News Articles – 1876

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch, Wilmington Messenger

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

1876
The land now Carolina Beach came into the hands of Bruce Freeman and remained in his family for many years. His family still owns land on Federal Point. (Star, 6-15-1941)

 

January 3-4, 1876
Justice Cassidey spent two days in Federal Point Township, where he went in the capacity of Special Commissioner of the Court of Claims, for the purpose of taking depositions in the cases of parties whose property was destroyed by the Federal troops during the military operations in that section towards the close of the late war. This testimony was to be forwarded to Washington, D.C. to be used by the Court of Claims in connection with the cases alluded to. (Star, 1-6-1876)

 

January 12, 1876
The steam-tug ROYAL ARCH, Capt. Davis, arrived from Georgetown, S.C., and was designed to be employed at the government works (Rocks) now in progress at New Inlet. (Star, 1-13-1876.)

 

January, 1876
Capt. Charles B. Phillips, engineer in charge of the work on the New Inlet Dam (Rocks) was succeeded by Capt. Henry Bacon, of the U.S. Engineer Corps. Capt. Phillips died in Norfolk, VA, about five years later, in June, 1881. VOL.I.

 

January 12, 1876
A man landed at Zeke‘s Island, near the government works (Rocks) in a boat in which he had come all the way from Buffalo, New York. The boat was about 18 feet in length. (Star 1-18-1876)

 

January 30, 1876
A corn vessel went ashore on the beach between Zeke‘s Island and Bay Beach, near the government works (Rocks). She was full of water and the surf was breaking over her. It was thought that she was the schooner SNOW STORM, Capt. Rhodes, of Elizabeth City, N.C. (Star, 2-1-1876)

 

January 31, 1876
The tugboat J.MURRAY, of the fleet employed by the contractors on the government works at New Inlet, ran on a log and carried away her stern-post and rudder, and was then towed up to Wilmington for repairs. (Star, 2-1-1876)

 

January 23, 1876 …. Federal Point
Capt. C.B. Phillips, who recently resigned the position of engineer of the government works, (The Rocks), as succeeded by Capt. Henry Bacon, of the U.S. Engineer Corps. (Star, 1-23-1876.

 

November 17, 1876 …. Federal Point
Messrs. Bangs & Dolby were awarded the contract by the government for supplying 45,000 cubic yards of stone necessary to the further prosecution of the work for the contraction of New Inlet. It was their plan to quarry the rock from the quarry near the river. (Star, 11-17-1876)

 

December 27, 1876
(Advertisement) – LABORERS WANTED. 300 laborers wanted at the U.S. government works, Magnolia Tree Quarry, Cape Fear River. The laborers must provide themselves with blankets; cooking utensils and good quarters will be furnished. BANGS & DOLBY, Contractors. (Star, 12-27-1876)

 

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

News Articles – 1877

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch, Wilmington Messenger

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

March 9, 1877 …. Federal Point
The school house for white pupils was destroyed during a terrible storm. An application made by Stephen Keyes of Federal Point Township for $50 from the general school fund to rebuild the schoolhouse in Federal Point Township was granted by the County Commissioners. (Star, 6-6-1877)

April, 1877 …. Federal Point
A terrible gale broke over and washed the beach between New Inlet and Bald Head Island for a distance of 3,000 feet, leaving the entire area covered with water about one foot below ebb tide, and there was made a narrow passage of greater depth, which became known ‘Philips‘s Inlet,” through which at high tide some very light draft vessels could pass. By November, 1879, the passage was closed at low tide. (Star, 7-11-1879)

April 4, 1877. …. Federal Point
Mr. Armstrong Hall, engineer of the steam tug ROYAL ARCH, presented a petrified lobster and a petrified oyster for inspection by the MORNING STAR newspaper. They were unearthed recently on the Cape Fear River at the “Magnolia Tree”  quarry, where rock was being quarried for the government works at New Inlet. The lobster and oyster were found at a depth of 18 feel below the surface of the earth, and they were almost perfect in shape. (Star, 4-4-1877)

April 21, 1877
Chares M. Epps was the teacher in the public school for colored children in Federal Point Township. His records showed that he had 34 “scholars of African race,” 24 boys and 10 girls. The average attendance was 24. There was only one teacher.

July 19, 1877 …. Federal Point
The newly appointed Justices of the Peace, or Magistrates, representing Federal Point township, included: Hosea L. Horne, for six years; John H. Savage, for four years; Stephen D. Keyes, for two years. (Star, 7-19-1877)

August 18, 1877 …. Federal Point
FOR SALE – 360 acres of land with four dwelling houses, kitchens, and all necessary out-houses, situated at the head of Myrtle Grove Sound, convenient to the river end of the beach. Persons wishing to purchase will apply to James T. Burriss, on premises. (Star, 8-18-1877)

September 17, 1877
The Board of County Commissioners elected C.W. Oldham as Constable for Federal Point Township. His bond was fixed at $1,000. (Star, 9-18-1877)

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

News Articles – 1878

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch, Wilmington Messenger

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

January, 1878
The Board of Education of New Hanover County ordered that an apportionment of two dollars be made from the school fund per capita to the public schools of the various districts. The apportionment for Federal Point District No. 3 – 82 white children; amount $164; 84 colored children; amount, $168. (Star, 1-16-1878)

 

January 2, 1878
Mr. Taylor, the keeper of the Federal Point Lighthouse, dined on a fine, fat duck for his dinner on last Saturday, although it was a rather costly duck to the government. On Friday about midnight, Mr. Taylor was attending to his light, when a duck came crashing through one of the large glasses, falling at his feet dead. The duck had
been blinded and lured to its death by the light. The valuable glass was shattered beyond repair. This was the second time that a bird had crashed into the Lighthouse. (Star, 1-3-1878)

 

January 7, 1878
The steam-tug ORLANDO arrived from Baltimore, which had been purchased by George Z. French, Esq., who had the contract for the present year for closing up New Inlet, and it was designed to take the place of the tug ROYAL ARCH in towing flats to and from the government works at New Inlet and the rock quarry near Rocky Point. Mr. French had four or five new flats constructed for this purpose. Capt. James Williams of Wilmington was in command of the ORLANDO. (Star, 1-8-1878)

 

January 7, 1878
Henry G. Davis resigned as overseer of the Federal Point Road, and W.H. Williams was appointed to the position at a meeting of the New Hanover County Commissioners. (Star, 1-8-1878)

 

January 12, 1878
The steam tugboat ROYAL ARCH, formerly employed in towing flats to and from the government works (Rocks), started for Baltimore, but in attempting to go out through New Inlet, which had been partially closed, she grounded on the Rocks, or “apron” comprising a part of the dam, and she remained there for about 9 hours until the flood tide came in and she floated off. The accident resulted in damage to her propeller and some other slight damage, and she was put on the marine railway for repairs. (Star, 1-16-1878)

 

February, 1878
It was reported that from October 20, 1877, 11,129 cubic yards of stone had been placed in position at New Inlet by the contractors, Bangs & Dolby. The stone was purchased at Rocky Point, N.E. Cape Fear River. VOL.I.

 

April, 1878
Col. Craighill suspended work on the closing of New Inlet due to the need of funds from Washington, D.C. VOL.I

 

June, 1878
An appropriation of $160,000 was made by Congress for the government work at New Inlet.

 

August, 1878
Three hundred men were wanted for work at the Excelsior Quarries near Rocky Point to work quarrying stone for the New Inlet work. Steady work for a year was promised. VOL.I

 

November, 1878
The New Inlet work continued. The old breakwater of 1873 was repaired. A. Mr. Cunningham, resident superintendent of the works for the past 8 years, was transferred to Charleston harbor. VOL.I

 

December, 1878
A storm carried away about 50 feet of the breakwater at New Inlet on the Zeke‘s Island side. VOL.I.

