News Articles – 1880 – 1882

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch, Wilmington Messenger

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

January 1880
The tax books of 1879 showed that 28 colored people owned 4,338 acres of land valued at $6,125. in Federal Point Township. (Star, 1-25-1880)

 

January 5, 1880
Sundry citizens of Federal Point Township sent a petition to the Board of County Commissioners asking for a discontinuance of Section No.1 of a public road, extending from the 15 mile post on the Federal Point Road to the Poor House. The petition was granted and the road was discontinued. (Star, 1-8-1880)

 

April, 1880
The pilot Boat ROSA SCARBOROUGH, belonging to the Messre. Craig, of Federal Point, when off Little Island in the Cape Fear River, about 10 miles below Wilmington, was struck by a hurricane and capsized and sunk in about 10 or 11 feet of water. The men were saved by taking to a boat which happened to be in tow at the stern. (Star, 4-16-1880)

 

1880
The Bald Head Lighthouse was re-lighted, because the New Inlet was now closed. The Federal Point Lighthouse was found to be useless. VOL.I

 

August, 1880
Capt. John W. Harper, master of the river steamer PASSPORT was the first to refer to the New Inlet Dam as the “Rocks.” He was also the first to take excursion passengers to the point of interest.

 

July 1, 1880
A large water spout was witnessed between Fort Fisher and Sow‘s Marsh, near the mouth of the river. The wind at the time was blowing nearly a hurricane. The water spout covered a space of about 50 yards in circumference, and moved a distance of about 1 1/4 miles. The water from the spout ascended to an altitude of about 100 to 150 feet, and looked like a white funnel-shaped cloud. The phenomenon was witnessed by about 75 persons, including the employees at the government works and a large number of fishermen. (Star, 7-4-1880)

 

August 17, 1880
The steamer PASSPORT was to make her last trip of the season to the “Rocks” at New Inlet. Capt. John W. Harper, master of the steamer, stated that “the tide will exactly suit for a good day‘s fishing at this point, being low water about 12 noon”. (Star, 8-13-1880)

 

September 28, 1880
W.E. Davis, of Wilmington, who had a fishery at Federal Point, caught at one haul, about 16,000 mullets, which, when salted down, would make about 80 barrels. His seine was so loaded down with the mullets that it burst, and he lost many of them. He utilized every barrel that could be found in which to salt his fish down, then filled a good-sized skiff with them, and finally had to bury some for the lack of containers in which to corn them properly to keep them from spoiling. (Star, 9-30-1880)

 

January 18, 1882 …. Federal Point
The headquarters of Mr. Henry Bacon, Assistant Engineer in charge of the government works, was changed from Smithville to Wilmington. (Star, 1-18-1882)

 

May 18, 1882 …. Federal Point
(advertisement) – TO EXCHANGE FOR CITY PROPERTY, or will sell on desirable terms. A Farm on the eastern bank of Cape Fear River, 30 miles from Wilmington; 365 acres; 160 under cultivation, balance good pasture, well timbered. Suitable for truck farming and stock raising. A two-story dwelling house, kitchen, barns, and all necessary outhouses. Address inquiries to A.C. care of  Star Newspaper. (Star, 5-18-1882)

 

August 29, 1882
The Federal Point Fishing Club was organized recently and a piece of property picked out for their club building. They enjoyed fish and soft crab suppers and enjoyed the delightful breezes and had a splendid time. The site was wonderful reaching from the river to the ocean.

The building for the accommodation of the club was 40 by 15 feet in dimensions and had a double piazza facing on the north and south. The house had been nicely furnished and supplied with crockery, Mr. Henry Bishop having charge of the culinary department. (Star, 8-29-1882)
Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994