Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch, Wilmington Messenger
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994
January 12, 1893 … Fort Fisher
The New Hanover Transit Company had leased the well known “Rocks” and proposed to make it both accessible and a pleasant place to visit for all who indulge in the sport of fishing. The “Rocks” had always been a good fishing spot, but hard to reach, and an uncomfortable and dreary place to remain overnight.
Capt. J.W. Harper and his company planned to build a new wharf and open a small but clean and neat house, where good meals would always be served and comfortable quarters found at night. The new house was to be called “Hotel Fisher,” and was to be opened after May 1st. (Messenger, 1-13-1893)
January 21, 1893
Capt. John W. Harper, of the steamer WILMINGTON, reported that at Fort Fisher where the river is two miles wide, ice extended from shore to shore. This was the first time since 1857, according to the oldest inhabitants, that the Cape Fear River had frozen over in that vicinity. VOL 11.
February 4, 1893
The New Hanover Transit Company was building their dock at the “Rocks,” preparatory for the summer season. Mr. Wesley Corbett had the contract. (Messenger, 2-4-1893)
The steamer WILMINGTON ran ashore at “The Rocks.” The tugboat ALEXANDER JONES took her passengers off and carried them on to Southport. The WILMINGTON got off without assistance on the high tide. VOL 11.
April 6, 1893
The Seaside Baseball Club, of Carolina Beach, was organized in Wilmington. They immediately began to get in shape for the upcoming season that was to open at the seashore in a few weeks. Capt. John W. Harper, of the steamer WILMINGTON, was unanimously elected president. The Seaside Baseball Club was last year’s Recreation Club under a new name, and it was to be the regular club at the beach this season. (Messenger, 4-7-1893)
April 9, 1893 … The Rocks
The New Hanover Transit Company completed their new wharf at The Rocks, and everything was now “safe and sound” for all who visited that resort when they pursued their piscatorial pursuits. It was to be remembered that at this resort “the fish were as hungry as wolves, as is shown by their savage manner in which they attack the shrimps and sand-fiddlers.”
The steamer WILMINGTON, with Capt. “Baseball” Harper in command, left Wilmington daily at 9:30 a.m., returning in the afternoon, stopping at The Rocks both ways, and this gave the anglers about five hours for indulging in their great sport. About May 1st, the overnight accommodations were to be ready for those who wished to spend a night or two at The Rocks. (Star, 4-9-1893)
April 12, 1893
Rather than leasing, The New Hanover Transit Company was to “tote their own skillet,” at the Hotel Oceanic this season. Mrs. W.E. Mayo was to be in charge of that important department which supplied the “river men.” Her well known experience and skill as a caterer was a guarantee that all who stopped at the “Oceanic” would be well pleased both as to quantity and quality of the food. (Star, 4-12-1893)
April 12, 1893
It was announced that Mrs. W.E. Mayo was to have charge of the hotel at Carolina Beach this summer. She had ample experience in hotel management and she knew how to serve “the delicacies of the sea.” (Messenger, 4-12-1893)
April 16 1893
The Hotel Oceanic, at Carolina Beach, was to be opened to the public on May 15th. The building had been thoroughly repaired and supplied with new furniture, bedding and other equipment. The hotel was to be under the general supervision of Mrs. W.E. Mayo.
A band of music had been engaged, the bath houses had been refitted and new bathing suits purchased for rental purposes. Three trips were to be made to the beach daily by the steamers WILMINGTON and CLARENCE.
“For the pulchritudinous prevaricators of piscaorial proclivities,” the steamer CLARENCE would make daily trips to Hotel Fisher at The Rocks, which was soon to be open under the management of Mr. Oscar Sorrensen.
