News Articles – 1901

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch, Wilmington Messenger

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

April 25, 1901
The patrons of Carolina Beach learned that this summer they will have the free use of Sedgley Hall club house, one of the most commodious and comfortable on the coast. The New Hanover Transit Company had leased the club house which was to be thrown open for the free use of those who go to the beach this summer. The club house was supplied with hammocks, rocking chairs and plenty of other seats, and with a bountiful supply of pure ice water and clean rest rooms. There were to be picnic tables and rooms available to surf bathers.  (Messenger, 4-26-1901)

 

April 25, 1901
Capt. J.W. Harper, of the New Hanover Transit Company, announced that his company had leased the Sedgeley Hall Club house, and that it would be opened for the free use of those who go to the beach this summer. The club house was one of the most commodious and comfortable on the coast. The club house would be supplied with hammocks, rocking chairs and a bountiful supply of pure ice water and there would be sanitary rest rooms available. A competent and courteous custodian would be placed in charge of the club house and he was to give polite attention to all visitors.   (Messenger, 4-24-1901)

 

May 18, 1901
The first excursion to Carolina Beach this season was run on the steamer WILMINGTON by Colonel Walker Taylor‘s Boys Brigade. The proceeds from the excursion were for the fund which the Brigade is raising to defray its expenses at its encampment to be held this summer. The round trip tickets for the excursion were 25 cents and it was hoped that a large crowd would go down to the beach. The Brigade secured Senor Cammariero‘s Boston Italian Band to furnish music for the day. The Boy‘s Brigade now had a membership of 40 and was one of the coming military organizations of the city.   (Messenger, 5-19-1901)

 

May 19, 1901
Mr. W.H. Biddell is making considerable improvements to the hotel at Carolina Beach. The Fowler cottage was moved up next to the hotel and converted into a bath house for ladies.   (Messenger, 5-19-1901)

 

May 20, 1901.
The Sedgeley Hall Club house on Carolina Beach had been rented from its recent purchaser, Mr. A.S. Heide, by Capt. J. W. Harper for the New Hanover Transit Company. It was opened for the benefit of the public. All visitors to the beach were invited to make the club headquarters while there. A competent janitor was in charge of the building both day and night.   (Dispatch, 4-25-1901)

 

June 3, 1901
A license for the sale of spirituous and malt liquors at Carolina Beach was granted to W.V. Hardin & Company.   (Dispatch, 6-4-1901)

 

June 9, 1901
Mr. W.F. Biddell, of the National Hotel, Lumberton, who had leased the Oceanic Hotel at Carolina Beach, gave notice that he was now prepared to serve the public and asked for a share of their patronage. His tables were to be bountifully supplied at all times with fish, crabs, shrimp and all sea foods.   (Messenger, 6-9-1901)

 

July 5, 1901
Real Estate Transfer:
A deed was filed by Herbert McClammy, Esq., receiver for Sedgeley Hall Club, transferring to Mr. A.S. Heide the handsome club house and grounds at Carolina Beach. Mr. Heide had bought the property earlier at a public sale for $1,050.   (Messenger, 7-6-1901)

 

September 3, 1901
The season was to close at Carolina Beach soon and Capt. John W. Harper was to take the steamer WILMINGTON to Baltimore to have a new boiler installed and other improvements made at a cost of several thousand dollars. He and the vessel will be gone for several weeks.    (Messenger, 9-3-1901)

 

October – November, 1901
Real Estate Transfers:

  • New Hanover Transit Company to Isabella C. Smallbones, parcel of land on Carolina Beach.   (Star, 10-23-1901)
  • The New Hanover Transit Company, by deed of date May 10th, 1900, transferred to J. D. Webster, for $135, a lot on Carolina Beach, adjoining the lands of H. A. Kure and John J. Fowler.   (Star, 11-30-1901)

 

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994