News Articles – 1891

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch, Wilmington Messenger

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

January 9, 1891
The steamer SYLVAN GROVE was destroyed by fire at Northrop’s wharf, opposite Wilmington. The vessel belonged to the Southport and Carolina Beach Steamboat Company. A new boat was to be built or a railroad built to Carolina Beach. (Messenger, 1-10-1891; 1-11-1891)

 

January 25, 1891
Surveyors were running a line from Wilmington to Carolina Beach via Masonboro. It was stated that they found the distance from the corner of 9th and Ann Streets to Masonboro Sound, to be 5 1/4 miles. (Star, 1-25-1891)

 

January 31, 1891
Parties interested in the proposed railroad to Carolina Beach and Federal Point, by way of Masonboro Sound, were attempting to secure the right-of-way through the property of some of the citizens who owned land through which it is proposed to run the road. (Messenger, 1-31-1891)

 

January 31, 1891
Parties who were interested in the proposed railroad from Wilmington to Federal Point via Masonboro Sound, were visiting in Southport securing rights of way from owners of property. (Star, 1-31-1891)

 

March 7, 1891
The Fort Fisher Land and Improvement Company had been organized with the Hon. W I. Clopton and Mr. James T. Bradley, of Manchester, Va., and Mr. E.E. Mayo, of Wilmington, as the officers of the company. The company was capitalized with $12,000.

They had already purchased a considerable amount of land around Fort Fisher, and they planed to lay it off into streets and lots to be put on the market as sites of summer residences. Mr. L.G. Cherry, the well- known civil engineer, had prepared an elaborate and handsome topographical and town plot.

The developers plan to erect a handsome and commodious hotel under the walls of the historic old fort. A railway was to be built along the beach from Carolina Beach to the fort. (Messenger, 3-7-1891)

 

March 23, 1891
Mr. W.L. Smith, of the New Hanover Transit Company, departed for the North for the purpose of selecting a boat to run on the line to Carolina Beach. He is looking for a real “hummer.” (Star, 3-22-1891)

 

March 27, 1891
Capt. T.J. Burriss, 75, died near Carolina Beach. He was probably the oldest pilot on the North Carolina coast. During the Civil War he brought in many of the blockade runners loaded with supplies for the Confederate government. Everybody who knew him loved the genial and kindly old pilot. (Star, 4-3-1891)

 

April 12, 1891
Mr. Henry Bacon, Sr. died at his residence in Wilmington. He was born in Natick, Mass, in 1822. His engineering career commenced in New England, and later on he was appointed to the charge of harbor work on the Great Lakes. From there Mr. Bacon came to the Cape Fear River at the request of Col. Craighill in January, l876, just at the commencement of the lower river improvements. For a few years he lived at Smithville, coming to Wilmington about 1889.

For over 15 years he had charge of the Cape Fear River improvements to which he devoted the best years of his life. The work under his charge had been very successful the depth of the river having been increased gradually from 7 1/2 to 12 feet, then to 16 feet, and work had already begun on a depth of 20 feet. He was survived by his widow, two daughters and four sons. Funeral will be held from the First Presbyterian Church in Wilmington. (Star, 4-17-1891)

 

April 24, 1891
The Messrs. Hinton, proprietors of the Purcell House, in Wilmington, leased the hotel at Carolina Beach, with the bathing house and other privileges pertaining thereto. (Star, 4-24-1891)

 

April 24, 1891
Capt. John W. Harper went north a few days earlier to select a steamer to run the summer schedule between Wilmington and Carolina Beach. He purchased a boat admirably suited for the purpose and was to bring it to the Cape Fear area in a few days.

The new steamer was already named WILMINGTON, as it had been used for running as an excursion boat between Philadelphia, Chester and Wilmington, Delaware. It has an iron propeller, 130 feet long, 23 feet 6 inch beam and draws six feet six inches. She had two compound engines, 14 1/2 by 17 and 26 by 17, with a Scotch boiler, and she was in every respect as good as new. She had three decks, with saloons on the main and upper decks. She was able to make between 15 1/2 and 16 miles per hour when desired. She was a steady, excellent sea-going boat. (Star, 4-24-1891)

 

April 25, 1891
Capt John W. Harper and his crew are expected here soon with the new steamer WILMINGTON, which he bought for the Carolina Beach business of the New Hanover Transit Company. The new steamer sailed from Wilmington, Delaware, and it was to come by the inside passage until Ocracoke is reached. (Messenger, 4-25-1891)

 

April 25, 1891
A large map demonstrating the line of the projected railroad from Carolina Beach to Fort Fisher, was drawn for and prepared from an actual and accurate survey made by Capt. L.D. Cherry, civil engineer and surveyor, for the Carolina Beach Land and Development Company. The map is six feet long by three feet wide and was prepared with extreme care and was drawn from an actual and careful survey made by Capt. Cherry. It covers the entire ground between Myrtle Grove Sound and Fort Fisher, and from the Cape Fear River to the Atlantic Ocean, all clearly and intelligently defined. Many hope that Capt. Cherry will make a duplicate and have it framed in glass to hang in our Library room. (Messenger, 4-25-1891)

