News Articles – 1924

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

c. 1924 .
U.A. Underwood was the contractor for ‘The Breakers’ hotel at Wilmington Beach. 57 rooms in 57 days.

 

March 9, 1924 …. Wilmington Beach
The contract for a 60-room Breakers Hotel at Wilmington Beach, on the Federal Point Road, was let for $60,000 to U.A.Underwood, Inc. It was to occupy a site 200 by 250 feet. The officers of the Mainland Beach Hotel Company, projectors of the new enterprise, were E. Cooper of Pikeville, president; L.W.Davis vice-president; and C.C. Chadbourn, secretary-treasurer, both of Wilmington. Plans called for the opening in June. WILM.STAR. 3-9-1924.

 

April 5, 1924
R.M. Kermon announced that he had leased Carolina Beach Pavilion and would operate it with full resort conveniences and features during the summer beginning June 1st. He planned to install a high class jazz orchestra, put a bath house at the pavilion, and furnish light and water service to patrons, the plant to be put in good shape.

Mr. Kermon was also to operate his Union Bath House at Wrightsville Beach and manage the Academy of Music in Wilmington, both of which he controlled. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 4-5-1924.

 

April 23 1924
R.M. Kermon, lessee at Carolina Beach resort this season, leased the pavilion to Harry Shannon, of Wapaconeta, Ohio, who owned a good orchestra which had enjoyed a winning road attraction during the past winter. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 4-23-1924.

 

May 3, 1924
R.M. Kermon, lessee of the Carolina Beach property had a force of workmen engaged in cleaning up the beach preparatory to the season‘s opening today. The waterworks and lighting plant had been put in good condition and all bad spots in the boardwalks repaired. The official opening of the beach was to be on May 30th, one day in advance of the official opening at Wrightsville Beach. Dance and concert music was to be furnished by Harry Shannon‘s 7-piece orchestra. WILM.STAR, 5-1-1924.

 

May 26, 1924
The Carolina Beach Orchestra, led by Harry Shannon, Jr., was to entertain the beach visitors this season. The members of the orchestra included: Harry Shannon, Jr., owner, manager and trap drummer; W.T. Hamilton, business manager and press agent; ‘Tiny’ Paul Jackson, trumpet and coach horn; Charles Knost, trumpet and saxophone; J. Bradford Smith, trombone, French horn and saxophone; Ed Simpkins, banjo and saxophone; Les DeBard, saxophone and clarinet; L.D. Race, piano and organ; Sam Pucket, bass and trombone. They were the ‘Bunch with a Punch,’ tan wizards of jazz. Before going to the Beach, they entertained at the New Victoria Theater in Wilmington for four days. WILM.STAR, 5-26-1924.

 

June 5, 1924
The Greystone Inn opened at Carolina Beach for the new season. A.W. Pate of Wilson, N.C. and his wife will be the managers. Mr. Pate was well known in the Wilmington area where for 16 years he had been in the local real estate business. R.R. Roscoe of Danville, VA, an experienced caterer was to have complete charge of the hotel‘s dining room.

Mr. Pate was a big booster for Wilmington and her beaches. He had said, “No other seaport town has such a great opportunity of development along resort lines, both winter and summer, as has Wilmington, and I am glad to do my part toward making Wilmington and her beaches known all over America, a Mecca for the tourist, the tired businessman and the summer vacationist.” WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 6-3-1924.

 

June 8, 1924
Real Estate Transfer:

  • New Hanover Transit Company to C.A. Baker, of Dunn, N.C., lot 14 in block 48, Carolina Beach, for $100 and other considerations. WILM.NEWS DISPATCH, 6-9-1924.

 

June 30, l924
It was announced that Carolina Beach was progressing and coming into its own. The new bathhouse was thoroughly modern and the Sea Food Café was now open and a general merchandise store and café was also open. The Greystone Inn, operated by Mr. and Mrs. A.W Pate had been thoroughly modernized and the J.W. Plummer soft drink stand and confectionery shop was now open at all hours. WILM.STAR, 6-30-1924.

 

August 22, 1924
A five-piece orchestra was now furnishing music at the Carolina Beach pavilion and it was fast playing itself into popular favor. Besides using popular numbers, the orchestra was using semi-classical dance numbers which were going over well. The members of the orchestra were Gordon Smith, drum and traps; William Hancamon, violin and trumpet; Bob Morris, trombone; Junius Smith, Ed and C Soprano sax; and William Murphy, piano and trombone. Crowds were beginning to again throng the floor of the dance pavilion. WILM.STAR, 8-22-1924.

 

September 11, 1924
Capt. William St. George, 69, a veteran Cape Fear pilot, died at his home in Southport. He was born in Federal Point Township, New Hanover County, and passed practically his entire life in the service as a pilot. Funeral from the Trinity Methodist Church, Southport. Survivedy by his wife and three daughters, Mrs. W.H. Stone and Mrs. J.E. Vereen of Little river, S.C. and Mrs. P.M. Snell, of Wilmington and one son, Wm. S. St. George, of Southport. WILM.STAR, 9-17-1924.

 

December 8, 1924
Col. Charles H. Consolvo, of Norfolk, VA, owner of the Hotel Belvedere in Baltimore, the Hotel Jefferson in Richmond, and the Hotel Monticello in Norfolk, and his hotel manager, W.P. Quinn, of Baltimore, visited Wilmington and were interested in some proposed developments in the Federal Point area near Wilmington Beach.

Charles E. Hooper and Frank Gregerson, operators of the Hotel Orton in Wilmington and The Breakers at Wilmington Beach, guided the two visiting hotel men on a motor trip for their inspections of development sites. Col. Consolvo was a great friend of Col. William P. Lamb, commander of the Confederate forces at Fort Fisher during the War-Between-the States. He was very much interested in the tablet that had been erected at Fort Fisher mounds in memory of Colonel Lamb and the defenders of the historic fort. 12-9-1924.

 

December 11, 1924
Addison Hewlett, chairman of the board of county commissioners, announced that work would probably be started next week on improving Carolina Beach road from the Greenville loop to the resort. The county commissioners were inspecting some rock in the vicinity of Carolina Beach, and it was planned to use this rock for the foundation of the Carolina Beach road, the topping materials to be obtained from the county rock quarry at Castle Hayne. WILMNGTON DISPATCH, 12-11-1924

 

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994