Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch, Wilmington Messenger
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994
January 6, 1898
The executive and building committee of the new club to be started at Carolina Beach held a meeting and accepted the plans of Mr. H.E. Bonitz for a two-story club house with modern improvements. The name of the club was changed from “Atlantic” to “Sedgeley Hall.” Work of the club was commenced about February 1st.
January 7, 1898
The plans for the “Sedgeley Hall” club house, as submitted by Mr. Henry E. Bonitz, of Wilmington, were accepted. The building at Carolina Beach will be of wood, two stories high, with an auditorium 30 by 40 feet and a swinging gallery. A two-story verandah will run entirely around the building. (Star, 1-7-1898)
January 9, 18/98
The name of “Sedgeley Hall, adopted by the club recently formed for Carolina Beach, was suggested by Mrs. Maria Fosgate, of Wilmington. . (Star, 1-9-1898)
January 11, 1898
The author James Sprunt wrote: “Near Gander Hall are the ruins of Sedgeley Abbey, which was the grandest colonial residence of the Cape Fear. It was erected about 170 years ago by an English gentleman of wealth and refinement, named Maxwell, who owned all the lands as far as Smith’s Island.
The house was built of coquina. The south wing of the building was standing until about 1873, when it was demolished and the building material was burned for fertilizer by an unsentimental tenant. A beautiful avenue of oaks extended by the mansion on the east for 1,500 feet towards the ocean in full view, and a corduroy road, which may still be seen, was built through a bay and lined with trees to the river landing. It was thought by many residents nearby to be haunted.” (Messenger, 1-11-1898)
January 11, 1898
The author James Sprunt wrote: “Near the landing at Carolina Beach may be seen a fine grove of old oaks, which many years ago sheltered an attractive estate still known as Gander Hall. It was owned in 1830 by Captain James McIlhenny, of an honored and respected family on the Cape Fear”. (Messenger, 1-11-1898)
January 20, 1898
Col. R.A. Jenkins returned to Winston-Salem, having concluded the contract and signed the papers for the lease of Carolina Beach Hotel for the coming season. He was to return about June 1st with his family. He planned to open the hotel about June 15th. (Star, 1-21-1898)
January 20, 1898
At a recent meeting of the subscribers of the new club to be located at Carolina Beach by the German community of Wilmington. Messrs. C.F. Von Kampen, Martin Rathjen, M.G. Tienken, F. Richter, Charles Schulken, H. Burfeindt, H.L. Vollers, H.T. Duls, M. Schnibben and J.G.L. Gieschen were appointed a committee to select a site and submit a plan for organization for the club.
Today the committee left the city on the steamer WILMINGTON to visit the beach for the purpose of selecting a site for the new club. Upon arrival at the beach about 11 a.m. they looked about for a site and selected one next north of the cottage known as “The Castle.” The lot fronted on the ocean about 200 feet and it ran back about 200 feet to the sound, the entire lot being donated for the purpose by the New Hanover Transit Company. The location was a most admirable one.
After selecting the site, the party was entertained with an oyster roast with the usual condiments, given by Capt. Harper. The roast was served very near the hotel. After the oyster roast the party took the hand car back to the pier, and while the steamer was on her way back to the city, the committee held a meeting at which they adopted a name for the new club, “The Hanover Seaside Club.” It was suggested by Mr. J.G.L. Gieschen. (Messenger, 1-21-1898)
January 20, 1898
Colonel R.A. Jenkins, of Salem, N.C., who for the past three summers conducted the Hotel Oceanic at Carolina Beach was arranging for the lease of the hotel for the next season. He leased the hotel from the New Hanover Transit Company. (Messenger, 1-21-1898)
January 26, 1898
The plans drawn by H.E. Bonitz, Wilmington architect, were accepted at a meeting of the Executive Committee of the Sedgeley Hall Club for their new club house. (Star, 1-27-1898
January 26, 1898
Rev. Father James F. Macklin, of Washington, D.C., bought a lot on Carolina Beach from Mr. J.L. Winner. It was his plan to erect a handsome two-story residence. (Star, 1-26-1898; Dispatch, 1-22-1898)
January 27, 1898
The subscribers to the Hanover Seaside Club, the new Carolina Beach club, met at the Adrian Hall for the purpose of affecting a permanent organization. There were now about 80 subscribers. The Site Selection Committee reported the selection of a site north of “The Castle” cottage at Carolina Beach and the report was adopted. The Constitution and By-Laws Committee reported, the constitution and by-laws adopted by the committee, and the same was adopted.