 

April 29, 1891
The steamer WILMINGTON made her initial trip to Carolina Beach and Southport. Capt. John W. Harper was the owner and master of the vessel, and it was to be operated in connection with the New Hanover Transit Company. (Messenger, 4-30-1891; 5-1-1891)

 

May 1, 1891
The crew of the steamer WILMINGTON, in her trips between Wilmington and Carolina Beach for this season were:

  • Master – Capt. John W. Harper.
  • Mate – Mr. A. Mc. Wilson.
  • Engineer – Mr. Thomas Walton.
  • Steward – Gib Davis, colored.
  • Fireman – Peter Griffin, colored.
  • Deck Hand – Dan Smith, colored. (Messenger, 5-1-1891)

 

May 3, 1891
The carpenters were busy erecting several new houses at Carolina Beach. (Star, 5-3-1891)

 

May 10, 1891
A building was being erected at Carolina Beach for a ten-pin alley for the amusement of the ladies and children during the excursion season. (Star, 5-10-1891)

 

May 11, 1891
Mr. J.H. Hinton took a party of Methodist bishops and clergymen down to Carolina Beach on the steamer WILMINGTON, and left them to camp out for a few days and enjoy the bracing atmosphere of the breezes as they come in from the old ocean. (Messenger, 5-12-1891)

 

May 14, 1891
Professor Miller’s Orchestra was to play at Carolina Beach this season. Another member of the orchestra had just arrived from Baltimore, Md., making five in all. They were to play every day except Sundays and Mondays.

The Germania Cornet Band had also been engaged to give a concert every Friday afternoon. The band was composed of 18 pieces and they were now practicing two or three times a week. They will play the very latest music out.

The music stand is to be placed on the beach in front of the centre of the Hotel Oceanic, and a number of seats are to be erected in front of the hotel for the visitors. Among other improvements is a new platform to get on and off the railroad cars at the hotel.

Messrs. E.L. and J.H. Hinton, lessees of the Hotel Oceanic, plan to formally open the hotel on May 16th. Mr. J.H. Hinton was to be the host at the hotel, Mr. Will Morrison, the clerk, Mr. Chas. W. Williams to be in charge of the saloon. The hotel was to be conspicuous by three large flags that will be floated from the roof. The Messrs. Hinton were also to run the bath houses, and they were having 200 new swim suits made for gentlemen and ladies. A lady will be in charge of the ladies’ bath house and Mr. J.D. Smith will be in charge of the gentlemen’s. (Messenger, 5-14-1891)

 

May 15, 1891
That necessary improvement, dredging out the “cut” to Carolina Beach was going on this week. Wilmington parties had the contract. (Messenger, 5-15-1891)

 

May 17, 1891
The Oceanic Hotel, Carolina Beach, was now open for the accommodation of guests. Dinner was 50 cents. Hotel rates were $2.00 per day. The proprietors were E.L. and J.H. Hinton. (Messenger, 5-30-1891)

 

May 20, 1891
THE DAY WE CELEBRATE – Today was the 116th anniversary of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence, and the General Assembly of North Carolina had made it a legal holiday and was generally observed throughout the State. Many business houses, as well as the banks, post offices, etc. were closed all day.

WILMINGTON LIGHT INFANTRY – At the beach the day will be signalized by the annual target shooting of the company, a beautiful sword drill by twelve picked members of the same, a hundred yards running race, etc. The company will be accompanied by the Second Regiment Cornet Band, and Professor Miller’s Orchestra will also go down to furnish music for enjoyment and dancing. (Messenger, 5-20-1891; 5-17-1891)

 

May 20, 1891
Messrs. E.L. and J.H. Hinton, of the Hotel Oceanic, at Carolina Beach, fed about 400 people on the occasion of the Wilmington Light Infantry excursion, and many persons declared that the dinner was the best seashore dinner they ever had. The cooking was splendid and there was an abundance of delicious fish, soft shell crabs, deviled crabs, clams, etc., not to mention regular dishes and condiments, fruits and ice cream. Mr. Will Morrison was in charge of the dining room. He will help to make the Oceanic popular. (Messenger, 5-21-1891)

 

May 20, 1891
The Wilmington Light Infantry celebrated their 38th anniversary at Carolina Beach. They were escorted by the Second Regiment Band aboard the steamer WILMINGTON. Messrs. Peterson Brothers photographed the group at parade rest on the hurricane deck of the steamer. On arrival at Carolina Beach they were ordered to report for target practice at 12 noon, which was held just east of the pavilion. Sgt. Ed. Moore was awarded the first prize, a gold Star, which was presented b ya friend, Mr. J.W. Bolles. The second prize, the company medal, was won by Capt W.R. Kenan. The third prize, a gold-headed cane, by Private Ives.

