News Articles – 1921

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

April 3, 1921
Carolina Beach for the third time within the past few years had changed hands. This time, H. Turberville, a Washington amusement owner and promoter, had leased the beach, dancing pavilion, Greystone Inn and a number of cottages and he promised to make the resort a real ‘children‘s playground,’ summer resort and all round good place to spend summer months.

Mr. Turberville had a wide experience throughout the country in managing amusements parks. He planned to intersperse the regular nightly dances with cabaret entertainments with a real jazz outfit. The new lessee planned to have a Japanese roof garden at the Greystone Inn and he said he would have an orchestra will play at the Inn during all meals. WILM.DISPATCH, 4-3-1921

 

June 4, 1921
A cabaret was held for the opening of the Blue Bird Café at Carolina Beach. Present for the occasion were forty or more invited guests, among whom were Lieut. Governor W.B.Cooper, Wilmington Mayor James H. Cowan, C. Beach, Commissioner of Finance J.E. Thompsoin, and Fire Chief Charles Schnibben, of Wilmington. Percy W. Wells, of the Howard-Wells Amusement Company, presided. WILM.DISPATCH. 6-5-1921

 

June 6, 1921
A Charlotte, N.C. syndicate was considering the establishment of a bus line between Wilmington and Carolina Beach. Already one large bus, with a carrying capacity of 20 persons, had been purchased and was about to be shipped. It was stated that the bus had been used on the roads between Gastonia and Lincolnton and had proved very satisfactory. The bus had air tires and was very good on the road. WILM.DISPATCH, 6-6-1921

 

June 11, 1921
The passenger steamer MERCUR, recently purchased and rebuild by the Wilmington-Southport Steamboat Company, was put on regular schedule, augmenting the schedule that the steamer WILMINGTON had been making between Wilmington,, Southport and Carolina Beach pier.

The MERCUR was capable of carrying 100 passengers and was to be used chiefly in maintaining the schedules between Wilmington and Carolina Beach pier. Captain Manson announced that she could be chartered on any day for fishing trips to sea or to the locks and dams on the upper Cape Fear River. WILM.DISPATCH, 6-12-1921.

 

June 12, 1921
The City Taxi Company, located in the garage of MacMillan & Cameron, Wilmington, inaugurated a taxi cab service deluxe to Carolina Beach in which Cadillac, Packard and Hudson cars were to be driven by careful and experienced drivers.

The City Taxi Company had been operating taxi cabs for several years and was regarded by all patrons as furnishing both safe and comfortable service. As the beach season progresses more taxi cabs will be added. WILMDISPATCH, 6-12-1921

 

June 29, 1921
H. Turberville‘s Carolina Beach had a gala night at the pavilion. Prevost‘s Broadway Blue Boys‘ Orchestra were in good form and the work of the violinist, Mr. Prevost, and the saxophone player, Henri Bourassa, showed them to be real artists.

Miss Montrose, Miss Fahrer and Alvin Drake, the principals in the ‘Revue of Revues’ supported by a chorus, gave and agreeable entertainment, and Harry Turberville and his colleagues in the pavilion were thanked by many patrons for providing merriment and life at Carolina Beach. WILM.DISPATCH, 6-30-1921.

 

July 26, 1921
After a long spell of the most damaging weather, the resort at Carolina Beach was in flull bloom again. The new orchestra known as the ‘Blue and Gold Melody Boys,’ were full of pep and melody. The boys were versatile both as singers and musicians. The management was relieved that the ‘Revue of Revues’ was no longer connected with the beach and the girls had left for other points. Mr. Maddis and Mr. Schenicker no longer had an interest or connection in any way with the beach. The patrons were now promised the best of entertainment, with novelties and real music. WILM.DISPATCH, 7-26-1921

 

August, September, 1921
Real Estate Transfers:

