Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994
January 12, 1933
A square dance was held at Bame‘s Hotel at Carolina Beach. The music was furnished by Potter‘s Orchestra. (Wilm News, 1-10-1933)
January 20, 1933
Plans for the construction of a 75-room brick hotel at Carolina Beach was now underway by M.C. McIver, Wilmington lumberman, to replace the Ocean View Hotel, a frame building which burned in December 1932. McIver was also mayor of the resort. The new building was to be four stories in height and was to be located on the site of the former hotel. It was to cost between $35,000 and $40,000. (Wilm News, 1-20-1933)
January 27, 1933
Twenty-five members of the forces of the Wilmington-New Hanover Relief Association were placed at work at Carolina Beach cleaning up the present streets and opening new ones. (Wilm News, 1-27-1933)
March 3, 1933
The water of the Town of Carolina Beach contained but 19 chloride parts per million, according to a water analysis report made by the N.C. Laboratory of Hygiene. This number was considered small in view of the fact that in localities near the coast it is as high as 60 or 70 parts per million. The report also classed the sediment of the water as ‘heavy’ and the color ‘slight.’ The total bacterial count per c.c. at 38 degrees was 600. (Wilm News, 3-3-1933)
March 17, 1933
Judgment forbidding the Kitty Hawk Amusement Company, operated by C.C. Collins and W.J. Cerney, to use the name ‘Carolina Beach’ for a resort near Kitty Hawk, N.C., was rendered in Wilmington by Judge N.A. Sinclair, presiding at the current civil term of the Superior Court. Action against the amusement company seeking to discontinue its use of the name was started by commissioners of the Town of Carolina Beach some time ago. The suit was not answered by either Collins, head football coach at the University of North Carolina, or Cerney, former football star. The development at Kitty Hawk was started in 1932, under the name of ‘Carolina Beach.’ The town of Carolina Beach in New Hanover County was incorporated in 1925. (Wilm News, 3-17-1933)
March 30, 1933
A.W. Pate, manager of a Raleigh hotel and owner of a large block of Carolina Beach property, through the legislature was calling for the surrender of the charter of the Town of Carolina Beach. This move would return the beach to the county. Surrender of the charter would abolish the resort‘s tax rate of $1 on $100 property. The valuation of the town was set earlier at $400,000.
Town officials in the past had found it most difficult to collect taxes with but $1,400 out of a possible $3,400 collected last year. Funds of the municipality were now in a restricted bank.
The water system of the town was owned by a private concern, the Realty Bond Company, of Winston-Salem. This firm rented the water works to the town for $1,300 a year. This rent was paid from water charges. (Wilm News, 3-31-1933; (Wilm News, 3-30-1933)
April 18, 1933 …. Federal Point
Plans for repair of the Swash Defense and New Inlet dams were started as Wilmington District army engineers opened bids on a contract to supply 400 tons of stone that will be used in the work. The Raleigh Granite Company, of Raleigh, submitted the lowest bid. It was $2.35 a ton, delivered. Work was to begin early in May. (Wilm News, 4-19-1933)
April 25, 1933
Graham Farmer of 2006 Market Street, Wilmington, was elected mayor of the Town of Carolina Beach for the ensuing two years. He succeeds M.C. McIver, local lumberman. Mr. Farmer received 67 votes to 43 for C.M. Murrin. Milton Pitman was elected commissioner of public works over Ed. F. Goodson, 56 votes to 54 votes. N.L. Mintz was elected commissioner of finance, over M.D. Armstrong, 59 votes to 57 votes. The present commissioner of finance was R.B. Shepard. The new officers were to serve two years. Carolina Beach elections were held by mail with all property owners allowed to participate. (Wilm News, 4-26-1933; Wilm Star, 4-26-1933)
May 9, 1933
A bill reducing the area within the corporate limits of the Town of Carolina Beach was passed by the N.C. Senate. The act reduced the limits of the resort town to the C.A. Becker Line, or Goldsboro Street. (Wilm News, 5-16-1933)
June 2, 1933
Thirty cottages were now under construction or have been completed within the past few weeks at Carolina Beach and prospects are that eight more will be built this summer. Mr. C.M. Murrin, former commissioner of public works, said that all boarding houses were now open and one of the largest seasons was expected this year.
