Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, SCENE Magazine
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994
1932 Carolina Beach
The restaurant which was later to be known all over the State as THE LANDMARK was opened by the ‘Two Smiths known as Cliff.’ – SCENE Magazine – July 1983.
January 12, 1932
C.M. Murrin, Carolina Beach commissioner of public works, reported the construction of two beach residence and a filling station. He was also drawing plans for a real estate office to be located at the beach. Also underway was the cleaning up of the land for planting around the lake. WILM.NEWS, 1-12-1932.
March 3, 1932
C.M. Murrin, Carolina Beach commissioner of public works, reported that ten buildings within the town of Carolina Beach were now under construction and contracts for seven more had been let. The ten buildings now being constructed ranged from small cottages to stores and filling stations. More than 30 cottages and building were constructed. The Ladies Civic Club of Carolina Beach were also aiding in a general program of beautification. WILM.NEWS, 3-3-1932
March 6, 1932
A wind storm at Carolina and Kure‘s beaches inflicted many damages. Approximately 100 feet of the 500-foot fishing pier at Kure‘s Beach was broken down and swept away by the high tides and wind. The part demolished was at the end of the structure.
The Pier of the Dow Chemical Company, located near Kure‘s Beach, was also damaged.
The large sign atop the Ocean View Hotel, located on the northern part of Carolina Beach, was blown down and demolished. Several small boats were torn from their moorings but were later recovered. The high winds swept the ocean at Fort Fisher Beach. The water was four to seven feet deep around the Walter Winner house. WILM.NEWS, 3-7-1932.
March 7, 1932
The summer cottage of Donald Kelly, of 215 Ann Street, Wilmington, located in the northern section of Carolina Beach, was destroyed by fire which threatened to sweep to a nearby cottage and the Ocean View Hotel. The work of volunteer fire fighters were credited with saving other buildings. The loss was estimated at about $1,000 as all furnishings and a garage were destroyed. The building was unoccupied at the time of the fire.
The cottage of Miss Annie Kelly, located within 12 feet of the one destroyed, was scorched on the walls and roof and the furnishing damaged while being removed. A wall of the Ocean View Hotel was also scorched. WILM.NEWS, 3-8-1932.
April 18, 1932
Ocean E. George died. Born 2-23-1863. Interment in Federal Point Cemetery. His wife was Mattie M. Raynor George.
March 29, 1932
The experimental and testing station of the Dow Chemical Company was now in operation at Kure‘s Beach, N.C. R.V. Dudley was the construction engineer. WILM.NEWS, 3-29-1932
May 5, 1932 …. Federal Point
It was reported that the Corncake Inlet, the only one located between Fort Fisher and Cape Fear, was rapidly closing up. The present width was about 150 yards and a channel dept of 7 1⁄2 feet. Last year the inlet was about 225 yards in width. The dept of the channel, 40 feet wide, had also been reduced. As late as seven years earlier large fishing boats passed through the inlet enroute to and from Southport.
Corncake is located in Brunswick County although a few miles south of Fort Fisher.
The New Inlet, north of Corncake, closed during February of 1931. During the Civil War this inlet had been used by large Confederate blockade runners and was much larger than Corncake Inlet. All traces of the inlet are gone and it is now difficult to determine its former location. WILM.NEWS, 5-5-1932.
May 8, 1932
Temperatures that ranged around the 90-degree mark most of the day drove thousands of Wilmingtonians to the nearby beaches. Carolina Beach claimed the largest attendance with more than 2,000 persons driving down to the southern strand. Scores tried the water while the majority were content to sit on the sands. WILM.NESS, 5-9-1932.
May 19, 1932
The opening of Bame‘s Hotel at Carolina Beach for the 1932 season was announced today by J.R. Bame, owner/operator. Mr. Bame, who resided in Barber, N.C., near Salisbury, has personally managed the Carolina Beach hostelry for the past two seasons. WILM.NEWS, 5-19-1932.
May 19, 1932
The opening of Bame‘s hotel for the 1932 season was announced by J.R. Bame, owner and operator. Mr. Bame, who resides in Barber, N.C., near Salisbury, came to Wilm. several days ago. He said that all necessary renovations and repairs had been accomplished. Mr. Bame has personally managed the Carolina Beach hostelry for the past two seasons. WILM.NEWS, 5-19-1932.
June 11, 1932
The town of Carolina Beach, largest of the resorts at Wilmington‘s southern beaches, was called upon to defend its 50-year right to be known as the only Carolina Beach in North Carolina.
A letter pointing out the announcement of the opening on June 11th of ‘Carolina Beach, formerly the Pirate‘s Den’ by the Kitty Hawk Amusement Company, as carried in an Elizabeth City newspaper, was forwarded to the mayor and commissioners of Carolina Beach by Louis T. Moore, executive secretary of the Wilmington Chamber of Commerce.
Mr. Moore called attention to the “unjustified and endless confusion, coupled with possible diversion of traffic to which the Town of Carolina Beach is legitimately entitled,” and suggested the protest of the use of the name by the Kitty Hawk Company. WILM.STAR, 6-12-1932.