  • Carolina Beach Railway Company to A.T. Blake, lots 6 and 7 in block C of the central section of Carolina Beach, for $100 and other considerations.
  • R.A. Turlington and wife to D.J. Rose, a lot 50 X 150 feet on Carolina Beach Avenue, Carolina Beach, for $750. WILM.STAR, 8-3-1921
  • Carolina Beach Railway Company to R.F. Zeigler, lot 4 in block 69 of Carolina Beach, for $100 and other considerations. WILM.STAR, 8-9-1921
  • James S. Williams and wife to G.W. Trask and wife, lots 5 and 6 in block 29 of the southern section of Caroline Beach, for $100 and other considerations. WILM.STAR, 8-14-1921
  • Carolina Beach Railway Company to A.H. Williams and wife, lots 8, 9, and 10 in block D of Carolina Beach, for $100 and other valuable consideration. WILM.STAR, 8-18-1921
  • New Hanover Transit Company to J.M. Stachwell, lot 1 in block 25 of the southern section of Carolina Beach, for $100 and other considerations. WILM.STAR, 8-24-1921
  • New Hanover Transit Company to C.L. Dickinson and wife, lot 4-A in block 30 of the southern section of Carolina Beach, for $100 and other considerations WILM.STAR, 8-27-1921
  • C.,L. Dickinson and wife to H. J. Haffe and H. Evenson, same lot as above, for $100 and other valuable considerations. WILM.STAR, 8-27-1921
  • Frank A. Bond and wife to C.D. Gilbert and wife, lot 1 in block 8, of Kure property at Carolina Beach, Federal Point Township, for $100 and other considerations. WILM.STAR, 9-9-1921
  • G.W. Mathews and wife to W.P. Marshall, C.S. Hill and William M. Hill, lots 3 and 3 in block D, Carolina Beach, for 5100 and other valuable considerations. WILM.STAR, 9-22-1921
  • Carolina Beach Railway Company to Dr. O. L. Ray, lot 1 in block 74 of the central section of Carolina Beach, for $100 and other considerations. WILM.STAR, 9-27-1921

 

August 3, 1921
The winners at the Prize Dance at the Carolina Beach pavilion were Mrs. J.J. McCartney and H.C. Russ for the prize waltz, while honors in the prize fox trot were carried off by Mr. and Mrs. Leo H. Lupton. WILM.STAR, 8-5-1921

August 4, 1921
The Carolina Beach management announced that in the future where would be no charge for admission to the pavilion and that the only fees collected will be a nominal charge for dancing and services. WILM.STAR, 8-5-1921

 

October 22, 1921
There was discussion about the construction of a long pier out over the Atlantic Ocean at Fort Fisher Beach providing fishermen and sportsmen with a veritable garden of fish. The owners of the property were giving it favorable consideration.

Plans were to construct the pier near the present fishing ‘shack’ near the Fort Fisher mound. WILMINGTON DISPATCH, 10-23-1921

 

October 29, 1921
F.B., Harrah, the new manager of the Ideal Laundry Company, landed a ‘whale’ of a drum fish at Wilmington Beach. He was in the company of M.E. Longley and U.A. Underwood while fishing. The drum weighed 34 pounds. He used an ordinary surf rod with heavy reel carrying about 150 yards of line baited with mullet. WILM.DISPATCH, 10-31-1921

 

October 30, 1921
A 41-pound drum was landed at Kure‘s Beach by C.D. Gilbert. Mr. Gilbert said the fish was a monster and it gave him a good time beaching it. This was one of the largest caught during the season. WILM.DISPATCH, 10-31-1921

 

October 30, 1921
Capt. Edgar S. Williams was planning for the erection of two permanent markers at old Fort Fisher to recognize the historic importance of the property for future generations. One marker was to be placed at the site of the battle time headquarters, which stood about 60 yards to the south of the northeast salient, and about 50 yards of the sea face.

