September Meeting – Becky Sawyer talks on the Federal Point Lighthouse

The Federal Point Historic Preservation Society will hold its monthly meeting on Monday, September 16, 7:30 pm at the Federal Point History Center, 1121-A North Lake Park Blvd., adjacent to Carolina Beach Town Hall.

This month Becky Sawyer, from the Fort Fisher State Historic Site, talks about her research into the history and locations of the Federal Point Lighthouse.

From 1817 through 1880, a series of three lights guided mariners into New Inlet through the treacherous shoals of the Atlantic Ocean.  The exhibit,  “When in Five Fathoms Water: The Federal Point Lighthouse,” explains the history of the lighthouses along with its’ connection to Fort Fisher.

Recent finds at the National Archives has shed light on the location of the 1st lighthouse and a petition from local river pilots and boat owners to keep the 3rd lighthouse open.

The exhibit showcases artifacts from the 1963 Stan South archaeological dig of the lighthouse keeper’s cottage and the 2009 archaeological dig of the 1837 Federal Point Lighthouse.  These artifacts have never been on display until now.  Available at Fort Fisher gift shop are reproduction mocha ware mugs based off of examples of mocha ware ceramics found in the 1963 archaeological site.

Becky Sawyer is the Collections Manager and Exhibits Coordinator for Fort Fisher State Historic Site.  A native of the St. Louis area, Becky holds a BS in Historic Preservation from Southeast Missouri State University and an MA in Public History from the University of North Carolina at Wilmington.  She has over 20 years of Civil War history experience with the NC Historic Sites Division of which 13 years were at Fort Fisher.  She has curated several of the temporary exhibits at Fort Fisher including “An Eminent Work of Charity and Justice: The Jewett Patent Leg” and “Minerva versus Discord: The Medal of Honor”.


President’s Letter – September, 2019

Kure Memorial Lutheran Church, Part V

June 26, 1955, members of the Church Council are pictured in front of the cross in the new church:  L-R Oscar Wren, Merritt Foushee, Jason Lentz, Rev. David Johnson, Bob Ford, Lawrence C. Kure, Bob Hooker, Fred Schenk and Bill Williford. (The photo was taken by Bill Robertson, son in law of Lawrence Kure and then owner of the Kure Pier). These men had not only planned and raised the funds for the new building, but were also literally the driving force behind the construction and must have felt a great sense of pride on that dedication Sunday.

The church already had a Luther League for the youth and they sponsored a Boy Scout Troop.  They also had a weekday church school on Tuesday afternoons, a Women of the Church group with 34 members and basketball teams for boys and girls that played the other church teams on the island. Rev. David Johnson left in 1956 and was replaced by Rev. William Johnson, Jr. who served until 1957.  Rev. Corley Lineberger came next serving from 1957 till 1960.

In the 60’s, Kure Lutheran started a kindergarten that met weekday mornings during the public school year. In 1962, they built a new Fellowship Hall and air conditioned the sanctuary.  There was a fire in the nave in 1964 that burned the back set of arches and part of the roof that had to be repaired. Two years later they  remodeled and air conditioned the parsonage.  Pastors during the 60’s were Rev. Donald Loadholdt, 1961-62 and Rev. Ronald Weinelt, 1962-1970.

Next month: Kure Memorial Lutheran Church, Part VI


More about the Lords Proprietors of “Carolina”


(From Wikipedia)

In the beginning of the European colonial era, trade companies such as the East India Company were the most common method used to settle new land. This changed following Maryland’s Royal Grant in 1632, when King Charles I granted George Calvert, 1st Baron Baltimore proprietary rights to an area east of the Potomac River in exchange for a share of the income derived there. Going forward, proprietary colonies became the most common way to settle areas with British subjects. The land was licensed or granted to a proprietor who held expanse power. These powers were commonly written into the land charters giving the lord proprietor the power to create courts and laws, establish governing bodies and churches, and appoint all governing officials.

Each proprietary colony had a unique system of governance reflecting the geographic challenges of the area as well as the personality of the lord proprietor. The colonies of Maryland and New York, based off of English law and administration practices, were run effectively. However, other colonies such as Carolina were mismanaged. The colonies of West and East Jersey as well as Pennsylvania were distinct in their diversion from the traditional monarchial system that ruled most colonies of the time. This was due to the large number of Quakers in these areas who shared many views with the lords proprietary.

Effective governance of proprietary colonies relied on the appointment of a governor. The lord proprietor made the governor the head of the province’s military, judicial, and administrative functions. This was typically conducted using a commission established by the lord proprietor. The lord proprietor typically instructed the governor what to do. Only through these instructions could legislation be made.

