News Articles – 1945

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

January 14, 1945
James Hayes, manager of Hotel Royal Palm at Carolina Beach, was critically injured about 4 o‘clock Sunday morning when he fell down the ?-foot elevator shaft of the hotel , breaking his back in two places, his left arm, receiving deep laceration over right eye and being paralyzed in the right side.

Police Officer Clayton Faulk said that the accident occurred as Hayes, without knowledge that the elevator was on the third floor, unlocked the lobby entrance to the elevator to carry two Marines to an upper floor, stepped sideways and fell into the basement shaft.

Hayes, who was unconscious when police arrived, was removed to the lobby by the two Marines, assisted by three other military men. He was carried to James Walker Memorial Hospital by Officer Faulk upon Dr. S.R. Jordan‘s advice. His condition was later disclosed as satisfactory.

Hayes was a native of Ohio and became manager of the hotel in the spring of 1944. WILM.POST, 1-15-1945

 

January 27, 1945
The general news from Carolina Beach was as follows:

  • The Western Union reopened after two weeks due to a shortage of operators. Mrs. Eunice Grishaber accepted the managership and resumed operation.
  • Mr. and Mrs. Warren K. Pennington, Sr., were notified recently that their son, Pfc. Warren K. Pennington, Jr., was missing in action somewhere in France. He was with Patton‘s Third Army, serving as automatic rifleman. Prior to this he had been wounded and had resumed his duties in the line of service. He was the only child. His father was the genial proprietor of the Pennington Flying Service at Carolina Beach. There were thoughts of starting a businessman‘s club at the beach.
  • Mr. and Mrs. A.J. Kraus had returned from a trip to Florida.
    The First Baptist Church had just completed their new building located on the highway entering the beach. Their finishing project was the installation of a hot air coal stoker. The cost of the church was estimated at $31,000.
  • The Carolina Beach police dept. had added E.L. Marshburn, formerly of the Ethyl-Dow plant, to its staff. Clayton C. Faulk and J.W. Millinor, former policemen, left for induction in the service. Faulk to the navy, and Millinor to the army.
  • James L. Longworth, manager of the Wave theatre, returned from a vacation in his home town, Winston-Salem. R.G. Westbrook was acting manager during his absence.
  • Mrs. R.C. Fergus had recently returned from her vacation in Mexico City.
  • A.S. Grady had been appointed justice of the peace for Federal Point township by Gov. Gregg Cherry for a 4-year term. He was an old resident and retired lawyer.  WILM.POST 1-27-1945

 

February, 1945
The Carolina Beach police force reported an active month of January with 21 arrests. The fines collected for the month were $41. The fire department reported only one fire during the same month, at 11th avenue and Canal Drive. Chief of Police Bruce Valentine issued an order that all dogs which had not been vaccinated or do not have city tags would be picked up. Dr. Huffman from Wilmington was to come to the beach to vaccinate dogs at the city hall on February 14th.

Personal Items:

  • Mrs. C.L. Snipes returned from Florida where she spent a 3-weeks‘ vacation.
  • Mr. and Mrs. T.E. Blanton were the proud parents of a new 8 1⁄4 pound boy born on February 3rd at their home on the beach.
  • Mrs. F.L. Ludwig and daughter, Ramona, were visiting in Atlanta, Ga. And were expected home this weekend.
  • Pfc. and Mrs. Floyd R. Swagerty returned from Texas and New Mexico where they spent their honeymoon. Mrs. Swagerty was the former Miss Dora Frances Brown, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.S. Brown, of Carolina Beach. Pfc. Swagerty returned to Fort Jackson, S.C. where he was stationed.
  • D.M. Greer, ex-fire chief, was admitted to a Wilmington hospital with pneumonia recently.
  • The condition of E.E. Jordan was improving after several days‘ confinement at his home with influenza. WILM. POST, 2-10-1945.

