“Back to School”
From the Bill Reaves Files: Notes on Early Schools at Federal Point
1870 – Anthony A. Hawes offered his resignation as a member of the School Committee for Federal Point Township, which was accepted, and R. B. Freeman was appointed in his place. WILM.STAR. 12-7-1870.
September 4, 1875 – The Board of Trustees of Federal Point Township met and organized by electing T.M. Gardner, Esq., as chairman. The school committee for the township were (sic) duly qualified as was also the Constable, Balaam Wade, who gave a bond of $500 as a renewal of his former bond, he having been re- elected. The Clerk was granted further time in which to prepare his bond. WILM.WEEKLY STAR, 9-10- 1875
March 9, 1877 – The school house for white pupils was destroyed during a terrible storm. An application made by Stephen Keyes of Federal Point township for $50 from the general school fund to rebuild the schoolhouse in Federal Point Township was granted by the County Commissioners. WILM.STAR, 6-6-1877
April 21, 1877 – Charles M. Epps was the teacher in the public school for colored children in Federal Point Township. His records showed that he had 34 “scholars of African race,” 24 boys and 10 girls. The average attendance was 24. There was only one teacher.
January, 1878 – The Board of Education of New Hanover County ordered that an apportionment of two dollars be made from the school fund per capita to the public schools of the various districts. The apportionment for Federal Point-District No. 3 – 82 white children; amount $164; 84 colored children; amount, $168. WILM.STAR 1-16-1878.