News Articles – 1925

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

January 2, 1925
Capt. Edgar D. Willlams, who had taken an active interest in the perpetuation of the historic Fort Fisher, appeared before the county commissioners for the purpose of requesting an appropriation of not over $200 to mark the spot where the federal forces landed at Kure‘s Beach just before the capitulation of Fort Fisher. Capt.

Williams stated that “the largest attacking army that was ever landed on the Atlantic coast of the United States was landed at Kure‘s Beach from 13 army transports.” This landing of the troops was effected while 54 federal ships were bombarding Fort Fisher. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 1-2-1925.

 

February 23, 1925
A bill authorizing the incorporation of Carolina Beach and naming the new municipality‘s commissioners has been introduced in the lower house of the general assembly by Rep. James E.L. Wade. Its passage would give the southern beach the same status as Wrightsville Beach in this connection.

Parker Quince Moore, former mayor of Wilmington; his son, Maurice Moore, well-known businessman and John W. Plummer, former ice cream manufacturer were named as the commissioners in the Wade measure of incorporation. All three men own property on the beach, the elder Mr. Moore having extensive holdings there. Approximately 50 property owners of that section signed the petition. WILM.STAR, 2-3-1925; 2-23-1925.

 

March 16, 1925
Real Estate Transfer:

  • W. Harvey Allen and wife of Pitt County, to W. A Darden and R. G. Graddy, lot 19 in block 27, Carolina Beach. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 3-17-1925.

 

March 20, 1925
The road from the Fort Fisher highway to Carolina Beach had been hard-surfaced and was now open to traffic. Work of continuing the road from the beach south along the shore as far as possible before summer traffic intervenes is now in progress. The road has been finished with local rock and later will be treated with a tar covering. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 3-20-1925; 2-27-1925.

The road when finally completed will extend from the loop road to the fort. All the work was being done by the county under the direction of R.A. Burnerrt. Rock for the foundation had to be hauled from the other end of the county, near Castle Haynes. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 2-7-1925.

 

March 31, 1925
Two tracks of land in Federal Point Township, formerly occupied by white and colored schools and no longer in use to the board of education, were offered for sale. The first site, formerly the white school, contained three acres and as located on the bank of the Cape Fear River at Nancy Grissom‘s corner. The other, used for a negro school, was a tract of one and a half acres on the Federal Point Road. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 3-31-1925.

 

March 31, 1925
Federal Point School land for sale – formerly a white school, 3 acres of land, lying on the bank of the Cape Fear River at Nancy Grissom‘s corner. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 3-31-1925.

 

April 21, 1925
A deed was filed in the office of registrar of deeds of New Hanover County transferring 1.100 acres of land from Maurice M. Moore, son of the former Wilmington Mayor Parker Quince Moore, to the Carolina Beach Corporation, the financial consideration being $15,000. E.D. Turner and W.W. Walsh, of Winston-Salem, real estate dealers, were said to be the principal parties interested in the new corporation. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 4—21-1925.

 

May 2, 1925
Capt. Thomas Gray Burriss, 82, died in his home at Southport,. He was a retired river pilot.

He was born in New Hanover County but his service on the waters of the Cape Fear brought him to Southport where for many years he has lived. For many years he was a deacon in the Baptist church. He was survived by his wife and five children: Mrs. Ludwig Leiner of Wilmington, Mrs. W.G. Butler and Fred Burris of Southport; J.W. Burriss, of Jacksonville, FL, and Alvin Burriss, of Mulberry, FL. He enjoyed his many grandchildren.

 

June 10, 1925
The Greystone Inn, the leading hotel at Carolina Beach, was formally opened. Miss Bessie Styles, who had formerly been engaged in the operation of a hotel at Gainesville, GA, was to be in charge of the Greystone. The Inn had been remodeled and the interior was greatly improved, the walls having been calcimined. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 6-4-1925; 6-10-1925.

 

June 11, 1925
The formal opening of Carolina Beach, ‘the beach you can reach by automobile,’ featured an opening dance in the remodeled pavilion with music by the ‘Southern Collegians,’ of the University of North Carolina. This was announced by J.C. Gilbert, manager of the Carolina Beach Corporation.

Flashlight pictures of the dancers and the crowd in the pavilion were taken, with the view of preserving these to mark the new era of prosperity for Carolina Beach.