The membership fees were fixed at $20 each, and the annual dues at $3. It also provided for seasonal memberships and memberships for ladies. After the adoption of the constitution and by-laws, the club was permanently organized by the election of the following officers: C.F. VonKampen, president; M.G. Tienken, vice president; J.G.L. Gieschen, secretary and treasurer. (Messenger, 1-28-1898)
February 2, 1898
William A. Wilson, Jr. secretary and treasurer of the Sedgeley Hall Club, invited bids from contractors for the construction of a club house. Plans and specifications were available. (Star, 2-2-1898)
February 8, 1898
The new Federal Point road delegation asked for a special appropriation of $250 to change the course of about 2 miles of their road, starting about 8 miles from the city. The cost would be for 7,000 yards of ditching. It was claimed that the change would save the traveling of about 4 miles of deep sand road for quite a number of people in that section. Messrs. Hines and Horne were spokesmen for the delegation. (Star, 2-8-1898)
February 11, 1898
Col. John D. Taylor, clerk of the Superior Court, received from Cyrus Thompson, N.C. secretary of state, the charter granted by the State to Sedgeley Hall Club of Carolina Beach. The incorporators were Herbert McClammy, Esq., Major D. O’Connor and Messrs. W A. French, Jr., D.C. Love, D. McEachern, W.A. Willson, Jr., F.R. Hawes and M.W. Divine. The time allowed to exist, under the charter, was 60 years, dating on and after the 10th inst. The application made for the charter stated that the club was entirely a social one. (Messenger, 2-12-1898)
February 11, 1898
The charter and incorporation papers of Sedgeley Hall Club were received yesterday. The capital stock was set at $2,000, divided into two hundred $10 shares. Only the members of the club can own stock, and they were not allowed to transfer it. No member may own more than one share, and the club was to have full power to declare the forfeiture of a share, and no membership can be retained after forfeiture of stock has taken place The price of a share or membership cannot be increased to an amount exceeding $25. (Star, 2-12-1898)
February 23, 1898
The contract for erecting a club house at Carolina Beach for the Sedgeley Hall Club was awarded to Messrs. Stout & Tyler, of Wilmington. (Dispatch, 2-21-1898)
March 2, 1898
The work of constructing the handsome club house on Carolina Beach for the Sedgeley Hall club was begun. The steamer WILMINGTON transported twelve competent carpenters and had in tow a barge loaded with lumber to be used in the erection of the building. The work of the building was under the personal supervision of Mr. Thad F. Tyler, of the firm of Strout & Tyler, to which firm the contract for erecting the club house was awarded. (Messenger, 3-2-1898)
March 12, l898
Mr. Henry F. Bonitz, who is architect and superintendent, of the Sedgeley Hall club, reported that work was progressing satisfactorily. The frame work was up and everything looked favorable to the final completion by the first or middle of May. Mr. T.F. Tylel the contractor and builder, also reported satisfactory progress. (Star, 3-13-1898)
March 20, l898
The contract for building the Sedgeley Hall Club was been let. The club was to be a two-story building with broad piazzas up and down stairs. The main hall of the building will be 30 x 40 feet with a balcony extending to the ceiling. To the rear of the hall are the ladies’ and gentlemen’s’ reception rooms. These were divided by a passage 15 feet wide. To the rear of and adjoining the ladies’ parlor is a lunch room, and to the side of the parlor is the ladies’ toilet room. The second story was reached by a stairway leading from the passage way to the balcony. Around the balcony circle seats will be placed so that spectators may watch the dancers without taking up the dancing space. The second floor will have four rooms, one of which will be given up to the ladies. Work was to be begun on March 1st and finished and ready for opening by May lst. (Star, 2-20-1898)
March 21, 1898
The Hanover Seaside Club made application for a charter. The committee appointed to make the application was Messrs. J.G.L. Gieschen, H. Vollers and J.W. Duls. It was expected that the charter would be granted very soon. (Messenger, 3-22-1898)
March 22, 1898
An improved Rider hot-air pumping engine arrived for the New Hanover Transit Company for use at Carolina Beach. It was an 8-inch engine, manufactured by the Rider-Ericsson Engine Company of New York. It was to be used in pumping water into the tank at the beach and was to be a decided improvement over the old wind-mill arrangement.