 

August 5, 1878
Messrs. French & Dolby of Wilmington were awarded the contract for supplying about 50,000 cubic yards of stone for continuing the work for the closure of the New Inlet, on the eastern side of the river below Wilmington. Their bid was $1.75 per cubic yard. (Star, 8-8-1878; 8-13-1878)

 

August 11, 1878
(advertisement) – 300 Men Wanted at Excelsior Quarries at Rocky Point to work quarrying stone for the U.S. Government Works (New Inlet). Steady work for a year. Thomas Williams was the superintendent. (Star, 8-11-1878)

 

September 10, l878
A large number of blacks left New Bern, N.C. for Rocky Point, N.C. where they were to be employed by the U.S. government in getting out stone from the quarries to be put in New Inlet. John C. Thomas of Wilmington was to be one of the overseers. (Star, 9-10-1878)

 

September 10, 1878
A group of 24 men from Beaufort, N.C. under a Capt. Hamilton, with a small vessel and a fine, large seine, had established a mullet fishery on the beach near the Federal Point Lighthouse, where they expected to remain during the fall months. A couple of days ago that caught 300 barrels of mullets in two hauls, 100 by the first and 200 by the second. Owing to the hot weather, they only succeeded in saving one-half of them. (Star, 9-10-1878)

 

November 1, 1878
A grand Democratic rally was held at Biddle‘s Store in Federal Point Township. Messrs. B.R Moore, J.D. Bellamy, Jr., F.H. Danby and J.I. Macks were expected to address the people on the occasion. (Star, 10-30-1878)

 

December 11, 1878
The recent storm carried away about 50 feet of the breakwater at New Inlet on the Zeke‘s Island side. (Star, 12-11-1878)
Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

News Articles – 1879

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch, Wilmington Messenger

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

March 21, 1879
Mr. Thomas Williams of Pender County was the sub-contractor for supplying the stone for the use of the government in filling up New Inlet. The rock was shipped from Rocky Point quarry, where 400 men were employed removing the rocks. (Star, 3-21-1879)

 

June 14, 1879
Mr. Henry Nutt, chairman of the Committee on River and Bar Improvement, informed the Wilmington Newspaper, THE MORNING STAR, that New Inlet was closed. It was his honor to be the first to walk across this day, at 12 noon, dry-footed, from Federal Point to Zeke‘s Island, a distance of nearly a mile, in the company of his grandson, Wm., M. Parsley. When he was about half way across, he was saluted with three cheers from about 60 laborers engaged in throwing in stone. (Star 6-20-1879)

 

June 26, 1879
Notice was given to all mariners that the gap in the dam at New Inlet, mouth of Cape Fear River, North Carolina, had been filled, thus closing the whole distance between Zeke‘s Island and Federal Point. The buoys marking the channel of New Inlet were to be removed. (Star, 7-11-1879)

 

June 26, 1879
The Office of the Lighthouse Board, Washington, D.C., announced that the buoys marking the channel of New Inlet would be removed, now that the gap in the dam at New Inlet had been filled, this closing the whole distance from Zeke‘s Island and Federal Point. (Star, 7-11-1879)

 

September, 1879
A shark was caught off Federal Point a few weeks ago that measured about 14 feet in length. In the contents of his large stomach was a tin bucket, a glass bottle and a number of other articles of a totally indigestible nature. At the same time that he was captured, the fins of a large number of others could be seen in the vicinity. The bait used for catching the shark was a chunk taken from a large sturgeon that had drifted ashore in a rotting condition. (Star, 9-26-1879)

 

September 6, 1979 …. Federal Point
Proposals for continuing operations on the work for closure of New Inlet were received and opened by Col. Craighill, Engineer, U.S. Army, Baltimore, MD. The contract was awarded to Messrs. Ross & Pennypacker, of Wilmington, at $2.24 per ton.

In order to finish the dam at New Inlet to high water mark and protect it against the force of the waves, it was proposed to cover the top and the sea slope to low water mark with heavy flat stones, so as to make the top surface and slopes smooth and even. The covering needed will be about 3,500 feet in length, and the average thickness of the stone will be about 18 inches. It is estimated that about 10,000 tons of granite will be required. (Star, 9-19-1879)

 

September 15, 1879
The Light House Board gave notice that in consequence of the closing of the New Inlet, at the mouth of the Cape Fear River, North Carolina, the light on Federal Point would be discontinued on and after January 1st, 1880. (Star, 9-23-1879)

 

October 11, 1879
J.L. Winner opened a jewelry store at No 8 South Front Street, where he offered to repair watches, clocks and chronometers. He had been in the business for 20 years. (Star, 10-11-1879)

 

November 11, 1879
George Z. French, Esq., completed his contract with the U.S. Engineer Department in furnishing stone for the closing of New Inlet. He furnished 20,000 tons in three months. (Star, 11-11-1879)

 

November 24, 1879
The first loads of heavy granite rock for the sea-face and capping of the dam (Rocks) at New Inlet reached Wilmington on the Wilmington, Columbia and Augusta Railroad. A derrick-scow is being repaired for the placing of the granite in position.

The granite was from the old Granby quarries, in the vicinity of Columbia, S.C. (Star, 11-28-1879, 10-3-1879)

 

November 27, 1879
Mr. Henry Bacon, Assistant Engineer in charge, reported that the dam at New Inlet was in good condition. The base was everywhere wide, and at low water mark it was generally more than 30 feet in width,, with very wide slopes, especially on the sea side. (Star, 11-26-1879)

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

News Articles – 1880 – 1882

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch, Wilmington Messenger

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

January 1880
The tax books of 1879 showed that 28 colored people owned 4,338 acres of land valued at $6,125. in Federal Point Township. (Star, 1-25-1880)

 

January 5, 1880
Sundry citizens of Federal Point Township sent a petition to the Board of County Commissioners asking for a discontinuance of Section No.1 of a public road, extending from the 15 mile post on the Federal Point Road to the Poor House. The petition was granted and the road was discontinued. (Star, 1-8-1880)

 

April, 1880
The pilot Boat ROSA SCARBOROUGH, belonging to the Messre. Craig, of Federal Point, when off Little Island in the Cape Fear River, about 10 miles below Wilmington, was struck by a hurricane and capsized and sunk in about 10 or 11 feet of water. The men were saved by taking to a boat which happened to be in tow at the stern. (Star, 4-16-1880)

 

1880
The Bald Head Lighthouse was re-lighted, because the New Inlet was now closed. The Federal Point Lighthouse was found to be useless. VOL.I

 

August, 1880
Capt. John W. Harper, master of the river steamer PASSPORT was the first to refer to the New Inlet Dam as the “Rocks.” He was also the first to take excursion passengers to the point of interest.

 

July 1, 1880
A large water spout was witnessed between Fort Fisher and Sow‘s Marsh, near the mouth of the river. The wind at the time was blowing nearly a hurricane. The water spout covered a space of about 50 yards in circumference, and moved a distance of about 1 1/4 miles. The water from the spout ascended to an altitude of about 100 to 150 feet, and looked like a white funnel-shaped cloud. The phenomenon was witnessed by about 75 persons, including the employees at the government works and a large number of fishermen. (Star, 7-4-1880)

 

August 17, 1880
The steamer PASSPORT was to make her last trip of the season to the “Rocks” at New Inlet. Capt. John W. Harper, master of the steamer, stated that “the tide will exactly suit for a good day‘s fishing at this point, being low water about 12 noon”. (Star, 8-13-1880)

 

September 28, 1880
W.E. Davis, of Wilmington, who had a fishery at Federal Point, caught at one haul, about 16,000 mullets, which, when salted down, would make about 80 barrels. His seine was so loaded down with the mullets that it burst, and he lost many of them. He utilized every barrel that could be found in which to salt his fish down, then filled a good-sized skiff with them, and finally had to bury some for the lack of containers in which to corn them properly to keep them from spoiling. (Star, 9-30-1880)

 

January 18, 1882 …. Federal Point
The headquarters of Mr. Henry Bacon, Assistant Engineer in charge of the government works, was changed from Smithville to Wilmington. (Star, 1-18-1882)

 

May 18, 1882 …. Federal Point
(advertisement) – TO EXCHANGE FOR CITY PROPERTY, or will sell on desirable terms. A Farm on the eastern bank of Cape Fear River, 30 miles from Wilmington; 365 acres; 160 under cultivation, balance good pasture, well timbered. Suitable for truck farming and stock raising. A two-story dwelling house, kitchen, barns, and all necessary outhouses. Address inquiries to A.C. care of  Star Newspaper. (Star, 5-18-1882)

 

August 29, 1882
The Federal Point Fishing Club was organized recently and a piece of property picked out for their club building. They enjoyed fish and soft crab suppers and enjoyed the delightful breezes and had a splendid time. The site was wonderful reaching from the river to the ocean.

