News Articles – 1975 – 1979

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, THE NEW EAST magazine, Hanover Sun, Wilmington StarNews

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

July 1975 …. Carolina Beach
Mrs. Sheila Davis was the only woman in North Carolina to hold the important position of City-Manager. Carolina Beach Mayor Richard Kepley pointed out that Mrs. Davis was appointed city manager in May, 1974, after serving as city clerk and assistant to the Beach city manager since 1969.

A native of Wilson, N.C., Mrs. Davis was the daughter of Mrs. F.E. Stancil and the late Mr. Stancil. She and her husband, Leland Davis, who was a member of the N.C. State Dept. of Transportation were the parents of two teenagers, Mike, 18, and Lynn, 16.   (THE NEW EAST magazine, July-August 1975)

 

May 5, 1976 …. Carolina Beach
The Carolina Beach Town Council unanimously approved a Coastal Area Management ACT (CAMA) mandated land use plan that called for maintenance of current growth rates in the beach town. This act was a product of the 1974 legislature. It represented a compromise between the needs to develop the town‘s economic resources and the need to preserve the town‘s natural resources.

According to the plan, Carolina Beach had 792 undeveloped acres in which to grow. Additional growth could be accommodated with higher density development in the 1,265 existing developed acres.

An additional 1,373 acres of undeveloped lands consisted of areas of environmental concern (AEC), and this could be used only if local and state authorities permitted the development activity. The Coastal Resources Commission had not yet fully defined acres of environmental concern. The Carolina land use plan concluded thw town had a permanent population of 2,700. The seasonal population was between 20,000 and 30,000. WILM.STAR, 5-12-1976.

 

November 14, 1976 …. Carolina Beach
The officials of the Carolina Beach State Park were developing a recreation plan that was to open more than 1,300 acres of land to picnickers, fishermen, hikers and motorcycle riders. The tract of land, once part of the Sunny Point munitions terminal buffer zone, was recently leased to the Carolina Beach State Park by the government. Motorcycle riding was to be allowed in the old Dow Chemical Plant area and picnicking in the Federal Point Cemetery area. Biking and fishing would be permitted throughout the entire park system. WILM.STAR, 11-14-1976.

 

April 18, 1977 …. Carolina Beach
The WAVE theater was destroyed by fire. Nothing but the walls survived. The theater was owned by Mrs. Eunice Benway. Along with the Benway‘s Department Store next door. The store suffered smoke and water damage. Her pet dogs, two German Shepherd guard dogs and a poodle were killed by the fire. Within about a hour the blaze was brought under control by area fire department. Robert Weeks was the chief of the Carolina Beach fire department. One fireman was injured and several others suffered from smoke inhalation. WILM.STAR, 4-19-1977.

 

April 18, 1977 …. Carolina Beach
The old Wave Theater in Carolina Beach was destroyed by fire. In recent times the theater had been used for adult movies and was operated by John Gregory. The blaze was fought by three fire departments, the Carolina Beach, Federal Point and Kure Beach fire departments. The theater had been condemned as a fair hazard the previous fall.   (Hanover Sun, 4-20-1977.

 

May 17, 1977 …. Carolina Beach
The Federal Point Medical Center opened at Carolina Beach. The center was to be staffed by a family nurse practitioner, medical assistant, and two on-call doctors. The first staff was made up of Ms. Ginga Koehncke, Elaine Bland, Barbara Martin, Dr. Dan Gottovi, Dr. Terry Withers. WILM.STAR NEWS, 8-20-1978.

 

July 5, 1977 …. Carolina Beach
N.C. Senator Wm. G. Smith and N.C. Rep. B.D. Schwartz officially opened the community development and planning office at the Carolina Beach Town Hall. It was funded by federal, state and local money. The office was to be a demonstration project for the state, and it was to assist individuals and groups in obtaining grants and loans. The town manager Mrs. Sheila S. Davis was present for the opening. Community Planner Jim Taylor was to administer the Community Development Block Grant and assist the town in acquiring grant money. WILM.STAR, 7-6-1977.

 

November 17, 1977 …. Carolina Beach
The N.C. Department of Transportation approved a $12,000 project to develop an airport master plan for the proposed Carolina Beach Airport. Watters Airport, 4 miles south of Carolina Beach, had been donated to the town for use as an airport. The airport was currently limited to small amounts of traffic due to the soft sand on the turf runway. It was planned to pave the runway to attract area resort traffic and business aircraft headed for New Hanover County. The airport was expected to house about 25 based aircraft. WILM.STAR, 11-17-1977.

 

May 1, 1978 …. Carolina Beach
B.R. Padgett, chief of police at Carolina Beach for six year, resigned. He was accepting a job with the N.C. Alcohol Enforcement Division, working out of the Wilmington office. WILM.STAR, 4-22-1978.

 

May 5, 1978 …. Carolina Beach
The Commercial Realty Company announced that construction on Federal Point Village, a shopping center and office park to be located just south of Snow‘s Cut bridge, would begin in 30 days. It was to be built on 15 acres of land, next to the Federal Point Medical Center. Jim Taylor, acting town manager at Carolina Beach, said that the new center would be a tremendous help to the area. WILM.STAR NEWS, 5-5-1978.

 

September 23, 1978 …. Carolina Beach
The Fifth Annual Septober Festival was held at Carolina Beach. Joanie Ray Singletary was crowned at Miss Pleasure Island 1979. Miss Singletary, 19, was a student at the Miller-Motte Business College. Her two runners-up were Dana Leigh Schroeder and Deborah Leigh Berry.

The two-day festival had an arts and craft show and contest, and there was also an Antique Car Show. Brooks Pearce won first place for a painting, and Chris Hahn won first place for needlepoint. A 1934 Ford Roadster, owned by Colin McCutchin of Kingstree, S.C. won first prize. The oldest car award went to J.J. Malpass of Burgaw for his 1906 two-cylinder Chase. The most unusual car was a 1938 Morgan three-wheeler owned by Letha Morgan of Lumberton. WILM.STAR, 9-29-1978.

 

May 6, 1979 …. Carolina Beach
Solange “Nikki” Thompson opened a new Oriental restaurant called “The Egg Roll Factory” in April. It was to be open six days a week, lunches and dinners, along with food-to-go. It was located at 30 Lake Park Blvd., Carolina Beach. She was the wife of Robert N. Thompson, a captain in the U.S. Air Force stationed at Fort Fisher. “Nikki” was a native of Hue, South Vietnam. Her father was a French archaeologist and her mother was born and reared in Vietnam. Her mother was now living in Marseilles, France. Her 22-year-old brother helped her with the business and he worked as night manager of the restaurant. She was helped in the kitchen by Mrs. J.R. Benson, Jr. WILM.STAR-NEWS, 5-6-1979.

 

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994