Among its advantages was that it was absolutely safe, noiseless and economical. A pint of kerosene oil furnished power enough to pump 2,000 gallons of water fifty feet high. The engine would occupy 2 1/2 X 4 feet of floor space and it weighed 3,400 pounds. It was to be delivered by the steamer WILMINGTON. (Star, 3-23-1898. Dispatch, 3-23-1898)
March 24, l898
A car load of railroad rails, spikes and bolts arrived and will be delivered to Carolina Beach where they will be used in extending the railroad track a mile up the beach in front of and beyond the sites selected for the club houses of the Sedgeley Hall Club and Hanover Seaside Club.
The Sedgeley Hall Club’s house is half finished, and work will be commenced on The Hanover Club by the 1st of April. Messrs. J.G.L. Gieschen, Jake Duls, E.P. Bailey and M. Rathjen, of the building committee, laid off the site for their club house. It fronts 200 feet on the ocean, next north of the “Castle,” and extends through from the ocean to the sound. The plans for the house have been made. (Messenger, 3-25-1898)
March 24, 1898
Mr. H. Bonitz, the clever young architect, finished the plans and specifications for the Hanover Seaside Club house to be erected on Carolina Beach. The club house will be in the shape of a right angular cross and will cover a space of ground 92 feet in length and 61 feet in width .Completely circling the first, or lower floor, will be a substantial piazza of 2,760 feet; the second and last floor will have two piazzas, not circular, however, but one front and one rear, containing 1,000 square feet.
The main entrance will lead into a spacious auditorium, 30 by 40 feet, running the entire width of the building. At both ends of the auditorium will be two wings. The north wing will contain a ladies’ sitting room (1 X 20), ladies’ parlor (8 x 10), and a small ladies’ toilet room. In the north wing will be the cuisine apartment, dining room and lunch alcove. The culinary apartment will be a model one. The dining room will be commodious and airy.
Entrance to the second story will be only made from the outside. A well appointed billiard saloon (25 x 30 feet) will occupy the centre portion of this floor. A modern cafe and gentlemen’s smoking room will be located in the southern section and the northern section will contain two card rooms, a plain chamber and the custodian’s room.