The building for the accommodation of the club was 40 by 15 feet in dimensions and had a double piazza facing on the north and south. The house had been nicely furnished and supplied with crockery, Mr. Henry Bishop having charge of the culinary department. (Star, 8-29-1882)
Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

News Articles – 1883

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch, Wilmington Messenger

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

May 10, 1883
A party of gentlemen visited the large fishery of Messrs. W.E. Davis and Sons, on Zeke‘s Island. There were four or five families residing on the island, and there were six houses.

A pen was visited in which 600 terrapins of all sorts and sizes were confined. There was also a fine stock of poultry, including some 150 chickens, to say nothing of ducks, geese, etc. The fish traps were visited, and the Messrs. Davis explained their workings. They were fished at 5 a.m. and again at 5 p.m. Next the fertilizer establishment was inspected. Here all the refuse fish, such as cannot be sold, are cut up into fragments, put in a sort of press constructed for the purpose and all the oil extracted , after which the fragments were gathered up, spread out on a large platform to dry and are then bagged and sold for fertilizing purposes.

A railroad had been constructed from the ocean on one side of the island to the river on the other, and on and on his fish, after being taken from the traps, are hoisted from the sharpies by a derrick and placed in a car, are transported to the other side of the island and dumped into boats in the river. (Star, 5-12-1883)

 

May 13, 1883
The steamboat MINEHAHA was to make a trip to Federal Point on Sunday morning and would leave the Wilmington Wharf at 9 a.m. sharp The master of the vessel was Joseph Bisbee. (Star, 5-12-1883)

 

August 15, 1883
The steamer MINNEHAHA offered a moonlight excursion to Federal Point on Wednesday night, August 15th. There was to be a sheepshead supper at Mayo‘s Place, also music and dancing. The round trip fare was 50 cents. She would leave the Wilmington wharf at the 8 o‘clock sharp. (Star, 8-14-1883)

 

May 17, 1883
Two members of the Federal Point Fishing Club, organized last season, went down the “The Rocks” at New Inlet and succeeded in landing 84 sheepshead. This was considered a fine day‘s sport. (Star, 5-19-1883)

 

July 21, 1883
The storehouse of Messrs. W.E. Davis & Son, who had extensive fisheries in the vicinity, was burned to the ground. The fire destroyed all their nets, seines and other material. The building adjoining the storehouse was pulled down to save it. The fire created a big excitement among the fishermen and others on the Point, who with a whole ocean of water before them, could not stop the devouring element in its course. (Star, 7-24-1883)

 

July 21, 1883
The storehouse of Messrs. W.E. David & Son was destroyed by fire at Federal Point. The Davis Company owned large fisheries in the vicinity. Destroyed in the fire were all their nets, seines and other materials, which was to prove detrimental during the upcoming fish season. The fire could be seen from Smithville across the river. Another building adjacent to the storehouse had to be pulled down. An employee, Mr. Williamson, asleep in a room, escaped unhurt. The fire created a big excitement among the local fishermen and others on the Point. The Davis family estimated their losses at about $4,500 with about half covered by insurance. (Star, 7-27-1883)

 

August 9. 1883
The contracts for furnishing the necessary material on the improvements to the Cape Fear River were opened. The following were the lowest bidders: for rattling and spun yarn, John C. Springer and N. Jacobi; for brush and cane, Ross & Lara; for stone, G.Z. French; for the building of five scows, Geo. R. Sumerell. (Star, 8-10-1883)

 

August, 1883
Proposals for furnishing the necessary material for carrying on the improvements to the Cape Fear River, especially New Inlet Dam, were opened at the office of Major Henry Bacon, engineer in charge. The lowers bidders were: for brush and cane and stone – Messrs. Ross & Lara; for the building of five scows, George R. Sumerell. VOL.I.

 

August 14, 1883
A moonlight excursion was offered on the steamboat PASSPORT to Federal Point. Music and dancing, Sheepshead Supper at Mayo‘s Place. Fare for round trip 50 cents. One hour at Federal Point. John W. Harper and George N. Harriss, Managers. (Star, 8-14-1883)

 

September, 1883
A terrible hurricane struck the lower Cape Fear area. The destruction of Messrs. W.E. Davis & Sons fishery on Zeke‘s Island was fearful. Their loss was heavy, among which were 2200 terrapins waiting for shipment to the North, 13 gillnets, 3 fish sheds, 25 barrels of salt mullets, 30 sacks of salt, one new boat, a lot of fish stands. etc. VOL.I.

 

September 21, 1883
Chesley A, Craig, aged 25 years and 10 months, died on Federal Point. Funeral held from the residence of his father. (Star, 9-22-1883)

 

September 27, 1883
Messrs. W.E. Davis & Son, at their Federal Point fishery, caught over 400 large drum at one haul, averaging 40 pounds each; being pronounced the largest haul of drum on record. (Star, 9-28-1883)

 

October 4, 1883
Messrs. Ross & Lara, to whom the contract was awarded for supplying stone, brush and other necessary material for filling up or closing what is known as “Corncake Inlet,” near what was formerly New Inlet, were busy making preparation to begin the work.

Their base of operation was at the Keystone Quarry, at Gander Hall, opposite Orton. A short railroad track was under construction from the quarry to the river, about 1 1⁄2 miles long. A steamer named HAROLD was due soon to do the towing of the rock to the work site. Mr. Henry Bacon, Sr., a civilian employee of the U.S. Engineers, was building a large wharf at Gander Hall to facilitate the work. (Star, 10-4-1883)

 

October 15, 1883
The steam tug, HAROLD, Capt. Crawford, from Jacksonville, FL, arrived in the Cape Fear River. She was to be used by Messrs. Ross & Lara, the contactors at work at filling up “Corncake Inlet” with stone and brush. (Star, 10-16-1883)

 

October 21, 1883 …. Federal Point
Messrs. Ross & Lara, contractors, were receiving shipments of lumber at Gander Hall for the erection of “shanties” for the men working in the Keystone quarry at that place. Work on the short line of railroad was also underway. (Star, 10-21-1883; 11-15-1883. 10-9-1882)

The Federal Point Club prospected on Zeke‘s Island, examining the dam, fish weir, etc., and they traveled down as far as Corn-Cake Inlet. (Star, 10-12-1882)
Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

News Articles – 1884

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch, Wilmington Messenger

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

1884 …. Federal Point
(advertisement) 100 Good Quarry Hands for Government Work at Keystone Quarries on Cape Fear River, 14 miles below Wilmington. Ross & Lara, Contractors (Star, 2-3-1884)

 

May 14, 1884  
(advertisement) – FOR RENT – Until November 1, 1884, or longer, two very nice Cottages, at the Rocks, (Federal Point), Kitchen, Water, etc. to each. All in No. 1 order and ready for immediate use. (Star, 5-14-1884)

 

May 28, 1884 …. Federal Point
Mr. A.S. Lara, of the firm of Ross & Lara, contractors for the work of closing Corncake Inlet, at the mouth of the river, who had been visiting at his home in Stuanton, VA.for about two months had returned. (Star, 5-30-1884)

 

June 21, 1884
The locomotive used by Messrs. Ross & Lara on their railroad from the rock quarry to the river, in supplying rock to close up Corncake Inlet, was returned to the quarry after it was enlarged to suit the work by Messrs. Hart, Bailey & Co.’s foundry in Wilmington. (Star, 6-24-1884)

 