Labor furnished by the Wilmington-New Hanover Relief Association had been used for the repair of the boardwalks and for cleaning up the resort town. (Wilm News, 6-2-1933)
June 5, 1933
The New Hanover County Board of Commissioners approved a beer permit application made by the Bame‘s Hotel, Carolina Beach. (Wilm News, 6-6-1933)
June 8, 1933
Pre-season dances opened at Carolina Beach with ‘Happy’ Lane and his Carolinians orchestra furnishing the music. This music group would remain until June 17th, when Eddie Poole and his orchestra would begin the official summer season at the pavilion. (Wilm News, 6-8-1933)
June 9, 1933 …. Wilmington Beach
It was announced that Mansford F. Riley will again manage the Breakers Hotel at Wilmington Beach this season. Associated with Mr. Riley was A. Schram. (Wilm News, 6-9-1933)
June 14, 1933 …. Fort Fisher
Walter Winner, sport fisherman of Fort Fisher, reported that someone had murdered several large sea turtles within the past few nights as they came up on the beach to lay their eggs between Carolina Beach and Fort Fisher. Some of the turtles had been killed by large clubs and knives. On June 13th, a party of Asheville fisherman caught a 100-pound turtle nearby. (Wilm News, 6-14-1933)
June 14, 1933
Burke H. Bridgers, relief official, reported that 132 employees of the relief association were now engaged in salt marsh mosquito control projects, chiefly in the vicinity of Carolina and Wrightsville Beaches. (Wilm News 6-15-1933)
June 16, 1933
- Ocean View Cottage – Carolina Beach
- Free Parking Space for Guests – Club Rates
- For business girls on week-ends Cool Rooms – Good Meals — Mrs. B.B. Tucker
June 16, 1933
There was now only one Carolina Beach in the State of North Carolina. The other beach located on the northern coast of the state had changed their name to ‘Kitty Hawk Beach.’ (Wilm News, 6-16-1933)
June 21, 1933
The Great Council of Red Men and the Great Council of the Degree of Pocahontas, Improved Order of Red Men of North Carolina, held their business sessions in Wilmington, and afterwards the more than 200 delegates attending left for Carolina Beach in a motorcade routed through Greenfield Park and around Community Drive. (Wilm News, 6-21-1933)
June 23, 1933
- SILVER TEA INN – Carolina Beach
- Private Booth Service
- Cottages for Rent
- At $3.00 Daily or $17.50 Weekly Dancing
- Filling Station Service
- You‘ll Like This Place. Everything New.
- Come to See Us. — H. H. Hartis, Owner
June 24, 1933
Phil J. Parish, former deputy sheriff of New Hanover County, began his job as full-time policeman at Carolina Beach, assisting W.J. Smith, police chief at the resort. Both are special deputies to Sheriff C. David Jones. (Wilm News, 6-23-1933)
June 27, 1933
- Cabaret and Roof Garden
- Dancing on the Roof of the Greystone Hotel at Carolina Beach
. Cliff Smith and his Orchestra
. Floor Show and Dancing Every Night
- Cover Charge, 90 c Couple
- City Prices for Lunches And Drinks
June 27, 1933
The water on Carolina Beach which is examined once each month by the N.C. Health Department was tested last week by a chemist from Raleigh who was in this section rechecking. He reported to the beach authorities that both the water and condition of the town water tank were found in excellent condition. The beach had for a number of years had a high rating on the purity of its water supply which is carefully watched to keep it so. (Wilm News, 6-27-1933)
June 28, 1933
The Carolina Beach Civic Club met on the beach at the home of Mrs. S.C. Ogburn. The following officers were elected: President, Mrs. Carl Powers; Vice President, Mrs. S.F. Highsmith; Secretary, Mrs. A.L. Mansfield; Treasurer, Mrs. J. Herbert Johnson, and the Ways and Means Chairman, Mrs. C.M. Murrin. A report was made on the success of the opening of the picnic pavilion, which the club had sponsored for the last two summers.
The subject of a beach chapel was discussed, and the club had made the first pledge to the chapel. It was reported that a lot on Harper Avenue had been given by W.W. Walsh, of Winston-Salem for a chapel, and the construction was to begin shortly. The next meeting was to be held at the home of Mrs. Milton Pittman. (Wilm Star, 7-2-1933)
July 2, 1933
The following real estate transfers took place last week:
- F. L. Sandel to Fannie L. Russ, lot A, block 7, Wilmington Beach.
- Commercial National Bank to J. T. Sholar, lot 4, block 7, Wilmington Beach.