 

February 3, 1945
The general news from Carolina Beach was as follows:

  • The traffic lights had been turned on indicating the beginning of an early season.
  • Miss Helen Johnson, former employee of the beach post office, had accepted a position with the Hyman Supply Company in Wilmington.
  • QM 3-C Robert J. Robinson, son of Mr. and Mrs. C.E. Robinson, was home on a 30-day furlough. He had been serving on an escort vessel in the European theatre for 14 months. He was awaiting reassignment.
  • Mrs. Florence Jean Fields was transferred on Jan.26th from the post office at Carolina Beach to the Wilmington office. She was the daughter of Dr. and Mrs. S.R. Jordan of the beach.
  • Mrs. A.P. Peay, wife of the beach mayor, was a patient in James Walker Memorial Hospital.
  • Miss Janie Newton, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.E. Newton, was married January 22, 1945 in the naval chapel in San Francisco, to S 1-C George Henniker, Jr., of Wilmington.
  • Beginning February 3, 1945 every dog owner on the beach will be required to buy a license and have his dog vaccinated. Carolina Beach was to have a dog catcher.
  • The Teen-Age Club of Carolina Beach met January 31st at the City Hall. Miss Marie Williams was president.
  • The Pennington Flying Service had two students to solo. They were Hugh Kelley of Carolina Beach, and H.E. Louder of Maffitt Village, formerly of Carolina Beach.
  • Jim Longworth, manager of the Wave Theatre, thanked his patrons for their cooperation in the March of Dimes campaign. WILM.POST, 2-3-1945.

 

 

February 12, 1945
Construction of a new Presbyterian church in the downtown area of Carolina Beach was begun. The building materials had been ordered and work was to begin as soon as they arrived. John McLeod, student at the Union Theological Seminary, Richmond, Va., preached for the Carolina Beach congregation in the Methodist church building. WILM.STAR, 2-9-1945.

 

 

February 16, 1945
LOCAL MISC. NEWS —-

  • Cpl. J.W. Sanderson, USMC, was in town on a 10-day furlough from Cherry Point.
  • Mrs. W.E. Creech spent a few days at her home in Whiteville.
  • Mrs. George R. Sifritt left for San Francisco to join her husband, Lieut. Sifritt, Army Air Force, who had just returned from overseas duty in the Pacific. She was the former Miss Mavis Murrell of Carolina Beach.
  • Cpl. Bill MacDonald, Air Force gunner, after a 13-day furlough at Carolina Beach, reported back to his station in Tampa, Fla.
  • Mrs. W.F. Posey went to High Point to visit her mother, Mrs. G.C. Caldwell.
  • Mrs. Neil Kelly, Jr., joined her husband in Sanford, Fla. Ensign Kelly was with the Navy Air Force and Mrs. Kelly was the former Miss Charlotte Hinnant, who had worked at the beach post office.
  • Mrs. James P. Walton visited her mother in Norfolk, Va.
  • Mason Greer was recuperating from pneumonia.
  • James Hayes, manager of the Royal Palm Hotel, who was hurt in an accident there on Jan. 14, was in fair condition at a Wilmington hospital. WILM.POST, 2-16-1945.

 

February 16, 1945
Carolina Beach was preparing for a big summer despite the war and its travel curb. George B. Applewhite, a veteran real estate man, predicted a good season from the continued fresh painting and repairing which was going on at the beach. James Longworth, manager of the WAVE theatre, was preparing for the new season. He was boasting that his theater had collected $179 for the March of Dimes by means of the Boy Scout collections, and he also assisted in the War Bond drive. Another sign of warmer weather approaching, was the beautification of the Baptist and Methodist Churches. They were planting new shrubs and bushes, grass and flowers. WILM.POST, 2-26-1945.

 

February 28, 1945
Fifty-four sets of bids, most of them by Wilmingtonians, for the buildings on the Carolina Beach Recreation Area, the first military camp of any size to be declared surplus and offered for sale in North Carolina, were opened in the office of Walter F. Williams, project manager, in Raleigh.

Williams said it would be several days before a list of successful bidders could be drawn up. It was explained that the 141 structures on the area to be sold would have to be moved by the buyer, as the land does not belong to the government. Among the structures for sale was gas stations, storehouses, post exchange, administration building, headquarters building and guard house.

The Carolina Beach area was originally set up and constructed for a recreation area for troops and later used as quarters for a combat team. WILM.STAR, 3-1-1945; 2-13-1945

 

March 1, 1945
A new fire engine, equipped with a 750-gallon-a-minute pumper, manufactured by the American LaFrance Fire Engine Company, was delivered to Carolina Beach. It was delayed due to war orders. WILM.POST, 1-27-1945.

 

March 23, 1945
The recently completed All Saints Episcopal Church at Carolina Beach was to be used for the first time on the next Sunday morning. The land for the new building, located on Canal Drive, was given by Mrs. Etha L. Murrin. The structure was a combination church and parish building. The frame was covered with oyster white asbestos shingles and the interior was finished in cream buff masonite walls. Fred W. Smiley was the contractor and Paul Stone was the builder. WILM.POST, 3-23-1945.