June 14, 1932
With the season well underway, nine new cottages were now under construction at Carolina Beach, C.M. Murrin, commissioner of public works, reported. Altogether, more than a score of new buildings have been erected within the limits of the resort town.
Attendance at the beach the previous Sunday numbered slightly more than 4,000 people, and parking facilities were taxed to the limit. WILM.NEWS, 6-14-1932.
June 26, 1932
With the formation of an interdenominational Sunday School at Carolina Beach, plans are now being laid for the erection of a permanent church at Carolina Beach. Grover C. Bordeaux was named superintendent of the Sunday School and Graham Farmer, Sr., treasurer. Meetings were to be held every Sunday morning at 10 a.m. at the beach pavilion.
A lot had already been donated for the church and some pledges had been made to the church fund. Two or three pastors now opened homes at the beach and they usually spent two or three weeks there each summer. WILM.NEWS, 6-28-1932.
July 4, 1932
Carolina Beach was reported as “black with people,” and hotels, inns and boarding houses were packed and jammed. Many had to find lodging in Wilmington. WILM.NEWS, 7-4-1932.
July 10, 1932
The sun‘s heat drew more than 3,000 bathers to Carolina Beach as a continuous stream of cars brought thousands of persons to enjoy the cooling breezes and surf. During the afternoon a capacity crowd jammed the pavilion to hear a musical concert by Red Hopkins and his Ten-Piece Orchestra, which was now furnishing dance music each evening except Sunday. No accidents had been reported either on the beach or highway. WILM.STAR, 7-11-1932.
August 11, 1932
The water of the town of Carolina Beach was exceptionally pure, according to an analysis received from the laboratory of the N.C. Board of Health. The source of the test water was a tap at the Batson Apartments and was collected on August 4th. WILM.NEWS, 8-11-1932.
August 31, 1932
How long had Federal Point been called Federal Point? Marsden Bellamy, Wilmington attorney, stated that deeds filed for record in the New Hanover County Courthouse, dating as far back as 1832, show that Federal Point has always been the name of the peninsula, except for the short period of time that it was known as ‘Confederate Point.’ WILM.NEWS, 8-31-1932.
September 8, 1932
The commissioners of the 50-year-old town of Carolina Beach planned to protest vigorously to the post office department and to the North Carolina local government commission against the use of the name ‘Carolina Beach’ by a resort established this year near Kitty Hawk, N.C. WILM.NEWS, 9-8-1932; WILM.STAR, 6-15-1932.
September 9, 1932
The frame cottage of C.H. Michaux at Carolina Beach was destroyed by fire. Mr. Michaux was in Raleigh but his wife and others were occupying the cottage at the time of the fire. WILM.STAR, 9-10-1932; WILM.NEWS, 9-9-1932.
September 4, 1932
Bame‘s Hotel, at Carolina Beach, was to remain open for the winter, according to J.R. Bame, hotel operator during the summer. Mr. Bame was to return to his home at Barber, N.C., but G.W. Goodson, of Rocky Mount, was to be in charge of the hotel during the winter. WILM.NEWS, 9-14-1932; WILM.STAR, 9-15-1932.
September 19, 1932 … Federal Point
The Cape Fear Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy, held its first fall meeting at the Y.W.C.A. in Wilmington.
At the meeting, blueprints and maps of the original plans of Fort Fisher made by a Confederate soldier at the fort during the war, were offered by Mrs. W.R. Bissinger as a gift to the U.D.C. Museum through the chapter, from Mrs. Julius Randolph. It was also announced that Major Reilly‘s sword would be displayed at the state convention of the U.D.C. to be held in Greensboro, N.C., October 1-14. WILM.NEWS, 9-20-1932
November 10, 1932
An effort to raise $500 to be matched with Federal Relief Funds to provide work for the 50 or more unemployed of the town of Carolina Beach and Federal Point was now underway by the town‘s commissioners. If the money was obtained it was to be handled though the central relief committee in Wilmington.
It was pointed out that it was impractical for residents of Carolina Beach to go to Wilmington to work on relief projects. They would receive but $1 per day and the cost of transportation was about 50 cents. It was planned to put the unemployed to work cleaning up the beach and opening up streets. The resort town had a winter population of 95 people. WILM.NEWS, 11-10-1932.
December 26, 1932
The Ocean View Hotel, the largest resort hotel at Carolina Beach, was destroyed by fire of undetermined origin, with a loss of more than $36,000 to M.C. McIver, owner of the hotel and mayor of the town.
Mrs. J.N. Napier had served as the manager for the past two years. No one was occupying the 3-story, 50-room frame structure, located slightly north of the center of the town. A change in the wind probably saved nearby cottages from destruction. The cottage of A.L. Mansfield, of Faison, N.C., near the hotel, was scorched and the roofing melted. Mr. McIver declared that he planned to replace the hotel with a larger one of brick construction. WILM.NES, 12-26-1932.
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994