Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994
January 9, 1939
The sale of 18 1⁄2 acres of marsh land near Carolina Beach for prices ranging from $5 to $25 an acre was recommended to the N.C. Board of Education by two state officials, Clyde Erwin, supt. of public instruction, and Charles MI Johnson, N.C. treasurer. The two men had surveyed the land recently and decided to recommend that six acres be sold to Carolina Beach for $5 an acre. The town wanted the property for a yacht basin. It was proposed that 12 1⁄2 acres be sold to private interests for $25 an acre. (Wilm News, 1-10-1939)
January 9, 1939
The Rev. Dennis M. Larkin accepted the call to become pastor of the recently organized Baptist church at Carolina Beach. The Rev. Mr. Larkin had been serving as an associate pastor of the Calvary Baptist Church of Wilmington and pastor of the East Baptist Church in Sanford. He was graduated from Wake Forest College in June, 1938, and was on of the younger ministers in his church. During his pastorate at Sanford the church made much progress along all lines. The new pastor was to take charge immediately at the Carolina Beach church and was to preach there twice monthly.
The congregation had secured options on property for a site for a church building and two lots and had planned a campaign to raise funds for the building. Services were now being held in the Community House. The Rev. A. J. Barton, moderator of the Wilmington Baptist Association, called on other churches in Wilmington to assist the new church in promoting its work. (Wilm News, 1-9-1939)
March 19, 1939
Miss Mary Elizabeth Cash and Mr. Malcum Penny were married in Wilmington at the First Baptist Church. Miss Cash was from Kings Mountain, NC and was residing with her aunt, Mrs. J.E. Webb, at Carolina Beach for the past two years. Among those attending the ceremony were Mr. and Mrs. M.C. Penny, Mrs. J.O. Mann and Miss Ruby Jackson, all of Carolina Beach. The newlyweds were to make their home at the beach. WILM.NEWS, 3-21-1939.
March 21, 1939
A bill granting justices of the peace concurrent jurisdiction with the special criminal court for New Hanover County of criminal matters arising within the incorporated limits of the Town of Carolina Beach was forwarded to the county‘s two representatives in the House at Raleigh by the Town of Carolina Beach. Magistrates at Carolina Beach could try any criminal matter arising within the town limits provided it did not exceed 30 days imprisonment or a fine of $50. (Wilm News, 3-22-1939)
May 8, 1939
A constitution was adopted, a governing board was elected, and a number of committees were appointed at a meeting of the recently organized Ethyl-Dow Operators at the Ott Weis cottage at Carolina Beach. The club was an outgrowth of the desire of the operators and shift men of the Ethyl-Dow plant for more cooperation and fellowship. The officers of the organization were Otis Davis, president; Ott Weis, vice president, and Curtis Hewett, secretary-treasurer. (Wilm Star, 5-11-1939)
May 17, 1939
The Carolina Beach Chamber of Commerce held its first meeting of the season at the Palais Royal Hotel and elected officers for the ensuing year.
Officers elected were; Robert Plummer, president; D.M. Greer, vice-president; C. G. Van Landingham, treasurer, and Fred Tennison, secretary. Cliff Lewis, retiring president, spoke of the splendid work the Chamber of Commerce had accomplished during its first two years of activity. The meeting was the largest and most enthusiastic the Chamber had ever had. (Wilm Star, 5-18-1939)
May 20, 1939
Dr. H.C. Carr, owner, and O.B. Honeycutt, manager, of the Carolina Beach Theatre, were in town completing arrangements for opening the theatre on May 26th at 7 p.m. The theatre was to be open seven days a week beginning with its opening. (Wilm Star, 5-21-1939)
May 21, 1939
Life guards started patrol duty at Carolina Beach. It was deemed to have at least two guards on duty for the pre-season crowd. They were to have as extra equipment, a Hawaiian surf board, rope and torpedo buoys. Later in the season it was expected to have modern surf boats added to the equipment. The first guards were Lonnie Peck and Wythe Quarles, two veterans of the last season. They were to be followed by four more later. (Wilm Star, 5-20-1939)
May 30, 1939
A total of fifteen cannon balls had been dug from the bottom of the new yacht basin during dredging. One of the missiles was ten inches in diameter and weighed 75 pounds. The powder inside was still dry and the small brass firing cap was still projecting from the shell and was in perfect condition. Stamped in small letters on the brass firing cap was the date ‘1861’. Most of the shells contained powder and would explode if struck properly. All of the missiles were found in a spot about 200 yards long and all had gone through the pipe and pumping machinery with no injury to either the boat or machinery. H.M. Hodges was the operator of the dredge boat. (Wilm Star, 6-1-1939)
June 1, 1939
Mrs. Madge Woods Bell, principal of the Carolina Beach School, had tendered her resignation to the board of education and she was to be replaced in the next year by Mrs. C.G. Van Landingham. Mrs. Bell was leaving the Cape Fear area and intended to leave the teaching profession also. She had been faithful and efficient in her duties. (Wilm News, 6-1-1939)
June 6, 1939
The two-mile Carolina Beach canal connecting the sound at Carolina Beach with the Inland Waterway had been completed. The Yacht basin at the resort was also to be completed soon. The project, when finished, was to cost approximately $40,000. Mayor R.C. Fergus had presented an application for a $22,000 WPA project for street work, a new boardwalk and the wharf at the yacht basin at the head of the canal. The wharf was to be 200 by 150 feet. C.B. Parmele said he expected to open up the property along the canal for development soon. A new street, to be known as Canal Drive, measuring 40 feet wide, was to be built along the waterway. The canal itself was 6 1⁄2 feet deep at mean low tide and was 82 feet wide. The yacht basin, when completed, was to be 12 feet deep and 200 by 300 feet in area. (Wilm News, 6-7-1939)
June 6, 1939
Permission was granted to the Town of Carolina Beach by the U.S. War Department to build a pier on the south end of the new yacht basin for the purpose of docking boats using the basin.