July 27, 1884
The “Rocks,” at what was formerly known as New Inlet, was now a favorite resort for fishermen. (Star, 7-27-1884)

 

July, 1884
It was reported that the “rocks” was a favorite resort for fishermen. VOL. I

 

August, 1884
A little girl from Wilmington was hurt at the “Rocks” when she jumped into some broken glass with her bare feet. She was given first aid by some nearby fishermen and then carried to the Mayo House, a resort hotel operated at the “Rocks.” During the same month two young ladies from Wilmington were rescued from drowning while swimming at the “Rocks.”  VOL. I

 

August, 1884
During a severe storm at the “Rocks,” lightning struck the flag pole at the government wharf at Corncake Inlet. A fisherman nearby was severely shocked and one of his hands badly bruised when he fell down. He was holding a metal-ribbed umbrella at the time which acted as a conductor.  VOL. I

 

July 11, 1884
R.G. Ross, contractor, killed a rattlesnake at the rock quarry near Gander Hall, below Wilmington, which is said to have had 16 rattles. It is described as being as large as a large man‘s leg. (Star, 7-11-1884)

September, 1884
Two new contracts were awarded for supplying stone for the further closing of what was known as Corncake Inlet. A total of 30,000 tons of stone was still required. VOL. I

 

October, 1884
A correspondent in Washington, D.C. wrote: “The new work is progressing rapidly. The dam is two miles long, reaching from Zeke‘s Island to the Big Marsh, 25,000 tons of stone had already been used, and the dam, on the average, is about one foot above low water. The appropriations made by the last Congress will not quite complete the work.” VOL. I

 

September 26, 1884
The new work at Federal Point was progressing rapidly. The dam was now two miles long, reaching from Zeke‘s Island to the Big Marsh, 25,000 tons of stone had already been used, and the dam, on an average, was about one foot above low water. The appropriation made by the last Congress would not quite complete the work. Mr. Henry Bacon believed that when the present dam was completed, a sandbar would form between it and the ocean, the same as at New Inlet, and the result would be the washing out of the bar at the mouth of the river to 18 or 10 feet. (Star, 10-14-1884)

 

October 15, 1884
The New Inlet Dam was in perfect condition. The sand beach which since the completion of the dam had been extending on the site of Carolina Shoals from near Fort Fisher towards the head of Smith‘s Island had widened and it extended nearly to the island, a distance of nearly two miles, leaving a gap of less than half a mile over shoal water between the new bank and Smith‘s Island. (Star, 10-17-1884)
Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

News Articles – 1885 – 1886

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch, Wilmington Messenger

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

January 19, 1885
The steamer WOODBURY, belonging to the government works, which went ashore at Federal Point during the late gale got off on the next high tide and went up to Wilmington. (Star, 1-20-1885)

 

May 18, 1886
(advertisement) “THE ROCKS,” FORT FISHER. This delightful 1 family resort, unsurpassed on the entire Atlantic Coast for River, Bay, Sound and Ocean Sailing. Fishing and Boating, is now open for the accommodation of boarders by the day, week or month. Steamers PASSPORT and LOUISE ply daily between Wilmington and “The Rocks.” Address all communications, N.F.Parker, “The Rocks,” Care of Capt. John W. Harper, Wilmington, N.C. (Star, 5-18-1886)

 

July 7, 1886
A license was issued to N.F. Parker to retail spirituous liquors at “The Rocks.” (Star, 7-7-1886)

 

August 31, 1886
The Charleston, S.C. earthquake was felt all over southeastern North Carolina. Buildings were shaken, cracking walls and chimneys, crockery fell from shelves, and pictures fell from the walls. Reports came in from as far away as Sampson and Onslow Counties. Aftershocks were reported on September 2, 1886 and November 11, 1886.
Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

News Articles – 1887

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch, Wilmington Messenger

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

January 14, 1887
The Carolina Beach Company, recently formed, had begun work on a railroad which was to run from near Sugar Loaf, about 13 miles below Wilmington on the Cape Fear River, across the peninsula to the Atlantic coast, near the head of Myrtle Grove Sound, and just below old Camp Wyatt. The iron rails have already been purchased and the rolling stock provided. The railroad work was to be completed in about two months, and the line was not to be more than two miles in length. At the terminus of the railroad on the ocean side will be put in perfect order and a “playground” will be furnished for the excursionists where they can go and enjoy themselves. (Star 1-14-1887)

 

May 1, 1887 …. Carolina Beach
Capt. Beach was to have charge of the hotel which was to be erected at the new summer resort being developed south of Wilmington. The building was to be put up as soon as the railroad from the river to the beach was completed and made available for the transportation of building materials received from Wilmington. (Star, 5-1-1887)

 

May 4, 1887 …. Carolina Beach
A locomotive for the railroad extending from the Cape Fear River to old Camp Wyatt and then to the ocean beach was sent down from Wilmington. (Star, 5-5-l887)

 

May 5, 1887
Three railroad cars, intended for use on the railway from the river to the beach at Carolina Beach, were taken from the shops of the builders, Messrs. Burr & Bailey, to the wharf at the foot of Dock Street, for shipment. (Star, 5-6-1887)

 

May 20, 1887
Capt. John Harper “slaughtered” a glass snake at Carolina Beach. (Star, 5-21-1887)

 

June 4, 1887
Moonlight excursions to Carolina Beach bid fair to be “immensely popular.” The trip up and down the river is delightful, and a large pavilion at the beach is a splendid place for dancing. The steamer PASSPORT carried down another large party last night. The day excursions are a source of great enjoyment to very many persons. The ride on the river and across to the beach by rail, with a stroll on the beach, a fish and oyster feast, and a cup of excellent coffee at Capt. Bache‘s restaurant fills the day with enjoyment for most of the visitors.

The fresh water lake is a pretty sheet of water and decidedly a novel feature for the seaside. It is about one mile wide, three or four miles long. It abounds in fish, and alligators are by no means scarce. Recently an alligator about 4 feet long was caught there.

A few years ago, the coast from this point to Fort Fisher, two miles below, was lined with wrecks of blockade runners that had been beached to escape the Federal cruisers. All but one of these have disappeared, and this lies close to shore and affords good fishing ground for sheepshead. Farther out are famous banks, easily reached by boat, where pig-fish are caught in abundance. (Star, 6-4-1887)

 

June 7, 1887
A nine-foot alligator was caught in the lake at Carolina Beach. (Star, 6-8-1887)

 

June 5, 1887
Fifteen miles from Wilmington on the banks of the ocean is situated Carolina Beach which is daily, rapidly, and deservedly growing in popular favor. . .How is it reached?. . . One hour is hardly spent on the steamer PASSPORT when the boat moves slowly to Harper‘s Pier, where the pleasure seekers disembark to find in readiness a train of cars awaiting to carry them to their destination. These cars are made after the manner of cars used at Coney Island and are convenient and commodious. A ride of five or six minutes through a level and interesting country, filled with flowers and green shrubbery, brings you in full view of the ocean.

Out of the sand many houses have arisen, and a spacious pavilion, with smooth floors which invite the dancer, stands ready for the reception of guests. Bathing houses, conveniently situated, are erected.

The shore is hard and as level as a ballroom floor, and so gentle and sloping is the incline that the swimmer can easily and without danger penetrate beyond the breakers. . .

Opposite the beach are wrecks of blockaders, and he who is fortunate enough to find a day so calm as to allow him to reach them, will find the merriest sport with hook and line and sheepshead that the Atlantic coast produce; and just beyond the wrecks are the far famed blackfish grounds, whose reputation for numberless fish has enticed many landsmen to visit them.

