The Swing Bridge at Snow’s Cut 1931-1962
Monthly Meeting – October, 2012
Elaine Henson, related the history of the Inland Waterway, especially the section from Beaufort, NC to the mouth of the Cape Fear River. This covered 93 miles and was 90 feet wide to a depth of 12 feet. A very popular Major Snow was sent to Wilmington in 1926 to oversee this cut which made us an island. A wooden highway bridge over the cut was built in 1930 to be replaced by a more permanent one in 1944. Local residents had to pay for this bridge. The total project cost $3 million and was completed in 3 1/2 years.
For the Record:
The summary as described above( in last month’s newsletter) of Elaine’s program in October was a bit confused. It should have read: “Major Snow was sent to Wilmington in 1926 to oversee the 93 miles of inland waterway from Beaufort to the Cape Fear River, part of which was the land cut that made Federal Point an island.
The temporary wooden bridge over Snow’s Cut was opened in March, 1930 and replaced with a steel swing bridge in September of 1931. The residents did not pay for it. (The Federal government required the Tidewater Power Company and the Wrightsville Causeway company to pay for the 1931 Wrightsville Beach draw bridge because they operated a railroad over the inland waterway).
In 1944 the Department of Interior Board of Geographic Names officially named the cut Snow’s Cut. Locals had called it that since it was made.”
Later, at the November, 2013 Monthly Meeting, more information on the Inland Waterway and Snow’s Cut Bridge was presented by Elaine Henson.
Cape Fear Lighthouse
The Federal Point Historic Preservation Society held its monthly meeting on Monday, September 17, 2012 @ 7:30 pm at the Federal Point History Center, 1121-A North Lake Park Blvd., adjacent to Carolina Beach Town Hall.
Cape Fear Lighthouse
From 1903-1958 the Cape Fear Lighthouse stood guard over Frying Pan Shoals from the SE corner of Bald Head Island. But with the opening of the Oak Island Lighthouse it was deemed obsolete and blown up.
Sometime after the light was destroyed it’s first order Fresnel Lens ended up in front of an antiques shop in Wilmington where the individual prisms were sold to tourists passing by.
A few years ago members of the Old Baldy Foundation “found” it and negotiated the purchase of the frame and the few prisms that were left from the children of the original owner.
Mary Beth Springmeier, Executive Director, Chris Webb, President, and Kim Gottshall, Chair of the Lens Restoration Committee of the Old Baldy Foundation visited us from Bald Head Island to tell us the story of how they are bringing the prisms back to the Island, and how we can help.
New in the Gift Shop!
Last month (July, 2012) we featured the new Ocean Plaza t-shirts, which are selling well.
This month we’ve added a new line of vintage postcards, note cards and magnets. We’ve found a company in California that reprints postcards from the 1920’s to the 1940’s. Luckily they already had a number of images of Carolina Beach in their catalog and we are now carrying them in the gift shop. If these go well we may have others made from the postcards we have in our collection.
Note Cards: $4.00
We also have signed copies of Kevin Duffus’s two books The Last Days of Blackbeard the Pirate and War Zone: WWII off the Coast of North Carolina.
Reported by Ann Hertzler
These notes were extracted from a notebook from the 1940s stored at the KB town hall with minutes of the Kure Beach Progressive Association kept by Ma Fry (Brenda Coffey’s grandmother).
Dec 31, 1945
Fed Point History Assoc – A meeting of the citizens of Kure Beach was held in the Kure Memorial Chapel Monday night, Dec 31, 1945 with 16 present. Mr. Weinburg, acting chairman, explained that the purpose of the meeting was to discuss ways and means of securing fire protection, as the only security now is the insurance carried.… Mr. L.C.Kure would furnish the water and fittings; decided that we purchase 500’ of hose. Property owners were contacted and informed of actions. ($200 pledged, $115 paid)
Jan 8, 1946 “Kure Beach Progressive Association”
- Chairman Mr. L. E. Wienburg
- Secretary Mrs. C B Fry
- Treasurer Mr. L. C. Kure
- Advisory Committee – Bob Ford, L. C. Kure, F. M. Steinfurth
- Other Committees elected: By-Laws, Auditing, Financial, Maintenance
- Mr. Kure reported the hose is expected next week. Cost $284.50
Jan 15, 1946
Mr. Kure made a trip to Fayetteville to look at a fire truck; not successful. Mr. Manning reported a ford truck has been sent to Camp Davis for sale.
Jan 22, 1946
A motion was made to photograph the ponds of water and take before the County Commissioners in regards to sanitary conditions in and around Kure Beach ….
Jan 29, 1946
5th meeting photographs of the ponds, ditches and other places of stagnation have been made by Mrs. Weinburg, to be taken to County Commissioners, … along with as many members as possible, especially the ladies, and ….a signed petition. read more
We recently lost a loved and respected member of our community. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of J. Neil Pharr, who died on October 19, 2011.
Neil owned the Carolina Beach Drug Store and was the pharmacist there for many years until it closed in the late 80’s.
He was also a two term mayor of Carolina Beach and the thing most remembered about him is that he always tried to help everyone who came to him for help and advice.
Neil grew up in Concord and graduated from the Pharmacy School at UNC-Chapel Hill and worked as a pharmacist at Pike‟s Pharmacy in Concord and then came to Carolina Beach where he became the town pharmacist and friend to all.
Digital Image Project – Moving Ahead (Jan, 2011)
We have now scanned pictures from three families that have been long time residents of the Federal Point Area. The Kure’s, the Winner’s and the Burnett’s (see pictures below) We’d love to add some more families to our Digital Archive so please keep an eye out for a box of old pics you‟d be willing to have us archive.
What we do is BORROW your pictures for 4-6 weeks. We look through them and scan the ones that are most evocative of the Federal Point areas – Carolina Beach, Kure Beach, Myrtle Grove Sound, Seabreeze. You give the Society the rights to use the scanned photos in our publications and projects but you get your originals back. We‟ll also give you a CD with all the pictures we scanned which you can pass on to the next generation.
[From the December, 2009 FPHPS Newsletter]
Federal Point Lighthouse Excavation. Nov. 2009
Federal Point Lighthouse Excavation. Nov. 2009
On Thursday, November 19, a crew from the North Carolina Office of State Archaeology and the staff of the Fort Fisher State Historic Site uncovered what is believed to be the foundation of the first (and second) Federal Point Lighthouse. Measurement of the walls and dimensions of the brick floor match known building plans for the original 1816 light almost exactly.
Located east of the Confederate Monument and located directly in front of the location of the Keeper’s Quarters uncovered by Stanley South in the 1960’s, a number of small artifacts, including pieces of glass bottle, period dishes, and any number of Civil War period minnie balls and pieces of canon-balls, were found.
Sadly for lighthouse fans, the site was covered over at the end of the second day to preserve the foundation from salt-water, rain, and drastic temperature changes. Jim Steele, Director of the Fort Fisher Historic Site, does hope to find a way to “interpret” the location of both the lighthouse and the keeper’s quarters in the future.