Dub swam out to get him. Dub had to relax till the current carried them all the way out. When the rip current turned Dub lose, he swam with an arm lock bringing the child to shore. Dub Hegler

There were two houses just alike near the northern extension fishing pier in Carolina Beach. Hurricane Hazel put one house in the marsh near the inland waterway and the other about a block away from where it was supposed to be. The owner said she’d give him one house if he’d put the other one back on the foundation where it belonged. People didn’t have a lot of money, so they traded for services. His house has been moved 3 times.

Dub wanted off that highway after heart surgery. They had an air conditioning window unit over on the ocean but got central air just after they moved the house off the highway about the mid 80’s.

When Dub went to work for Kure Beach, the only streets from the south of Kure Beach to the north end were E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M and N. The furthest over, 7th Street, was only one block long. It stopped the other side of the Baptist Church. The government line came through that next block, down to I Street, but was never developed as a street. And the line came where there are 3 houses on 6th Street. The government line goes way down to the only house on that side of 5th street. Then the government line cuts back into 5th Street and comes straight down here. 7th Street used to be over to 9th Street. The government line went from E to N and from Atlantic to about 7th in odd shapes.

Before Dub went to work, you could go over to 9th Street. But the government took all houses built over there for a buffer zone, so most houses were moved. The land grew back into vegetation. Most of the Museum and the Air Force Base are in the buffer zone.

World War II The Army during World War II had a few houses on the ocean front and a lot of cottages on that side of the road. They patrolled all around there. People who lived here could see burning ships that German submarines had torpedoed at night. The Air Force wanted to put in radar. They got a Fayetteville outfit to do the construction work. Some of the buildings are left from the Army days.

The Air Force Recreation Center was part of the World War II base for advanced training for soldiers getting ready to go to the war zone. Some of the original buildings are still there. The state owns a chunk of land – Ft. Fisher State Park, the Aquarium, and the Civil War battle historic site.

Hugh Morton owned the land where the Aquarium is and gave that to the State. He owned Grandfather Mountain and he also owned the shopping center where K & W Cafeteria is located.

Sunny Point came in about 1955 and condemned and declared a no-building zone or bought all the land. All that property back of Dub’s house, all the way to the river, was owned by Davis Brothers (around a hundred acres of farm land). Dub’s house is only 30 feet from the buffer zone. Carolina Beach had a lot of houses in there. There is also a Baptist church; a Methodist church cemetery and the Newton family cemetery.

Read more Dub & Hazel Heglar oral histories >>>