The entire building will have perfect ventilation and all the windows will be fitted with chip glass which will not permit a glare to enter. The pitch of the first story will be 10 feet, 6 inches, and the second story, 9 feet and a half. The two piazzas will be 20 feet wide. Some distance from the club house will be erected bath houses for ladies and gentlemen. The main building and other structures will cost between $2,500 and $3,000. (Messenger, 3-25-1898)
March 28, 1898
The Hanover Seaside Club invited contractors and builders to submit proposals for the construction and erection of their club house on Carolina Beach. The plans and specifications could be had upon application to the architect, Mr. H.E. Bonitz. Bids were to be accepted until March 31st, 12 noon. (Star, 3-26-1898)
March 28, 1898
A petition was being circulated asking Postmaster W.H. Chadbourn to give the cottages on Carolina Beach, beginning May 15, a daily free delivery of mail by messenger on the morning and afternoon boat from Wilmington to the beach. It was a popular move and numerous signatures were obtained. (Star, 3-29-1898; Dispatch, 3-29-1898)
March 29, 1898
The contractor and carpenters at work on Sedgeley Hall club house on Carolina Beach reported seeing a strange looking craft from the beach about two miles from the shore and it was bound south. From the description given she was evidently a torpedo boat. She was flying no flag. (Star, 3-30-1898)
March 29, l898
The U.S. Monitor TERROR passed close into the coast en route from Norfolk to Charleston. Some of the folks saw her and immediately became frightened and described her as a “strange craft,” and others thought she was a “torpedo boat,” but all were wrong. (Dispatch, 3-30-1898)
April 6, 1898
Mr. Thad F. Tyler, who had the contract for the erection of Sedgeley Hall Club House, came to Wilmington yesterday on the steamer NAVASSA. He reported that the weatherboarding was all up and the roof was on. Completion date was May 11th. (Star, 4-7-1898)
Several shot were dug up at Carolina Beach during the progress of the work of excavating for the new club house (Dispatch, 4-9-1898)
April 27, 1898
One of the worse days experienced in a long time occurred today. It was cold and the wind blew fiercely all day. The Cape Fear River was lashed into a fury, Mr. T.F. Tyler reported that the occupants of a house at Carolina Beach sat up all night in the fear that the building would be blown down. It weathered the storm all right, though. And so did Sedgeley Hall Club house which had excellent foundations. Some of the telegraph lines were in distress until long after noon. (Star, 4-29-1898)
The wind blew big guns and hail fell in abundance. A cottage on the beach, the property of Mr. Hans A. Kure, was blown from its foundation and wrecked. It was not occupied. It was a total loss. (Dispatch, 4-28-1898)
April 27, 1898
The steamer WILMINGTON carried down 2,000 feet of lumber for the Carolina Beach water works. (Star, 4-28-1898)
May 6, 1898
The wire of the telephone line to Carolina Beach was up. The boxes were to be put up as soon as the cottagers moved down to the Beach. (Dispatch, 4-9-1898; 4-23-1898)
May 8, 1898
Dan W. Galloway had been elected janitor of the new Sedgeley Hall Club House. (Star, 5-8-1898)
May 12, 1898
A number of men from Fort Macon, N.C. went down the river on the steamer WILMINGTON on their way to Corn Cake Inlet. They were to erect a battery to defend the inlet which makes in at the upper end of Smith’s Island. The inlet was large enough now to admit small steamers such as torpedo boats and torpedo boat destroyers. (Messenger, 5-13-1898; Dispatch, 5-12-1898)
May 17, 1898
The steamer WILMINGTON carried a quantity of lumber to Carolina Beach which was to be used in the construction of the Signal Station. The station was to be a two-room cottage with an observatory. It was to be located near the beach at a point nearly off the old wreck of the BEAUREGARD. Mr. L.H. Vollers was the contractor. About eight carpenters were at work on the building. (Star, 5-18-1898)
May 20, 1898
Lieut. George L. Morton went down to Carolina Beach to inspect the work on the Signal Station. The building was to be completed inside in about two weeks. At present the Signal Corps were quartered in Capt. S.W. Skinner’s cottage. (Star, 5-21-1898)
May 20, 1898
Mail service to Carolina Beach and to Wrightsville Beach was to begin on July 1st. Owing to the exhaustion of the government appropriation, the service could not begin earlier. One carrier was to attend to the mail at both beaches, giving Wrightsville an early morning delivery and taking the mail for Carolina Beach on the steamer WILMINGTON every day at 2:30. (Star, 5-20-1898)
May 23, 1898
Mr. John Wallace, of Long Creek, Pender County, was to be the engineer on the line of railroad connecting the pier with Carolina Beach. The steamer WILMINGTON carried ten pieces of railroad iron to be used at Carolina Beach in extending the railroad to the Sedgeley Hall Club house. (Star, 5-24-1898)
May 24, 1898
A number of the stockholders of Hanover Seaside Club went down to Carolina Beach to look after the club house. Work was progressing rapidly. The frame was up already, and it was not to be very long before the building was completed. (Star, 5-25-1898)
May 27, l898
Sedgeley Hall Day was celebrated at Carolina Beach. This was the formal opening of the new and handsome club house for the public to have the opportunity to tour the building. The steamer WILMINGTON made three trips to the beach, having large crowds each time. The building was painted a light olive with maroon and dark olive trimmings and an Indian red roof, and it harmonized charmingly with the surroundings.