A large number of guests dined at Greystone Inn at Carolina Beach and others dined at The Breakers, at Wilmington Beach, just south of Carolina Beach. Reservations at both hotels were on the increase. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 6-12-1925; 6-11-1925.

 

June 29, 1925
The contract was let by the Carolina Beach Corporation for the construction of six cottages at Carolina Beach. The Carolina Beach Corporation had plans to erect 20 additional cottages at the resort in the near future.
L.T. Rogers, contractor, had the contract for the six cottages. The lumber was being furnished by Thomas O‘Berry, saw mill operator, of Wilmington. The plumbing was to be installed by W.W. Wall, Wall & Co., A different style of architecture was to be used in each house. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 6-29-1925.

 

July 10, 1925
Clifton Adams, an official photographer of the National Geographic Magazine, was visiting in Wilmington for the purpose of securing photographic views throughout New Hanover County offering historical and resort interest.  Mr, Adams visited several places, including the new development of Carolina Beach. While at the beach he photographed fishermen with fine catches of game fish and views of bathing beauties on the beach.

After his visit to the beach, he headed for old Fort Fisher where he secured several pictures of the old fort. Mr. Adams was very pleased with his visit. WILM.STAR, 7-10-1925.

 

July 19, 1925
With a line of cars parked on both sides of the boulevard that runs from the main road to the water‘s edge, Carolina Beach enjoyed a patronage that excelled anything in the history of that popular resort. From early morning until late in the afternoon, a steady stream of cars was headed toward this, Wilmington‘s most southern playground. All bath houses were taxed to their capacities and the surf was never better for those who wished to play tag with the waves. Those who did not care to ride the waves were entertained with an excellent concert by the Southern Collegians. This splendid orchestra was playing every night at the pavilion and gave a concert every Sunday afternoon. WILM.STAR, 7-20-1925.

 

August 26, 1925
Miss Josephine Rehder, a very talented dancer, in a very pleasing manner interpreted ‘Dreams’ at Carolina Beach for one of the most enthusiastic and admiring audiences ever assembled for such an occasion.

It appeared to be dancers‘ night at Carolina Beach, for Misses Beryl Cooper and Dorothy Mallard were among the spectators and their presence added interest to the crowd, although neither of them performed. WILM.STAR, 8-27-1925.

 

August 28, 1925
Miss Mary Edith Schulken was hostess at a delightful party for twenty young guests at her cottage on Kure Beach which was decorated beautifully with cut flowers. Music and dancing was enjoyed and during the evening iced watermelon was served. Five older people served as chaperones. WILM.STAR, 9-2-1925.

 

September 4, 1925
The Carolina Beach Corporation sponsored ‘Wilmington Night’ at the beach. WILM.STAR, 9-2-1925.

 

September 4, 1925
This was ‘Wilmington Night’ at Carolina Beach. The evening was featured by two dance interpretations by Miss Dorothy Mallard, one of Wilmington‘s most accomplished and talented young dancers. She had been invited to perform in the pavilion by the Carolina Beach Corporation. She performed a toe dance of the most difficult kind, and her second dance was a fancy dance which took the crowd by storm and there was great applause. WILM.STAR, 9-5-1925.

 

September 4, 1925
Miss Dorothy Mallard, young talented dancer of Wilmington, was to perform at Carolina Beach as it was ‘Wilmington Night’ at the beach. The officials of the beach corporation held this night to show their appreciation to the people of the city for their support this season. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 9-4-1925.

 

September 5, 1925
Dr. D.P. High, of Winter Park, prominent dentist with offices in the Murchison Bank Building, was drowned 200 or more yards off shore at a point 2 1⁄2 miles off Carolina Beach. The body was recovered a short time later. Dr. High was swimming with Herman Lennon, a young man, and they were attempting to swim out to an old wreck beyond the reef which was a considerable distance from shore.

Two small sons of Dr High witnessed the downing of their father. One son ran to Carolina Beach seeking help. Charlie Davis and Richard and Walter Burnett set out for the scene, carrying inflated rubber tubes used by life guards. They arrived too late and located the body and brought it to shore. Young Lennon was found on the beach in a semi-conscious condition. Drs. Julian Moore, Graham and Elliott all arrived on the scene and attempted to resuscitate the victim but to no avail. A considerable quantity of water was forced out of his lungs. Sheriff George C. Jackson was notified of the drowning, and Coroner Allen was contacted to remove the body. WILM.STAR, 9-6-1925

 

September 5, 1925
John W. Plummer was elected mayor of Carolina Beach. Parker Quince Moore, several times mayor of Wilmington, was elected to the office of Commissioner of Public Works, and his son, Maurice H. Moore, was named to the office of Commissioner of Finance.