People are looking forward to the “grand opening’ with a degree of pleasure akin to that of the sand-fiddler as he slips into this hole just as the fisherman thinks he has him in his grasp. (Star, 4-16-1893)
April 27, l893
A dredge belonging to R.P, Bowdoin & Son, engaged in dredging a “cut” for the steamers at Carolina Beach pier, 12 miles from Wilmington, was burned to the water’s edge about 1 a.m. The fire caught from a stove pipe. Mr. Harry Bowdoin and four men were asleep in the cabin of the dredge and they barely had time to escape in a small boat which they had kept tied to the dredge. They lost all their personal effects. The dredge had just started on the contract, having worked only two days, and in 10 or 12 more days, the work would have been completed on the cut.
She was insured for $2,000 and was valued at $5,000. She was burned to the water’s edge and sunk in about 5 feet of water. Efforts were made to scuttle her but the fire was so hot the men could not get within 20 feet of her to work. Mr. Bowdoin and his crew returned to Wilmington in his yawl. (Messenger, 4-28-1893)
April 29, 1893
Mortgagee’s Sale! Power of sale contained in a certain mortgaged deed executed by W.H. Gerken and wife to Jesse W Lewis, the undersigned, Marsden Bellamy & Son, as attorneys for the said Jess W. Lewis, will on Monday, June 5th, 1893, at 12 noon, at the Court House door for the city of Wilmington, sell, by public auction for cash, the lands conveyed in and by said mortgage, situated at Carolina Beach and described as follows: Beginning at the east end of H.A. Kure’s northern line, a stake in the centre of the New Hanover Transit Company’s railroad track at its end and now located between the Hotel and the Ladies Cottage, and thence to the beginning. (Messenger, 5-19-1893)
May 8, 1893
Quite a number of Wilmington anglers were sojourning at The Rocks, including the Hon. Alfred Moore Waddell, and his brother, Mr. Hugh Waddell, Capt. James C. Smith, R.M. Houston, and C.M. Harris. The first two or three days the wind was so unfavorable that but little fishing could be done, but the last day was fun with catching sheepshead, pigfish, and other varieties. (Star, 5-14-1893)
May 11, 1893
They were “a bittin” at The Rocks. Capt. Jim Smith caught nineteen sheepshead there. There were several fishermen at The Rocks and had been there for two or three days – but their bags had not been filled yet. Charlie Harris and Bob Houston were among them. (Star, 5-12-1893)
May 13, 1893
The Carolina Beach Baseball Club was organized. The manager was J.A. Everett, Jr.: the captain was Fred. Hopkins; the secretary was Chas. S. Grainger, and the players were Kenan, Harper, Makepeace, Gore, Allen, Grainger, Robinson, Beery, Munson, Woodward, Cohen, Stevens and Everett. The club was now open to challenges. (Messenger, 5-14-1893)
May 15, 1893
The Hotel Oceanic, at Carolina Beach, opened for the entertainment of the public. The building had been thoroughly repaired, and supplied with new furniture, bedding and other necessary equipment. The hotel was under the general supervision of Mrs. W.E. Mayo.
A band of music had been engaged, the bath houses had been refitted and new bathing suits provided. Three trips to the Beach daily was to be made by the steamers WILMINGTON and CLARENCE. The steamer CLARENCE was also to make daily trips to the Hotel Fisher at “The Rocks,” which was soon to open under the management of Mr. Oscar Sorensen. At this fisherman’s paradise a person could spend five hours and return in the afternoon, or one could spend one or more nights with host Sorensen and have time to haul out trout, sheepshead and flounders. (Star, 4-21-1893)
May 26, 1893.