After the target practice the Company repaired to the Oceanic Hotel and had a most excellent dinner, which was gotten up in a very elaborate style by the Messrs. Hinton Brothers. After dinner some of the men took a dip in the ocean. At 4:30 p.m. sixteen men, under command of Sgt. Moore, fell in at the pavilion and went through a beautiful maneuver, the fancy sword drill. After the drill some of the members of the Company gave an exhibition of fancy bicycle riding, and Cpl. Charlie Grainger was voted by the large crowd as being the most expert.
At 5:30 p.m. six of the athletic members of the Company were on the beach for a 50 yards foot race. The first prize was won by Pvt. J.R. Turrentine, Jr., he making the time in seven seconds.

After this, the call was sounded by the leader of the Second Regiment Band, Mr. Arthur Whiteley, and the band marched up on the porch of the hotel and there they played some sweet music. At 9 p.m. the whistle sounded for the last train. The Company returned to the city at 11 p.m. Thus ended one of the most pleasant days in the history of the Company. the number of passengers was estimated at 800. (Star, 5-21-1891)

 

May 21, 1891
Carolina Beach Items of Interest:

  • Mr. Hans A. Kure had about finished his bowling alley building at the beach
  • Messrs. Hans A. Kure, G. Smith, and Charlie Williams went over on the wreck of the old blockade runner BEAUREGARD and caught seventy-five fine fish in about thirty minutes. In the lot was a sheepshead that weighed fifteen pounds. This big fish was baked and made a meal for nine persons.
  • Messrs. H.C. McQueen and William Struthers were building cottages at Carolina Beach
  • Mr. C.I. Comfort had placed four or five of his musical phonographs at Carolina Beach. (Messenger, 5-2-1891)

 

May 23, 1891
Messrs. Hans A. Kure and J.D. Smith, at Carolina Beach, caught 42 sheepshead, beside a large quantity of croakers, bream, sailor’s pride, stone crab and other varieties of salt water fish in the space of three-fourths of an hour. They fished from the old wreck near the Oceanic Hotel, and they were well satisfied with the results. Mr. Kure knows just where the excellent fishing grounds are and just when the fish will bite greedily. (Messenger, 5-26-1891)

 

June 1, 1891
Amos Wallace, of Federal Point Township, was exempted from poll tax and road duty on account of physical disability. (Star, 6-2-1891)

 

June 2, 1891
Professor Miller’s Orchestra began its engagement at Carolina Beach. The following are the performers in the orchestra: Professor John G. Miller, Sr. first violin; Mr. William Smith, second violin; Mr. William Dupreze, basso; Mr. A,C, Miller, clarinet; Mr. John G. Miller, Jr. cornet. The orchestra will play every day during the season, except Sundays and Mondays. (Messenger, 6-3-1891)

 

June 5, 1891
The Germania Cornet Band held their first concert at Carolina Beach. They were to appear every Friday at the beach. The following program of choice music was to be rendered at their concert:

March – WASHINGTON POST, by Sousa.
Cornet Solo – POLKA IMPULSE, by Prof. J.G. Miller, Jr.
Waltz – GONDOLIER, by Otto Roeder.
Overture – LUSTSPIEL, by Keler Bela.
Reverie – WAYSIDE CHAPEL, by D.G. Weber.
Schottische – BEWITCHING EYES, by I.S. Peckham.
Medley Selection – SOUTHERN PLANTATION SONGS, By L. Couterno.
Galop – DAY EXPRESS, by W. P. Chambers.

There are four boats down and four boats back every day. (Messenger, 6-3-1891)

 

June 9, 1891
(adv) Hans A. Kure erected a building at Carolina Beach for amusements, which included a first class bowling alley, billiard and pool tables. The building also included a No.1 family grocery store. Oranges, lemons, bananas, and other fruits always on hand. A full assortment of canned goods. Ice available in any quantity. (Messenger, 6-9-1891)

 

June 11, 1891
Professor Miller’s Orchestra delighted the large excursion party from the Brooklyn Baptist Sunday School, who were there in force, with some of their beautifully sweet strains of music, the selections being mostly of a sacred character. No dancing music was played, but even those present who were fond of dancing, partook of the delight and listened with most pleased and earnest attention.  (Messenger, 6-13-1891)

 

June 11, 1891
Life Saving Arrangements at Carolina Beach:

Mr. J.C. Smith, manager of the bath houses at Carolina Beach, wore one of Messrs. H.H. Munson & Company’s safety bath suits underneath his clothes and was therefore a one man life saving crew. This was done for the protection of bathers, and besides a surf boat was kept on the beach in case of emergency.