The first thing after the color that was noticed was the great amount of verandah space. There was 240 running feet of verandah, 12 feet wide. They were located on both floors. Entering the building you were in the auditorium or dance hall. This was 30 by 40 feet in dimensions. Over it was a swinging balcony of 140 running feet and with 6 feet width from which spectators could look at the dancers without being in the way, Sedgeley Hall Club being the second in the State to adopt this exceedingly convenient arrangement.
On the south side of the auditorium was the ladies’ parlor, 25 X 22 feet, and a lunch room, 13 x 14 feet. On the northern end were located two gentlemen’s apartments for smoking, lounging, etc., with the same dimensions as on the south end. There were also conveniently arranged lavatories, and the club was excellently equipped with improved plumbing and drainage. A broad flight of stairs led up to the second floor where there were four roomy apartments or lounging rooms for ladies or gentlemen. All parts of the building were abundantly supplied with chairs and hammocks and other arrangements for comfort and recreation.
There were two octagonal bath houses on the west side of the club houses, one for the ladies and one for the gentlemen, and both had shower baths attached. There was fully 350 feet on gangways placed around the club house. Mr. Dan W. Galloway, the custodian, was clever and obliging and an expert swimmer – bathers need not fear when he is around. (Star, 5-28-1898)
June 2, 1898
The prettiest building at Carolina Beach is the Sedgeley Hall Club House. It stands at the extreme upper end of the railroad and faces the best part of the beach for surf bathing. The building was designed by Mr. H.E. Bonitz and built by Mr. T.F. Tyler, both of Wilmington. The workmanship is well executed. Besides a 10-room cottage which Mr. Tyler is building for Mr. Kure, he is superintending a lot of reconstruction and painting. (Dispatch, 6-2-1898)
June 3, l898
The Hotel Oceanic, at Carolina Beach, opened for the season. The steamer WILMINGTON made an extra trip on the evening of June 2nd to carry down Captain R.A. Jenkins’ family and helpers who arrived on the Cape Fear & Yadkin Valley Railroad. Captain Jenkins ordered literalized milk for the benefit of cottagers and guests. (Dispatch, 6-2-1898; Messenger, 6-2-1898)
June 3, 1898
The Oriental Pleasure Club held their excursion to Carolina Beach. The Committee of Arrangements included Messrs. J.T. Cowan, L.O. Smith, Clifton Anderson and Thomas W. Mintz, with Mr. Will West, Jr., as manager. (Star, 5-29-1898)
June 13, 1898
Mr. Allie Price, of the Naval Reserves signal corps stationed at Carolina Beach, visited in Wilmington for a short time. This was the first time any member of this corps had been in the city since they were placed on duty about a month ago. A leave of absence, even for a short time, has to be obtained by wire from headquarters at Norfolk, Va. Mr. Price looked quite neat in a spotless suit of white and tan leggings. Since the beach season opened, life at the beach was less monotonous.
June 15, 1898
Mr. W.A. French, Jr. and family have moved to Carolina Beach for the summer. (Dispatch, 6-15-1898)
July 4, 1898
The greatest crowd in its history visited Carolina Beach and the day was delightfully spent by the great crowd of pleasure-seekers. The Concordia Castle Knights of Golden Eagle had charge of the holiday excursion and afforded every opportunity for enjoyment. A brass band discoursed music at the Oceanic Hotel and a string band furnished music for dancing at the pavilion. The dancing continued until the last boat left the beach. The target match between teams of the Wilmington Light Infantry and the Naval Reserves attracted great interest. The scores resulted in a tie. (Dispatch, 7-5-1898)
July 8, 1898
Carolina Beach was occupied with the celebration of the opening of the Hanover Seaside Club. The residents of the beach and visitors from Wilmington turned out in fairly large numbers. The disagreeable weather interfered materially with the crowd.