The inscription will read: “Here stood the headquarters of Fort Fisher. The construction of the fort began in the summer of 1862, under the directions of Colonel William Lamb, commandant, who with Gen. W.H. Whiting and Major Reilly served until the fort was captured on January 15, 1865. Each of the bombardments by the federal fleet on December 24-25, 1864 and January 13-15, 1965, was heavier than any other naval demonstration in the history of the world. In the January attack were engaged 58 warships, which landed an army of 10,000 men. Fort Fisher protected against federal opposition a large and important foreign trade in war supplies necessary to the existence of the Confederacy.”

The second marker was to be placed near the site of the ‘Mound,’
in the southeast corner. The inscription will read: “Near this point a flag staff of Fort Fisher which was shattered by a federal shell on December 24, 1864.”

A new staff was erected and Private Christopher C. Bland, of the 36th N.C. regiment, volunteered during the heavy bombardment, to replace the flag. It was again shot down, and Bland once more climbed the staff and attached the colors. WILM.DISPATCH, 10-30-1921

 

November 2, 1921
C.H. Borneman, a well known fisherman, landed a shark at Kure‘s Beach that weighted 85 pounds. It measured 6 1⁄2 feet long and it took 35 minutes to land the fish. It was landed with a rod and reel, number 15 lines and a number 4 hook. Mr. Borneman said he had caught several sharks lately, most about 5 feet in length, weighing around 25 pounds each. WILM.DISPATCH, 11-3-1921

 

November 18, 1921
Capt. Edgar S. Williams announced that a sufficient amount of money has been subscribed to the fund for the erection of a marker upon the site of old Fort Fisher. The contract for the construction of the monument was given to the Carolina Cut Stone Company of this city. It is hoped that the marker will be ready for dedication Christmas Day, the 56th anniversary of the first bombardment of Fort Fisher by the Federal fleet.

The marker will be placed on the Mound on which has been placed a flag-staff, and which is commonly known as ‘The Angle.’ Capt. Williams has been tireless in his efforts to have properly recognized the wonderful history attached to the rise and fall of Fort Fisher. The Rotary Club have been generous in their support of the drive for a marker. WILM.DISPATCH, 11-18-1921

 

December 5, 1921
E.D. Craig, Wilmington businessman, died in James Walker Memorial Hospital. He was born at Federal Point, New Hanover County, January 25, 1862. He had spent virtually all his life in Wilmington. He was a member of the Odd Fellows and Woodmen of the World, He was also an honored member of the board of stewards of Fifth Avenue Methodist Church. Survived by his mother; three brothers, S.F., J.J. and C.W. Craig, and five sisters. Interment in the Oakdale Cemetery, Wilmington. WILM.STAR, 12-6-1921

 

December 20, 1921
Jesse J. Craig, 53, well known plumber of Wilmington, died at this home, 623 S. 6th St. He was born at Federal Point, October 8, 1868, and virtually all his 53 years were spent in New Hanover County. He was a member of the Fifth Avenue Methodist Church, and a number of fraternal organizations. Funeral from his church and interment in Oakdale Cemetery, Wilmington. WILM.STAR, 12-21-1921

 

December 15, 1921
A mortgage foreclosure sale was held at the New Hanover County Courthouse to sell Lot 2 in Block 21 of the northern section of the plan of Carolina Beach, plotted by J.L. Becton, June-September, 1913, registered in New Hanover County Deed Book 73, pages 32-33. The original mortgage deed was between D.M. Harrelson and wife to G.K. Patterson and B.R. Morrison. The lot was on the east side of Carolina Beach Avenue north where it intersects the northern line of Tenth Avenue north. WILM.DISPATCH, 11-22-1921

 

December 29, 1921
The big granite stone marker, which was to be placed on the ramparts of old Fort Fisher to mark the spot of the Confederate stronghold, had been completed and Capt. Edgar D. Williams planned for its erection in the near future.

It was planned that the dedicatory exercises would be held on January 15, which was the 57the anniversary of the terrible bombardment by Admiral Porter‘s fleet, and the subsequent surrender of the fort. The stone marker was to be placed near the Mound, which was the northeast salient of the fort. It was to be to the left of the loop road that has been completed around the Mound.

 

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994