About a quarter of a mile from the pavilion, within 100 yards of the ocean, nestles a quiet little lake, asleep in tender and surrounding arms of budding tree and bush. It is a lovely place. Quiet and peace are its companions. It lives there by its little self. This lake abounds in fish, and the lazy alligator suns himself on its banks. Boats have been placed on it and a sail on an inland sea can be had at will. Carolina Beach is a coming place, and we say. “Let her boom.” (Star, 6-5-1887)

 

June 24, 1887
The Wilmington Light Infantry held a shooting contest at Carolina Beach within sight of Camp Wyatt, the rendezvous of the company in the days of 1861. The first prize, a very handsome silver pitcher, was awarded to Mr. J.S. Hooper; the second prize to Mr. E.W. Moore, being a silver goblet of an unique pattern and very chaste workmanship. (Messenger, 7-12-1887)

 

June 29, 1887
Work was progressing on the Club House at Carolina Beach. Several other structures were in the planning stage. “A building boom at this popular resort is not at all unlikely.” (Star, 6-29-1887)

 

June 29, 1887
A strip of land like the Carolina Beach is in the position of a millionaire who locks up depreciated securities in a box. The bonds probably were bought for a nominal price out of sympathy of capital and have been valued at little. Suddenly the securities begin to be quoted again in the money market. The owner of this almost forgotten possession recollects his possession. They are drawn forth from the darkness and all seem to be worth sterling gold. . . . At any rate, the time of Carolina Beach has come for notice and material development. . . . Already there is a boom. The eyes of the people are opened and lost time is now being made up . . . . .

Visitors must not expect to find Carolina Beach strewn with mammoth hotels, costly cottages and the style of many summer resorts. For the most part it is only in the germ, yet, with all this, it would be hard to find a place so full of charms. The universal pleasure which seems to diffuse itself over the minds of all at the sight of the mighty ocean can be fully indulged. We could rhapsodize upon its fathomless depths and shore less expanse; we could talk of its coral reefs and pearly beds which we cannot see; we could discount upon the rising sun ascending from the great waters like a globe of fire, or the far off sundown splendor dispensing glory to the meadows of the sea; upon the phosphorescent glow of the evening ripple, and of the white crest of heaving billows. We might speak of this all, if it had not been worked up into poetry and prose a thousand times. . . .

We cannot look upon these waters without enthusiasm, and as the waves break at our feet we fancy they may be the same billows that laved the side of the ship that, in 1665, landed the explorers in this region of North Carolina. . .. In this locality are to be seen tracts of the ‘days which tried men‘s souls,’ Fort Fisher and Camp Wyatt, are both within sight. Now crops are shooting from the ground which were the whilom scenes of strife. Thus death supports life; the fields enriched with human gore teems with nourishment for the living race.

The distance of Fort Fisher, southwest, is five miles. The width of the beach is from 600 to 1,000 feet, affording one of the finest drives in the country, while to Masonboro, northeast, it is twelve miles thus affording an uninterrupted beach, as hard and smooth as a floor, of seventeen miles.

The location of the beach is most desirable, conveniently near to the City of Wilmington, thus enabling every one to enjoy the bathing. The improvements have been phenomenal, and the work goes finely forward. At an early date, Bryans Oceanic Hotel will be erected which will be constructed with the view to comfort and elegance.

The pavilion which occupies the central part of the building will be 16 feet wide and 166 feet long. The restaurant and billiard rooms will meet the wants of the most fastidious, while the hotel proper, with its reception rooms, bathrooms, etc. will be admirably arranged for the comfort of its guests. The hotel will be run in connection with, and by the proprietors of the Orton House in Wilmington which is a guarantee that it will be first class in every particular. (Messenger, 6-29-1887)

 

July 1, 1887
A license to retail spirituous liquors at Carolina Beach was granted to G.W. Linder. (Messenger, 7-6-1887)

 

July 1, 1887
The hotel and cottages at Carolina Beach are nearing completion. The beach is gaining popularity daily. (Messenger, 7-1-l997)

 

July 1, 1887
The fame of ‘The Rocks’ as a fishing ground goes undisputed, and it is more popular this season than for many previous years. (Messenger, 7-1-1887)

Mr. Bryan, of the Orton Hotel, announces that peculiar circumstances prevent his hotel at the Beach from being opened as was contemplated, but the delay will not be long. He will, however, undoubtedly have the café in fair condition by the 4th. (Messenger, 7-2-1887)

 

July 3, 1887
(advertisement) SURF BATHING ON THE FOURTH OF JULY AT CAROLINA BEACH.
The steamer PASSPORT will run on the following schedule:

  • Leave Wilmington 8:00 a.m.; 11:00 a.m.; 3:00 p.m; 6:00 p.m.
  • Train leaves the Beach 1:00 p.m.; 7:00 p.m.; 10:00 p.m.

FOURTH JULY. Steamer LOUISE will leave her wharf at foot of Market Street, July 4th, at 8:00 a.m. for Rocks, Smithville and the Forts. W.A. Snell, Master

 

July 6, 1887
J. H. Haven, of Federal Point, was serving as a member of the New Hanover County Board of Equalization. J.L. Winner, of Federal Point, had his property value increased from $1,800 to $2,500.

The property of the North Carolina Phosphate Co., of Federal Point, was increased form $10,000 to $15,000. (Messenger, 7-13-1887)

 

July 4, 1887
Owing to the inclement weather on the 4th of July, there was not so large a crowd at the Beach as was expected, but those who went down had a good time. The Oceanic Hotel ‘open house’ and every excursionist paid the generous proprietor a visit. Mr. Bryan will be ready to receive guests in a few days.

The Carolina Beach Club are progressing with their spacious building and are already doing a fair business. We will give a full report of this enterprise in a few days.

John Harr is doing well at the pavilion refreshment counters, and Jim Dray is serving soda water to his visitors over at the sound. Capt. Bache keeps up his earned reputation at the St. Joseph, and everybody is satisfied with the accommodations and the improvements at this favorite resort. (Messenger 7-6-1887

 

July 7, 1887
(advertisement)

  • CAROLINA BEACH THE ATLANTIC CITY OF THE SOUTH – One hour‘s ride from Wilmington, by steamer and rail, brings you directly to the Beach. Excellent Fishing, Boating and Surf Bathing.
  • BRYAN‘S OCEANIC HOTEL – Will be open July 14th, with ample accommodation for all visitors. CAFÉ, RESTAURANT, BILLIARD HALL, Connected with the Hotel

–W.A. BRYAN, Proprietor

 

 

July 7, 1887
With the thermometer at 98 degrees in the Pavilion, a sentimental maiden, inebriated with the exuberance of her imagination and listening with credulity to the whispers of fancy, wrote from Carolina Beach to her ‘appreciator’, not a hundred miles from Clinton, N. C., words to this effect: “The dark Blue ocean, spread out before me, is just as blue and just as ever it was. Since time was young, these waves have rolled to the short—winter and summer, rain or shine, all the same, free as the winds that kiss their liquid lips.”

Here you can sell all styles of dress and fashions – quite different from such secluded spots as the Warm Springs and Kittrells, and -, where people strive to dispense with dress, where gloves are never stained, because they are never worn, and where the chief aim seems to be wear old clothes. Here is not only “stuck- up” Raleigh and meek and lowly Goldsboro, but effete Newbern and sober and dignified Wilmington; not only the bangs and flouncing of the cities, but the combined comeliness of dress and form of the country lassie. Last night was quite cool, and I declare it felt real nice to pull two wraps over the beautiful form of yours truly.” (Messenger, 7-7-1887)

 

July 9, 1887 …. Federal Point
Capt. K.J. Braddy, of Bladen County, was in Wilmington. During the Civil War he bought 300 acres of land adjoining the present Carolina Beach property. At the time he failed to have the deed recorded and it was later stolen by some of Sherman‘s bummers. He was now making arrangements to perfect his title. (Star, 7-9-1887)

 

July 25, 1887
To accommodate the increasing travel to Carolina Beach, a handsome barge was built to seat 150 persons, at Capt. Skinner‘s shipyard at Wilmington. It was named the CAROLINA and was used for the first time today. (Star, 7-22-1887)

The steamer PASSPORT brought up a large load of passengers to Wilmington from Carolina Beach. She did not tow down her barge CAROLINA in the afternoon, there being ample room for all of the steamer. (Messenger, 7-25-1887)

 

July 29, 1887
Sixty-five guests were fed and roomed at the Oceanic Hotel, although not quite completed yet.(Messenger, 7-31-1887)

 

July 29, 1887
Mr. Sidney L. Alderman, a former Wilmington photographer, but now of Greensboro, photographed Carolina Beach. The picture was pronounced very artistic. (Messenger, 7-31-1887)

 

July 29, 1887
So vast was the crowd disporting themselves at Carolina Beach that the steamer PASSPORT was compelled to make two trips to return them to the city. The first load contained 350 passengers, a large number being women and children. Nights are delightful at the beach – blankets being required to cover with.