Mr. Smith put on the safety suit yesterday and went about a half mile to sea. The suit worked like a charm, and he was enabled to either float without effort or stand in the water and hold both hands out of the water over his head. The safety feature of this bath suit consists in a rubber chamber which can be inflated by blowing through a tube attached for the purpose.(Messenger, 6-11-1891)

 

June 12, 1891
The Germania Cornet Band gave a magnificent concert which charmed the large number of visitors to Carolina Beach. There was lots of music and dancing. The program included:

March – NATIONAL FENCIBLES, by Sousa.
Medley – THE RAGE IN IRELAND, by E. Bayer.
Serenade – PLEASANT DREAMS, by W. S. Ripley.
Waltz – AUF WIEDERSEHN, by E. Hl Bailey (by special request)
Overture – FAUST UP TO DATE, by Wagner.
Schottisch – LITTLE GRACY, by J.O. Casey.
Polka – WEST POINT, by M. Tabney.
March – AMONG COMRADES, by C. Faust. (Messenger, 6-13-1891)

 

June 14, 1891
Carolina Beach Notes:

  • Turtle egg hunting is engaged in by all the residents with much success.Music has been furnished by Professor Miller’s Band and it was judged as the very best. The dancers were just carried away.
  • A special bill of fare was offered all next week at the Oceanic Hotel, and it included soft crabs, deviled crabs shrimp, etc.
  • Messrs. Edgar Hinton and Will Morrison, who have their horses and turnouts on the beach, pronounced the drive on the beach finer than the turnpike. Twelve miles of the finest beach in the South. (Messenger, 6-14-1891)

 

June 15, 1891
A Bear Hunt Near Carolina Beach – Capt. John W. Harper, of the steamer WILMINGTON, reported that a party of men found the track of a bear and its cub entering Hunt Swamp, a mile north of Fort Fisher. Plans were made for a bear hunt, and they firmly believed they could catch the bruin. The largest tracks seen are pretty good sized ones, although the bear seen in the same vicinity last year was a small black bear. There is no hoax, there is certainly a bear wandering around the area. (Messenger, 6-16-1891)

 

June 16, 1891
Professor Miller’s Orchestra rendered a special program at Carolina Beach. It included:

March – MAJESTIC HARMONY, by Richard Wagner.
Overture – MONK OF ST. BERNARD, by Emil Iserman.
Waltzes from the opera THE YOEMAN OF THE GUARD, by Sullivan.
Medley overture – HOME MEMORIES, by E.N Catlin.
Polka – DAINTINESS, by Wohanka.
Selections from the opera BLACK HUSSAR, by Millocker.
NOCTURNE, by Jungman.
Gallop – FUN IN THE SKATING RINK, by Moses Toberni.

 

June 17, 1891
Jim Smith, of the Oceanic Hotel, did some excellent work this evening. The kitchen caught fire when the dining room was filled with guests, but Jim was equal to the emergency. No alarm was given, and with assistance at hand he soon suppressed the flames and then informed the guests. Some of the ladies’ eyes were as large as “saucers’ when they were told about it. (Messenger, 6-19-1891)

 

June 18, 1891
Mr. M.J. Corbett and family had moved to Carolina Beach for the season. Mr. Corbett thought his chances of election as “Mayor of the Beach” were very good. Election was on June 19th. Acting Mayor Nolan, who had been quite sick, was out and able to hold court. (Messenger, 6-18-1891)

 

June 18, 1891
Notes from Carolina Beach:

  • Surf bathing continued to be excellent
  • The Oceanic Hotel was in full blast
  • Will Morrison was the desk clerk at the Oceanic Hotel
  • Capt. J.C. Skinner met with fine luck fishing off the wreck of the VENUS
  • Three hundred and fifty sheepshead had been caught around the wreck in one week
  • James D. Smith was in charge of the Bath House. (Messenger, 6-21-1891; 6-18-1891)

 

June 19, 1891
Carolina Beach held an election. At 6 a.m. acting Mayor Nolan opened the polls and after the judges of election were sworn in, the voting commenced. The old staid and settled citizens were as much interested as the younger ones.

The official count was as follows: Democratic 117; Alliance 119; Republican 111; Independent 128; Greenback 123; Prohibitionist 3. It was pretty evident that the Greenback ticket would be elected.

The residents on the other side of the creek, commonly known as St. Joseph’s, intended to hold an election of their own and none but bonafide residents and visitors will be entitled to vote. Mr. J. Samuel Brown, a resident of that area, intended to make a fight for all it is worth. (Messenger, 6-20-1891)

 

June 19, 1891
Mr. D. McD Grady and family, of Fayetteville, removed to Carolina Beach to spend the summer. They recently spent several days there and were so delighted that they made up their minds to rent a cottage. (Messenger, 6-20-1891)

 

June 20, 1891
A surprise balloon ascension occurred at Carolina Beach at 4 p.m. The aeronaut was Mlle. DeGrace, a very frail looking woman, looking about 18 or 19 years of age, and very pretty. She was assisted by Professor Houston into the balloon car, and the Professor was helped by Messrs. Walton, Webb and others in cutting the line of the mammoth air ship and it started on its graceful journey toward the clouds.

