News Articles – 1877

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch, Wilmington Messenger

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

March 9, 1877 …. Federal Point
The school house for white pupils was destroyed during a terrible storm. An application made by Stephen Keyes of Federal Point Township for $50 from the general school fund to rebuild the schoolhouse in Federal Point Township was granted by the County Commissioners. (Star, 6-6-1877)

April, 1877 …. Federal Point
A terrible gale broke over and washed the beach between New Inlet and Bald Head Island for a distance of 3,000 feet, leaving the entire area covered with water about one foot below ebb tide, and there was made a narrow passage of greater depth, which became known ‘Philips‘s Inlet,” through which at high tide some very light draft vessels could pass. By November, 1879, the passage was closed at low tide. (Star, 7-11-1879)

April 4, 1877. …. Federal Point
Mr. Armstrong Hall, engineer of the steam tug ROYAL ARCH, presented a petrified lobster and a petrified oyster for inspection by the MORNING STAR newspaper. They were unearthed recently on the Cape Fear River at the “Magnolia Tree”  quarry, where rock was being quarried for the government works at New Inlet. The lobster and oyster were found at a depth of 18 feel below the surface of the earth, and they were almost perfect in shape. (Star, 4-4-1877)

April 21, 1877
Chares M. Epps was the teacher in the public school for colored children in Federal Point Township. His records showed that he had 34 “scholars of African race,” 24 boys and 10 girls. The average attendance was 24. There was only one teacher.

July 19, 1877 …. Federal Point
The newly appointed Justices of the Peace, or Magistrates, representing Federal Point township, included: Hosea L. Horne, for six years; John H. Savage, for four years; Stephen D. Keyes, for two years. (Star, 7-19-1877)

August 18, 1877 …. Federal Point
FOR SALE – 360 acres of land with four dwelling houses, kitchens, and all necessary out-houses, situated at the head of Myrtle Grove Sound, convenient to the river end of the beach. Persons wishing to purchase will apply to James T. Burriss, on premises. (Star, 8-18-1877)

September 17, 1877
The Board of County Commissioners elected C.W. Oldham as Constable for Federal Point Township. His bond was fixed at $1,000. (Star, 9-18-1877)

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994