News Articles – 1906

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch, Wilmington Messenger

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

January 22, 1906.
Real Estate Transfer:

  • Carl A. Bache and wife to Marion L. Winner, for $250, about 20 acres of land in Federal Point township, known as the ‘Capt. Bache tract.’ It adjoined the lands of Kure and Joseph Winner. (Star, 1-23-1906;  Messenger, 1-29-1906)

 

March 23, 1906
The controversy over Zeke‘s Island between Messrs. Roger Moore and R.H. Pickett, who lately entered the lands as not being a part of the Bald Head property, and the Walker heirs, the original owners, was in progress in the Brunswick County Superior Court at Southport. (Star, 3-24-1906)

 

April 15, 1906
A boat ride on the river is delightful at all seasons of the year and during the spring time it is especially pretty and the banks of the Cape Fear River are beautiful. Captain Harper had two steamers now and better service was offered to Carolina Beach now and especially during the coming summer than ever before. The steamer LILLIE is a pretty steamer which was formerly owned by the state of North Carolina and she was purchased last fall by Captain Harper. She was recently overhauled and there was no prettier little steamer on the river. The steamer WILMINGTON will leave Wilmington at 9:30 a.m. and the LILLIE will leave at 2:30 p.m.  (Messenger, 4-15-1906,  4-22-1906)

 

April 28, 1906
A number of fishermen of Wilmington met and organized the Sheephead Club, a fishing club, and elected officers. The headquarters of the club was to be at Carolina Beach, where soon a handsome new sloop yacht, 18 feet 6 inches long and 4 feet 6 inches beam, was to be launched for the club‘s service. The sloop was a beauty, was painted white, with green bottom and was named the SHEEPHEAD.  The officers of the club were: R.H. Beery, captain; Walter E. Yopp, first mate; Roger Moore, second mate; H. McL. Green, boatswain; E.M. Beardsley, ordinary seamen; John H. Beery, cook.  (Dispatch, 4-28-1906)

 

April 20, 1906
The recent storm resulted in more damage to the government breakwater known as ‘the Rocks.’ A member of the Corps of Engineers, following an inspection, stated that the damage done was almost beyond comprehension. There was scarcely 100 feet of the New Inlet dam which was not damaged.

In the two dams, the New Inlet Dam, and the Swash Defence Dam, there were a number of breaks from 50 feet to about 500 feet. The entire stone coping of the New Inlet dam was completely destroyed by the terrific force of the wind and waves. The stone coping was composed of tremendous stone blocks weighing from 2 to 6 tons each. Some of these were thrown by the wind from 25 to 50 feet from their original position. The only thing that saved the Swash Defence Dam from being completely obliterated was the fact that the stone coping was cemented and it resisted the attacking power of wind and wave.

Prior to the storm, $60,000 worth of improvements had recently been added to the work on the dams, and all of this will prove a total loss as it will all have to be fixed again. The stone coping alone on the New Inlet Dam would cost $50,000 to replace.  (Dispatch, 9-20-1906)

 

May 25, 1906
Five carnival or midway attractions were granted concessions by Capt. John W. Harper to be located for the summer season at Carolina Beach. Arrangements were underway for their transfer to the beach. Several of the shows had been seen recently in Wilmington with the Pierce Amusement Company and they were considered first class in every particular.

Another feature of amusement at Carolina Beach this season was a brand new skating rink which was opened by Messrs. L.A. Bristow and M.N. Johnson, both clever young men of Wilmington. The old pavilion was enclosed and a new floor was laid for the rink and other accessories were ordered from Philadelphia. In connection with the rink there was a refreshment stand and lunch counter. (Star, 5-25-1906.

 

May 27, 1906
The Wilmington Symphony Orchestra was again engaged to play at Carolina Beach for the mid-week dances, which will be on Thursday nights, and for concerts Sunday afternoons.

The first concert was given today and the programme included:

CAN‘T YOU SEE I‘M LONELY; march, by Harry Armstrong.
TWIXT SUNLIGHT AND SHADOW: waltz, by Dox Crugan.
CUPID‘S GARDEN: intermezzo, by Max C. Eugene.
THE WHIRLING DERVISH, CHARACTERISTIQUE, by J.W. Serman.
FORTUN: march, by Edward Beyes.