- H.B. Williams to E. G. Hall, a tract of land in Federal Point Township.
- Sallie H. Herring to Rowland Noblin, lot 11, block 4, Wilmington Beach. (Wilm Star, 7-2-1933)
July 7, 1933
A survey to determine the volume of traffic over the Carolina Beach highway was being made by vehicle counters stationed at the Inland Waterway Bridge. Deputy Sheriff W. J. Smith, of Carolina Beach, declared the data would be used to have the state highway department increase the width of the road through the use of federal funds.
A total of 7,051 automobiles passed through the bridge (one way) on the Fourth of July, while the number registered last Sunday was 5,200. Other counts were to be made.
The Fourth of July crowd at the beach was estimated at 10,000 people by Deputy Smith. The recent development of the resort town was also to be used in the argument for a wider highway. Forty-two new cottages, stores and other structures had been built this season. (Wilm Star, 7-8-1933)
July 7, 1933
The final contest for the selection of Miss Carolina Beach, for participation in the state-wide beauty contest to be held at Lumina pavilion, Wrightsville Beach, July 21, was held today at the dance pavilion at Carolina Beach. Eight young ladies, winners in previous preliminary contests, participated. Miss Eloise Smith, of Raleigh, a summer resident of Carolina beach, was selected ‘Miss Carolina Beach.’ Miss Wilhelmina Dock of Wilmington was elected alternate. Eddie Poole and his orchestra provided music for the event. (Wilm Star, 7-7-1933; 7-8-1933)
July 8, 1933
G. C. Bordeaux announced that a movement to establish a church at Carolina Beach was underway and a fund of $200 had been raised for the construction of a building. The Sunday School services held at the resort had an average attendance of 75 to 100 persons. (Wilm Star, 7-9-1933)
July 10, 1933
The merchants and officials of the Town of Carolina Beach made definite plans to revive the Feast of the Pirates, a summer carnival not held in Wilmington since 1929. The plans were to set the ‘fun, frolic and friendship’ celebration for August 3,4, and 5. A fund to defray expenses of the celebration had already been started by John W. Plummer, a leading citizen of the beach resort. A future meeting was planned with Mr. F. O‘Crowley to make the plans for the celebration. Mr. O‘Crowley was one of the leaders in staging past Feasts of Pirates in Wilmington. (Wilm News, 7-11-1933)
July 11, 1933
A definite decision to stage a celebration at Carolina Beach in August modeled after the Feast of Pirates which was held in Wilmington for three years, was reached at a town meeting. W.L. Farmer, a Wilmington Attorney, was elected general chairman of the event, and he was to appoint a steering committee to assist him. Subscriptions were already started.
F.P. O‘Crowley, one of the originators of the Feast of Pirates, held in Wilmington in 1927, 1928 and 1929, and McKean Maffitt, former chairman of the Feast of Pirates, were among those who attended the meeting. Roy Fergus, George Musselman and L.T. Landen were also among the Wilmingtonians present. August 3, 4 and 5 were tentatively set as the dates of the celebration.
The name Feast of Pirates was not to be used, but the general idea of that celebration was to be adopted, including a mock invasion of pirates and a period of ensuing frolic. (Wilm Star, 7-11-1933; 7-12-1933)
July 11, 1933
Wilmington social set were greatly attracted to the new Roof Garden at the Greystone Inn at Carolina Beach. The garden presented a pretty picture with soft lights and pretty decorations. Cliff Smith and his Ohioans furnished delightfully soft, sweet music including a great deal of the tango rhythm which was most popular with the diners and dancers who visited the roof garden. Eduard Peschau was manager of the evening entertainment at the garden. Every night the tables were filled. (Wilm News, 7-11-1933)
July 15, 1933
The name, ‘Annual Pirate Carnival’, was chosen for the celebration to be held at Carolina Beach, August 3, 4, and 5.
The ‘Carnival’ will be modeled on the Feast of Pirates, held in Wilmington in 1927, 1928 and 1929. The event was expected to attract thousands of people to the resort. (Wilm Star, 7-15-1933)
July 16, 1933
The following real estate transfers took place during the past week:
- Kate Lindsey to Kathleen Wendt, lot 6, block 12, Fort Fisher Sea Beach.
- R. A. Cromwell to Lillian J. Rogers, lot 6, block 33, Carolina Beach.