Carolina Beach was incorporated with the passage of a bill through the last session of the N.C. General Assembly. Messrs. Moore and Mr. Plummer were named commissioners of the new municipality. They did not get together for organization until today when the three met. As mayor, Mr. Plummer is Commissioner of Public Safety. WILM.STAR, 9-6-1925.

 

September 7, 1925
Carolina Beach came to an official close at midnight. To greet the event there was a masked ball, the first in the history of the beach. More than 1,000 people paid admissions at the pavilion. Another feature of the evening was the ‘Doll Dance,’ interpreted by Miss Dorothy Mallard. She was a young and talented artist who performed in a real professional form. At the masked ball there was lots of confetti, colorful and crazy hats together with some beautiful costumes.

Although the pavilion was officially closed the next day, there were still many visitors remaining at the beach for more than a month. The ‘Southern Collegians’ who were so very popular at Carolina Beach during the season were to leave on the 8th for Florence, S.C., and later on to Florida for the winter. The orchestra originated at Greenville, S.C. about four years earlier. WILMINGTON STAR, 9-8-1925.

 

September 7, 1925
The 1925 season at Carolina Beach came to a close. The lessees, S.G. Ogburn, president, and Mr. Turner, secretary, and T.E.Kapp, all of Winston-Salem, N.C. were present for the formal closing. On the closing night the mask ball was considered a great success and the dance pavilion was filled to its capacity. ‘The Southern Collegians’ orchestra ended their engagement and left for Florence, S.,C. and from there to Florida. Miss Dorothy Mallard performed during the evening as a feature event. She danced the ‘Doll Dance’ which was warmly received by the crowd. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 9-8-1925.

 

September 21, 1925
Addison Hewlett, Sr., chairman of the New Hanover Board of County Commissioners, forecased that tourists next summer will be able to reach historic Fort Fisher and the beaches over hard surfaced roads. Work was to begin during the winter allowing ample time for completion before the opening of Wilmington and Fort Fisher beaches next summer. WILM.STAR, 9-22-1925.

 

October 6, 1925
The Pilot Real Estate Company with headquarters in Winston-Salem opened offices in Wilmington at 206 Princess Street, the present quarters of the Carolina Beach Corporation. E.D. Turner, president of the Pilot Company, stated that his concern had obtained the exclusive rights to sell the lots of the Carolina Beach Corporation. A staff of salesmen had already begun making sales. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 10-6-1925.

 

October 14, 1925
They were requested to dance as they never danced before and they did. Carolina Beach was the center of attraction when Miss Dorothy Brittan, dancing with W.S. Creasy won the loving cup which carried with it the dancing honors of Carolina Beach for the season of 1925. Both were from Wilmington. About 800 people thronged the dancing pavilion to witness the first championship dance ever held at the beach.

David Sinclair, assisted by Misses Erskin Jarnigan of Atlanta, and Anne Benson of Richmond, acted in the capacity of judges for the occasion. The contest was an elimination affair and all couples were retired from the floor except Miss Lillian Cumber, who was dancing with George Britt and Miss Adelaide Wagner, dancing with J.B..Lewis. The three couples were put through a grueling contest before the final decision was made. WILM.,STAR, 10-15-1925.

 

October 27, 1925
A contract for a summer hotel at Carolina Beach was awarded to W.A. Simon, contractor, of Wilmington. The hotel was to be three stories high and it was to have 100 rooms. It was to be located just west of the fresh water lake. In addition to the hotel, a large garage will be built. Both were to be completed in time for the 1926 season.

One of the features of the hotel will be its location on what was said to be the only fresh water lake situated within a stone‘s throw of the ocean. The lake was to be deepened and beautified. The hotel was being erected by Carolina Beach, Inc., a company with offices in Wilmington. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 10-27-1925; WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 7-10-1925.

 

October 29, 1925
Real Estate Transfers:

  • Carolina Beach Corporation to C.R. Ames, a lot in Carolina Beach, $1,000 WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 10-30-1925.
  • George P. Clark to Carolina Beach Corporation, a lot at Carolina Beach, $500. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 10-30-1925.