The lady and her balloon soon disappeared from view and a searching party was organized to follow the direction taken by the balloon, and late in the afternoon it was discovered that she had landed safely at Masonboro. She was escorted to the city where she was allowed to rest after the fatigue and excitement of the day. She later received visitors at the Purcell Hotel in Wilmington. (Star, 6-21-1891)

 

June 24, 1891
Mr. Horace Springer, while at Carolina Beach, slew an alligator over on the lake near the hotel. The gator was about five feet in length. (Messenger, 6-25-1891)

 

June 26, 1891
The Germania Band presented the following program at Carolina Beach:

March – FANFANI, by Franz V. Supple.
Conet Solo – ENCHANTMENT, by John Miller, Jr.
Overture – BRUNSWICK, by Linson.
Waltz – LOVE’S DREAM, by O. Roeder.
Baritone Solo – KATHLEEN MAVOUREEN, by Wm. Smith.
Reverie – THE WAYSIDE CHAPEL, by G.D. Wilson.
Selection – GEMS OF GEMANY, by E. Beyer.
Galop – SIVOLI, by Zeckoff. (Messenger, 6-26-1891

 

June 26, 1891
Professor Miller’s Orchestra treated visitors to a delightful concert. The select program included:

PRIEST’S MARCH FROM ATHALIA, by Mendelssohn.
SACRED POTPOURRI, by R. Greenwald.
TWILIGHT SHADOWS, RELIGIOUS REVERIE, by I.A. Snow.
SOFTLY RING THE BELLS OF HEAVEN, by E.N. Catlin.
INUS ANIMUM, from STABET MATER, by Rossini.
IN HEAVEN THERE IS REST, by Weisserborn. (Messenger, 6-25-1891)

 

June 26, 1891
The Sunday School of the Grace M.E. Church held their annual excursion to Carolina Beach. About 700 to 1,000 people frequented the beach and enjoyed the invigorating atmosphere

“There was a westerly wind, which lessened the force of the waves and made it essentially a ‘Ladies’ Surf,’ and many of the fair sex took advantage of such an opportunity for a bath unaccompanied by the usual timidity which a rough sea excites.”

The Oceanic Hotel, with E.L. and J.H. Hinton proprietors, had a rush of patronage but the management was equal to any emergency, and they supplied their guests with all the “delicacies of the sea.” (Star, 6-27-1891)

 

June 27, 1891
Notes from Carolina Beach:

  • Horseback riding on the beach is indulged in by the ladies. Numbers of horses are now kept at the beach.
  • Mr. C. W. Yates, the lucky fisherman, spent the day fishing on the wreck of the VENUS
  • Mr. Marcus Sternhberger was spending a few days at the Oceanic. His health is improving fast.
  • Judging from the way people talk, Carolina Beach is growing in public favor. The young people are lavish in their expressions about it, and the old folks are generous in their praise. Everybody talks about the splendid management of the Oceanic Hotel, and a big hotel will surely have to be built.
  • Mr. Luhr Vollers had a cottage nearly completed at Carolina Beach. Mr. W. L. Smith was also having a fine cottage erected. (Messenger, 6-27-1891)

 

June 29, 1891
A very enjoyable concert was given at Carolina Beach by the well-known and famous Quartette Club composed of Mr. E.L. Hinton, soprano; Mr. James Smith, the man-fish tenor; Mr. Pokey Williams, the famous captain of the Noble Order of Owls, basso profunae. His Honor, Mayor Nolan, sang in a sweet falsetto key which was much admired by those present. Mr. Will Morison, otherwise known as Baron Munchhausen, accompanied the Quartette on his guitar with much credit to himself. At the request of the residents of the delightful resort, the concerts would be repeated nightly with change of programme monthly. (Messenger, 6-30-1891)

 

June 30, 1891
A competitive jig took place at Carolina Beach after the arrival of the 2:30 p.m. boat. Uncle Ned Glavin challenges the world for the dance. There should be lots of fun! (Messenger, 6-30-1891)

 

June 30, 1891
An excursion was given to Carolina Beach for the benefit of the Sisters of Mercy, of the Academy of the Incarnation, Wilmington. This Society had spent thousands of dollars in the education of the poor children of the city, and during the terrible yellow fever epidemic of 1862 they gave of themselves in an unselfish service. This will never be forgotten by Wilmington Citizens. Music was provided all day, and the young ladies of the Academy served a hot dinner at the pavilion. The money that was donated by the pleasure seekers on the excursion was used to further their work within the community. (Messenger, 6-28-1891; 6-30-1891)

 

