News Articles – 1889

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch, Wilmington Messenger

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

February 3, 1889
Capt. J.W. Harper, the general manager of Carolina Beach was advertising cottages for rent at the beach for the coming season. They were to apply to Mr. Joseph D. Smith at the office of Smith & Boatwright at Wilmington. He also offered liberal terms to those who wanted to erect cottages for themselves. (Messenger, 2-3-1889)

 

March 10, 1889
The grading on the new extension of the New Hanover Transit Company‘s railroad was finished. The steel rails were expected from Philadelphia by schooner on April 1st. Work on a new pier had been started by Capt. Skinner, and it was planned that the pier and railroad line would be completed by May 1st. The building of some cottages at the beach was to begin soon. (Star, 3-10-1889)

 

March 14, 1889
The preparation made by the Carolina Beach Company for the transit to and entertainment of guests and excursionists to their resort are not surpassed in completeness on the coast, and they deserve the most liberal patronage on the part of Wilmington people. (Messenger, 3-14-1889)

 

March 22, 1889
The new railroad from near Gander Hall to Carolina Beach was to be completed by the end of the first week in April. The new pier was in the course of construction. It was to be nearly 500 feet in length, and the trains were to run on it out to the river boats. A number of cottages were in the course of construction. (Star, 3-22-1889)

 

March 30, 1889
The iron rails for laying the new railroad track from the Cape Fear River to Carolina Beach arrived in Wilmington. It was to be laid in a short time. (Messenger, 3-30-1889)

 

March 30, 1889
Mr. W.L. Smith, secretary of the New Hanover Transit Company, which owns the famous Carolina Beach, predicted a lively season at the beach. He reported the rebuilding of the railroad from Harper‘s Pier, on the Cape Fear River, to the Beach, and the building of a substantial pier far out into the river to accommodate the landing of the steamer SYLVAN GROVE.

The new pier was three quarters of a mile nearer Wilmington than the old one, and as a consequence the railroad had to be lengthened nearly a mile. The entire trip from the boat leaving Wilmington until the train arrives at the beach required only 45 minutes. Mr. Smith forecasted that Carolina Beach would be in great shape to receive visitors by May 1st. (Messenger, 3-31-1889)

 

April 3, 1889
A fire occurred in the house of Mr. Henry Taylor, the same being occupied by Messrs. Dave Southerland and W. A. Lea. The house and kitchen and smoke house were all destroyed. Both Southerland and Lea lost everything they had except what they had on. The fire occurred about 1 P.M. today. It is not known how the fire got to the house as Mrs. Lea said there had been no fire in the house all day. (Messenger, 4-5-1889)

 

April 10, 1889
The new engine for the New Hanover Transit Company railroad was expected to arrive today. (Messenger, 4-7-1889)

 

April 16, 1889
H.A. Kure was offering the Carolina Beach Club House and its furniture for rent for the season. (Messenger, 4-16-1889)

 

April 17, 1889
The new locomotive arrived at Wilmington for shipment to the New Hanover Transit Company at Carolina Beach. It is brand new and has a pilot on both ends. On the tender in golden letters are the words: “No.2 Carolina Beach Line.” The engine is dummy style and is a beauty. (Messenger, 4-18-1889)

 

April 19, 1889
The new locomotive for the Carolina Beach railroad was taken down to Harper‘s Pier. (Star, 4-18-1889)

 

April 20, 1889
The New Hanover Transit Company has leased Carolina Beach Hotel to Mr. B.L. Perry, of Beaufort, N.C., and he will open it about May 10th for the accommodation of the public.

The Carolina Beach Hotel is being greatly improved, and 50 rooms will be added this season including the cottages adjacent to it. In all there will be 60 rooms embraced in this delightful seaside caravansary.

Mr. Perry I a veteran hotel man and it will be remembered he was the proprietor of the Purcell House in Wilmington in its balmy days. Another attractive feature at Carolina Beach this season will be a hack line to Fort Fisher, five miles away, also to the great fishing grounds at “The Rocks.” (Messenger, 4-20-1889)

 

April 26, 1889
Capt. B. L. Perry, the former proprietor of the Purcell House in Wilmington, and the Atlantic Hotel at Beaufort, N.C., was to take charge of the hotel at Carolina Beach. Twenty rooms were to be added to the hotel, which in addition to the eight cottages being built, would accommodate a large number of visitors. A line of hacks will be established between Carolina Beach and Fort Fisher, a distance of 5 miles, giving ample opportunity to everyone who desired to fish at the “Rocks.” (Star, 4-26-1889)

 

April 30, 1889
The old homestead of the late Henry Davis, in Federal Point Township, was offered for sale. (Messenger, 4-30-1889)

 

May 2, 1889
Messrs. George and Frank Brown leased the hotel saloon at Carolina Beach again for the season about to open. (Messenger, 5-2-1889)