 

September 5, 1925
Carolina Beach became an incorporated town on this date, and John W. Plummer, a commissioner of public safety, assumed office as the first mayor of the resort. The other officers were: Parker Quince Moore, former mayor of Wilmington, commissioner of public works, and Maurice H. Moore, commissioner of finance.

Mayor Plummer stated that the first thing that would be considered by the administration was the employment of a police officer. He added that the lighting system would be improved, including the installation of a power line from Wilmington to the resort, and also that board walks would be installed. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 9-7-1925.

 

October 29, 1925
Real Estate Transfers:

  • J.C. Pretlow and L.A. Bangle both bought building lots at Carolina Beach from Carolina Beach Corporation. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH 10-30-1925.
  • Carolina Beach Corporation to J.B. White and wife, lot 5 in block 45, consideration $300. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 11-12-1925.
  • George L. Farmer and wife to E.F. Williams and wife, property at Carolina Beach for $100 and other considerations WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 11-12-1925.
  • Carolina Beach Corporation to L.W. Garrell, lot 6 in block 81; consideration $250. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH,11-13-1925.
  • Carolina beach Corporation to Walker Taylor, Jr. lot 16 in block 50, consideration $350. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 11-13-1925.
  • Carolina Beach Corporation to E.H. Westerfield, lot 5-A in block 52, for $10 and other considerations. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 11-13-1925.
  • Carolina Beach Corporation to Mrs. Bessie D. Brinson, lot 5 in block 97; consideration $250. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 11-13-1925.
  • Carolina Beach Corporation to C.F.Jones, lot 21 in block 61; consideration $300. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 11-13-1925.

 

December 4 1925
Emmett H. Bellamy and W.A. Deas, receivers, transferred approximately 450 acres on Mainland beach, known as Wilmington Beach, to L.W. Davis, of Wilmington and E.C. Persons of Pikeville, N.C. for $26,000. The transfer of the property took in everything on Wilmington Beach, excluding lots owned by individuals and the Wilmington Beach Hotel. The two new owners had other interests in the vicinity.
WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 12-5-1925.

 

December 7, 1925
Real Estate Transfers:

  • Carolina Beach Corporation to Miss Eunice Brown, lot 2 in block 84, Carolina Carolina Beach Corporation to J.F. Collum, lot 12 in block 84 – Carolina Beach; $500. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 12-8-1925.

 

December 7, 1925
The foundation for the 100-room beach hotel being constructed by the Carolina Beach Corporation by W.A. Simon, contractor, of Wilmington, has practically been completed. L.D. Boney was the architect for the building. The hotel was to be a frame building and modern in every respect.

The lake near the hotel was to be dredged beginning about December 15th. The developer wants to build a wall around the lake and construct a walk around same. The streets to the hotel were being graded and paved.

S.C. Ogbourne, of Winston Salem, president of the Carolina Beach Corporation, had purchased the Laughlin home, on lots 3 and 4, Cape Fear Boulevard, and was making this his summer home. He had previously acquired the property occupied by the Vollers cottage.

The Carolina Beach Corporation now had offices in Greensboro, High Point, Winston-Salem, Wilmington, and soon in Fayetteville and Columbia, S.C. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 12-7-1925.

 

December, 1925  
Real Estate Transfers:

  • Carolina Beach Corporation to George L. Long, lots 3 and 4 in block 95; $1,000. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 12-8-1925.
  • Carolina Beach Corporation to Miss NellieC. Howard, lot 3 in block 101; consideration $500. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 12-8-1925.
  • Carolina Beach Corporation to W.E. Tomlinson, lot 2 in bock 99, for $500. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 12-8-1925.
  • Carolina Beach Corporation to W. Morgenroth, several lots in block 126 and 127 $2,000. WILMINGTON NEWS DISPATCH, 12-8-1925.
  • Carolina Beach Corporation to C.W. Fulford, lot 7 in block 9, Carolina Beach ; $500. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 12-8-1925.
  • Carolina Beach Corporation to Ruby W. Peirson, lots 2 and 3 in block 41, Carolina Beach, $1,500. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 12-8-1925.

 

December 7, 1925
The foundation for the 100-room beach hotel was under construction by the Carolina Beach Corporation by W.A. Simon, contractor, of Wilmington, and it has almost been completed. It is a frame structure. L. Boney was the architect. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 12-7-1925.

 

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994