- Kure Land and Development Company to Eliza J. Wooten, lots 9 and 14, block 12, Section A., Fort Fisher. (Wilm Star, 7-16-1933)
July 25, 1933
Progress was reported by the various committees in charge of arrangements for the Pirates Annual Carnival at Carolina Beach. William L. Farmer was the general chairman; A. L. Mansfield was to act as master of ceremonies; Mrs. C.M. Murrin was in charge of the baby pirate parade; Mrs. B. B. Tucker was in charge of the bathing beauty parades; Mrs. Carl Powers, of Wilmington, was in charge of the coronation exercises; W.H. Batson was in charge of the ‘sham battle’ to be waged on the ocean front; J. R. Bames was in charge of the music for the street dances.
Music was to be provided by the Greystone Roof Garden Orchestra, the State College Club Orchestra and the Hotel Breakers Buccaneers Orchestra. Fireworks were to be bring the celebration to a close on Saturday midnight, August 5th. (Wilm Star, 7-27-1933)
July 25, 1933 …. Federal Point
Repairs to be Swash Defense and New Inlet dams were expected to be completed in two weeks. Several carloads of cement and rock had been used in the work. (Wilm News, 7-25-1933)
July 28, 1933
It was announced that the two Wilmington tribes of the Improved Order of Red Men were to stage and ‘Indian Pageant’ at Carolina Beach on opening night of the three-day Pirates‘ Annual Carnival, August 5th.
The pageant will portray the capture, torture and trials of a ‘pale face’; his rescue just before the time of execution, and finally his ‘adoption’ into the tribe. Next, a log cabin will be destroyed by fire, if the winds are not too strong on the beach. The fire will be started by ‘flaming arrows’ and there would be dancing around the fire by the red men.
The participants included the following members of the Order: K. S. Mallard, Fred Newber, H.L. Herring, Cecil Robbins, Walter Player, Wm. McPherson, D.E. Murray, Roy Sellers, E.J. Todd, L.M. Todd, George T. Newton, Clyde Robinson, Jessie Mohn, Charles Hart, E. A. Yow, Joseph Barbery, A.A. Avery, George Duke, and J.R. Melton. (Wilm Star, 7-28-1933)
July 28, 1933
Construction of the Carolina Beach Community Church was started, according to S.F. Highsmith, treasurer of the building committee. The church was to be non-denominational and was the first church planned at Carolina Beach. Mr. Long, of Winston-Salem, was supervising construction. Funds for the church were raised by public subscription. The trustees of the church were Mr. Highsmith, S.G. Ogburn, Milton Pittman and M.C. McIver. (Wilm News, 7-28-1933)
July 28, 1933
The work of building a church at Carolina Beach was to be completed in about two weeks. The frame building was being erected on Fourth Avenue near Cape Fear Boulevard (Google Maps). The church was to be non-denominational and was being built with funds secured by public subscription. (Wilm Star, 7-29-1933)
July 30, 1933
The following Carolin Beach real estate transfers were made during the past week:
- J.W. Stanley to R. B. Lane, lot 19, block 50, Carolina Beach.
- Pate Hotel Company to H. M. Behrends, lot 6, block 11, Carolina Beach.
- W. W. Walsh & Co. to Mrs. M. C. Myatt, lot 4, block 75, Carolina Beach.
- William A. Cook to trustees of the Carolina Beach community church, lot 3, block 77, Carolina Beach. (Wilm Star, 7-30-1933)
July 31, 1933
A mass meeting of citizens and business interests of Carolina Beach was held in the town hall to discuss and made arrangements for the mammoth 3-day Pirates‘ Annual Carnival. R.C. Fergus, chairman of the finance committee, reported that Company I of Wilmington was to furnish soldiers to man the fort which was to be attacked and seized by the buccaneers from the pirate fleet. This attack and surrender was to open the carnival.
Mayor M. C. McIver was to formally turn over the resort to the pirate landing party who were to attack from the beach. There were to be eight highway patrolmen to furnish police protection for the citizens of the resort during the three-day celebration. There was to be a street dance every night and this was to be followed by a pirates‘ ball.