The pier was to be ‘Y’ shaped, with each arm 150 feet long and the approach was to be 50 feet long and the platform of the pier was to be above the water line. (Wilm News, 6-6-1939)
A flying field was located at the head of Canal Drive where the northern extension opened into a wide level area. (Wilm Star, 6-15-1941)
June 17, 1939
Miss Lila Belle Fountain was elected Carolina Beach‘s beauty queen as eight young beauties competed for the honor and the right to represent the resort town at the Wilson Tobacco Festival in July. The other contestants were Misses Ruth Burnett, Susan Westbrook, Frances Hatcher, Gladys Fergus, Elizabeth Wysong, Gwendolyn Myers and Winona Boney.
The contest was held at the Carolina Club casino, where Hal Thurston and His Orchestra were furnishing the music. The beach had one of the largest crowds it had ever entertained at this time of the year. (Wilm News, 6-18-1939)
June 17, 1939
Miss Lila Belle Fountain was selected as Miss Carolina Beach to represent the resort town at Wilson‘s Tobacco Festival in July. (Wilm News, 6-19-1939)
June 17, 1939 …. Federal Point
The Cape Fear River lightkeeper F. Mollycheck had a mystery on his hands; the Snow‘s Cut Beacon, in it’s proper place on Thursday afternoon, could not be found anywhere on Friday morning. SPP
June 23, 1939
The concluding feature of the official program of the Bicentennial Celebration was a fancy dress ball held at the Carolina Club casino at Carolina Beach. The management of the casino secured Taylor Hardy and his Auburn Nights orchestra, from Alabama, who was to furnish the music for the colorful affair. (Wilm News, 6-18-1939)
July 4, 1939
(advertisement) – FOR SALE – Three houses, 208, 208 1⁄2 and 210 Harper Avenue. Heart of the town. Ideal for rooming houses. 14 bedrooms altogether. (Wilm News, 7-4-1939)
July 4, 1939
C.E. Justice, of Carolina Beach, presented an application for a license to sell beer and to operate a dance hall, and it was granted. (Wilm News, 7-4-1939)
July 14, 1939
A Western Union telegraph office was opened in the Royal Palm Hotel at Carolina Beach. W.F. Pittman, manager of the Western Union Office in Wilmington, remarked that as far as he knew this opening marked the first time in the history of the resort that it had direct telegraph service. (Wilm News, 7-14-1939)
July 31, 1939
The U.S. Senate confirmed the appointment of John C. Koleman as postmaster at Carolina Beach. (Wilm News, 8-1-1939); (Wilm News, 7-27-1939)
July 31, 1939
Plummer‘s Store, located at the head of Cape Fear Boulevard, Carolina Beach, was severely damaged by fire. Most of the interior of the building was burned, which destroyed all of the stock, composed mostly of groceries, and most of the fixtures were damaged or ruined. The damage was estimated at approximately $3,000. The blaze was discovered at 3:45 a.m. by Policeman J.L. Craig. (Wilm Star, 8-1-1939(; (Wilm News, 7-31-1939)
August 16, 1939
C.C. McGinnis, WPA state administrator, announced in Raleigh the approval of a $5,490 project for the construction of a wharf at the recently-completed yacht basin at Carolina Beach. The project was to furnish work to 15 men, and would be started on August 20th. The wharf was to be L-shaped, and would be 12 by 200 feet. When completed, it would be municipally owned and operated. The town was to furnish about 40 per cent of the material with the WPA supplying the remainder. The yacht basin was now eight feet deep at mean low water, following recent dredging. (Wilm News, 8-17-1939); (Wilm News, 8-31-1939)
Real Estate Transfers –
- E.E. Horne to C.O. Landrum, 15-85, Carolina Beach;
- L.L. Taylor to James W. Garrison, 6-33, Carolina Beach;
- Hl. Elizabeth King to Alberta C. Snider,12-14 Federal Point, 11A-14A, Federal Point, Carolina Beach;
- A. L. Mansfield to Alexander J. Ritchie, part Pavilion block, Carolina Beach;
- Albert A. Keels to R.S. Liles, Jr., 20-49, Carolina Beach;
- A.W. Pate to J.H. Fisher, 2-167, Carolina Beach. (Wilm Star, 9-2-1939)
September 3, 1939
The new Immaculate Conception Chapel at Carolina Beach was dedicated. Bishop Eugene J. McGuiness, D.D. of Raleigh conducted the ceremonies. He was assisted by Rev. M.J. Begley, of the chapel; Father Timothy J.Holland, S.S.J., of St. Thomas Church, of Wilmington, as deacon; and the Rev. Joel Arnold, of Castle Haynes, as sub-deacon.
