News Articles – 1909

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

March 3, 1909
Mr. Walter Sprunt made a trip to Carolina Beach in his Maxwell automobile and it was stated that this was the first touring car to reach that point. WILM.DISP, 3-4-1909.

 

June 20, 1909
(advertisement) VISIT FISHER‘S RESTAURANT at Carolina Beach.
Daily menu: Pig fish, boiled or broiled trout, clam fritters, clam chowder, also stewed oysters, steamed or half shelled. Shrimp in all styles. Eggs in every style. Spring chicken, ham, assorted pickles, hot coffee and tea. WILM.STAR, 7-17-1909.

 

June 20, 1909  
The Chocolate Band performed a sacred concert at the pavilion on West Easy Street, Carolina Beach. WILM.DISP, 6-19-1909.

 

July 21, 1909
A decree of the Superior Court required a partition sale of real estate in a proceeding entitled Joseph Hawes, alias Joseph Doane, versus Celia Herring. It was to be sold today at public auction. Both tracts of land were in Federal Point Township.
First tract – W. A. McNeill‘s corner – J.A. Sanders line, to a pine in Lord‘s Creek, down Lord‘s Creek to Sheep Swamp, including 320 acres.
Second tract – John A. Sanders line, McNeill‘s corner, northern line of Oak Island tract, to a cedar in the river thence up Cape Fear River to McNeill‘s corner, containing 44 acres. WILM.DISP, 7-22-1909.

 

July, 1909
Real Estate Transfers:

  • James H. Burriss and wife to T. F. Boyd, of Richmond County, for $100 and other considerations, lot on Carolina Beach, 100×100 feet in size. WILM.STAR.
  • T.F. Boyd and wife, of Hamlet, N.C. to R.T. Finger and T.S. Cooper, of Hamlet, N.C., for $350, a lot in the proposed village of St. Joseph, Federal Point Township, 100 x 100 feet in size. WILM.STAR, 8-19-1909.

 

August 14, 1909
The Columbia Orchestra gave a sacred concert at Carolina Beach. WILM.STAR, 8-14-1909.

 

August 26, 1909
A party composed of Mr. and Mrs. L.H. Skinner, Mrs. Cuthbert Martin, Capt. and Mrs. John W. Harper, Mr. Evander Toomer and his daughters, and about forty others who were visiting at Carolina Beach enjoyed a delightful pilgrimage to the ancient ruins of Sedgeley Abbey, an historic spot of the lower Cape Fear, about which people have learned about from Mr. James Sprunt, in his book entitled “Tales and Traditions of the Lower Cape Fear.”

Few people were aware of this old and lovely spot until Mr. Sprunt shared his correct historical data of the Abbey as well as many other places which had been obliterated by the passage of the ages. Several pieces of ancient crockery were found by the party and are now on exhibition at the steamer WILMINGTON‘s wharf. The day was one of rare interest and pleasure by all in the party. WILM.STAR, 8-27-1909.

 

September 7, 1909
Carolina Beach closed for the season. It had been a very successful season and the travel there by actual figures was 35 per cent more than the summer of 1908. It was planned that next year the hotel would be remodeled, a lighting system would be installed, and other innovations. WILM.STAR, 9-8-1909.

 

December 14, 1909
The Wilmington, Southport and Carolina Beach Line operated three steamboats, the WILMINGTON, the SOUTHPORT, and the MADELEINE. This line connected with the New Hanover Transit Company for Carolina Beach, which is one of the finest Summer resorts on the Atlantic Coast. The resort is at the head of the sound and bathing and fishing could be enjoyed under the most favorable circumstances.
WILM.STAR, 12-14-1909.

 

December 19, 1909
Major Charles Pattison Bolles, 87, died at his home in Wilmington. He constructed the first sand battery on Cape Fear River, at Federal Point, which was the beginning of the Civil War fortifications at Fort Fisher. The battery was named “Battery Bolles” by the Wilmington Light Infantry who occupied it.

Maj. Gen. W. H. C. Whiting, who later commanded Fort Fisher, was a brother-in-law of Major Bolles. Interment was in Oakdale Cemetery, Wilmington. WILM.STAR, 12-21-1909.

 

December 19, 1909
The man that constructed the first battery at Fort Fisher was dead. Charles Pattison Bolles, Jr., died. He was born in Charleston, S.C., May 13, 1823. About 1844 he entered the U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey and he made the first authentic survey of the Frying Pan Shoals, the Cape Fear River, Beaufort Harbor, and the coast of Maine.

When the civil war broke out he entered the service of the Confederacy. He served as major of engineers on the staff of Gen. W.H.C. Whiting, in command of the Cape Fear River defenses. He constructed the first battery at Fort Fisher. From 1862 to 1865 he was in command of the Fayetteville Arsenal, and it was there that he devised means to utilize the Whitworth guns presented to the Confederacy by the British government. After the war he returned to civil engineering. In December, 1907, in his 85th year, he resigned from active duty. He was the oldest employee in the Navy Department.

 

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994