Chairman Fergus announced that all were to have the merriest time, but that no rowdyism would be tolerated. Councilman James E. L. Wade, of Wilmington, was to present the trophies to the winners of the bathing beauty contest and the baby pirate costume parade. During the intermissions at the street dances, a quartette, composed of T.A. Croom, James E.L. Wade, Wilbur Dosher and Capt. J.E. Cheek, of Company I, would sing special selections. The street dances were to be given in Carolina Beach Avenue, eastward from Bame‘s Hotel to the Carolina Bath House. Music was to be furnished by three orchestras. (Wilm Star, 7-31-1933)
September 1, 1933 …. Kure‘s Beach
A Cutlass, or scabbard fish, rarely caught on hook and line, was landed by Harry Everett, Wilmington electrician, while fishing from Kure‘s Beach pier. The fish was two feet long and about half an inch thick. The mouth was pike-shaped with sharp teeth. (Wilm Star, 9-3-1933)
September 1-2, 1933
The North Carolina Woodmen of the World held their annual two-day outing of the uniform rank at Carolina Beach. On the second day, a competitive drill was staged in front of the town hall as the closing feature of their meeting. Approximately 125 members remained for the Labor Day holiday after the camp was broken up. Companies represented at the encampment included outfits from Morehead City, Wadesboro, Salisbury, Concord, Kannapolis, Winston-Salem and High Point. General E. B. Lewis, of Kinston, state manager, was in charge. (Wilm Star, 9-3-1933)
September 3, 1933
During the last week the following real estate was transferred:
- Dr. R. J. Morrison to J. T. Allen, a tract of land at Carolina Beach.
- Pate Hotel Company to Julia A. Summerlin, lot 1, block 12, Carolina Beach. (Wilm Star, 9-3-1933)
September 8, 1933
Mrs. Beulah Tucker was hostess at her cottage, the ‘Atlanta,’ at Carolina Beach, honoring her guest, Miss Alma Goode, of Newton, with a lovely party. Bridge was played for two hours. Later a delectable course supper was served in the dining room after which the guests enjoyed dancing & music by an orchestra until 11 p.m. (Wilm Star, 9-10-1933)
September 9, 1933 …. Kure‘s Beach
The Tide Water Power Company started rebuilding its present Carolina Beach power transmission line, at an expenditure of approximately $75,000, in order to furnish power for the operation of the Ethyl-Dow Chemical Company‘s plant at Kure‘s Beach. The power company would provide approximately 18,000,000 kilowatts a year, on a load of 3,000 horsepower. The project was to be completed in 60 days, employing about 20 men. The line was to be 17 miles in length.
The plant of the Dow-Ethyl Company is now being built and when completed it was to be used to extract bromine from ocean water for conversion into commercial bromines for use in high-test gasoline. (Wilm Star, 9-10-1933)
September 10, 1933 …. Kure‘s Beach
During the past week the following real estate transfers were made:
- R.M. Piver to Lucille Moore Ferrell, tract of land in Federal Point Township.
- Pate Hotel Company to J. L. Fennell, lot 9, block 35, and lot 9, block 36, Carolina Beach.
- Thomas K. Woody to Shore Acres Company, tract of land in Federal Point Township.
- William L. Smith to Charles L. Bryant, tract of land in Federal Point Township. (Wilm Star, 9-10-1933)
September 12, 1933 …. Kure‘s Beach
The Ethyl-Dow Chemical Company sought permission from the U.S. Corps of Engineers to build an intake system and reservoir for its plant at Kure‘s Beach.
The reservoir was to be 120 by 80 feet. It was to be connected by a 175-foot intake, which extended from the eastern end of the reservoir about 25 feet into the ocean, at low tide. The intake would be 15 feet in diameter and was to be protected by ramps of piling on either side.
The water storage tank was to be located on a slight bluff and the intake system was to extend across the beach. The eastern end of the intake was to be 433 feet from the center of Route 40. The reservoir and intake were a part of the general system of the plant and was to be underway in the next several weeks. (Wilm Star, 9-13-1933)
September 17, 1933
The following real estate transfers were made during the last week:
- C. M. Murrin to M. R. Harvin, lot 20, block 48, Carolina Beach.
- C. M. Murrin to Margaret R. Murrin, lots 8 and 9, block 11, at Wilmington Beach, and lot 4, block 12, at Carolina Beach. (Wilm Star, 9-17-1933)
September 15, 1933
A tropical hurricane passed off the coast of New Hanover County. No damage of considerable nature was reported at Carolina or Wilmington beaches while the only property loss at Kure‘s Beach was two pilings from the large fishing pier owned by Lawrence Kure. (Wilm Star, 9-17-1933)
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994