During the day the club house was given up to the members and their families. They roamed through the building admiring the many conveniences to their heart’s content. Refreshments were served all day, and in spite of the rain and gloom without, it was a day of joy and merriment within.
At night the club house was brilliant with lights and resonant with the sound of music. Numerous couples glided over the handsome ball room floor to the strains of music dispersed by an excellent band. In the bowling alley, which is just north of the club house, there was much enjoyment, also this popular game was well patronized. Just above the ballroom was the billiard room and the pool and billiard tables were kept steadily in use. In adjoining rooms refreshments and cigars were served to all.
The club house has bath rooms, sleeping rooms, dining rooms, and refreshments always on hand, served by Mr. J.F. Stolter. The very delightful program for the special day was carried out by Messrs. F. Richter, Martin Schnibben and E.P.H. Strunck, the club committee. The Executive Committee included Messrs. C.F. VonKampen, president; J.G.L. Gieschen, secretary; E.P.Bailey, J.W. Duls, M. Rathgen, and H.L. Vollers. (Star, 7-9-1898)
July 12, 1898
The Western Union Telegraph Company was building a telegraph lline from Wilmington to Carolina Beach, a distance of about 16 miles. This was for the U.S. government and was to be one of the links in the system of signal stations being established on the Atlantic coast. The line ran down Front Street and went along the Federal Point road after it leaves the city. Poles were being placed along the route. The office at Carolina Beach was to be in the signal station which had already been established there. (Messenger, 7-12-1898)
July 18, 1898
The Signal Station at Carolina Beach had been abolished. The government completed the telegraph line to the station on Saturday, July 16th, and the first message that was sent over it was the order abolishing the station. The telegram also ordered the men to report to Norfolk. The order was rather hard on the men, as they had made their arrangements to spend the summer on the beach, and one of them had rented a cottage for the season. The signalmen included Messrs. Alex. Greenbaum, Allie Price, J.R. Caudle and W.R. Middleton. (Dispatch, 7-18-1898)
July 19, 1898
The members of the Signal Corps left for Norfolk, Va..They were loud in their praise of Colonel R.A. Jenkins, the genial host of the Oceanic Hotel at Carolina Beach. Col. Jenkins made the life of the men a pleasure while they were stationed there by complimentary dinners and numerous other kindnesses which they would not soon forget. (Dispatch, 7-20-1898)
July 22, 1898
Mr. A.L. Price returned from Norfolk, Va. where the rest of the signal station crew at Carolina Beach were ordered to go. All of the men that composed the crew, with one exception, received an honorable discharge, preferring that than to go in the Navy as an ordinary seaman. The exception was Mr. J.R. Caudle, who went to Cape Henry as a government telegrapher. Chief Quartermaster Greenbaum and Second Quartermaster Milddleton were going home. Mr. Price resumed his former position in Wilmington at Capt. A.F. Brown’s dry good store. (Star, 7-23-1898)
July 24, 1898
The telegraph line to Carolina Beach had been completed but was not likely to be used, as the Signal Station had been abandoned. (Star, 7-24-1898)
July 28, 1898
Today was Howard Relief Steam Fire Engine Company Day at Carolina Beach. There was to be a gala style Tournament with many prizes. The prizes to be awarded the winners of the races were exhibited at the Acme Saloon, northeast corner of Front and Dock Streets, Wilmington. The Shooting Match had five prizes – a handsome silk umbrella, gold mounted pipe, rocking chair, walking cane and a briar pipe. The Bowling Contest had five prizes – cigar stand, satchel, walking cane, silver cup, tobacco pouch. The running race had two prizes – hammock and a necktie. The Sack Race had three prizes – set of silver spoons, box of cigars, and a pipe. The Bowling contest was to take place in the spacious and handsome Hanover Seaside Club building, and all other events will take place on the beach in front of the building. At night the festivities will conclude with a big frolic at the Hanover Club. (Messenger, 7-26-1898)
July 28, 1898
Mr. S.H. Fullenweider, a New York salesman, was walking up the beach at Carolina Beach, and he found a small leather bag opposite the wreck of the blockade runner which had been run ashore, nearly opposite where Sedgeley Hall club house now stands. The old vessel ran ashore during the war to escape from a Federal war vessel that was chasing her.