July 1, 1891
Mr. You Phon Lee, a Chinese Mandarin, graduate of Yale University, delivered a lecture at Carolina Beach in the pavilion building. He appeared in his native costume and told a good deal about China and the people of that country. The lecture was not only interesting and instructive, but portions of it contained a great deal of humor that was refreshing to the audience. At night there was a grand display of fireworks. the last train left at 10 p.m. (Messenger, 6-30-1891; 7-2-1891)

 

July 1, 1891
Mr. Yan Phou Lee, a Chinese Mandarin, delivered a lecture at Carolina Beach. He was a graduate of Yale College and was remarkably proficient in the use of English. His lecture took place in the pavilion shortly after the arrival of the 3 p.m. boat. He appeared in his native dress. (Messenger, 7-1-1891)

 

July 3, 1891
The Germania Cornet Band rendered the following program at Carolina Beach:

March – FORT HENRY, by Brooks.
Overture – LUSPSPIEL, by Keler Bella.
Serenade – PLEASANT DREAMS by Ripley.
Waltz – GONDOLIER, by O. Roeder.
Overture – FAUST UP TO DATE, by R. Wagner.
Gavotte – THE PRETTIEST, by Warren.
Schottische – SOMEBODY’S SWEETHEART, by Moses.
Galop – THROUGH THE SURF, by Robinson. (Messenger, 7-3-1891)

 

July 4, 1891
“There is no miskeeties at this Beach. Plaze attind to ye own business!” was the comment by a lone figure found walking on the beach. Everything was perking early making preparations for the crowds of visitors coming to celebrate the Fourth of July.

The first arrivals sought the surf at once. There was a good sea and the water was pleasant and beautifully blue. By noon the beach was crowded. Dancing began early and the ball room at the hotel was soon thronged with merry dancers who kept time to Miller’s Band or listened with delight to their playing. Everywhere at the Beach one would meet members of the Fayetteville colony who had taken up residence at the beach for the season.

Visitors at the beach were “free from care, light hearted, in the delightful salt air, one could eat the horns off the brass billy goat.” Joe Hinton, of the Oceanic Hotel, said he believed that all of Wilmington was visiting the Beach and all were hungry. From early dinner until late tea and the last train, there was a great deal of interest in the hotel’s dining room. Soft shell crabs, fish and other delightful food was offered. They gave a good dinner, a fine supper, and pleased all.

Fun was going on all day at Kure’s bowling alley. The place was dressed in flags and banners which made it bright and inviting. The afternoon train brought another 500 visitors. There was plenty of dancing, bathing, fishing and eating.

About 1,600 visitors came to the beach and it seemed that one mile of the beach was alive with people and the surf seemed speckled with bathers. The first train home departed at 5:30 p.m., and the last train left at 9 p.m. Carolina Beach closed with increased success and pleasure another Fourth of July for the Beach. (Star, 7-7-1891)

 

July 7, 1891
John W. Riley, while walking over the battleground at Fort Fisher, picked up pieces of shell and a bayonet, mementoes of a memorable contest. (Messenger, 7-8-1891)

 

July 7, 1891
As the train was conveying the passengers from the steamer to Carolina Beach, it was brought almost to a standstill by a lot of cattle who had taken possession of the track, and, although warned by the repeated blasts of the engine whistle, they seemed determined to hold the fort. Among the passengers on the train was Capt. Mayo’s big Newfoundland dog, and the dog along with the passengers stuck their heads out of the window to see what was the matter. The dog at once saw what was the matter and jumping from the train, ran ahead at full speed and drove the cattle from the track so the engine could proceed. Then he trotted peacefully beside the train until it reached the beach. (Messenger, 7-9-1891)

 

July 9, 1891
There was a new wrinkle for fishermen at Carolina Beach. A wire cable an inch in diameter was stretched from the shore to the collection of wrecks of the old blockade-runners that were lying about 200 yards out. A chair or car was to be swung to the cable, in which chair or car any adventurous fisherman could pull himself out to the “old wreck,” and catch sheepshead to his heart’s content without even getting his feet wet. that same “old wreck,” by the way, is said to mark the best fishing found on the South Atlantic coast. (Star, 7-10-1891)

 

July 11, 1891
A rattlesnake was killed under the cottage of Mrs. Robbins, at Carolina Beach. The children were playing under the cottage and were almost on the reptile before it was discovered. The alarm was given and his snakeship dispatched. (Messenger, 7-12-1891)

 

July 10, 1891
The Germania Cornet Band of Wilmington presented a concert of music at Carolina Beach in the afternoon. The program included:

March – MAJOR PERKINS, by Jean M. Mussud.
Cornet Solo – NADIA, by Harry Baxter, played by John G. Miller, Jr.
Gavotte – THE ROSE OF ERIN, by Theo. Moses.
Waltz – (by special request) – LOVE’S DREAMLAND, by Otto Roeder – sung by Male Quartette Medley – THEY’RE AFTER ME, I WAS IN IT, THAT IS LOVE, by H. Prendiville.
Overture – YANKEE TICKLE, by e. Beyer.
Gallop – FAR AND NEAR, by Faust. (Messenger, 7-10-1891)