In 1629, King Charles I  granted  Sir Robert Heath (the attorney general) the southern half of the English land in the New World between 36 degrees and 31 degrees north latitude from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean. The land was named “Province of Carolina” or land of Charles. Sir Robert’s attempts at settlement failed and in 1645, during the English Civil War, he was stripped of all of his possessions as a Royalist supporter of the King. In 1663, eight members of the English nobility received a charter from King Charles II to establish the colony of Carolina. The eight Lords Proprietors were:

  • Duke of Albemarle(1608–1670)
  • Earl of Clarendon(1609–1674)
  • Baron Berkeley of Stratton(1602–1678)
  • Earl of Craven(1608–1697)
  • Sir George Carteret(c. 1610–1680)
  • Sir William Berkeley(1605–1677)
  • Sir John Colleton(1608–1666)
  • Earl of Shaftesbury(1621–1683).

The Lords Proprietors were anxious to secure Carolina against Spanish attacks from Saint Augustine in Florida, and to do so, they needed to attract more colonists. The Lords Proprietors offered English settlers inducements consisting of religious toleration, political representation in an assembly that had power over public taxes, exemption from quitrents and large grants of land. The Lords allowed settlers of any religion, except atheists. The Lords also had a generous headright system whereby they granted one hundred and fifty acres of land to each member of a family. An indentured male servant who served his term received his freedom dues from his master and a grant of one hundred acres from the Lords Proprietors. In order to attract planters with capital to invest, the Lords Proprietors also gave the owner and master the one hundred and fifty acre headright for every slave imported to the Colony. These incentives drew 6,600 colonists to the colony by 1700 compared with only 1,500 in the Spanish colony of Florida. Carolina attracted English settlers, French Protestants (Huguenots) and other colonists from Barbados and the West Indies.

The first government in Carolina began in Albemarle County in 1664 when William Sayle was appointed as the governor. Proprietary authority was weaker near the Virginia border. The Lords Proprietors established a North Carolina with its own assembly and deputy governor. In 1712, the division of Carolina into North and South was completed with the elevation of the deputy governor to governor of North Carolina.

The Lords Proprietors failed to protect the settlers when enemies attacked or threatened the Colony. For example, during Queen Anne’s War (1702–1713), the colonists drove French and Spanish forces away from Charlestown. Again, between 1715 and 1718, the colonists defended themselves against attacks by the Yamasee Indians and pirates. During these times of conflict, the colonists received little or no help from the proprietors.

The elite group of settlers in Carolina, former West Indians known as the Goose Creek Men, grew increasingly frustrated with the Lords Proprietors because they meddled in politics but failed to defend the colony against Spanish and Native American attacks.

In 1719, the South Carolina assembly sent a petition to England requesting that the proprietors be replaced with Crown administration. King George I appointed royal governors for North and South Carolina, converting the colony’s status to that of a royal colony (England ruled the colony but allowed the people self-government). In 1729, the Crown bought out seven of the eight of the Lords Proprietors for £22,500, approximately the amount they had spent on the colony. The eighth proprietor, John Carteret, Lord Granville, refused to sell and retained title to the lands and quitrents in the northern third of North Carolina.


Society Notes – Sept, 2019

By Darlene Bright, History Center Director

We need your Pictures!

Hurricanes Diana, Bertha, Fran, Dennis, Floyd and even Florence!

We’ve been organizing and cataloging all the photos in our collection. We’ve got lots and lots of pictures from the days right after Hurricane Hazel and the damage caused by what’s called the Great Atlantic Hurricane of 1944, but we have almost no pictures from our “modern” storms.

If you have pictures please consider LOANING them to us to scan and add to our digital archives.  We’ll give them back, and give you a digitial copy as well.  So dig out those scrapbooks or boxes of photos stashed in the closet and help us document an important historic aspect of life on our coast.

  • The History Center recorded 78 visitors in August. There were 52 people at the August meeting.
  • The History Center was used by the Got-Em-On Live Bait Club and the UDC.
  • Welcome to new members Swan and John Gibbs of Rocky Mount and Katherine Schultz of Carolina Beach.
  • Thanks to Steve Arthur for helping with the August Newsletter.Thanks to Anne Hood and Doris Bame providing refreshments for the August meeting.
  • Thanks to everybody who helped with the Boardwalk walking tour: Elaine Henson, Darlene Bright, Leslie Bright, Jim Kohler, Steve Arthur, Doris Bame, Jim Dugan, Fred Fisher.
  • Thanks to Jay Winner for pressure washing the handicapped ramp and the front of the building.

Plaque Program

Our Plaque program is back on track and we’re receiving almost one application a month!

We want to especially thank Ned Barnes and his staff for volunteering to do the title searches on the properties.  This makes the approval of an application much easier on the property owner and on our review committee.

Ned is a longtime business member and supporter of the Society.  If you see Ned, be sure to give him a big thank you for all his support and we highly recommend him for any legal needs you may have.  He’s right on the island at Pleasure Island Plaza, 1009 Lake Park Boulevard, North or call at 910-458-4466.  Thanks again, Ned!