Civil War Quiz – by Rebecca Taylor
These questions are based on a great book called The Civil War in Coastal North Carolina by John S. Carbone.
- What was the name of the US ironclad that sank off Hatteras in December 1862?
- Before the war what was North Carolina’s most important export?
- At the beginning of the War, what were the two largest towns in North Carolina?
- What percent of blockade running trips were successful?
- North Carolina’s four ship navy was called what?
- In the summer of 1861 what forts did the Confederacy build along North Carolina’s Outer Banks?
- Which Union General first proposed the attack on the Forts on the Outer Banks?
- What Union General commanded the Union expedition to take Roanoke Island? Who was the Confederate Commander charged with the defense of the Albemarle and Pamlico Sounds?
- The fall of what North Carolina town in March of 1862 “alarmed and outraged” Confederate leaders in North Carolina and Richmond?
- On what island did the Union Army establish a “freedman’s colony?”
- In what NC city was there a major outbreak of Yellow Fever in August 1894?
- What ship enabled the Confederate troops to recapture the town of Plymouth?
Answers: Coastal North Carolina Civil War Quiz
1) Monitor; 2)“naval stores” ie. tar pitch and turpentine; 3) Wilmington and New Berne; 4) 75%; 5) The Mosquito Fleet; 6) Fort Oregon, Fort Hatteras, Fort Clark, and Fort Ocracoke; 7) Benjamin Butler; 8) USA General Ambrose Burnside; CSA General A. P. Hill; 9) New Bern; 10) Roanoke; 11) New Bern; 12) Ironclad CSN Albemarle