Wilmingtonians who have stopped with Mr. Sorrensen, the manager of the Hotel Fisher, at The Rocks, speak in high praise of the “good cheer” he provides for his guests. (Star, 5-26-1893)
May 30, 1893
Beginning today, the steamer WILMINGTON was to carry a special mail pouch daily to Carolina Beach and return. This had proved to be a great convenience to the people of both Wilmington and Carolina Beach. Mail for Carolina Beach had to be deposited in Wilmington no later than 8:30 a.m. to insure its prompt delivery. (Star, 5-30-1893)
May 31, 1893
The families of Mr. Luhr Vollers and Mr. G. W. Linder had moved from Wilmington to Carolina Beach for the season. (Star, 5-31-1893)
June 1, 1893
W.S. Walker, Plumber, of No. 5 South 2nd Street, Wilmington, was now engaged in overhauling and repairing the plumbing at Carolina Beach. The plumbing in most of the cottages needed attention. (Messenger, 6-1-1893)
June 4, 1893
The Recreation Base Ball Club, Ed. W. Moore, manager, has accepted a challenge from the Carolina Beach team, manager John. A Everitt, Jr. for a game on June 9th at 4 o’clock, at Carolina Beach. This will open the baseball season at the Beach. (Star, 6-4-1893)
June 5, 1893
The trestle at Harper’s Pier took fire from a spark, but it was seen by Mr. Fred Kidder, from the opposite side of the river, who crossed over in his boat and extinguished it without any difficulty. The damage was so slight that it caused no interruption to the passage of the trains. (Star, 6-6-1893.
June 6, 1893
An application of J.L. Winner to be appointed surveyor for Federal Point Township, was tabled by the County Commissioners. (Star, 6-6-1893)
June 9, l893
Haywood’s Raleigh Band had been engaged for the season at Carolina Beach. They had an excellent orchestra and dance music, and was one of the most attractive features of the resort. They made their first appearance on June 2nd for a family excursion. (Star, 6-9-1893; 6-1-1893)
June 8, 1893
The first game of base ball was played at Carolina Beach. They had been practicing every afternoon for some time. The composition of the clubs was as follows: — Carolina Beach Club – Bennett, Stevens, Makepeace, Beery , Gore, Sawyer, Munson, Allen, Grainger. Battery – Bennett, Makepeace and Stevens. Manager, J.A. Everett, Jr. — Recreation Club – Smith, Garrell, Andrews, Moore, Wright, Schutte, Burkheimer, Bray, Tolar. Battery – Smith and Garrell. Manager, Ed. Moore.
Mr. L. Bennett, of Charlotte, who was catcher for the Carolina Beach team, arrived on a train on June 8th. Mr Oscar B. Watson, of Laurinburg, also arrived to play with the Recreation team. Besides the game of ball, there was music and dancing, and Mrs. Mayo of the Hotel Oceanic was prepared to furnish meals to all. (Star, 6-8-1893; 6-9-1893)
June 9, 1893
Four boats were run to the pier at Carolina Beach and each one carried a large number of passengers. It was the largest crowd that had visited the beach this season. Hawthorne’s Band discoursed some fine music and a number participated in the dancing. The supper served by Mrs. Mayo at the hotel was very fine and was complimented highly. The baseball game was better than anticipated between the Carolina Beach team and the Recreation team. The Recreation team won by a score of 14 to 4. (Star, 6-10-1893)
June 9, 1893
Six men from Greensboro, N.C. arrived in Wilmington by train and went down to “The Rocks” for a day’s sport with rod and real at the now famous fishing resort. (Star, 6-9-1893)
June 9, 1893
The first game of baseball was held at Carolina Beach between the Carolina Beach club and the Recreation club at 4 p.m. The Beach club was managed by J..A. Everett, Jr. and the players included Bennett, Stevens, Makepeace, Beery, Gore, Sawyer, Munson, Allen and Grainger. The battery consisted of Bennett, Makepeace and Stevens. The Recreation club was managed by Ed Moore, and the team consisted of Smith, Garrell, Andrews, Moore, Wright, Sheets, Burkheimer, Bray, and Tolar. The battery was Smith and Garrell. The Carolina club won the game by a score of 14 to 4. Bob Davis was the umpire. Their next game was to be held at Hilton. (Messenger, 6-10-1893)
June 14, 1893
The First Baptist Church Sunday School of Wilmington held their excursion to Carolina Beach on the steamer WILMINGTON. They were joined by the Sunday School of the Baptist Church of Fayetteville. One of the special features of the day at the beach was a game of baseball between the two church Sunday Schools. The Wilmington team included W.H. Green, Jr., Thos. C. Orrell, Berry Wilson, Bennie Jackson, J.H. Cowen, R.C. King, E.P. Schullen, Bellamy Harriss, and George James. (Star, 6-14-1893)