 

March 25, 1945
The All Saints‘ Episcopal Church, recently completed at Carolina Beach, was used for the first time with the opening service including celebration of the Holy Communion and sermon by the Rev. Thomas P. Noe.
Land for the new building, located on Canal Drive, was given by Mrs. Etha L. Murrin. The erection of the edifice was made possible by gifts from church organizations. The structure is a combination church and parish building. The frame is covered with oyster white asbestos shingles and the interior is finished in cream buff masonite walls. Fred W. Smiley was the contractor and Paul Stone was the builder.
Episcopal church services have been held at Carolina Beach for several years. The first was in the Community Church building and for several months they have been conducted in the Baptist church building. WILM.STAR, 3-23-1945.

 

March 25, 1945
Father Michael J. Begley, rector of the Immaculate Conception Church at Carolina Beach was the main speaker at the monthly meeting of the Carolina Beach Civitan Club. He shared a number of humorous stories and added new definitions to some old ones.
Tom Benge and his ukulele provided a brief musical interlude. Cameron Sinclair was welcomed as a new member. C.G. Vanlandingham, the newly-elected president of club presided at the meeting. Mike Hall, the outgoing and charger president of the club, was presented with a watch as a token of appreciation of his services during the club‘s first year. WILM.STAR,

 

April 1, 1945
The third annual Easter sunrise service was held at Carolina Beach at 7 a.m. The service was held on the boardwalk at the end of Harper Avenue. There was a choir of 50 voices under the direction of Mrs. A.C. Cole. The ministers participating were: Rev. Paul Carruth, Rev. Thomas P. Noe, Rev. H.J. Wilson, Rev. Lewis E. Ludlum. Other participants were C.F. Johnson and Mrs. J. Homer Lingle, and Rev. James B. McQuere, chairman of the program committee. WILM.POST, 3-30-1945.

 

July 7, 1945
William S. Thompson died. Born 3-13-1882. Interment in Federal Point Cemetery.

 

September 15th, 1945
Stepin‘ Fetchit, a black comedian from Hollywood appeared in person at the Carolina Beach Auditorium. In the same shows was Frank Humphries and His Trumpet and Orchestra, and Sammy Price, the world‘s best Boogie- Woogie Pianist, and Laura Horne, the screen‘s latest sensation. The show was sponsored by the Booster‘s Club. WILM.NEWS, 9-13-1945.

 

August 18, 1945
Sam L. Morton, Jr. son of Mr. and Mrs. S.L. Morton, died. Born August 15, 1945. Interment in Federal Point Cemetery.

 

July 25, 1945  
E.V. Leonard had been named chief of police at Carolina Beach. SPP 7-26-95.

 

September 18, 1945 …. Kure Beach
A $20,000 commercial building, now under construction at Kure‘s Beach, is expected to be opened on November 1st by Lewis Weinberg, of Wilmington. The one-story structure will house a drug store and sandwich shop, and a market and tackle shop, and a spacious auditorium for bingo, dancing and private parties. Of concrete and steel construction, the structure is being erected by the Home Builders Company of Wilmington. It is 60 by 80 feet in size. WILM.NEWS, 9-18-1945.

 

October 3, 1945
Mike Soulias, 68, a Carolina Beach merchant, died after a short illness. He was a member of the Greek Orthodox Church and his remains were sent to Port Huron, Michigan, for interment. He was survived only by a niece, Mrs. Mary Manis, of Port Huron. WILM.POST, 10-4-1945.

 

October 19, 1945
With the sounds of hammers and saws it was convincing that Carolina Beach was setting a fast post-war pace for itself. Mayor W.G. Fountain, owner of the 70-room Royal Palm Hotel, was busy adding a 4-story brick 50-room annex to his hotel. He boasted that he already had had a grand season, the greatest in the history of his hotel, and he was preparing for another even grander season. T.A. Croom, the mayor pro-tem, said other buildings will go up here faster than you can count them. The town was starting work on street work in the Northern Extension preparatory to the opening of a large real estate development. WILM.POST, 10-19-1945.

