The legacy of H.A. and Ellen Kure – From the Bill Reaves files

From before the turn of the twentieth century, it was clear that the Kure Family was to be instrumental in the development of the southern beaches of New Hanover County. Below are notices from Wilmington newspapers.

April 28, 1900 – Captain Harper, the genial master of the steamer WILMINGTON and proprietor of the Oceanic Hotel at Carolina Beach, said that he had furnished the 20-odd rooms in the Oceanic Hotel and would have them to let this summer. The rooms would be in charge of Mr. Joe Yopp. It had been decided not to have boarding accommodations in the hotel building, and dining arrangements could be made with Mr.H.A.Kure and Dr.J.D.Webster in their well arranged boarding houses nearby. The bath houses were to be in charge of Mr. Vrans Swann, as usual. The saloon and cafe were to be conducted by Mr. W. V. Hardin, of Wilmington. WILM.STAR, 4-29-1900.

May 6, 1900 – Mr. H.A. Kure was thoroughly overhauling and putting in first class the Carolina Beach Hotel. The rooms in the hotel were to be well furnished and were to be rented by the day, week, or month. There were several first class dining halls accessible to the hotel. WILM.MESSENGER, 5-5-1900.

May 7, 1900 – Mr. H.A. Kure went to Carolina Beach with about 25 men to begin to set things to rights for the coming season. He reported that he would have about fifty rooms at his disposal and he was going to change the name of his place from the Kure House to the Carolina Beach Hotel. He also had purchased the cottage of Mr. W.L. Smith, next door to his own place, and he was to build a dining room 46 x 18 feet there. The hotel was to open on May 25th. WILM.DISPATCH, 5-5-1900; 5-24-1900.
read more

Oral History – Isabel Lewis Foushee – Part 2: ‘Lewis Grocery’

By Ann Hertzer – from her interview with Isabell Foushee on January 12, 2007

Lewis Grocery at K Street and 421: Mrs. Lewis, her son, bus station sign and kerosene pump.

Lewis Grocery at K Street and Hwy 421
Mrs. Lewis, her son, bus station sign and kerosene pump.

When Isabel Lewis was 13 or 14, before World War II ended, the family moved to Kure Beach.

Her parents, Ed and Gertie Lewis, opened the Lewis Grocery or Kure Beach Grocery at the stop light at the southwest corner of K Ave at 421 Hwy – an old frame building that has since been torn down and rebuilt in brick.

The Lewis Grocery had 2 gas pumps out front and also had a kerosene pump at the end of the building, sold for cook stoves in cottages. It had an apartment at the end of the grocery store and a little store room. The Citco Station is now there.

A service station was located catty corner from the Lewis store; Canoutas Café where the vacant lot is now.

Gus from Burlington tried to sell them the Big Daddy’s land for $10,000. He might as well have said 10 million because Isabel said they didn’t have two nickels to rub together. Mr. Flowers opened a grocery store on K Avenue. When they moved to Kure Beach, the town was not incorporated yet. The governor appointed Ed Lewis to the first town council.

Because meat was rationed during the war, dad would get a cow or a bull off the island, have it butchered in Lumberton, and bring it back to the store to sell the meat. Isabel stood on a stool by the scales and told how many ration stamps were needed. People were more interested in how many rationing stamps it took than how much money it cost. They wanted some beef. When doors opened at 7 o’clock, a line would be waiting. One day while selling meat, Isabel found out that it was the pet “Booie”.  She just had to walk out.

Her folks built and ran a fish market at the Lewis grocery. Bob Ford (Margaret’s husband) worked at the store some and later rented it. If local fish wasn’t available locally, they’d get it from Failes wholesale fish house in Wilmington.

During the depression we didn’t have enough money to go to a bank. Mother would say “We’re banking and getting change in the Wilmington bank.” Back then, Monkey Junction was a big intersection with a grocery-service store combination and monkeys out back in cages.  About 1950 the Bank of Carolina Beach opened.

Going to the Carolina Beach boardwalk once a week was a special treat. Everyone would sit on the plank boardwalk (now cement) on the ocean side and watch the parade of tourists. We couldn’t wander away. We played around on the board walk and went on the rides. Most of the games came in at the end or after the war – penny pitch tosses, target shooting with rifles, or ball games to knock the milk bottles over – lots of tourist traps.

Many soldiers were down at Fort Fisher. Target planes would fly over. The machine gun embankments were out at the edge of the water. They would have the big guns out there, too. During anti-air craft training the pilings were shot out from under the Ft. Fisher Pier and finally went in the water. Isabel remembers going out at night on the beach and watching fires out on the ocean where the ships had been torpedoed. One German sub shot the land one time just above Kure Beach. During that time, we could not have lights shining at night. Dark blinds were needed.

Fort Fisher brought soldiers in by the 1000s for anti-air craft training. Convoys of big trucks would rumble by for 3 or 4 hours at a time. My folks’ property joined the base property. The MPs went up and down the road that divided the two properties. We could hear the men and the bugle playing taps every afternoon and we knew they were taking the flag down. We got to know a lot of them.

Isabel and her husband built the Center Pier two blocks this side of Wilmington Beach near the big high rise. They opened the pier the first of July; Hurricane Hazel came along October 15, 1954 and took it out. During the eye of Hurricane, her husband came back with a box of fish hooks in one hand and a piece of a reel in the other. It took the pier and the tackle shop down and moved the septic tanks out on the sand.

Isabel was out of high school 12 years before her three boys got up in school. Then she went to Wilmington College for two years and to East Carolina to finish a bachelors and a master’s degree. She then taught English at UNCW.