 

May 3, 1889
The construction gang was hard at work on the new railroad, which was to be superior in every respect to the old road. Captain Walter G. McRae, the engineer, has done his work well. It was to be laid with new steel rails throughout, and with the exception of one curve it was almost a straight line. To further add to the safety of the trains they were to be supplied with air brakes. It was noted that the beach was rapidly assuming the proportions of a seaside village. (Star, 5-3-1889)

 

May 12, 1889
The steamer PASSPORT was brought from New York by Capt. John W. Harper to make the run between Wilmington, Carolina Beach, ‘The Rocks’ and Southport for the summer, making two trips daily, and lying at Southport at night. VOL.II

 

May 14, 1889
The New Hanover Transit Company had erected five handsome cottages of four rooms each, and they were to be offered for rent this season. Mr. William A. French had also built a neat and pretty cottage with four rooms and a kitchen with two rooms. (Messenger, 5-14-1889)

 

May 14, 1889
It was announced that the new railroad track to Carolina Beach had been completed. (Star, 5-14-1889)

 

May 16, 1889
Mr. J. W. Branch, of Wilmington, had built a wind-mill which was to be erected soon at Carolina Beach for the purpose of pumping fresh water for the hotel and for other purposes. A large reservoir was to be built for holding the water. (Messenger, 5-16-1889)

 

May 19, 1889
The steamer SYLVAN GROVE made her first trip from Wilmington to Carolina Beach, where the new season opened. The new railroad had been completed and it was 3 1⁄2 miles long. The cars now had new wheels and air brakes.

Capt John W. Harper continued as commander of the steamer SYLVAN GROVE, and Mr. George Crapon was to be his mate. In addition to this steamer, the PASSPORT will also make regular trips to the beach. The work of improving the hotel continued, and in addition to others, twelve sleeping rooms were added, and later the number of rooms went to number twenty-five or more.

The New Hanover Transit Company erected five handsome cottages of four rooms each, and they were offered for rent. Mr. William A. French, of Wilmington, had also built a neat and pretty cottage with four rooms and a kitchen with two rooms. (Messenger, 5-14-1889)

 

May 19, 1889
W.L. Long was offering a Carolina Beach cottage for sale or rent. The cottage was on a nice lot and it had three rooms with a wide piazza. Good bathing water front. (Star, 5-19-1889)

 

May 19, 1889
The Carolina Beach Railway has been improved. The road and trestle were constructed under the supervision of Mr. Walter S. MacRae, a very competent civil engineer, of Wilmington. (Star, 5-19-1889)

 

May 20, 1889
The season at Carolina Beach opened. It was announced that the Goldsboro Italian String Bad would again furnish music aboard the steamer SYLVAN GROVE and at the Beach during the season. (Messenger, 5-19-1889)

 

May 21, 1889
A portion of the skeleton of the whale, which had been stranded off Wrightsville Beach a few weeks earlier, had been washed ashore at Carolina Beach. (Messenger, 5-21-1889)

 

May 21, 1889
Messrs. S. A. Schloss & Company, the live crockery dealers, have supplied the Oceanic Hotel, at Carolina Beach, with crockery. (Messenger, 5-21-1889)

 

May 28, 1889
The New Hanover Transit Company has decided not to run the steamers SYLVAN GROVE or the PASSORT to Carolina Beach hereafter on Sundays by order of the President of the Company. (Messenger, 5-28- 1889)

 

May 29, 1889
Monday will again be the “colored people‘s day” at Carolina Beach this season. It is understood that they have chartered the steamer SYLVAN GROVE for every Monday for the next two months. (Messenger, 5-19-1889)

 

May 30, 1889
Martin Newman, Chief of the Fire Department, gave an excursion to Carolina Beach, complimentary to the officers and members of Wilmington Steam Fire Engine Company and the officers of Howard Relief Fire Engine Company and Wilmington Hook and Ladder Company and to the ‘Dennis Family of the Board of Alderman.’ The steamer SYLVAN GROVE left at 3 p.m. with a large crowd aboard. The party took supper at the beach and returned to the city late in the evening. Also among the excursionists were ‘His Honor’ Mayor Fowler and Mr. John G. Oldenbuttel, ex-Chief of the Fire Department. (Messenger, 5-29-1889; 5-31-1889)

 

June 1, 1889
The Blessed Ten of the King‘s Daughters, whose motto is “It is more blessed to give than to receive,” held an excursion to Carolina Beach on the steamer SYLVAN GROVE. Refreshments were served on the steamer by the “Ten.” Other bands of the “King‘s Daughters” went along on the trip. The object of the excursion was to raise funds for the establishment of a “Summer Home,” intended for poor sick children who can be sent there to recuperate, and where they can be properly fed, clothed, nursed and looked after. (Messenger, 5-28-1889)