 

July 12, 1891
The residents at Carolina Beach, feeling the need of Sunday services and having no minister to conduct them, held a meeting looking to supply the want. Upon motion of Oscar Pearsall, J. C. Stevenson was called to preside. It was resolved that some suitable person be appointed to hold such services each Sunday. In accordance with this resolution, J.C. Stevenson was selected to conduct the religious services on this day. (Messenger, 7-12-1891)

 

July 14, 1891
Work on the house at Carolina Beach known as “Smith’s Diagonal,” was progressing. It had been called by many different names, but the architectural reporter of the STAR newspaper said it ought to be called a windmill because it would catch the breeze from every point of the compass. (Star, 7-14-1891)

 

July 15, 1891
Ed. Pemberton and a friend, of Fayetteville, caught 47 large sheepshead from the wreck of the blockade runner BEAUREGARD, sunk off Carolina Beach. The wreck is reached in a basket swung on a wire from the shore. (Messenger, 7-16-1891)

 

July 17,1891
The Germania Cornet Band of Wilmington presented a concert at Carolina Beach. It included:

March – VOLUNTEER , by E. Boetger.
Selection of German Songs – by E. Erserman.
Serenade – DREAM ON, by Ripley
Baritone Solo – KATHLEEN MAVOUREEN, F.N. Crouch, sung by Wm. Smith
Medley March – DOWN ON THE FARM, by Preniville,
Waltz – AUF WEIDERSEHN, by Bailey.
Cornet Solo – ELEANOR POLKA, by Weingard, played by John G. Miller, Jr.
Quick Step – GREAT ATLANTIC, by McCash. (Messenger, 7-17-1891)

 

July 25, 1891
The Germania Cornet Band of Wilmington gave a concert at Carolina Beach. It included:

AMERICAN GUARD MARCH, by Brooks.
Medley Overture – by E. Boetger.
Gavotte – THEPRETTIEST, by Warren
Polka – OUR BABIES, by Langey.
Overture – LUST SPIEL, by Keller and Bell.
Schottische – SOMEBODY’S SWEETHEART, by Moses. Waltz – DREAMLAND, by Roeder.
March – VOLUNTEER, by Boetger. (Messenger, 7-24-1891)

 

July 26, 1891
The Germania Cornet Band of Wilmington gave a sacred music concert. “This excellent band needs no compliment. Their fine music speaks of itself.” A cornet solo by Professor J.G. Miller Jr. was exceedingly fine. (Messenger, 7-26-1891; 7-28-1891)

 

July 28, 1891
The party of Richmond capitalists who comprised the Fort Fisher Land Company were having a fine time catching fish and enjoying themselves generally. The contemplated speedy and substantial improvement of their property. (Messenger, 7-28-1891)

 

August 2, 1891
Professor Miller’s Orchestra, assisted by members of the Germania Cornet Band, rendered a delightful sacred concert. “The genial and chivalric Captain John W. Harper, who commanded the steamer WILMINGTON, left her wharf in the city at 2:30 p.m., and a more delightful sail cannot be conceived than down the rippling Cape Fear on this superb boat.

“Again, no more splendid a beach can be found on the Atlantic coast than the Carolina. The train meets the boat and the engine runs its nozzle right up to the surging billows. No finer water view can be had.

“Music, a boat ride and the swish-swash of the grand waves is a bill of fare to enrapture the soul of a poet.” (Messenger, 8-2-1891)

 

August 4, 1891
Visitors to Carolina Beach were struck with admiration for an exceedingly handsome and unique cottage being erected by Mr. W.L. Smith, and almost completed. The owner set a worthy example in destroying the painful monotony in style of summer cottages. (Messenger, 8-4-1891)

 

August 5, 1891
“A large crowd gazed with admiration of the sylph-like figures of ladies and good-looking boys threading gracefully the German at Carolina Beach.” The dance was led by Rob. Cowen who did it in proper style. ‘Some of the loveliest girls from Wilmington and from all parts of the State, participated with a grace as rare as their faces and forms were radiant. Prof Miller’s Orchestra furnished the music. This was the most successful affair of the season.” (Messenger, 8-5-4891; 8-6-1891)

 

August 7, 1891
A resident of Southport, visiting Fort Fisher last week, reported seeing mosquitoes with stood an inch high when they lighted upon him. Striking them seemed to have no effect, as they could not be crushed with the hand, but flew away when the hand was lifted from the spot. (Messenger, 8-7-1891)

 

August 7, 1891
Mr. H.A. Kure was ordered exempt from tax on pool table and bowling alley at Carolina Beach, on petition of residents of that place. (Star, 8-7-1891)

 

August 14, 1891
At least 2,000 assembled at Carolina Beach to see the balloon ascension by Professor Edward Jewell. About 500 of the spectators repaired to the ground a few hundred yards back of the beach where the airship was to be filled with hot air and from which it was to make the upward bound into the blue ether. Prof. Jewell wore a blue silk shirt with a fancy ruffled front and he was always buoyant with pleasant excitement.

