Federal Point Fishing Piers

 Kure Pier 1923-present

Kure Pier 1923 – present

By Rebecca Taylor

We’ve had quite a few questions about fishing piers lately. With the help of Elaine Henson, and her Carolina Beach: A Postcard History and Al Baird and his new book: North Carolina’s Ocean Fishing Piers here’s a list.

1915 – ? – Carolina Beach Pier Company.
Built by W.E. Yopp, J.C. Herring, A.W. Pate and J.J. Loughlin.

Evening Dispatch June 8, 1915:
“The preliminary work for which is now under way, a 600 foot fishing pier extending out from a 30 room club house to and beyond the famous old blockade runner Beauregard wreck 500 yards south of Carolina Beach pavilion, will be built, the work to be completed before August 1.”

1923-present. Kure Pier
Built by L. C. Kure. The first pier was 22 feet wide and 120 feet long. Rebuilt in 1924 at 32 feet wide and 240 feet long. Daily: 35 cents, Season: $10.00. Current length: 711 feet. Oldest continually operating pier in NC.

Fort Fisher Fishing Pier 1936-1954.

Fort Fisher Fishing Pier
1936-1954.

1936-1954. Fort Fisher Fishing Pier (right)
Land owned by Orrell brothers Louis and Thomas. Constructed by Walter Winner. Destroyed by Hurricane Hazel in 1954.

1947-present. Carolina Beach Fishing Pier.
(aka North Pier) Owners; the Phelps Family.

1956-1996. Center Fishing Pier.
Walter Winner built for J.C. Bame. Owned by Herring Family from the 1960’s on. Destroyed by Hurricanes Bertha and Fran 1996.  Today, the pier remnants are the Golden Sands’ Tiki Bar.

 

Fisherman’s Steel Pier 1956-1977

Fisherman’s Steel Pier 1956-1977

1956-1977. Fisherman’s Steel Pier (left)
L
ocated at Carolina Beach Boardwalk. Built by JR. Bame and J.C. Bame, later joined by R. C. Fergus. Run by McGirt Family from 1960’s to 1970’s.

The pier with the famous “Skyliner” chair lift.

Oral History – Brenda Coffey – Part 1: ‘Living at Kure Beach’

Compiled and edited by Ann Hertzler

Brenda Coffey

Brenda Coffey

Brenda Lee Fry was named for her mother Mary Lee Tyler Fry; her father was Therman J. Fry also know as “Fundy”. Her grandparents were Charles Brover Fry and Ada Sesoms Fry, better known as Ma and Pa Fry. The families moved here in 1943 when Brenda was a little over 2 years old. It was war-time. Her father and grandfather worked in the shipyard in Wilmington and then moved to Kure Beach.

After the war they ran Fundy’s Restaurant. The restaurant was on the south side of the pier on K Avenue. Brenda loved being at the restaurant. Next door to Fundy’s was a little grocery store run by Linwood Flowers. Next door was the small post office. The first post mistress was Mitsn Saunders somewhere mid 1945 to 46. She heard that Mitsn taught school because she always corrected incorrect English.

Fundy’s Restaurant was open in 1946 and 47. They had a serving bar with stools and probably just a few booths serving 35 or 40 people. Fundy’s menu is shown. They prepared all the food – country-style steak, fried chicken, hot dogs, hamburgers, BBQ, and snow cones. They had also operated a BBQ house in Lumberton. Brenda’s mother cooked all the delicious desserts including chocolate pies, fried apple pies, coconut cake and pound cakes. Her father had worked for an automotive parts distributor in Wilmington, and later owned his own automotive business for many years.

They first rented an ocean front house, about 4 blocks south of K Avenue. During World War 11, the rent was controlled by the government. Hurricane Hazel destroyed this home in 1954.

Fundy’s Restaurant 1946 - 1947

Fundy’s Restaurant
1946 – 1947

Around 1946 they bought lots at 109 and 113 South 3rd Street from L. C. Kure. The lots were all 50 by a 100 feet. Their houses were barracks from Fort Fisher purchased for almost nothing after WWII. But you had to pay to move the barracks. Brenda’s Daddy had three barracks moved to the lots – one was for a workshop. Her grandparents lived beside them.

The houses had 3 bedrooms, and a long open living room, dining room, kitchen and bath. They had an electric refrigerator, gas stove, kerosene heater, a septic tank and a well. They didn’t have TV until the late 50s. The phone came probably in the 50s – a party line. They washed dishes by hand.

The round, electric washing machines had ringers on the top. Brenda’s mother filled the washer from the house, the wash water and the rinse water. White sheets and other white things were washed first; and then all the heavy wet washed clothes were lifted up and put through the ringer. The water ran back into the washtub and the washed clothes went into the rinse water. The next batch of clothes was put in the wash water. You started rinsing and picking up the heavy wet, clean clothes and taking them outside to hang on the line. Brenda’s Mother wouldn’t let her near the ringer because Brenda might catch her fingers in the ringers.

Her Mother bought groceries from the A&P at Carolina Beach, located on the corner of Lake Park Blvd and Cape Fear Blvd in the building that is now called Ocean Variety. Later the A&P moved to Cape Fear Blvd where the Sea Merchant is located. It was the only place to buy groceries then unless you bought them from the little grocery store beside Fundy’s restaurant.

Brenda gave Kure Beach town hall a copy of minutes of the Kure Beach Progressive Association that describes their meetings in the 1940s and earning money to buy a fire hose and a fire truck (see our December 2011 Newsletter)

There was only one policeman in Kure Beach. The firemen were volunteers. The first permanent doctor Brenda remembers was Dr. Claude H. Fryar at Carolina Beach who moved to the beach 1952. She remembers Dr. Fryar making a house call to give her a shot when she had the flu.

Brenda remembers a passenger plane that crashed near Bolivia, NC on January 6, 1960, when a bomb planted on board exploded in mid air killing 34 people. Pieces of the plane fell on Kure Beach and Fort Fisher. The plane was a DC6, National Airline Flight 2511 from New York to Miami.

 

Monthly Meeting Report – January, 2012

The Federal Point Historic Preservation Society held its monthly meeting on Monday, January 16 at 7:30 pm at the Federal Point History Center, 1121-A North Lake Park Blvd., adjacent to Carolina Beach Town Hall.

Our speakers this month were Beverly Tetterton and her husband Glenn. They presented a slide program entitled “New Hanover County Names and Neighborhoods” that describes the growth of Wilmington from the 18th century to the modern-day and explains the reasons behind the naming of some areas of New Hanover County.

Beverly Tetterton

Beverly Tetterton

Beverly has served as the Special Collections Librarian, New Hanover Public Librarian at the New Hanover County Public Library for over 30 years. Glenn taught German for 30 years in the New Hanover County Schools.

Together they wrote North Carolina County Fact Book, two volumes which was published in 1998 and 2000. Beverly is the author of Wilmington: Lost But Not Forgotten, published by Dram Tree Books in 2005 and History of the Temple of Israel, published in 2001. She also served as editor of “Strength Through Struggle” The Chronological and Historical Record of the African-American Community in Wilmington, North Carolina, 1865-1950, which was published in 1998 and Wilmington, North Carolina Postcard History, editor, 2000.

Originally from the Williamsburg, Virginia area she attended Peace College, East Carolina University and received her Master of Library Science from North Carolina Central University. Active in a number of Boards and Commissions she has been involved in a number of special projects, many pioneering efforts in the field of digital archives.