June 20, 1893
St. Thomas’ Catholic Church held their annual excursion to Carolina Beach. There was a variety of games and other amusements, and a band of music added to the enjoyment of the occasion. The ladies of the church served an excellent dinner in the Pavilion. Transportation was provided aboard the steamer WILMINGTON, which left the Wilmington wharf at 9:30 a.m., 2:30 and 5 p.m. (Star, 6-21-1893)
June 22, 1893
Mr. Wade H. Harris, editor of the Charlotte News, who was a frequent visitor to Wilmington, wrote this about Carolina Beach:
“Two elegant steamers ply up and down the river, touching at Carolina Beach, Fort Fisher, and Southport. Carolina Beach is fifteen miles below Wilmington.
The boat lands at a long pier, from which a train carries the visitor swiftly across a narrow strip of country to the beach, where there is a hotel and a mile of handsome cottages, all lined out along the water, so that only a walkway separates them from the ocean.
This is said to be the prettiest beach south of Asbury Park, N.J. At Fort Fisher there is a hotel and a number of cottages.” (Star, 6-22-1893)
June 23, 1893
A big crowd went out to Hilton Park to see the tilt between the Recreation Club and Carolina Beach baseball clubs. The grandstand was literally packed with people, and the crowd was enthusiastic from beginning to finish. The Recreation boys “weren’t in it.” They got snowed under to the tune of 19 to 5. The battery for the Recreation club was Smith and Garrell, while Pearsall and Bennett did the grand act for the Beach club. (Messenger, 6-24-1893; 6-23-1893)
June 25, 1893
Dr. J.A. Hodges, the physician for Carolina Beach, was located there every night and was staying at the Hotel Oceanic. (Star, 6-25-1893)
June 25, 1893
Ex-Mayor John J. Fowler, of Wilmington, had purchased a cottage at Carolina Beach. (Star, 6-25-1893)
June 29, 1893
The Wilmington Brass Band, under the leadership of Samuel Miller, composed of gentlemen residing in the southern part of the city, gave a moonlight excursion to Carolina Beach. The band had 14 members and this was to be their first public appearance. The excursion was for the benefit of the band. The steamboat would leave Wilmington at 6 p.m. and return at 12 midnight. The activities at the beach included turtle-egg hunting, dancing, and music by the band. (Star, 6-25-1893)
July 4, 1893
About 1,100 people went down to Carolina Beach to celebrate the Fourth of July holiday. Among the amusements was a surf boat race one mile at sea, between the ADDIE, Capt. Tom Morse, and the ORIENTAL, Capt. James Burruss. The ORIENTAL won the prize which was $10 in gold.
In the afternoon the Beach Club tackled the Myrtle Grove baseball club in a game and got the best of them in a score of 13 to 9. There was music and dancing all day, and the crowd was loath to leave when the last boat left to bring them back to the city. (Messenger, 7-6-1893)
July 4, 1893
A prize of ten dollars was offered to the winners of the rowing race at Carolina Beach on the Fourth of July. Two crews from Southport arrived and the crews were composed of the following: James Weeks, Newton St. George, Thomas St. George, Ben Newton, Tom Sellers, Crawford Watts, J.A. Burriss, Sam Newton. The manager of the crews was T.M. Morse. (Star, 6-30-1893)
July 4, 1893
About 1,200 visitors arrived at Carolina Beach to celebrate the Fourth of July. Among the crowd of people were 100 excursionists from Pollocksville, N.C. The graceful steamer WILMINGTON made many trips to bring visitors to the beach. Excellent music was provided by Haywood’s Raleigh Band. The morning was passed in dancing and surf bathing, and strolling along the white sands of the beach. About 1:30 p.m. Mrs. Mayo served a nicely prepared dinner of sea delicacies which everybody enjoyed. At 3 p.m. a surf race was held. The course was from a point opposite the northern end of Cottage Row, down about three-fourths of a mile around a buoy to a finish opposite the hotel. Only two boats were entered, both from Southport. Around the same time as the boat race, there was a baseball game, both teams were members of the Carolina Beach Base Ball Club. There was a display of fireworks after supper.