 

June 4, 1889
A license was granted to the Brown Brothers to sell malt liquors at Carolina Beach. (Messenger, 6-4-1889)

 

June 5, 1889
Guests sitting on the porch of the Hotel Oceanic at Carolina Beach saw a rare sight. It was a waterspout which seemed to be about 3 miles off the coast in front of the hotel. It appeared to be several feet in diameter and continued to whirl in the air for 10 to 15 minutes. (Messenger, 6-7-1889)

 

June 9, 1889
(advertisement) – FOR RENT – That attractive Summer Resort “The Rocks.” Nine Cottages, large dining room and kitchen. Good boating, fishing and surf-bathing. Will be rented low to a good tenant. (Messenger, 6-15-1889)

 

June 20, 1889
About 300 excursionists went down to Carolina Beach to attend a picnic given by the Sunday School of St. James Episcopal Church, Wilmington. (Star, 6-21-1889)

 

June 22, 1889
A man-eating shark was seen at Carolina Beach. Mr. A.G. Call spread the word that shark meat was good to eat and the tables may as well be turned. (Messenger, 6-23-1889)

 

June 27, 1889
The excursion of the Howard Relief Fire Engine Company of Wilmington to Carolina Beach was well patronized, despite the bad weather. At the beach there was no rain and the excursionists had a delightful time. In the target shooting the first prize, a gold-headed cane, was won by Mr. C. Richter; the second prize, also a gold-headed cane, was awarded to Mr. M. Rathjen. In the contest for the ladies‘ prize, Miss Mamie Moore made the best shot, and was awarded the prize, a solid silver fruit knife Later another contest was opened for prizes and the first was won by Mr. William Tienken, who made the best shot and was awarded a gold-lined silver cup. The second was won by Mr. J.G. Olderbuttel, who was awarded a silver cup, and the third prize, a gold-lined silver thimble was also won by M. Oldenbuttel. (Star, 6-28-1889)

 

July 4, 1889
D. McEachern was occupying a cottage at Carolina Beach. (Star, 7-7-1889)

 

July 6, 1889
Capt. J. W. Harper, general manager of Carolina Beach, was advertising that the steamers SYLVAN GROVE and PASSPORT left Wilmington daily, except Sundays and Mondays, for Carolina Beach and Southport. He wrote:

  • “Carolina Beach being situated upwards of 10 miles from any channel or inlet calculated to produce dangerous currents, the most experienced can safely enjoy the pleasures of surf-bathing by simply observing the plain rules of prudence and common sense.
  • New still-water bathing houses, supplied with ocean water for ladies and children, were now open, with polite female attendants in waiting.
  • Fresh fish of all kinds could also always be obtained in abundance.” (Star, 7-24-1889)

 

July 6, 1889
Mr. R. W Heide, of Wilmington, is having a handsome cottage erected at Carolina Beach. (Messenger, 7-6-1889)

 

July 7, 1889
The Carolina Beach Company was selling lots for nominal prices in order to place summer houses within the reach of desirable residents. A number of these lots had been purchased by Wilmingtonians for residences. Among them were Messrs. W. A. French, H.A. Kure, D. McEachern and W.H. Yopp. These new residents had buildings either completed or in the course of construction. (Star, 7-7-1889)

 

July 10, 1889
Carolina Beach is growing in popularity every day. Every cottage is occupied and every room at the hotel has been engaged. (Star, 7-10-1889)

 

July 11, 1889
The survivors of the Eighteenth Regiment, North Carolina State Troops, CSA, held their reunion at Carolina Beach. Members of this gallant old regiment resided principally along the Carolina Central Railroad and this was their first reunion. (Messenger, 6-23-1889; 4-21-1889; 5-5-1889; Star, 7-11-1889)

 

July 24, 1889
The Germania Cornet Band accepted an invitation to give an open air concert Carolina Beach every Friday afternoon. A music stand was erected for them near the hotel. They are sure to be greeted by a large audience. (Star, 7-24-1889)

 

July 26, 1889
The Germania Cornet Band gave the first concert of a series announced by the management of the Transit Company. The band played from a stand erected in front of the hotel, the performance beginning at 8 p.m. and ending about 9:10 p.m. The crowd showed their appreciation of the music by heartily applauding each piece. (Star, 7-27-1889)

 

July 26, 1889
Three cottages were to be built immediately at Carolina beach by parties who had recently purchased lots. This was to make 15 cottages at the beach. If more cottages are built, it will be necessary soon to have a mayor, board of aldermen, a post office and a daily mail. (Star, 7-26-1889)

 

July 26, 1889
Three more cottages are in course of erection at Carolina beach. There are now about twelve very pretty cottages there, and other lots are being sold readily. Two streets have been laid out, and Capt. Harper has about decided to call one of them Bay View. (Messenger, 7-27-1889)

 

August 1, 1889
The magistrates for Federal Point Township were Henry Taylor, John L. Cantwell, J. P. Montgomery, J.T. Biddle and Jacob Horn.