Special music was furnished by St. Mary‘s choir of Wilmington. The new chapel was located at the northwestern limits of Carolina Beach and on property donated by Marion L. Winner, of the beach. The building was of brick veneer, with an interior finish of knotty pine, red oak floors, tile-tex ceiling, and there was a rectory and a 4-room dwelling adjacent to the chapel. The architect was C. W. Goudy, Jr., of Greensboro, general contractor, John Morris, of Delco. (Wilm Star, 9-3-1939)
November 1, 1939
Governor Hoey appointed R.C. Fergus, of Wilmington, as mayor of Carolina Beach, and C.G. Van Landingham, Jr. and J. Malcolm Hall, both of Carolina Beach, and W.G. Fountain of Wilmington, as town alderman.
Under state law two of the five town officials shall be legal residents of Carolina Beach and three must be non-residents, all to be named by the governor. At a nominating meeting held September 1st at the beach the four men appointed were recommended, along with J.R. Bame, also of Carolina Beach.
The governor requested that the four appointees recommend to him a non-resident of Carolina Beach to be appointed as the fourth alderman, provided for by law. If they cannot agree, he said he would select someone. (Wilm News, 11-1-1939)
November 5, 1939
The Rev. F.S. Johnston, pastor of the Immanuel Presbyterian Church, preached at the 9 p.m. service at the Carolina Beach Community Church. The church building was now undergoing remodeling to provide space for an increased enrollment in the Sunday School department. (Wilm News, 11-3-1939)
November 15, 1939
An appeal for a bell was made by the non-denominational Carolina Beach Community Church.
The church was begun December 1, 1937, to have religious services each Sunday night, with some minister from Wilmington conducting the service. Since that time, the church had grown steadily. Members of the church said that they feel the need of a bell greatly and hoped that, someone in the community would offer one for the use of the church. (Wilm News, 11-15-1939)
November 23, 1939
The Carolina Beach Home Demonstration Club elected officers for the year 1940. The president was Mrs. Cliff D. Lewis; vice president was Mrs. Albert T. Harriss; and the secretary and treasurer was Mrs. Floyd G. Fowler. Also elected were the officers for the Carolina Beach 4-H Club for 1940. The president was Mrs. J.C. Koleman. (Wilm News, 11-23-1939)
December 8, 1939
Mayor Fergus was notified of the presidential approval of the proposed city hall and auditorium projects at Carolina Beach costing approximately $44,000. Work was to begin on the two projects as soon as the labor was available. The total cost of the projects include approximately $20,000 from the WPA and approximately $24,000 in local funds, approved at a special bond issue a while back. WILM.NEWS, 12-8-1939. (Wilm Star, 12-9-1939)
December 17, 1939
Abrams was offering his ocean front cottage, corner of Northern Extension and Fifth Avenue, for sale. It contained 13 rooms divided into 3 apartments, 1 upper and 2 lowers, completely furnished; electric refrigerator in each apartment. It contained 1 bath with tub and 3 shower rooms. Four toilet rooms. Extra servants‘ room. Paneled throughout with veneer. Price Low for Cash. (Wilm Star, 12-17-1939)
December 22, 1939
Installation of a sanitary sewerage system was definitely assured with presidential approval of allotment of federal funds for the project. Mayor Fergus was notified by the WPA headquarters in Raleigh that President F.D. Roosevelt had just approved the project costing an estimated $188,000 in federal and sponsor funds.
The new sanitary sewerage system was to be installed to replace the septic tank system which was now in use and which had proved inadequate, inefficient and unsanitary. (Wilm News, 12-22-1939)
December 23, 1939
J.R. Bame, who had been operating hotels on Carolina Beach for the past 18 years, announced plans for the addition of 32 rooms and two stories to his present hotel building. This addition would give the hotel a total of 92 rooms. (Wilm Star, 12-24-1939)
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994