Later the waltz was danced until 9 p.m. when the last boat was to depart. Those fortunate to be on the upper deck on the steamer’s return trip enjoyed some fine singing by a number of young men of the Pinafore Glee Club. (Star, 7-6-1893)
July 13, 1893
The summer population of Carolina Beach now numbers three hundred at night. Many of these attend to business during the day in Wilmington, but they are always happy to hear the steamer WILMINGTON at 5 p.m. for the trip down river. (Star, 7-13-1893)
July 14, 1893
Carolina Beach was thronged with visitors from Wilmington, the steamer WILMINGTON making three trips to accommodate the crowds “seeking relief” at the seaside from the torrid temperature that prevailed in town. The ladies were out in great force. (Star, 7-15-1893)
July 16, 1893
The well known evangelist, Rev. J.W. Lee, conducted religious services at Carolina Beach at 11 a.m. The singing was in charge of Mr. Arthur L. Butt. (Star, 7-15-1893)
July 21, 1893
The Carolina Beach Base Ball Club, Mr. John A. Everett, Jr., manager, went to Fayetteville to cross bats with the crack team of that city. They chartered a train and it would carry passengers from the Wilmington area for one dollar each for a round trip. (Messenger, 7-13-1893)
July 22, 1893
Papers of incorporation were filed in Superior Court for the Carolina Beach Pleasure Club. The corporators were Messrs. Hans A. Kure, E.H. Freeman, J.J; Dray, W.H. Gerken, F. Richter and F.B. Rice. The capital stock was $5,000 and the limit of corporation was 30 years. The general purpose and business of the company was social. (Messenger, 7-23-1893)
July 23, 1893
The Rev. J.W. Lee preached at Carolina Beach. The morning service was held in the pavilion and the evening service was held in the hotel dining room. (Messenger, 7-22-1893)
July 25, 1893
The Hanover Lodge No. 145, Odd Fellows, celebrated their first anniversary by giving an excursion to Carolina Beach. Refreshments were served at the pavilion and on the boats. (Messenger, 7-25-1893)
August 3, 1893
Jacob S. Horne and D. W. Trask began their term of office as magistrates or justices of the peace for the Federal Point Township. (Star, 7-30-1893)
August 3, 1893.