The moonlight excursions to Carolina Beach were pronounced very enjoyable affairs. The Italian Harpers were in attendance and rendered good music, which gave the young folks an opportunity to indulge in tripping the light fantastic to their heart‘s content. These excursions are well patronized. (Messenger, 7-30-1887)

 

July 30, 1887
(advertisement) R.R. STATION RESTAURANT Carolina Beach Capt. C. Cache, Proprietor
Meals served in the very best style. The best accommodations for excursionists. No disappointment. Always a supply of Pigfish, Oysters, soft-shell crabs, clams, etc. Bathing suits – best quality. (Messenger, 7-30-1887)

 

July 30, 1887
The new Bryan Oceanic House at Carolina Beach was “booming.” It supplied a long-felt want. (Messenger, 7-30-1887)

 

July 31, 1887
Mr. W.W. Harriss, Jr., of Wilmington, was in charge of the office at the Oceanic Hotel. The guests were profuse in their compliments as to his polite attention and good nature. (Messenger, 7-31-1887)

 

July 31, 1887
The cottages being erected at Carolina Beach were nearing completion. They were of a pretty design and very comfortable. (Messenger, 7-31-1887)

 

July 31, 1887
Quite a crowd took dinner at the Railroad Station Restaurant at Carolina Beach last Sunday and everybody was pleased with the manner in which Mrs. Bache served the guests. (Messenger, 8-2-1887)

 

August 1, 1887
Paths of pleasure are not always paths of peace. After a festive party of black excursionists reached Carolina Beach and the “terpsichorean carnival was at its zenith” two of the male excursionists were implicated in a cutting affair. One man was so severely cut in his neck and wounded in his side that he was not able to return to the city.

Affairs of this sort were not permitted to make sad the soul of the average excursionist, and the way back to Wilmington was regaled with music and song that pleasantly floated over the river and was sent back from the river banks. They arrived at the city wharf at 12:20 in the morning. (Messenger, 8-3-1887;  8-7-1887)

 

August 1, 1887
The black excursionists to Carolina Beach filled the steamer PASSPORT and a barge and left a Wilmington dock full for want of room. (Messenger, 8-2-1887)

 

August 6, 1887
A party of six fishermen from Wilmington caught at the Rocks in an hour and a half thirty-eight drum that aggregated 190 pounds – an average of over five pounds each. The Rocks is a paradise for disciples of Sir Isaac Wilton. (Messenger, 8-8-1887)

 

August 7, 1887
Messrs. F.A. Newberry and W.W. Shaw have fitted up comfortable summer homes at Carolina Beach. Mr. J.L. Winner has greatly improved his place. (Messenger, 8-7-1887)

 

August 7, 1887
Chief Justice‖ Freeman opened a law dispensary at Carolina Beach, and he was prepared to issue “writs at living prices. Special attention given to mandamuses, quo warrants, scieri facieses, capiases and respondum, etc. The blind goddess always on hand with scales in good condition.” (Star, 8-7-1887)

 

August 30, 1887
Through the benevolence of Mr. James Sprunt, the inmates of the City Hospital in Wilmington were given a sail down the river to Carolina Beach on the steamer PASSPORT. After they arrived and enjoyed the surf and breezes, a sumptuous banquet was given them by the same kind-hearted gentlemen. Who will follow this worthy example? (Messenger, 8-11-1887)

 

August 16, 1887
Mr. Albert Gause was hired at the Olympic Hotel at Carolina Beach. (Messenger, 8-16-1887)

August 17, 1887
The wind blew a perfect gale at Carolina Beach, and at Zeke‘s Island, it was reported the houses were in danger of blowing over. (Messenger, 8-20-1887)

 

August 21, 1887
A fleet of yachts visited Carolina Beach. The yachts IDLER, Capt. Pembroke Jones of Wrightsville; BONNIE LASSIE, Capt. Joe Price of Summer Rest; MADGE, Capt. W.L. Smith; and MARK LILLINGTON, Capt. T.B. Harriss of Masonboro, formed the fleet. The whole distance was sailed in two hours and twenty minutes. The jolly and clever passengers took dinner at the Oceanic Hotel and returning left the beach at 1:30 p.m.. The party spent a delightful day. (Messenger, 8-23-1887)

 

August 23, 1887
The first of a series of pleasant excursions to Carolina Beach was afforded to the poor and needy of Wilmington. Tickets had been issued to 100 adults and some children. The steamer PASSPORT left Wilmington at 9 a.m. and returned about 7:30 p.m.

The menu at Bryan‘s Oceanic Hotel offered clam chowder, chow chow, tomatoes, boiled sheepshead with wine sauce, shrimp, fried pig fish, clam fritters, crabs, potatoes, onions, white bread, corn bread, muffins, watermelon, tea and coffee.
Dinner was served at 2 p.m. and sandwiches were also furnished at 12 noon. There was also ice water provided and there was fresh milk furnished for the more feeble. A committee of Wilmington ladies accompanied the party to see that their comforts were attended to. The Rev. F. W.E. Peschau was to ask the blessing at dinner time. (Messenger, 8-23-1887)

 

August 24, 1887
In contemplation, or in case of heavy storms which are liable to visit the coast during the fall, the proprietors of the Oceanic Hotel at Carolina Beach were tying down the roof with tarred rope, making it secure to the main building – a very good idea and commendable for thought. (Messenger, 8-24-1887)

 

August 30, 1887
Those who wish to visit Carolina Beach and behold the grandeur and beauties of old ocean should not fail to await themselves of the opportunity afforded tonight. Probably this will be the last moonlight excursion for the season. (Messenger, 8-30-1887)

 

September 7, 1887
The Wilmington Baseball Association gave an excursion to Carolina Beach on the steamer PASSPORT for their own benefit. There was a fine band of music along and it was a day replete with enjoyment for all who attended. (Messenger, 9-11-1887)

 

September 11, 1887
(advertisement) ROASTED OYSTERS AT CAROLINA BEACH! The finest of Myrtle Grove oysters will be served at the Oceanic Hotel today. — W. A. Bryan (Messenger, 9-11-1887)

 

September 12, 1887
The dredge boat engaged in twisting obstructions from the river nearly opposite Carolina Beach drew up a large anchor and chain. How it had come there could not be determined. (Messenger, 9-13-1887)

 

September 20, 1887
An excursion to Carolina Beach was given to the old black citizens of Wilmington by Capt. Harper of the steamer PASSPORT and his associates. (Messenger, 9-21-1887)

 

September 29, 1887
The steamer PASSPORT ran her last trip to Carolina Beach. This closed a season of well deserved success at this popular resort. Between 17,000 and 18,000 visitors were at the beach during the summer, of whom 5,000 were surf bathers. No accidents of any kind marred the pleasure of the trips due to the care and vigilance of Captains Harper and Nolan. (Star 9-30-1887)
Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

News Articles – 1888

Federal Point, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher
– from the Wilmington Star, Wilmington News, Wilmington Post, Wilmington Dispatch, Wilmington Messenger

Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994

 

January 12, 1888
Capt. James Wells, who has charge of Messrs. W.F. Davis & Sons fishery on Zeke‘s Island, was seriously wounded while hunting. His gun fell and both barrels were discharged and he was wounded in the left thigh with the flesh torn from the bone. While hunting he was accompanied by Mr. Willie Mayo of the “Rocks”. Capt. Wells was taken to Wilmington on the steamer LOUISE and then taken to his home where he received the necessary surgical attention. (Star 1-13-1888)

 

February 1, 1888
Two cars and a quantity of steel rails were shipped down the river from Wilmington for the Carolina Beach Railway. (Star 2-2-1888)