The orchestra was composed of J.M. Culbreth, violin and leader; Henry Wrede, clarinet; Alva Stanland, cornet; Ernest Bagwell, cornet; Fred W. Dock, trombone; Preston Sellars, drums; Miss Sadie Brooks, piano. (Star, 5-25-1906; Dispatch, 5-25-1906)

 

May – November, 1906
Real Estate Transfers:

  • New Hanover Transit Company to Josie C. Smith, for $5 and other considerations, property at Carolina Beach. WILM.DISP, 5-31-1906; WILM.STAR, 6-1-1906.
  • William L. Smith and wife to Ellen Kure, for $325, property at Carolina Beach. WILM.DISP, 5-31-1906; WILM.STAR, 6-1-1906.
  • Melvin L. Smith and wife to Ellen Kure, for the sum of $325, lot on Carolina Beach. WILM.MESS, 6-1-1906.
  • Winslow W. Smith and wife and William L. Smith to James H. Burriss, for $112, property on Carolina Beach, 100 by 100 feet in size. WILM.DISP, 6-23-1906.
  • Eliza Bowen to Elijah Leonard, David Sanders and J.H. McDonald, trustees of Bowen‘s Chapel, A.M.E. Zion Church, for $100, one-half acre of land in Federal Point Township.  (Star, 11-11-1906)

 

June 6, 1906
(advertisement) SURF BATHING AT CAROLINA BEACH.
New suits, clean towels, fresh water shower baths furnished for 15 cents. J.D. Dennis, manager.  (Dispatch, 6-16-1906  Messenger, 6-16-1906)

 

June 27, 1906
More than 1,200 went down to Carolina Beach on five trips of the steamer WILMINGTON, the occasion being the Policemen‘s Annual Excursion. The features of the day were the athletic games, the gun shoot and a fine dinner. Policemen and members of the Wilmington Gun Club enjoyed the gun shoot. The Southport Gun Club was invited but could not attend. The leaders in the shooting match were Messrs. George Harris and E.N. Penny, and among the other scorers were Col. Waddell, Chief Williams, M.C. Gray, H.W. Howell, S.A. Nichols, Hergenrother, Holmes, Littig, Empie, Loder and Christian. (Dispatch, 6-28-1906)

 

July, 1906
A launch CLIFTON was making regular runs from Wilmington to ‘The Rocks’ for fishermen.

 

July 7, 1906.
Justice G. W. Bornemann meted out justice with an impartial hand. The judge is a firm believer in order at our two beaches and says that whenever disturbances are raised at the resorts he intended to deal with them in the severest possible manner.

Two men, Will Hudson and “Bill” Terry were before the judge charged with an affray at Carolina Beach on July 4th. The fighting began over Hudson cursing at Terry. Terry knocked down Hudson. The judge said Terry was justified in his action as he was not looking for any trouble at the time that he was cursed. Terry still had to pay the costs of court, and Hudson received the severe sentence for his conduct, the judge imposed a fine of $10 and costs, which amounted to $16.45. (Dispatch, 7-7-1906)

 

July 25, 1906
The launch CLIFFORD was to be used for fishing expeditions from Wilmington to ‘the Rocks’. Anglers would be taken down in the morning and returned in the afternoon. (Dispatch 7-25-1906)

 

August 24, 1906
An impromptu tourney was held at Carolina Beach by the Wilmington Gun Club. A visitor at the beach, Mr. C.H. Storr, of Charlotte, lead the contest with a score of 122 out of 125. The medal held by Mr. A.A. Hergenrother, offered by Mr. Hans A. Kure, was secured by Mr. Oldenbuttel, who broke 25 targets out of 25.

Other participants of the tourney were: Littig, Taylor, Perdew, G. Harris, Loder, Boushee, Hatcher, Simms, Killette, Howell, Penny, Holmes, Boylan, Ramsey, and Capps.  (Dispatch, 8-25-1906)

 

September 17, 1906
Mr. S.W. Sanders, who owns a cottage at Carolina Beach, experienced an unusual incident during the storm of high winds and high tide today. About ten years ago Mr. Sanders found near his cottage a 10-inch bomb, which had been washed on the beach from out of the wrecks. Thinking it might be a dangerous thing to have around he had a colored man to dig a hole five feet deep in front of his cottage and bury the bomb. He had forgotten entirely the matter until he went down and found the bomb resting on the surface of the beach, showing that the great wind had removed sand of at least five feet. Mr. Sanders decided to have the bomb brought to the city to be kept as a souvenir of the storm. (Dispatch, 9-24-1906)

 

October, 1906
The government secured five lighter loads of cobblestones from the streets of Wilmington to be used in the repair work on ‘The Rocks.’ The streets were being repaired with ‘Belgian Blocks.’

 

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994