 

August 2, 1889
The roof of the kitchen of the hotel at Carolina Beach caught on fire from the chimney, but the fire was speedily extinguished by some of the employees at the hotel and the damage was slight. (Star, 8-3-1889)

 

August 10, 1889
The pretty cottage which Mr. Hans A. Kure is building at Carolina Beach is almost completed. (Messenger, 8-10-1889)

 

August 13, 1889
The guests of the hotel and summer residents at Carolina Beach enjoyed a brilliant but impromptu affair, a carnival which took place at the hotel, under the direction of Mrs. Hahn, as mistress of ceremonies and Mrs. W.A. French as musical director.

The costumes were all in good taste and the piazzas and ball room of the hotel presented a beautiful scene with the gay crowd of gorgeously arrayed promenaders marching to the music of the band. The masks were removed at 11:30 aid much merriment.

The characters represented were:

  • Sister of Mercy – Miss Gray;
  • Ancient Maiden Lady – Mrs. Stevenson;
  • Tambourine Girl and Organ Grinder – Mrs. Bates and Miss Newbury;
  • Old Maid – Mrs. Perry;
  • Aunt Dinah – Mrs. Solomon;
  • Spanish Girls – Mrs. Price and Miss Hartsell;
  • Phantom – Miss Hargrave;
  • Ghost –  Miss Nannie Davis;
  • Sailor Boys – Jennie Bates, Etta Perry, Annie Dundan;
  • Giddy School Girl – Mr. Joe Smith;
  • Country School Girls – Mary Bolles, Edith Bolles;
  • James Stevenson – Lee Solomon;
  • Indians – Reston Stevenson, Willie Gordon
  • ‘Chinaman’ – Arthur Myers;
  • Devil – Ike Solomon;
  • Clown – Jack Perry;
  • Commercial Traveler – H. Newberry;
  • Turk – H.E. Newberry.  (Star, 8-15-1889)

 

August 14, 1889
A whale was among the off-shore visitors at Carolina Beach. Capt. Harper reported that it was about a quarter of a mile out. (Star,8-15-1889)

 

August 20, 1889
A masquerade was held at Carolina Beach and was one of the most brilliant successes of the season. About 800 people attended which was one of the largest gatherings ever seen at this popular resort. The hotel was crowded with merry dancers. Feasting, fun and frolic ruled the hour. A magnificent display of fireworks was given by the managers during the evening. (Star, 8-21-1889)

 

August 20, 1889
The locomotive which was used on the Carolina Beach Railroad in 1888, was sold to the Wilmington, Onslow & East Carolina Railroad. It was brought to Wilmington by Messrs. Balden & Rankin and was towed by the E.G. Barker. This locomotive was to be overhauled at the Atlantic Coast Line shops, and will be used on the W.O. & E.C. as a construction engine. (Messenger, 8-21-1889)

 

August 24, 1889
A considerable number of tired Wilmington business men went to Carolina Beach on the evening boat and were to remain there until the next morning. (Star, 8-25-1889)

 

August 31, 1889
A party of fishermen reported great luck at the Corn Cake Rocks and in the vicinity of Federal Point. They camped on the shell banks and caught shrimp in the vicinity to bait with. They caught about two barrels of tine sheepshead and the finest pig fish ever seen on this coast. Many of the sheepshead were so heavy they broke off the hook before they could be gotten to the top. One of the pig fish caught was 12 inches long, and another fisherman landed a rock fish that measured 2 1/2 feet in length.

Pig fish and sheepshead also bit well at New Inlet Rocks. The fishermen while near Buzzard’s Bay obtained some very fine oysters and a royal roast was consequently enjoyed. The oysters of Buzzard’s Bay are large and fat. It was a sure bet that the fishermen would return at an early date. (Messenger, 8-31-1889)

 

September 29, 1889
Archie Freeman hauled in over 2,000 mullets at Carolina Beach. (Star, 9-29-1889)

 

October 27, 1889
Carl A. Bache, of Carolina Beach, was advertising for sale “A charming place at Carolina Beach, containing 22 1/4 acres, Dwelling, Outhouses, etc., together with Furniture, Cattle, Boats, etc. Owners desiring to locate elsewhere. Terms moderate.” (Messenger, 10-29-1889)

 

November 2, 1889
About 50 excursionists went down to Carolina Beach on the steamer PASSPORT. The weather was delightful and the group spent a charming day on the beach. (Star, 11-3-1889)

 

November 20, 1889
Hans A. Kure and a number of other gentlemen went on a hunt at Carolina Beach. (Messenger, 11-20-1889)

 

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994