 

February 2, 1888
Messrs. Burr & Bailey of Wilmington have just completed a new passenger car and also a flat car for freights for the Carolina Beach Railway. (Messenger 2-2-1888)

 

February 3, 1888
In view of the largely increased river travel last season, Capt. Harper and the New Hanover Transit Company was to put another vessel to serve all points on the lower Cape Fear River, in addition to the steamer PASSPORT. Capt. Snell was to take the wheel of the steamer PASSPORT. Capt. John Harper “gives due notice that if any man has red clay on his boots and a blue jeans suit, he will carry him on the steamer for nothing, provided it can be shown clearly after a judicial investigation before ‘Chief Justice’ Freeman that the man has no money and never had any, as the Captain is determined to bring our up-country friends to Wilmington and the nearby beach.” (Star 2-2-1888)

 

April 8, 1888
The Messrs Brown Brothers of the Diamond Saloon in Wilmington rented the Club House at Carolina Beach and will conduct a business there during the coming season. (Messenger 4-8-1888)

 

April 13, 1888
The Charlotte CHRONICLE newspaper in speaking of Carolina Beach said,

“Many of our people will be glad to learn that this season the SYLVAN GROVE, a fine excursion steamer from New York, will ply between Wilmington and Carolina Beach. The SYLVAN GROVE makes 16 miles an hour and was one of the finest boats in New York harbor. She is to be commanded by Capt. J.M. Harper, who was formerly the captain of the steamer PASSPORT. Crowds of Charlotte people will walk the decks of the SYLVAN GROVE this summer.” (Star 4-13-1888)

 

May, 1888
Capt. W.A. Snell, late captain of the MARIE, took charge of the PASSPORT as captain. Tiler Potter was named his mate. Trips from Wilmington to Orton, The Rocks and Southport would continue. VOL.II

 

May, 1888
Capt. John W. Harper purchased the steamer SYLVAN GROVE in New York for the run between Wilmington, Carolina Beach and Southport. She was a double-wheel vessel built in New York in 1858. VOL.II

 

May 5, 1888
Messrs. Burr & Bailey completed a handsome new summer car for the New Hanover Transit Company to be used on the railway from Harper‘s Landing to Carolina Beach. The car was rolled down to the Dock Street wharf where it was loaded on a lighter and shipped to its destination. (Messenger, 5-6-1888; Star, 5-6-1888)

 

May 8, 1888
A license was granted to George H. Brown to sell spirituous liquors at the Club House in Carolina Beach for the season. A license was also granted to A.B. Peterson to retail spirituous liquors in the Mayo House at the ‘Rocks’ for six months. (Messenger, 5-8-1888)

 

May 15, 1888
The Charlotte CHRONICLE newspaper reported, “There is no finer seaside resort along the Atlantic coast than Carolina Beach.” (Star, 5-15-1888)

 

May 17, 1888
A handsome lithograph picture of the popular resort, Carolina Beach, was sent to the Fayetteville JOURNAL. The newspaper commented that “the beach is equal in all respects to the more aristocratic watering places of the North.” (Messenger, 5-18-1888)

 

May 17, 1888
A large party of gentlemen got off the steamer PASSPORT AT “The Rocks” at 6:45 A.M., and they had fine sport catching sheepshead, pig fish and blackfish. Mr. W.E. Mayo had opened the hotel at “The Rocks” and was supplying the guests with all kinds of seafood, soft crabs, fish, clams, etc. “She certainly knows how to make it pleasant for all who pay her a visit.” (Messenger, 5-18-1888)

 

May 21, 1888
The Wilmington Light Infantry held their anniversary celebration at Carolina Beach. (Star, 5-15-1888)

 

June 7, 1888
The hotel at Carolina Beach had been reopened for the season. The building had been repainted and refitted, and it was now under new management. (Star, 6-7-1888)

 

June 7, 1888
C.A. Bache‘s Dining Parlors at Carolina Beach were now furnished with polite and attentive waiters. All patrons would be served promptly and to their satisfaction. The price of meals has been reduced to 35 cents. The price of bathing suits was now 15 cents. “All desiring a nice fish dinner would do well to pay us a visit.” (Messenger, 6-7-1888)

 

June 8, 1888
The Wilmington Light Infantry and the Cornet Band escaped the sweltering weather of the last few days in Wilmington with an excursion to Carolina Beach. The train at the beach had to make two trips to transfer all the passengers on the boat to the ocean. A target match was held and the judges for the match were Col. W.L. DeRosset, Col. W.C. Jones and Mr. L.S. Belden. The scorers were Lieut. George W. Doyle, Sgt. George W. Howey and Mr. Hubbard. There was an exciting contest among Messrs. Walker Taylor, Pen. Boatwright and W. P. Toomer, each one being allowed three shots. Mr. Toomer won a medal for his excellent shooting. Mr. Walker Taylor received a silver pitcher for the second best marksman. The Cornet Concert Band played lively music, and the selections by the Italian Strong Band were both pretty and appropriate. (Star, 6-9-1888)

 

June 21, 1888
A haul of 39 sturgeon was made at the fishery of Mr. W.E. Davis at Zeke‘s Island. This was the largest single catch that had been known for years. (Messenger, 6-22-1888)

 

June 21, 1888
Despite threatening weather, a great many visitors took the pleasant sail down the river and enjoyed the breezes and a refreshing surf bath at the beach. The recently painted hotel looked inviting and cool in its new garb. The celebrated pig-fish was being served at all times, and the charms of music have been added at the hotel. The Italian band plays during the boat trips up and down the river and from the hotel porch during the stay at the beach. (Star, 6-22-1888)

 

June 22, 1888
Two new bathhouses, one for ladies and one for gentlemen, have been built; partitioned off into twenty or more dressing rooms, with bathroom attached to each, so that a visitor after a plunge in the surf may take a fresh water bath in his or her dressing room.

The water for these fresh water baths is conveyed through pipes from reservoirs at the hotel. The supply comes from driven wells sunk on the beach to a depth of 50 feet and furnishing remarkably soft, clear cold water. Bathing suits and an unlimited supply of clean fresh towels, with the services of well-trained attendants, are furnished for a nominal charge at these new baths. The baths are under the control and management of Mr. Robert M. Houston of Wilmington. (Star, 6-22-1888)

 

June 27, 1888
The delegates of the Democratic Convention for the Sixth Congressional District, by invitation of the New Hanover delegates, visited Carolina Beach and were very much pleased with their trip. The SYLVAN GROVE had a large crowd of about 400 passengers on board. (Star, 6-28-1888)

 

June 30, 1888
Another alligator was captured at Carolina Beach. He took refuge in the woods and fought viciously, but after an exciting chase was cornered and had to surrender. Dan Smith, a colored citizen who took a prominent part in the chase, made this philosophical remark: “Talk bout gator can‘t run, Blessed Toney, dey run like a calf.” (Star, 7-1-1888)

 

June 30, 1888
A pair of alligators had been added to the attractions at Carolina Beach. They were about eight feet long and were caught in a net in the fresh water lake close to the beach yesterday morning. Besides these two another was caught but was drowned before the fishermen could extricate it from the net. Captain Harper has had a pen built for the aquatic monsters, and after they are thoroughly tamed will permit visitors to ride them up and down the beach. (Star, 6-30-1888)

 

July 4, 1888
A party of young men fishing at Carolina Beach caught 125 fine fish a short distance from the hotel in less than 2 hours. (Star, 7-6-1888)

 

July 4, 1888
A reunion of Confederate veterans – survivors of the Wilmington Rifle Guards, 18th N.C. Regiment, was held at old Camp Wyatt, near Carolina Beach. (Star, 6-30-1888)

 

July 4, 1888
The Fourth of July holiday was celebrated by hundreds of pleasure seekers at Carolina Beach. Throngs of bathers covered the beach in front of the hotel and a few wrestled with the tireless roaring ocean. Some people not caring for surf bathing roamed along the beach gathering shells and bits of seaweed cast up by the waves.