It is supposed that the leather bag was washed ashore from the old blockade runner, as it had barnacles on it and was nearly destroyed by salt water. In it were ten silver quarters, a roll of Confederate money, a case knife and fork, and some papers on which there was writing but not now legible. Three or four pieces of Confederate money are pretty well preserved as they were in the center of the roll. (Messenger, 7-29-1898)
August 1, 1898
The Baptist Boys’ Brigade went into camp at Carolina Beach. There were about 35 boys in the group. (Star, 9-2-1898)
August 1, 1898
The boys’ Brigade of the First Baptist Church, Wilmington, went into a camp at Carolina Beach. This was the first summer they had gone into a regular military style camp. Their friends were generous in the matter of contributions for their commissary and other camp equipment.
The officers of the Brigade were: H.G. Whitney, Captain; Chas. H. Herring, First Lieut; W.B. Muse, First Sgt; P.L. Smith, Second Sgt,; Arthur Sikes, Third Sgt.; C.H. Golden, Fourth Sgt.; Dave Boone, Commissary Sgt.; Junius Premport, Drummer; D.C, Marshall, First Cpl.; Lem King, Second Cpl,; Wash King, Third Cpl.; Alfred Jewett, Fourth Cpl. The camp was put up at Mrs. Kure’s place and their parade grounds were located at the former baseball ground. For parade purposes the Brigade was divided into companies. Company A. and Company B. The head officer was Otto Genaust who held the rank of Major. (Star, 7-29-1898; 7-31-1898)
August 8, 1898
The Baptist Boys’ Brigade, Capt. H.G. Whitney, which had been encamped at Carolina Beach since August 1st, broke camp and returned home. The boys enjoyed their stay at the beach immensely. (Star, 8-9-1898)
August 26, 1898
The crew of the steamer WILMINGTON gave an excursion to Carolina Beach, and Messrs. S.A. Greenlish and R.C. Platt managed the affair.
A new railroad station was added to the road between the Oceanic Hotel and the Seaside Club, which was dubbed “Platt Station” in honor of Mr. Phillip Platt, the steamer WILMINGTON’s clever engineer. The last boat returned to Wilmington about midnight. (Dispatch, 8-27-1898)
August 30, 1898
The Hanover Seaside Club at Carolina Beach tendered to the crew of the steamer WILMINGTON the use of the club house for their dance complimentary to the crew of the monitor NANTUCKET. Dancing was in progress from 6 to 11 p.m. All the privileges of the club house were extended to the NANTUCKET men. The club house committee who arranged the accommodations were Mr. Martin Rathjen, Mr. F. Richter and Mr. E.P.H. Strunck. The committee from the steamer WILMINGTON included Chief Engineer Philip Platt, Master Peter Jorgenson, and Pursers B.F. Swann and R.C. Banks. Messrs. S.A. Greelish and R.C. Platt were the managers of the dance, and John Cotton, of the NANTUCKET, was also a valuable assistant. (Star, 8-31-1898)
September 12, 1898
Capt. John W. Harper, of the steamer WILMINGTON, gave a free excursion to the old and sick colored people of the city. He carried about 600 of them to Carolina Beach and brought them back by 5 p.m. They enjoyed the outing to the fullest extent. They enjoyed the refreshing ocean breezes and many took surf baths. Many of the people were so old and feeble that their friends took them to and from the boat in carriages. (Messenger, 9-16-1898)
September 16, 1898
All the cottagers who had summered at Carolina Beach had moved back to the city and consequently the beach closed down today. There were no city people on the beach, even Mr. Hans A. Kure had gone. The steamer WILMINGTON ceased stopping at Carolina Beach. She now only made daily trips from Wilmington to Southport. (Messenger, 9-16-1898)
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994