An election was held at Carolina Beach for “city officers” with the following result, viz: Mayor – John J. Fowler; Aldermen – H. I. McDuffie, R.H. Grant, M.J. Cobett, H.C. McQueen, W.A. Robeson, J.W. Murchison; Chief of Police – C.A. Patrick; City Attorney – N.A. Sinclair; City Physician – W.A. Hodges; Clark of Market – A,D. Brown; Health Officers – J.W. Cotton and C.G. Southerland; Clerk of Court – D. McEachern; Standard Keeper – J.A. Springer; City Surveyor – W.A Willson; Treasurer – E.H. Sneed; Janitor – Walter Bergen; Supt. Water Works – Bonner Southerland; Supt. Street Carts, D. O’Connor; Captain Police – J.C. Stevenson; Sergeant Police – Fred Hashagen; Policemen – G.W. Linder, Isaac Bates, H.L. Vollers, A.J. Kure, E.P. Bailey, W.L. Smith, C.W. Yates, W.P. Price; Detectives – Chas. Grainger and Bob Collins. (Star, 8-4-1893)
August 13, 1893
The hotel this season has been under the control of the company, and under the excellent management of Mrs. Mayo, and there has been not a murmur of complaint. The house is well kept in all departments, the table at all times and under all circumstances has been well supplied with choice, well-served viands, and Mrs Mayo had proved herself equal to every occasion. (Star, 8-13-1893)
August 16, 1893
Today was the most perfect day of the season at Carolina Beach. The ocean front for nearly a mile was dotted with bathers, nearly 300 being in the surf at one time. (Star, 8-17-1893)
August 28, 1893
A number of residents of Carolina Beach published a resolution in the WILMINGTON MESSENGER newspaper about the gallant and efficient Hans A. Kure. It read in part as follows:
“Before the storm had burst in all its fury, Mr. Hans A. Kure visited the beach, and, going from cottage to cottage, tendered to the inhabitants the hospitality of his residence situated a short distance from the beach. In the midst of impending danger, while the billows were lashing the beach and encircling many of the cottages, Mr. Kure, with the assistance of a number of white fishermen, by Herculean effort, rescued the valuables from the threatened cottages and transported them to a point of safety. His ministration to the needs and comfort of many who sought shelter at his residence elicited the highest praise. To him is justly due and cordially tendered the heartfelt gratitude of all. (Messenger, 9-3-1893)
August 28, 1893
During the hurricane there was a high tide at Carolina Beach. It broke over the beach into the sound and washed up the boardwalk in front of the cottages. Some of the fences were blown down, but no other damage was done. Capt. Harper brought his steamer WILMINGTON to the beach to be in readiness to take the people off. They found everything quiet and no one alarmed. Residents in the cottages situated for a mile along the beach preferred to stay in their cottages. Many of the beach visitors wanted the opportunity to see the ocean in all its grandeur, with the wild waves lashing the beach, throwing the surf high in the air. The river was remarkably smooth at the pier, on account of the land-locked situation of the wharf, and no rough water was experienced until later when it returned to Wilmington. (Star, 8-29-1893)
September 11, 1893
The last group of the summer residents moved up to Wilmington from Carolina Beach. The lower deck of the steamer WILMINGTON was well filled with a miscellaneous assortment of furniture and baggage. Even a cat, nicely boxed, was included in the variety. (Star, 9-12-1893)
October 13, 1893
During the terrible hurricane very minor damage was done to the buildings, bath houses or residences on Carolina Beach, with the exception of fences, which were generally blown down or washed away. A few of the residences had their doors forced open and some panes of glass were blown in. The only damage of consequence was to the railroad track which had been badly washed at several points between the beach and the river. The pier leading out into the river was, however, all gone, except the pilings; the entire superstructure with ties and rails, having been washed away.
The storm raged with great fury at “The Rocks.” Six small cottages were demolished and swept away, the wharf being destroyed, and much damage was done to the fishing boats and nets. Mr. Hans A. Kure lost seines, nets, boats, and other articles belonging to his fishery. (Star, 10-15-1893)
October 14, 1893
During the recent terrible storm, fears were entertained for the safety of two men in charge of the Government Wharf at Corncake Inlet. When last seen they were on the wharf and the waves were washing over it. They were surrounded on all sides by water. The men are the watchman, Mr. George W. Hewett, and Nelson McCoy, the colored cook. (Messenger, 10-14-1893)
October 15, 1893
Hans A. Kure was advertising that he had lost the following: LOST, during the storm Friday, at “The Rocks,” two large seines, sixteen gill nets forty meshes deep, eight boats and a number of gears belonging to my fishery. Also one “pike” net. (Star, 10-15-1893)
Thee Bill Reaves files contained no news articles for Federal Point, Carolina Beach or Kure Beach for the year 1894.
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994