 

November 9, 1945
Carolina Beach Real Estate Transfers:

  • J.E.D.Clark, et ux, lot 1-8, Wilmington Beach
  • Wilmington Savings & Trust Co., Tr., to Annie L. Harriss, Pt.7-A, Carolina Beach.
  • W.L. Farmer, et ux, to D. Carl Winner, lot 4-81, Carolina Beach; lot on St. Joseph Street, Carolina Beach, lot 3, Moore property, Carolina Beach, lot 4, Efird property, Carolina Beach.
  • J.E.D. Clark, et ux, to Carl A. Pfofl, et ux, lot 22-15, Sec. A., Fort Fisher Sea Beach…WILM.NEWS 11-9-1945.

 

November 15, 1945
The Grove Park Tea Room re-opened on Carolina Beach Road at Snow‘s Cut. They announced the addition of a new modern Oyster Roast. WILM.NEWS, 11-16-1945.

 

December 7, 1945
Boy Scout leaders who attended the recent training course will have an outing tonight at Camp Carobee, Carolina Beach. Troop 21 Scouts under the leadership of Scoutmaster J.M. Thomas, will set up a demonstration camp. Other Scouters will pitch tents and ditch them, make camp gadgets and cook supper. Scouters expected to attend included Bob Howard, J.M. Thomas, Courtland Baker, Carroll Tinsley, Joe Barnes, C.W. Smith, W.G. Winn, Thurston Davis, J.B. Harris, Jack Craig, C.W. Garrett, J.V. Stanley, F.M. Southerland, E.M. McEachern, Sammy Jolly, G.E. Goodkoontz, B.L. Prince, John Conway and E.Z. Blanton.  WILM.POST, 12-7-1945.

 

December 9, 1945
The cornerstone of the Carolina Beach Presbyterian Church was laid. The structure, now under construction, was designed by Leslie N. Boney, of Wilmington. Work was begun in July of this year. WILM.STAR, 12-9-1945.

 

December 9, 1945
The cornerstone of the Carolina Beach Presbyterian Church was laid. Dr. William Crowe, pastor of the first Presbyterian Church of Wilmington was the principal speaker. Others taking part in the program were H. McC. Biddle, chairman of the Bldg. committee, Ira Hines, the contractor, and the pastor, Rev. John MacLeod. The contents of the stone were cancelled notes, a list of charter members, and a history of the church written by Mrs. D.S. Orrell, and other papers of historical importance.

The Carolina Beach church was organized by the Wilmington Presbytery in November, 1943. Services were held for a time in the Town Hall and later in the Methodist church. The pulpit was supplied for many months by defense service pastors furnished to the community by the Presbyterian Church, USA. The church served the servicemen then located at Fort Fisher. When the servicemen left the area, attention was fixed on a permanent place of worship for the congregation. Actual construction began in July, 1945, it was designed by Leslie N. Boney, of Wilmington.  WILM.POST, 12-8-1945.

 

December 21, 1945
Construction was on the march at Carolina Beach – $250,000 worth of it. The new construction underway included a new ice plant, a 50-room addition to the Royal Palm Hotel, two new restaurants and 20 new residences, including several rooming houses. Walter Blair, a special town representative, declared that Carolina Beach was ‘well on its way’ to becoming a year-around residential center. WILM.NEWS, 12-21-1945.

 

December 21, 1945
The Carolina Beach Restaurant opened in the building recently occupied by the post office at Carolina Beach. J.C. Messick was the manager. It was to be open all year round – a family restaurant – no beer served. Strictly American Foods. WILM. NEWS, 12-10-1945. The formal opening was on Christmas Day, Dec.25, 1945.

 

December 22, 1945
Joseph H. Winner (unmarried) was involved in a ‘trustee‘s sale of real estate.’ The property was sold at public auction for cash at the New Hanover County courthouse. The land was in Federal Point Township, beginning in the Carl A. Bache line . . . eastern line of St. Joseph Street. . . northwest corner of a tract of land owned by V.A. Stefano . . . N.C. State Highway 421 . . . , the same being part of the J. L. Winner heirs tract of land; and, also, being the same land conveyed to Joseph L. Winner, by deed filed for registration March 9, 1944, and recorded in Book 355, Page 333, of New Hanover County Registry. This sale included all furniture, fixtures, tools, or accessories and equipment of every kind now in the building on the land. The tools and equipment included chain hoists, cutting torch, hydraulic jacks, bench grinder, air compressor, welding outfit, blow gas torch, socket wrenches, drills, wrenches, vise, etc. WILM.POST, 11-29-1945.

 

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994