Others took a drive in the hack that plied hourly between Battery Gatlin on the north and the storm-beaten blockader wrecks on the south. The drive was refreshing, over a firm, smooth beach, and within the sweep of the surf at times. In the evening there was a grand display of fireworks sent off from the bow of the steamer SYLVAN GROVE under Captain Harper‘s direction. The fireworks continued on the river trip from the beach to Wilmington. (Star, 7-6-1888; Messenger, 7-6-1888)

 

July 6, 1888
Along the line of the Carolina Beach railroad (from river to the beach) may be seen huge 100-pound shot. These missiles of war are reminiscences of the attention paid to our coast by the Federal navy during the late unpleasantness. Quite a number of these shot were unearthed during the construction of the railroad. (Messenger, 7-6-1888)

 

July 6, 1888
Captain Harper added a pair of alligators to the attractions at Carolina Beach. He placed them in a special pen, and after they are thoroughly tamed he was planning to permit visitors to ride them up and down the beach. They were about 8 feet long and had been caught in a net in the fresh water lake close to the beach. Another alligator drowned before he could be extricated from the net by the fishermen. (Star, 7-6-1888)

 

July 13, 1888
An immense school of fish made their appearance right in the midst of the surf bathers within a few yards of the store. There were thousands of fish and there was no end to the fun. The bathers caught scores of fish, but they slipped from their hands like eels; and the only successful person was one who procured a basket with which he ‘scooped’ as many as he wanted. These unexpected visitors added much to the sport of the afternoon. (Star, 7-14-1888)

 

July 16, 1888
Between 400 and 500 persons went down to Carolina Beach on the excursion given under the auspices of the Young Catholic Friends Society complimentary to Cardinal Gibbons. The SYLVAN GROVE was decorated for the occasion with flags and bunting, and the band provided sweet strains of music on board the boat.

The trip was enjoyed heartily by all, especially by His Eminence the Cardinal, the Bishops and other clergy. A dinner was tendered their guests by the Society at the Oceanic Hotel, which was very much enjoyed. The dining room was tastily decorated with flowers, and the hotel itself was gay with flags and banners. (Star, 7-14-1888)

 

July 18, 1888
There was a large increase in the number of visitors to Carolina Beach this season over that of the last season. About this time in 1887 the steamer PASSPORT had carried down about 900 visitors, while the steamer SYLVAN GROVE up to this time this season, had already carried down 14,700. This showed an increased attendance of more than 50 per sent. “Under so excellent a management, there is little doubt that Carolina Beach will continue to grow in popularity.” (Messenger, 7-18-1888)

 

July 26, 1888
There were nearly 600 visitors at the beach today, among them a large number of members of the North Carolina State Guard. At 5 p.m. there were nearly 100 bathers in the surf. When Burris‘s fishing boats rode in gracefully over the breakers there was a rush of men, women and children to where they landed to see what luck the fishermen had. It was found that, in two hours, each crew had caught over 300 fish, which included a dozen choice varieties. (Star, 7-27-1888)

 

July 27, 1888
Lieutenant-Colonel Tipton performed on the slack rope again at Carolina Beach. He was to return to his home the next day. (Star, 7-28-1888)

 

August 1, 1888
One of the largest crowds of the season went to Carolina Beach on the steamer SYLVAN GROVE. In addition to the Brooklyn Baptist Church Sunday School, there were several hundred passengers from the city and county. (Star, 8-2-1888)

 

August 2, 1888
The train at Carolina Beach passed within a close gunshot of a bald-headed eagle. He was perched on a dead pine and seemed to understand that none of the passengers had a gun. (Star, 8-3-1888)

 

August 3, 1888
About 300 people went down to Carolina Beach from Wilmington. “The surf bathing was just splendid.” (Star, 8-4-1888)

 

August 8, 1888
About 350 persons went down to Carolina Beach. “They enjoyed the breeze and taking tumble in the surf.” (Star, 8-9-1888)

 

August 14, 1888
Nearly 1,000 persons visited Carolina Beach to hear a lecture by the Adventist Elder Cargyle during the Adventist Conference called to order by Elder Sherrill. During the Conference resolutions were adopted for the establishment of and Advent weekly newspaper. Elder Cargyle‘s lecture was based on the prophecies of Daniel. Elder DuBose concluded the services with prayer, after which the doors of the church were opened and one lady presented herself for baptism. After a short recess for dinner the people assembled at the Sound, near the hotel, where the ordinance of baptism was administered by Elder Cargyle. After this, a delegation from Myrtle Grove church gave Elder Cargyle a pleasant sail around to that place, were he preached that night. The delegates to the Conference deemed the excursion a complete success. Refreshments were furnished by the ladies of the church. (Star, 8-12-1888)

 

August 15, 1888
Bishop Haid, D.D., and Rev. F. Felix visited Carolina Beach. The Bishop and Father Felix left for Greensboro, N.C. the next day, where they were to be entertained by Col. Robert Douglas. Bishop Haid will then return to St. Mary‘s College, Belmont, N.C., his residence, and Father Felix was to visit friends at Raleigh till the opening of the college on September 1st, where he will again assume his duties as Professor of Divinity. (Star, 8-16-1888)

 

August 21, 1888
The old tram road at the Ross rock quarry on the Cape Fear River had been purchased by a Mr. Williams, of Red Springs, N.C. The iron was to be used in building a road from Red Springs to McNeill‘s. All of the wheelbarrows, spades, shovels, drills, etc., were to be sold in a few days at auction. (Messenger, 8-21-1888)

 

August 22, 1888
An excursion for the benefit of the Fifth Street Methodist Church was held on the steamer SYLVAN GROVE to Carolina Beach. Refreshments were served on board the steamer by the ladies of the church. (Star, 8-18-1888)

 

August 22, 1888
Life preservers had been placed along the shore at Carolina Beach so that they could be easily obtained in case of an accident. (Messenger, 8-22-1888)

 

August 28, 1888 …. Federal Point
All the implements from the old Ross rock quarry railroad, viz: 75 wheelbarrows, 20 steel drills, 7 iron bars, 50 drill hammers, 40 pickaxes, 75 shovels, 20 sets of harness, grindstones, and a large quantity of other goods pertaining to railroad building, were to be auctioned at Davis‘ fish house today. (Messenger, 8-26-1888)

 

September 7, 1888
Fireworks and a grand illumination was held at Carolina Beach. The steamer SYLVAN GROVE made two trips to the beach during the day. The last train at the beach was at 9 p.m. (Messenger, 9-5-1888)

 

September 13, 1888
A number of choice building lots were offered at auction at Carolina Beach. The auction was conducted by S.A. Schloss & Company, auctioneers, from Wilmington. “A grand opportunity to secure a seaside home.” (Star, 9-9-1888)

 

September 14, 1888
Several choice lots were offered for sale at St. Joseph‘s, near Carolina Beach by J.L. Winner. This was to be the only sale during the remainder of 1888. (Star, 9-4-1888)

 

September 16, 1888
The beach was still attracting visitors. They were enjoying the many attractions at this favorite resort. (Star, 9-16-1888)

 

1888
A party of gentlemen will go down on the steamer BESSIE, this morning, for a day‘s fishing at Zeke‘s Island. (Messenger, 1888)

 

1889
The delinquent property and taxes due for the year 1888. – FEDERAL POINT TOWNSHIP.

Craig, Heirs of Joseph — 100 acres —— $ 1.70
Davis, Joseph ————– 30 acres ——- $ 4.51
Grissom, Edgar A. ———-  2 acres ——- $ 1.03
Moore Elijah ————— 30 acres ——- $ 3.11
Reynolds, Eliza J. ——– 100 acres ——- $ 2.07
Winner, J. L. ————– 141 acres ——- $ 19.80
Harriss, Wm. J. ———-  80 acres ——– $ 3.20
Mayo, W.E. ————— 400 acres ——- $ 7.70
Wescott, John L. ——— 300 acres ——- $9.20
Source:
Bill Reaves files: Federal Point/Carolina Beach/Kure Beach/Fort Fisher 1725-1994