The Professor was carried about 8 or 10 feet up when the “cut-off” attached from the parachute to the balloon broke. Everybody saw that the breaking was accidental. The balloon fell about 300 yards from the starting point. It was a sympathetic crowd and many were to return the next day for the balloon ascension as it should have been. (Messenger, 8-15-1891)

 

August 15, 1891
Professor Edward Jewell, the good-looking young aeronaut, left the earth in his balloon at 6 p.m. and was borne upward into the boundless space on the horizontal bar attached to his big canvas balloon inflated with hot air. He went up to 5,000 feet and came down in the ocean about one mile from shore. About 1,800 people, men and women, old and young, and many children had collected to witness the spectacle.

Bruce and Rowland Freeman with five men each went to Jewell’s rescue with their whale boats. Professor Jewell, when about six feet from the water, sprang into the surf and against the tide and through the breakers swam one mile to the shore, as reckoned by the Freemans. The boats brought in the balloon and all was well. The elegant blue silk shirt and buff silk tights were, of course, dripping as the tired man reached the shore. He was still wearing his brown Derby hat. (Messenger, 6-18-1891)

August 19, 1891
Carpenters are at work at Carolina Beach, enclosing the pavilion to be used as barracks by the visiting military from Fayetteville. (Star, 8-19-1891)

 

August 20, 1891
The Fayetteville Independent Light Infantry Company went into camp at Carolina Beach. Major John B. Broadfoot was commander of the company and there were about 50 men in attendance, besides 20 men of Fayetteville I.L.I. Cornet Band. They were all in uniform. A number of the old veterans of the Company in former days accompanied the Company,” and they had mess with them around the camp fires once again.” (Star, 8-14-1891)

 

August 21, 1891
Professor Ed. Jewell made a successful balloon ascension and parachute drop at Carolina Beach, witnessed by 2,000 people. The balloon was named “La Belle Carolina,” and it ascended to a height of 3,000 feet in the air. Professor Jewell in his blue silk shirt and green tights hung by his toes form under the monster air ship, waved his hat to the spectators, kissed his hand to the girls and did a few trapeze acts in transit.

The parachute was detached and he made a beautiful drop from the 3,000 foot level. He landed on the sound near St. Joseph safely and the balloon fell in the sound and was brought ashore ready for another voyage in the afternoon. The parachute dropped 200 feet before it expanded, and it was a picture of aerial grace and beauty. He repeated this performance a few more times for the ever increasing crowds of spectators. Many boat trips were made from Wilmington for the curious citizens. (Messenger, 8-21-1891; 8-22-1891; 8-23-1891; 8-26-1891)

 

August 25, 1891
A ten-pin tournament was given at Carolina Beach by Mr. Hans A. Kure. The first day was for the ladies and the next day for the men. Handsome prizes were given, which had previously been exhibited at Dinglehoef’s jewelry store in Wilmington. Perfect order was observed at the alleys during the tournament. (Star, 8-21-1891)

 

August 25-26, 1891
The ten-pin tournament at Kure’s place at Carolina Beach promised to be a grand affair and everything was being done to make it pleasant for all who may enter for the prize. There were to be four prizes, and they were not only elegant, but costly. The first day has been set aside for the ladies, and the second day for all who desire to participate in the games. Good order was to be enforced. (Messenger, 8-21-1891)

 

September 2, 1891
The musical event of the season took place in the evening at Carolina Beach, when the combined forces of the Second Regiment Band and the Germania Band performed. The combined band was under the alternate direction of Professor Whiteley, of the Second Regiment Band, and Professor Miller, of the Germania Band. (Messenger, 9-2-1891)

 

September 2, 1891
Professor Miller’s Orchestra gave an excursion to Carolina Beach. There was music galore all day, with a regular concert and dancing in the evening. Prof. Miller wanted it to be a very special day and he added a prize bicycle race on the beach at low tide, when handsome prizes were given for first, second, third and fourth best men, according to their superiority. In addition, Mr. Kure held a ten pin tournament and elegant prizes were awarded to the winners. To accommodate business men who could only attend in the evening, a grand German was given that night. (Messenger, 8-19-1891)

 

October 1, 1891
Beginning today it had been decided to run the Carolina Beach train to connect with the steamer WILMINGTON every Wednesday during the Fall and Winter. (Star, 9-18-1891)

 

December 21, 1891
The Board of County Commissioners ordered that the valuation of the property of Hans A. Kure, in Federal Point Township, be reduced from $2,000 to $1,000, and his personal property from $2635 to $1,350. (Messenger, 12-22-1891)

 

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994